Idzik 12 Finally Laid to Rest (RIP)

20 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Namely telling him that while he was, for the first time in years, on the verge of getting back on the football field to show what he could do, decided to do a sit down interview to tell the world that the team was guilty of negligence and malpractice which caused his second injury.  Even if that was true, you keep that to yourself and press on.

I felt at that moment that the Jets (and other teams) would see him as a high risk signing no matter how well he played in 2023.

And was it multiple seasons?  I'm not saying it wasn't, but I only recall once that Saleh asked him publicly to join the team when he was working with his own people in Texas.

Missed 2021 OTAs and the bulk of camp because he showed up fat and with plantar fasciitis. Missed 2022 OTAs because he was 400 lbs, had a baby, and tweeted non-stop about streaming GTA5.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Willing to wager on that very likely out of the league statement?

Depends. What do you consider “in the league.” Because he’ll get a training camp invite eventually, end up on someone’s IR, and disappear entirely next offseason

7 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Idzik was horrible match with Rex. Tannenbaum screwed Rex by not having any receivers for Sanchez and the Jets after their 2 championship games and then Idzik made things way worse. 

Jets have never had a decent gm. Tannenbaum showed how bad he was when he let Rex take over the drafts. Tanny let mangini influence draft OL cornerstones like Dbick and mangold, both in first round. Which Rex benefited, strong OL meant strong run game for D/ not so great qb. Highly doubt rex would allow Tanny to pick 2 offensive guys back to back in first round. Once Rex had major influence on drafting, it was like throwing away top picks. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Larz said:

I’ll never understand passing on an entire QB class because he fell in love with Darnold because when he scouted him in person he saw Sam’s teammates gravitate towards him on the bench. 

Maccagnan was right to want to change the culture, but wrong in not seeing that Mahomes had that dawg in him too. 

Passing on Mahomes for Darnold.  Wow. 

IIRC Maccagnan liked Mahomes a lot too, although that may just be spin (somehow every time a guy Maccagnan passed on turned out to be a stud, which was an annual occurrence, it would leak that we almost took him). But the idea of passing on a QB you like because you might get a chance to draft another one you like better the next year is just so insane it’s hard to believe.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, papz187 said:

With Dakoata Dozier officially retiring, that abomination of a draft class is finally completely out of the NFL.

https://heavy.com/sports/new-york-jets/dakota-dozier-john-idzik-draft-class/

All of those planes were well deserved!!!

Was there a worse GM in Jets history than John Idzik?

Sent from my SM-F731U using Tapatalk

Joe Douglas is close.

Certainly last seasons off-season was easily worse than anything Idzik had done.

• Thumb Down 2
  • More Ugh 1

Will McDonald will have to have had Gene Splicing therapy with Lawrence Taylor and Aaron Donald for last year's class to be anything.

Tippmann was a solid selection.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

IIRC Maccagnan liked Mahomes a lot too, although that may just be spin (somehow every time a guy Maccagnan passed on turned out to be a stud, which was an annual occurrence, it would leak that we almost took him). But the idea of passing on a QB you like because you might get a chance to draft another one you like better the next year is just so insane it’s hard to believe.

I’m a little torn on this. A GM has to marry the QB he drafts early in Rd 1. It’s my thought that you shouldn’t draft a QB if you’re squishy about him, because if your squish gets confirmed, that QB kills your program and sends you into triage mode. There were ample reasons to be skeptical of Mahomes, and even Watson—granted, not so much that you’d draft a clunky strong safety over them—but I feel like the Zach Wilson pick was forced by the idea of having to draft the toolsy QB because you’re at 2 instead of waiting to shoot your shot on a guy you really believe in. The GM should wait on the guy he thinks could work best for him

• Post of the Week 1

Jeez, even a thread about how much a different Jets GM sucks still turns into the endless excuse-making for why it's never JD's fault he's been so continually awful despite being given more mulligans and completely unearned second/third/fourth chances than anyone.

Of course with the Jets it's never really about how good of a job anyone has actually done. Rather, it's so very often just a question of who is slightly less awful than the others, which is still sadly debatable. In this case, the best thing Idzik has going for him is he was out of here much quicker than any of them, so didn't create as big of a mess.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Depends. What do you consider “in the league.” Because he’ll get a training camp invite eventually, end up on someone’s IR, and disappear entirely next offseason

He will sign with someone before the start of the season, probably a one year deal, and will be on that team’s roster this year. Much to the chagrin of many posters, that team could very well be the NY Jets. I am not a Becton fan but he is a young OT with starting experience. Once he realizes that he isn’t going to get a big contract with anyone he will sign a one year prove it deal with someone.

1 minute ago, Joejet said:

He will sign with someone before the start of the season, probably a one year deal, and will be on that team’s roster this year. Much to the chagrin of many posters, that team could very well be the NY Jets. I am not a Becton fan but he is a young OT with starting experience. Once he realizes that he isn’t going to get a big contract with anyone he will sign a one year prove it deal with someone.

I will bet you $50 to St Jude’s that Mekhi Becton doesn’t start 10 or more games in the NFL the rest of his career. 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He had two drafts and the idzik 12 was 2014, like 10 years ago and the last one is gone.

He drafted terribly but his plan was actually sound and he actually had some olineman hang around the league for years.

McCagnan drafted like 3 oline in 5 years

Joe Douglas's 2020 draft is damn near as bad as idziks

Idziks winning % as a gm was like .380

Douglas is like .298

Right now, Douglas should be judged by the great draft of 3 years ago, and the drafting of Zach Wilson.

Unfortunately, Zach is so bad, that his drafting almost completely wipes out the great draft of 3 years ago.

Douglas made a great trade of Jamal Adams, but some bad free agent signings along the way.

To me, Joe Douglas, I grade him as a "C".  Not a C+, but not a C- either.

I doubt anyone rates him higher than me, but I do like what he's done so far this year in free agency.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

I’ll never understand passing on an entire QB class because he fell in love with Darnold because when he scouted him in person he saw Sam’s teammates gravitate towards him on the bench. 

Maccagnan was right to want to change the culture, but wrong in not seeing that Mahomes had that dawg in him too. 

Passing on Mahomes for Darnold.  Wow. 

Especially when it wasn't a guarantee he'd even be able to draft Sam. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

In the Breer article he stated that Maccagnan felt Watson and Mahomes were fine as QBs but was more interested in a guy that could change the culture. I don’t remember the exact words but something along the lines of charisma or alpha male stuff. That’s the really insane part, Mahomes has more charisma and alpha male stuff than Darnold. 

the part that always sticks out to me is Maccagnan went to a USC/ Cal game to scout a Cal player and some guy asked him who he was there to see and after Maccagnan told him ( Goff maybe don’t remember) the guy something like “forget him look at this Darnold kid he saved the whole program “ 

I think that seed grew and grew and grew. 

I don’t remember how it’s laid out but Breer said that Maccagnan was prepared to draft mayfield or darnold but had a clear preference for Darnold which is why after the giants took Barkley someone said to Maccagnan “you really do have a horseshoe in your ass” which is weird enough lol. 

So yeah Maccagnans plan came together on one hand but the “soft tank” he tried to accomplish by cutting decker and Harris was partially muted by signing McCown  who won too many games lol  

just think about the charisma and alpha male stuff Allen and Jackson have if you want to ruin your day. Instead of trading 3 seconds to move up he could have traded down and actually had a team around his new QB.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I will bet you $50 to St Jude’s that Mekhi Becton doesn’t start 10 or more games in the NFL the rest of his career. 

So now you are setting up a moving target. At first you said that he would be out of the league and when I called out how ridiculous that was you had me define what was in the league. When I did that you now want to go to how many games he starts. What’s next, he won’t make any pro bowls? Stick to the original won’t be in the league, which is what I proposed, or bow out and admit that it was a crazy statement.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joejet said:

So now you are setting up a moving target. At first you said that he would be out of the league and when I called out how ridiculous that was you had me define what was in the league. When I did that you now want to go to how many games he starts. What’s next, he won’t make any pro bowls? Stick to the original won’t be in the league, which is what I proposed, or bow out and admit that it was a crazy statement.

We are going to define it as “on a roster”? Ok. I will bet you $50 to St Jude’s that he’s not on an active NFL gameday roster for ten games the rest of his career. 

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

And still better than anything Idzik ever produced.  Wild.

And I know most folks only bother with the big names and ignore the small school guys, but Cam Clark was a guy who some viewed as a potential starter.  Set the all-time school record for games played (and consecutive games played) before breaking his neck.  I'm not putting that on Joe D.

And bow legged?

Mekhi Becton: Why Jets picked him in 2020 NFL Draft despite 'mistake'

t0m’s a poet

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We are going to define it as “on a roster”? Ok. I will bet you $50 to St Jude’s that he’s not on an active NFL gameday roster for ten games the rest of his career. 

You are on

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As an aside, I think Becton is a bum too but the NFL gives young guys with measurables 2nd 3rd and 4th chances.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joejet said:

As an aside, I think Becton is a bum too but the NFL gives young guys with measurables 2nd 3rd and 4th chances.

We’ll see. It depends how much Becton wants to do it. He’s pocketed $18 mil in contracts, which probably means $10 mil in the bank right now unless he squandered it. If he shows up to these workouts weighing an ounce over 380, it’s hard to see any team taking him seriously. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

We’ll see. It depends how much Becton wants to do it. He’s pocketed $18 mil in contracts, which probably means $10 mil in the bank right now unless he squandered it. If he shows up to these workouts weighing an ounce over 380, it’s hard to see any team taking him seriously. 

I don’t even think he’s good.  His feet are slow, his instincts are below average and his drive is even worse.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

He will “eat” through 10 million in 5 years. Mama will tell him to get his fat ass in shape cause he has a baby to feed.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I don’t even think he’s good.  His feet are slow, his instincts are below average and his drive is even worse.  

Yeah, there’s that, too. Even outside of the effort questions, the fact is that there are some very professional—if league average— tackles still on the street. Why would anyone want Becton over, say, Donovan Smith or Bakhtiari?

1 minute ago, Anthony Jet said:

Idzik 12 wasn’t a strong draft in general

Possibly but all the more reason to trade up, with those 12 picks, so you don't have to hard-hitting safety in the first round.  Or he could have just taken Brandin Cooks. 

I think Rex was likely overly involved in those run of first round picks after Sanchez - Kyle Wilson, Wilkerson, Coples, Milliner, Richardson,  and Pryor. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, there’s that, too. Even outside of the effort questions, the fact is that there are some very professional—if league average— tackles still on the street. Why would anyone want Becton over, say, Donovan Smith or Bakhtiari?

For a while i believed the jets would just take bowers at 10 and move on.  Now I’m thinking there are legit trade back scenarios at play, given all the other guys they’re scouting.  I would not be the least bit surprised if the jets traded back with denver, LV or even New Orleans.  I think the jets can still go OL in round 1 and then hit skill positions day 2 esp. with an extra pick.  That would be an ideal scenario, you really fix the OL situation and then tap into the depth at wr day 2. 

In his first NFL game the play of Mekhi Becton alone surpassed all of the combined accomplishments of the Idzik 12.

I also think it's dumb to blame GM's for a guy with no previous injury history suffering catastrophic injuries but to each his own.

At one point Becton ballooned up to 389 in college and in every report I read said if he doesn’t keep his weight down, he will be injury prone. It wasn’t like it was a huge shock when it happened.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It's not odd.  It's what very unserious fans do when they want to ignore the talent and blast the GM because it's what some Jets fans do.

Keep the roster healthy and even Robert Saleh  might be able to get this team to the playoffs which is insane.

Unserious fans who think the guy who picked all the players and hired the coach should be responsible for the results on the field. Crazy, right?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1