Talk of Bowers at 10 Picking up Steam; Looking at Day 3 QB’s

10 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Brock Bowers is the best athlete in this class.

JetNation can't handle this because of the "TE" before his name and because he's 3/4 inch shorter than other players who have "TE" before their names.

Brock Bow-Wow  is such a great athlete that he did everything he could

to avoid being tested. Which if he performed well on his test he would

had been taken earlier then the tenth spot

B

6 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

B

Your obsession with watching football players run around in their underwear is concerning.

If you want to see Brock run, there are 40 Georgia games to choose from over the last three years. In those 40 games, you'll see him catch 175 passes for 2500 yards and 26 TDs while carrying Georgia on his back to a national title. 

Trust your eyes.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

But you wouldn't want to use Bowers like Conklin. And the concern is that Hack would just plop into TE in the existing playbook and call the plays.

I assure you that Bowers can do everything Conklin can do down the field, and much more. Brock should have 100 touches in this offense.

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

I assure you that Bowers can do everything Conklin can do down the field, and much more. Brock should have 100 touches in this offense.

I'm saying that ideally you'd carve out a more dynamic role for Bowers than a traditional TE. He should be lined up in different positions, doing more WR type stuff.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, jetsons said:

not if Rodgers is on his back most of the time.

Obviously.  That's why you add more depth at tackle.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, jetsons said:

same as your magical undersized te. 

This undersized argument is almost as silly as the slow argument. 

You act like he’s 220 

Also can you explain how him being “only” 240 hinders him? 

can you then explain how it’s not possible to put on the five lbs to get to Laporta weight or the 10 to get to kelce/kittle weight

because right now it seems like you heard a word somewhere and regurgitated it

21 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Brock Bowers is the best athlete in this class.

JetNation can't handle this because of the "TE" before his name and because he's 3/4 inch shorter than other players who have "TE" before their names.

I agree the TE label is a part of what is putting some people off. Especially when you add "Jets" and "first round draft pick" ... it immediately conjures up memories of the past, none of which are good.

I'd also say the labels that I see a lot are probably the more concerning ones ..."generational" and "unicorn" in particular :D. These scare me off of a player far more than what position they play as it leads to so much overhyping of the player and his potential impact. Imagine we draft him and "all" he does is have ~800 yards receiving and 6 TDs in his first year, the disappointment will be very loud.

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

This only matters if it was all he's capable of doing.  Just because Georgia used him a certain way doesn't mean he can't be used in other ways.  And if you watch enough of him you'll see that he can work down the field.

Also important to note that Aaron Rodgers throws roughly 60 percent of his pass at or around the line of scrimmage.  Rodgers and Bowers are actually a perfect pairing given their respective skill sets.

Having Rodgers get the ball into the hands of his playmakers quickly - and not standing in the pocket for ages - would be a very good thing for our 2024 season. :-) 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd be fine with taking Bowers but like you've said I do worry about Hackett not using him well. 

This is where I think a lot of angst comes from about Bowers - not about the player, but the OC that will need to make best use of the player. 

Which should never be a reason not to draft a guy, although the fan perspective is more understandable. It's not like JD will be sitting thinking, "I can't draft this guy, that idiot OC will never use him properly". :D

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Agree with the "TE" designation being a major issue. If he was designated a "WR", people might view him differently.

He sure as sht wouldn't be at #10 as a WR. IMHO  :)

Just now, The Crusher said:

At the end I’d the day who knows? But, AR8 likes to throw behind line of scrimmage and this kid seems to be a yards after catch guy. So maybe? As long as it’s not a Safety at 10 I’ll survive. 

If it’s not Bowers, I’ll tell ya right now, I’m going on a hunger strike.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm saying that ideally you'd carve out a more dynamic role for Bowers than a traditional TE. He should be lined up in different positions, doing more WR type stuff.

I am more inclined to go heavy set with 2 or 3 TEs and laugh as safeties/LBs try to cover him on play action.

• Upvote 2

You know, if you added up all the reasons people are saying you shouldn’t take Bowers, you’d have the worst tight end prospect in history

Small

probably slow since he didn’t run 

fumbles

cant win contested balls

not a good route runner 

One trick pony

only had good games against kingsborough community college and yeshiva university

walking injury

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I agree the TE label is a part of what is putting some people off. Especially when you add "Jets" and "first round draft pick" ... it immediately conjures up memories of the past, none of which are good.

I'd also say the labels that I see a lot are probably the more concerning ones ..."generational" and "unicorn" in particular :D. These scare me off of a player far more than what position they play as it leads to so much overhyping of the player and his potential impact. Imagine we draft him and "all" he does is have ~800 yards receiving and 6 TDs in his first year, the disappointment will be very loud.

If Bowers' has 800 yards receiving, that would be 7th best all-time amongst rookie TEs. 6 TDs would place him 6th all-time amongst rookie TEs. Those are "baseline" numbers that I would expect from him and likely where the over/under would be for him coming in as a rookie.

I expect him to surpass both of these numbers. He is a generational talent but like many players (see: Pitts, Kyle) his success is partly dependent on coaches who will scheme the ball to him and a QB who can deliver it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2