Idzik 12 Finally Laid to Rest (RIP)

Idzik was horrible match with Rex. Tannenbaum screwed Rex by not having any receivers for Sanchez and the Jets after their 2 championship games and then Idzik made things way worse. 

They paid Holmes and drafted Hill to replace Braylon. It didn’t work but it’s not like they left Sanchez out to dry. They just drafted a sh*tty player.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Going by winning % is such an odd thing, considering Idzik inherited a team with a good chunk of players from the best Jets team in the last 30+ years(including 2 of the best OL we ever had), as well as the best coach we’ve had since Parcells. 

Douglas inherited nothing. Next to nothing, at least. He came into a team with a “star” safety, a QB well on his way to being a bust, and a DT who some from this brilliant fanbase were already labeling a bust. Not even saying he’s done a decent job, but he had to build this team from the ground up. Mostly because he replaced an even worse GM than Idzik. 

Douglas is light years ahead of Idzik and Mac, and IMO it’s not even close. 

Douglas isn't light years ahead of anything. He's an awful GM.

The only thing that matters in this league is winning.

He is what his record says he is.

This team isn't even built to last currently. Filled with injury prone vets on short deals, a QB who is 41 and a bunch of contracts all back loaded at the same time the young talent needs to be paid.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1

If a draft class only just saw its final player finish his career in the league a decade later, it’s not the worst class ever and its GM isn’t the worst ever, either.

It only took 6 years for Maccagan’s 2016 class to “expire”.  His 1st rounder that year, Darron Lee, only lasted 4 years and his 2nd rounder, Hackenberg, never played an NFL snap.

Granted, that was 7 players rather than 12, but the result was the same, only the answer came even quicker - zero useful players emerged from it.  

The following 2017 class was nearly as bad as ‘16 given the opportunity cost of taking back to back Safeties in a loaded draft class.  The other 7 picks in that class were all out of the league by 2020.  

Oh, and the ‘13 class for Idzik wasn’t terrible, at least, outside of the lousy Milliner pick.  Geno Smith has now had a long career in the league, as did Oday Aboushi and Brian Winters.  And  there was a time when Sheldon Richardson was dominant AF.  

Idzik >>>>> Maccagnan.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

If a draft class only just saw its final player finish his career in the league a decade later, it’s not the worst class ever and its GM isn’t the worst ever, either.
It only took 6 years for Maccagan’s 2016 class to “expire”.  His 1st rounder that year, Darron Lee, only lasted 4 years and his 2nd rounder, Hackenberg, never played an NFL snap.
Granted, that was 7 players rather than 12, but the result was the same, only the answer came even quicker - zero useful players emerged from it.  
The following 2017 class was nearly as bad as ‘16 given the opportunity cost of taking back to back Safeties in a loaded draft class.  The other 7 picks in that class were all out of the league by 2020.  
Oh, and the ‘13 class for Idzik wasn’t terrible, at least, outside of the lousy Milliner pick.  Geno Smith has now had a long career in the league, as did Oday Aboushi and Brian Winters.  And  there was a time when Sheldon Richardson was dominant AF.  
Idzik >>>>> Maccagnan.

I relooked at that 2013 offseason. I actually think he did an okay job that year. 2014 was abysmal tho

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, bonkertons said:

Going by winning % is such an odd thing

Perhaps it’s because winning is the point of sports?

And yet his era has an extremely low winning percentage.

Seems to me some fans might care too much about things other than winning games.

JD’s few successes get celebrated, but his long and wide resume of misses and misfires and losing tends to get ignored here. His “better than Idzik” basically comes down to the Sauce/Wilson/Hall draft and his trades away of Darnold and Adams. Beyond that…

• More Ugh 1

59 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or how about this Joe Douglas classique?

IMG_5067.jpeg

In his first NFL game the play of Mekhi Becton alone surpassed all of the combined accomplishments of the Idzik 12.

I also think it's dumb to blame GM's for a guy with no previous injury history suffering catastrophic injuries but to each his own.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

In his first NFL game the play of Mekhi Becton alone surpassed all of the combined accomplishments of the Idzik 12.

I also think it's dumb to blame GM's for a guy with no previous injury history suffering catastrophic injuries but to each his own.

Becton was a bow-legged 6’7, 365 lbs with discipline issues and a weed addiction. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Becton was a bow-legged 6’7, 365 lbs with discipline issues and a weed addiction. 

And still better than anything Idzik ever produced.  Wild.

And I know most folks only bother with the big names and ignore the small school guys, but Cam Clark was a guy who some viewed as a potential starter.  Set the all-time school record for games played (and consecutive games played) before breaking his neck.  I'm not putting that on Joe D.

And bow legged?

Mekhi Becton: Why Jets picked him in 2020 NFL Draft despite 'mistake'

• Upvote 2

Going by winning % is such an odd thing, considering Idzik inherited a team with a good chunk of players from the best Jets team in the last 30+ years(including 2 of the best OL we ever had), as well as the best coach we’ve had since Parcells. 

Douglas inherited nothing. Next to nothing, at least. He came into a team with a “star” safety, a QB well on his way to being a bust, and a DT who some from this brilliant fanbase were already labeling a bust. Not even saying he’s done a decent job, but he had to build this team from the ground up. Mostly because he replaced an even worse GM than Idzik. 

Thank you!!

Well said. A post using logic instead of emotion. Love it, and I see it the same way. JD is a phenom compared to Idzik.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And still better than anything Idzik ever produced.  Wild.

And I know most folks only bother with the big names and ignore the small school guys, but Cam Clark was a guy who some viewed as a potential starter.  Set the all-time school record for games played (and consecutive games played) before breaking his neck.  I'm not putting that on Joe D.

The year prior, Idzik drafted Sheldon Richardson, Geno Smith, Brian Winters, and Dakota Dozier. Becton has played 38 games over four seasons and is very likely out of the league. You can make the argument that Tommy Bohanon will have had a better, more productive career than Becton. Becton didn’t have freak injuries—he had fat guy injuries. He had does-zero-offseason-work injuries. Drafting lazy malcontents falls 100% on a GM. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

It's not odd.  It's what very unserious fans do when they want to ignore the talent and blast the GM because it's what some Jets fans do.

Keep the roster healthy and even Robert Saleh  might be able to get this team to the playoffs which is insane.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

The year prior, Idzik drafted Sheldon Richardson, Geno Smith, Brian Winters, and Dakota Dozier. Becton has played 38 games over four seasons and is very likely out of the league. You can make the argument that Tommy Bohanon will have had a better, more productive career than Becton. Becton didn’t have freak injuries—he had fat guy injuries. He had does-zero-offseason-work injuries. Drafting lazy malcontents falls 100% on a GM. 

So we're going to credit Idzik when his best pick took the better part of a decade to develop but we should fire Joe Douglas because guys who have been here for a year or two aren't studs yet?

His dislocated knee cap was not the result of Greg Van Roten falling on the back of his leg?  C'mon.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

So we're going to credit Idzik when his best pick took the better part of a decade to develop but we should fire Joe Douglas because guys who have been here for a year or two aren't studs yet?

His dislocated knee cap was not the result of Greg Van Roten falling on the back of his leg?  C'mon.

His inability to stay healthy is 1000% the result of him being lazy and not giving a sh*t about his job. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

His inability to stay healthy is 1000% the result of him being lazy and not giving a sh*t about his job. 

I know that's a thought that some people have, but I think the dislocated knee cap played a role in his missing time.  

And he definitely had some growing up to do but from what I saw last season (and up until recently), he dropped the weight and has kept it off so far.

Just now, AFJF said:

I know that's a thought that some people have, but I think the dislocated knee cap played a role in his missing time.  

You want to argue that this freakishly talented 24 year old phenom of a player (pictured), in a league desperate for OL, is still on the street because of a dislocated kneecap suffered four years ago? 

IMG_5069.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You want to argue that this freakishly talented 24 year old phenom of a player (pictured), in a league desperate for OL, is still on the street because of a dislocated kneecap suffered four years ago? 

IMG_5069.jpeg

I think that until he strings together multiple injury free seasons, teams are going to worry about the injury history.  And based on some of the poor advice he's been given over the past couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has convinced him that he's worth more than what he's being offered.

In reality, he should be expecting a 1-year prove it deal for very little money if he wants a job.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

They need to get Davis back here.  He was really playing well at the end of his contract.  

Guessing they’re trying to shave payroll by going the minimums route on backups and special teamers. Rosenblatt has said that he doesn’t expect Davis back.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With Mahomes and Watson on the board! 

I’ll never understand passing on an entire QB class because he fell in love with Darnold because when he scouted him in person he saw Sam’s teammates gravitate towards him on the bench. 

Maccagnan was right to want to change the culture, but wrong in not seeing that Mahomes had that dawg in him too. 

Passing on Mahomes for Darnold.  Wow. 

28 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Becton has played 38 games over four seasons and is very likely out of the league.

Willing to wager on that very likely out of the league statement?

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I think that until he strings together multiple injury free seasons, teams are going to worry about the injury history.  And based on some of the poor advice he's been given over the past couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody has convinced him that he's worth more than what he's being offered.

In reality, he should be expecting a 1-year prove it deal for very little money if he wants a job.

Which poor advice, though? He humiliated Saleh over multiple offseasons by not showing up for camp, and then when he did show up, he did so grossly overweight. He tried keeping his sh*t together long enough to squeeze out a new contract, but he was not good at all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

I’ll never understand passing on an entire QB class because he fell in love with Darnold because when he scouted him in person he saw Sam’s teammates gravitate towards him on the bench. 

Maccagnan was right to want to change the culture, but wrong in not seeing that Mahomes had that dawg in him too. 

Passing on Mahomes for Darnold.  Wow. 

And Darnold wasn’t even draft eligible until the next season!

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Which poor advice, though? He humiliated Saleh over multiple offseasons by not showing up for camp, and then when he did show up, he did so grossly overweight. He tried keeping his sh*t together long enough to squeeze out a new contract, but he was not good at all. 

Namely telling him that while he was, for the first time in years, on the verge of getting back on the football field to show what he could do, decided to do a sit down interview to tell the world that the team was guilty of negligence and malpractice which caused his second injury.  Even if that was true, you keep that to yourself and press on.

I felt at that moment that the Jets (and other teams) would see him as a high risk signing no matter how well he played in 2023.

And was it multiple seasons?  I'm not saying it wasn't, but I only recall once that Saleh asked him publicly to join the team when he was working with his own people in Texas.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

And Darnold wasn’t even draft eligible until the next season!

That’s why I always include the phrase “class” when I remind people of what really happened because the usual response is” herpaderp Darnold came out the next year Herpaderp”

• Haha 1