****The Official Day 3 of the 2024 NFL Draft****

So if I’m understanding correctly, putting aside the swap of 4 (111) for a 3rd next yeaer, with their second pick in the 4th round the Jets took two fifth round picks to drop about 40 spots. Then a few hours later they used two 6th round picks to jump about 14 spots into the end of the 5th. Doesn’t sound like good value on at least the second move — maybe bad value on both.

I’m not going to kill JD for his wheeling and dealing in this draft. Overall, I like most of it and feel like he got the better of most of the trades. But I think he got a little too cute today.

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I do think drafting 2 RBs is bizarre and completely ridiculous. But if the Jets draft a receiver and he gets beat out by Brownlee then it’s a wasted pick and it’s panic because “JD can’t draft a receiver to replace a UDFA.” 

Obviously drafting a receiver who can’t beat out Brownlee would be terrible…but I think it’s incumbent upon a fifth year GM to be able to identify a receiver in the draft who’ll be better than Brownlee? Not being cheeky about this, but it was just weird to keep trading down only to end up with what they did. I could see doing that if your analytics team ID’ed a pack of elite measurables dudes worth putting into the system, but it’s like they did the opposite. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Wasn’t specific to you individually.

It was to this, generally.

Like clockwork.

It was simply a statement based on what pretty much every College Football analyst and "Draft Guru" was saying before he snapped his Fibula on a scramble late in the season. Aside from him and Olu, the rest of the draft was an incoherent mess and complete trash.

Happy?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Jordan Travis would have been a 1st rounder had he not gotten hurt. He is better than JJ, Nix, and has similar talent and ability to Penix.  

Arm strength looks sub-Kellen Clemens.

Looks like he needs a run-up to get the ball downfield.

Sort of like a javelin thrower.

On 4/27/2024 at 4:01 PM, T0mShane said:

Maybe they pulled it from his high school testing? It‘s not shown anywhere else I can see. 

Agree, only place I've found it - fair to be skeptical about that #, I certainly am.

Frustrating considering we could've sat and picked two guys that we know were workout freaks in the Tennessee or Louisville RBs.

It's also day 3, that's what I tell myself to feel better.

Fair breakdown here:

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Arm strength looks sub-Kellen Clemens.

Looks like he needs a run-up to get the ball downfield.

Sort of like a javelin thrower.

Kellen Clemens had a ******* cannon. DO you even WATCH football?? LOL

• Haha 1

Just now, Jet_Engine1 said:

It was simply a statement based on what pretty much every College Football analyst and "Draft Guru" was saying before he snapped his Fibula on a scramble late in the season. Aside from him and Olu, the rest of the draft was an incoherent mess and complete trash.

Happy?

Here’s Brugler on Jordan Travis: smaller guy, shoulder and leg injuries, ok athleticism, pop-gun arm, good leader. Sounds like a fun college quarterback. 

IMG_5163.jpeg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Maybe they pulled it from his high school testing? It‘s not shown anywhere else I can see. 

he didn't run a 40. it's a made up time. If a 6'2" 235lb back ran a 4.4 with his production at a school like Wisconsin, he'd be a top 40 pick. He probably runs 4.7 and that's why he "let his film do the talking."

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Backups have a lot or value.

A good backup currently costs about $5-10 million per year. That ain’t chump change and costs for a reason.

If he becomes a decade long back up from a 5th round pick, that’s a win. Anything more is gravy.

Let’s hope he can play right away if necessary.

Tyrod is more likely to be knocked out of his next appearance than to emerge healthy.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Here’s Brugler on Jordan Travis: smaller guy, shoulder and leg injuries, ok athleticism, pop-gun arm, good leader. Sounds like a fun college quarterback. 

IMG_5163.jpeg

He won’t be the longterm solution after Rodgers is gone, but he has all the characteristics of a high-level backup who spends 10+ years in the league if he stays healthy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He won’t be the longterm solution after Rodgers is gone, but he has all the characteristics of a high-level backup who spends 10+ years in the league if he stays healthy.

If you get a good backup qb in the 5th round that’s great use of a draft pick. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Obviously drafting a receiver who can’t beat out Brownlee would be terrible…but I think it’s incumbent upon a fifth year GM to be able to identify a receiver in the draft who’ll be better than Brownlee? Not being cheeky about this, but it was just weird to keep trading down only to end up with what they did. I could see doing that if your analytics team ID’ed a pack of elite measurables dudes worth putting into the system, but it’s like they did the opposite. 

Fifth round WRs are generally not good. RAS correlation to receiver and running back success is basically nonexistent especially outside of the first round. Brownlee is literally a high RAS prospect. There is no science to this, outrage is manufactured. 

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I am correct then, aren’t I?  😂

Or you saying Travis’ arm is stronger?

I am saying that you are a dummy.

😆 

For once, they're taking a talented kid late that will have time to develop as a QB instead of overdrafting the flavor of the month, immediately tossing him on the field, and watching him implode and fail. 

Travis isn't Bryce Petty, Hackenberg, Ainge, Bollinger, Clemens, or some other scrub the Jets usually pick in the mid rounds. If it works, it's brilliant.  If he doesn't, it's just a fifth rounder, but dude has the ability and skill to have a shot at turning into something.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

It was simply a statement based on what pretty much every College Football analyst and "Draft Guru" was saying before he snapped his Fibula on a scramble late in the season.

If you say so.

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sure, but why use a fifth rounder on a guy who might be your backup QB in two years? You can sign guys to do that in March every year

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Sure, but why use a fifth rounder on a guy who might be your backup QB in two years? You can sign guys to do that in March every year

Because as we say here day 3 is largely lottery tickets.  Do you think SF thought purdy would become an mvp candidate and almost win them the Super Bowl?  You take your shots, especially on qbs.  

When was the last time the jets developed a qb and kept him?  Pennington was on his way but he got hurt too much.  Clemens was a long term backup.  Geno punched his way out of here and became good when he left.  We haven’t developed a qb here in 20 years.  Take a shot on a guy who at least was good in college and isn’t a douchebag

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Where in the NFL has that proven out?

I base this statement on the reality that the jets haven’t developed a qb in 2 decades so if they were to use a 5th rounder and he became a reliable backup qb that would be one less position they’d have to overpay for in the open market.  

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Fifth round WRs are generally not good. RAS correlation to receiver and running back success is basically nonexistent especially outside of the first round. Brownlee is literally a high RAS prospect. There is no science to this, outrage is manufactured. 

What’s the hit rate on undersized 24 year old fifth round QBs? I was saying to look at RAS for developmental OL prospects, where there’s plenty of correlation. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t mind it from a cost perspective and just for the slightest chance that just maybe he does turn out to be the guy after sitting behind Rodgers and Tyrod for a couple of years.

Even if he’s just decent backup material after two years, you’re paying him a couple hundred grand instead of $6+ million a year for a vet FA.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

What’s the hit rate on undersized 24 year old fifth round QBs? I was saying to look at RAS for developmental OL prospects, where there’s plenty of correlation. 

That’s for sure valid in terms of finding the players but would you be comfortable with a 5th round rookie at IOL4 regardless of RAS score? 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

24 isn’t bad for a qb b/c they can play longer than other positions.  Again, if the guy is a decent backup qb that’s better use than taking a marginal wr who will struggle to beat out the priority FAs they sign

What position will we go with the last pick? What positions might have a player who could reasonably make the team or at least the practice squad?

• QB - N
  • RB - N
  • WR - Y 
  • TE - Y
  • OT - N
  • IOL - Y
  • DT - Y
  • Edge - Maybe
  • LB - Y
  • CB - N
  • S - Y
  • K/P - N

So we are probably going to look for a WR, TE, IOL, DT, Edge, LB, S. Of that grouo, there’s a ton of value at IOL and DT

My Guess:

DT Keith Randolph, Illinois 

26 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Let’s hope he can play right away if necessary.

Tyrod is more likely to be knocked out of his next appearance than to emerge healthy.

I think 2 years of learning with some NFL workout regimen which can beef up that arm strength could have Travis Jordan as a potential starter.