Jets have 21 open roster spots, how will they fill them?

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

<Joe Douglas, head in hands, plotting>

”What if I just traded 21 future thirds for other teams’s salary dumps?”

<newly satisfied, takes big honkin’ bite of his lukewarm McMuffin>

You’re a menace bro 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Here's How the Jets MIGHT fill those 21 remaining roster spots, by Priority:

1. Wide Receiver #3 - 1st or 3rd Round Draft Pick or Veteran Free Agent (Brock Bowers Would Count Here)
  2. Starting Caliber / Elite Backup Offensive Lineman - 1st or 3rd Round Draft Pick or Veteran Free Agent
  3. Running Back #2 - 3rd or 4th Round Pick or Veteran Free Agent
  4. Starting Caliber Safety - 4th Round Pick or Veteran Free Agent (Ashtyn Davis?)
  5. Quarterback #3 - 4th Round or 6th Round Pick or Veteran Free Agent
  6. Backup Center - 4th Round or 6th Round Pick or Veteran Free Agent (Connor McGovern?)
  7. Backup Cornerback - 7th Rounder or Priority Undrafted Free Agent (or Justin Hardee?)
  8. Backup Linebacker - 7th Rounder or Priority Undrafted Free Agent  
  9. "Camp Body" QB - Priority Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  10. "Camp Body" LB - Priority Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet (Sam Equaveon?)
  11. "Camp Body" DB - Priority Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  12. "Camp Body" RB - Priority Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  13. "Camp Body" WR -Priority Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  14. "Camp Body" TE - Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  15. Camp Body" OL - Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet (Billy Turner?)
  16. "Camp Body" OL - Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  17. "Camp Body" OL - Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  18. Camp Body DL - Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  19. "Camp Body" DL - Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  20. "Camp Body" LB - Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet
  21. "Camp Body" DB - Undrafted Free Agent or Journeyman Vet

As usual, excellent job!  I have a backup guard rather than backup center .. in the same general rounds.

Schweitzer can play both, but we need some more guard depth due to AVT injury history.

If we cannot trade back, that first rounder might be filled by someone who can play both OT spots AND guard, at least guard for a year.  

Many have said Fuaga is a RT exclusively so my bet is he is out.

Hoping Safety is filled via FA or Ashtyn.

Would love to walk out of this draft with a starting LT and starting WR#2 (#3 this year) of the future.  Premium positions that are ideally filled via the draff.  Plus a developmental QB pick and if we can trade back even more WR and/or OL depth.

Neutral on where our backup RB comes from but you are right that we need a good one.  

• Upvote 1

Receiver they could double dip if they want to move on from 2+ of the UDFA group.

Think given Izzy isn’t awesome in pass pro they need that and are more likely to find it in the veteran market. Fourth round would be fine though.

Safety could be both veteran and draft honestly. Depends how they like JBC as a developmental guy.

I think they could punt QB. Only carried two last year. Day three if they like somebody, otherwise whatever.

Like McGovern on the cheap in a win now year as long as they’re planning on picking up AVT’s option. If they do they’ll have the starting iOL back next year. Fine as a late punt though. Schweitzer and McGovern can play both guard and center.

Corner they had four opening day last year, four or five now. That said this moves up this list if they don’t get Reed extended - like fourth round type need.

Linebacker their five opening day guys last year are on the roster, think they can just run it back.

Edge they’re a guy short of where they were last year if it’s not Holmes - I could see them adding competition.

Defensive tackle they don’t go nuts but Arizona had terrible DT’s last year so getting the big fella from there competition would be reasonable.

Always worth keeping an eye on a fullback type.

Why is RB2 considered such a hole?

Maybe they might want to also add more of a bruiser for obvious short yardage everyone knows is coming, but why is Abanikanda's career already over? Because of a ypc figure typically with 1-3 touches? That's hardly a statistically reliable average. Every HOF and all pro RB has had a multitude of games where the first 1-2 carries didn't yield gainers. 

More than 3 touches?

4 carries for 8 yards (worth noting Hall had just 12 yards on 6 carries himself that game)

9 carries for 43 yards (almost 5 ypc, though yeah it was against Washington)

I wish he'd have seen more action after releasing Cook, and probably would have if Hall wasn't flirting with 1000 yards individually, leading to him getting 70 carries his way the last 3 games. 

If the concern is he's not had enough experience to rely upon him as RB2, especially in picking up blitzes as a rookie, I don't see why adding another 4th-5th round rookie would necessarily be a cure for that ill. 

• Upvote 2

I don't know if all these guys are completely washed, but there seems to be a decent supply of UFA running backs currently available.  A thumper like Dobbins could be interesting on a low $$ prove it deal coming off an Achilles injury...

rb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hardee is not going to come back to play corner.  He didn't even play there when Reed, and Sauce were out with concussions against the Eagles and Carter II hurt his hamstring.  They rolled with Craig James and Tae Hayes.  They beat the Eagles with those guys.  Hardee is straight special teams.  They only lost Hall at CB, and they signed Isaiah Oliver to an actual contract and he basically played half the Niners snaps last season.  I'd have been happy to fill that with whatever practice squad/UDFA/late round type they think has potential. 

I think RB and S are two places that you go veteran bargain shopping late in the year.  I am all for young backs, but if you are worried about pass pro there will be known quantities available late and cheap.  There are a decent run of vet S left on the market and one will be sitting there if they want.  

I am good with the O line.  I only want to add truly elite or true potential.  I am okay with Schweitzer backing up at G/C.  I would be happy with one of the road grading RT/G type to push for playing time and back up.  

They need bodies at WR.  I would be happy with one of top 3 or Bowers.  Otherwise hopefully somebody solid in a trade down.  They are all sure going early in our mock.  Guys I like such as Wilson, Leggette and Corley are going considerably earlier than projected. 

3rd QB is totally for young guy with potential IMO.  Preferably a guy with a cannon, but whatever.  I am basically at the anyone but Zach point.  

I think they are the same at LB as they were last year.  Why do they need more?  They like Surratt and he barely saw the field.  Same with DT.  They lost Woods and Jefferson and added Kinlaw and Fotu.  They had plenty of camp body level guys that I liked there last year.  Smart, Holmes and Hector are nobodies, but they had NFL snaps before they got here and I think they were solid enough in the system.  They still have Marquis Spencer who played for Denver in 2021 but was hurt and is another practice squad level guy with NFL experience.  Happy to upgrade, but not an issue with carrying those guys either.

I think Bawden is still around at FB.  They obviously like him.  Is anybody good available?  

• Upvote 2

Tyler Owens - late round safety. special teamer in hopes of grooming into safety. explosive flat earther who doesn't believe in space but seems like the type of prospect you groom for a special teams ace. was expected to run a fast 40 before injury.

Trey Taylor - most intriguing to me in terms of day 3 safety prospect.  related to Ed Reed, high character, high IQ prospect. award winner from Air Force has got to carry some weight.

Both high RAS scores. This regime seems to lean towards those measurables on day 3.

image.thumb.jpeg.f85a6a5e5361fa421701031f13d85af6.jpeg

• Upvote 2

whats the $ market on ashtyn. be nice to keep a player who actually developed here.
i give the kid cred for hanging in when it looked like he had no aptitude for nfl.

• Upvote 1