With a draft class set to provide little contribution in '24, the NY Jets need to turn to the '23 draft class to find success this season

6 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Fun!

What IF, all these players they took this year, suck and/or arent ready to contribute this season in your scenario?  Yikes!  Relying on a bust LT?  A bust RB?  A bust WR?  Scary! 

I know how we could mitigate that...relying on the '23 class to step up! 

Boy, there is nothing better than a good 'what if.'  OR....we could just see how it all plays out.  If Rodgers goes down in four plays again this year, none of it will matter, because Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Travis, whoever else they sign won't get us there. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone who thinks Fashanu will not be a difference maker is mistaken.  With average performance, we will need the third tackle to start at least 4 games.  If you watched, our offense shut down when the backups were in.  Fashanu gives us a solid chance in 4 more games.  If he makes a difference in 1, that could be the wild card.

If Williams misses any games, Corley will be critically important.  Williams is slowed with an ankle injury.  Corley is another safety valve like Breece.

Breece is a stud, but no one can carry the ball 35 times a week.  Braelon will get the tough yards, the red zone yards and be there to block for Rodgers when needed.

No shade on the 2023 guys, but the offensive support will come from this years draft.  Of course, it would be great if Abanakandi develops and finds a way to block a wood be pass-rusher.

49 minutes ago, Flashlite80 said:

Of course, it would be great if Abanakandi develops and finds a way to block a wood be pass-rusher.

That's not why you draft an Izzy.

You draft him to break a few HR runs for long scores.

Trying to turn him into a blocking back is dumb.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Claymation said:

Tippy? What is wrong with you people.

No lineman wants to be called "Tippy". 

the funny part of that was how he was like a guy called joe, his mom calls him joseph but we call him tippy....and i'm thinking i don't think i've ever seen him called that

page wwe GIF

19 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

the funny part of that was how he was like a guy called joe, his mom calls him joseph but we call him tippy....and i'm thinking i don't think i've ever seen him called that

Tipp Man. Everyone will respect that!

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

What's with this "We" crap?

13 hours ago, PepPep said:

This is simply incorrect. Olu, Corley and Allen could all have massive impacts. It just depends on whether or not our starters can stay healthy. 

18 hours ago, rangerous said:

i'm not so sure about that.  imagine if smith misses his usual 5 games and fashanu starts in his place and keeps rodgers from getting sacked or pressured.  it may not show up in the game stat line but it would be extremely important especially if gwilson or williams was on the other end of the completed pass.

This is everyone's favorite scenario, which I get because history has shown Smith wont play every game but what if this year, that stint of missed games happens early.  Hypothetically, week 1 he goes down...you think they're putting a rookie LT to protect Rodgers blindside?  Or do you think they'd turn to Carter Warren who played decent down the stretch last season?  

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who said it was the perfect draft?  Who said every player is going to be an absolute stud?  Who said each player is going to do exactly what they were drafted to do at an extremely high level!?  Who said JD achieved perfection?

Other than you in your over the top recap.  As we all know no one listed OL, WR, RB & backup QB as needs going into the draft.  

I guess you didnt read Larz's post?

I'm sorry that saying that the Jets need to rely on '23 draft class, is an over the top take.  What on earthy was I thinking.  Please accept my sincerest apologies for offending you and hope this post make you feel better today! 

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Hall is the same.  He's the star.

Izzy was an unknown because of the injury, and a near-total lack of use once healthy till late.  I'm hopeful for a good showing from him this year as opposed to last.

Michael Carter sucked here, any argument we should have kept him is just lols mate.  He was a bad runner here, and a horrible ball-dropping receiver.

I like the idea well enough of the big bruiser RB (if used right, a clear-cut TBD), but I'm not gonna white-knight two picks I never would have made (either RB).  I'm also not going to cry any tears over two depth-tier JAG's like Carter and Bam.

I think the room is better than it was, yes.  We'll see when they play the games.

Cool, just not sure how you got to 10x more talented.  

I personally, disagree and would take last years original RB room over this one.

12 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Boy, there is nothing better than a good 'what if.'  OR....we could just see how it all plays out.  If Rodgers goes down in four plays again this year, none of it will matter, because Tyrod Taylor, Jordan Travis, whoever else they sign won't get us there. 

Sir, I was just playing your WHAT IF game right back at you. 

My point, is a very simple concept.  The Jets need to rely on the '23 class.  Sorry this hurts so many feelings.

10 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

This is everyone's favorite scenario, which I get because history has shown Smith wont play every game but what if this year, that stint of missed games happens early.  Hypothetically, week 1 he goes down...you think they're putting a rookie LT to protect Rodgers blindside?  Or do you think they'd turn to Carter Warren who played decent down the stretch last season?  

I see it differently.  I see the jets working Fashanu into games at LT during the season to get him experience and also it will keep Tyron fresher.  And assuming there are games the jets are winning enough in the 2nd half and in the 4th quarter i expect Fashanu to play those times.  

Just now, Augustiniak said:

I see it differently.  I see the jets working Fashanu into games at LT during the season to get him experience and also it will keep Tyron fresher.  And assuming there are games the jets are winning enough in the 2nd half and in the 4th quarter i expect Fashanu to play those times.  

You think they're going to rotate, LT's?  I cant imagine in a million years that happening.  Smith is gold jacket candidate, this is a win now season, you have a 40 year old QB coming off an Achilles, idk man, not really the year to be playing games w/ the blind side protector. 

I could see him coming in on big sets, being the extra tackle but I just cant imagine, "spelling" one of the best LT's in the game.  Especially when continuity is everything w/ the OL and the 3 of the starters are new to the team.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

You think they're going to rotate, LT's?  I cant imagine in a million years that happening.  Smith is gold jacket candidate, this is a win now season, you have a 40 year old QB coming off an Achilles, idk man, not really the year to be playing games w/ the blind side protector. 

I could see him coming in on big sets, being the extra tackle but I just cant imagine, "spelling" one of the best LT's in the game.  Especially when continuity is everything w/ the OL and the 3 of the starters are new to the team.

Yes i do, especially as the season progresses and Tyron will probably want the rest.  Tyron wants to win playoff games not play in the 4th quarter when the jets are up 30-12

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Absolutely will spell Smith as often as possible depending on how he does out there of course.  Your assumption here that he won't is most likely wrong.  

• Haha 1

Nothing is guaranteed but what's most important, at a base level, Rodgers is ready for a reset and this roster is loaded with great character guys as well as fun loving Characters, which he said was always part of the great teams he's played with. 

This year's draft class will be bonus fun to see who rises!

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I guess you didnt read Larz's post?

I'm sorry that saying that the Jets need to rely on '23 draft class, is an over the top take.  What on earthy was I thinking.  Please accept my sincerest apologies for offending you and hope this post make you feel better today! 

Apologize for the idea that a OT at 11 was a waste because you think he won’t play in 2023.  Start there.  Tyron Smith and his gold jacket have missed like 36 games in the last 4 seasons yet our backup isn’t necessary because he won’t see the field this year.  So yeah, the over the top take is the rant that this draft doesn’t address 2023.  

Im not feeling bad, don’t need to feel better.  I’m not butt hurt that someone I wanted wasn’t picked or whatever issues some are dealing with.  Why?  Because I’m not arrogant enough to think I know more than NFL front offices.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes i do, especially as the season progresses and Tyron will probably want the rest.  Tyron wants to win playoff games not play in the 4th quarter when the jets are up 30-12

Fair enough, those types of games are few and far between.  The majority of NFL games are won in the 4th quarter and decided by 1 score or less.  

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Absolutely will spell Smith as often as possible depending on how he does out there of course.  Your assumption here that he won't is most likely wrong.  

I love how my assumptions, are wrong and all your assumptions, are right.

lmfao

funny time of the year...

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

In what world do teams rotate LT's? Let alone take out one of the best LTs in the league? What's going on here??

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Apologize for the idea that a OT at 11 was a waste because you think he won’t play in 23.  Start there.  
The over the top take is the rant that this draft doesn’t address 2023.  

Im not feeling bad, don’t need to feel better.  I’m not butt hurt that someone I wanted wasn’t picked or whatever issues some are dealing with.  Why?  Because I’m not arrogant enough to think I know more than NFL FOs

Oh I do, I so so so apologize for hurting everyone's feeling and questioning a GM w/ one of the worst performance in NFL history and who happens to be, ******* terrible at drafting (outside of having 1 good year w/ 4 first round picks), how dare I?  How dare I say, he gang, lets focus on last years class because man, we need'em!

27 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Think it all depends how comfortable he looks during camp/preseason. I can see him getting in on a decent rotation with the starting OL during camp, giving Smith rest days and such. So we'll see how much AR yells and calls him out for mistakes.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

In what world do teams rotate LT's? Let alone take out one of the best LTs in the league? What's going on here??

Yeah this isn't and shouldn't be a thing. If Fashanu needs to start a game due to Tyron injury he will. If the Jets miraculously have their playoff seed sown up and can rest their starters (this thought is so comical because this team never is in a position to rest their starters) then Fashanu will start.

You don't rotate OL like Saleh does with DL. OL is built on continuity and flow. It's like a band and the players need to play as often as they can together for the song to sound the best.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I love how my assumptions, are wrong and all your assumptions, are right.

lmfao

funny time of the year...

it's best if you try not to project your assumptions as guaranteed results.  But your entire post is based entirely on assumptions.

Just now, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Think it all depends how comfortable he looks during camp/preseason. I can see him getting in on a decent rotation with the starting OL during camp, giving Smith rest days and such.

I'm not sure Tyron will practice AT ALL during the season, or very minimally. I expect most practice reps to go to Fashanu which will be great experience for him. It won't be a "red shirt year" of him sitting and watching.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

I never said "rotate".  "Spelling" is not the same as "rotate".  You're acting as though it will be rotated like Saleh's DL.  Nothing of the sort was suggested.  SHeesh

21 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

A few thoughts, worth 3 cents on a good day.

1. There seems to be a pretty big overreaction to day 3 of the draft.  A day that is essentially a number of dart throws and where any success besides Special Teams is typically realized in years 2 or 3.

2. On day 3, JD prioritized immediately fixing a glaring short yardage hole and preserving the legs of maybe the best player on our team in Breece Hall.  Was drafting 2 big backs probably overkill?  Check back in December.

BTW, this helps the team this year!

3. You cannot say no rookies will contribute out of 1 side of your mouth and then say the FAs will get hurt out of the other.  We invested in Fashanu because we expect Smith to miss a few games and not practice all the time.

4. We needed a starting Slot and the Jets believe they found 1 in round 3.  I personally like the approach of getting a unique YAC guy rather than the 15th rated traditional WR.

5. Part of the reason the draft isn’t scattered with instant starters is because of the work JD did pre draft.  

Stop making sense dude. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

it's best if you try not to project your assumptions as guaranteed results.  But your entire post is based entirely on assumptions.

Hmmm, and yet, you're not assuming Fashanu will be a good NFL player and ready to play week 1?  lmfao

This thread is pure humor at this point.

do you think the NY Jets need Will McDonald to be really good?

do you think the NY Jets need Tippy to be really good?

do you think the NY Jets need Izzy to be able to spell Hall? 

do you think Depth at T is important?

I assume, you're going to answer, yes?  Right.  So maybe go read my original post again.  It's not my fault you're all butt hurt because I'm not expecting big contributions from this class this season so I think the '23 class needs to step up.  That's pretty logical and can be applied often.

I do appreciate all you guys who are, assuming, the Jets of all teams, did everything right! 

34 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I’d like to think that it would be a fair competition. Given Smith’s expected practice schedule, I’m sure both players will get plenty of work. The reality of Fashanu’s draft position probably leans them towards getting him the bulk of the work at LT, though, as he’s the succession plan. Warren might get more work on the right side, too, as probably a guy they have penciled in to start there in 2025. So yeah, I could see Fashanu getting in there early. If not week one, I’d think no later than Tippman’s starting in week three. 

Just now, JustInFudge said:

1 Hmmm, and yet, you're not assuming Fashanu will be a good NFL player and ready to play week 1?  lmfao

2 This thread is pure humor at this point.

3 do you think the NY Jets need Will McDonald to be really good?

4 do you think the NY Jets need Tippy to be really good?

5 do you think the NY Jets need Izzy to be able to spell Hall? 

6 do you think Depth at T is important?

7 I assume, you're going to answer, yes?  Right.  So maybe go read my original post again.  It's not my fault you're all butt hurt because I'm not expecting big contributions from this class this season so I think the '23 class needs to step up.  That's pretty logical and can be applied often.

I do appreciate all you guys who are, assuming, the Jets of all teams, did everything right! 

1.  Of course.  Everything here is assumption based.  Just look at the OP you made.
  2. absolutely!
  3. Yes
  4. Yes
  5.  No.  I have doubts Izzy gets much time if he remains on the team at all.  But I hope I'm wrong.
  6. Duh
  7. I read it again.  Thanks for sharing all your opinions and assumptions like the rest of us.  Your chance of being correct is just as low or high as the next thread.  Nothing enlightening as you seem to think it is.

42 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Cool, just not sure how you got to 10x more talented.  

Hyperbole.

Sub "a lot" for "10x" if that is better.

42 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I personally, disagree and would take last years original RB room over this one.

You'd take Cook/Hall/Hurt Izzy/Carter over Hall/Izzy/Allen/Davis?

Yeah, I'm ok if we agree to disagree on that.

• Upvote 1

I have zero objections to any post that discusses the importance of the '23 class producing for us this year.  All that is mutually agreed.  These are the early statements I find overly presumptuous about the '24 class and JD's UDFAs this spring.  Kind of ruined the rest of the post after reading that sht.

Unsupported assumptions delivered as if they were factual:

the truth is this draft class will have a very limited impact on the success of the '24 season.

Truth?  LOL.  Assumption.

And while JD went hog wild in FA, we all know that never works out

a bit extreme here... but I get that it helps you to make your point.  I disagree completely.  I think JD had a very good FA haul that will help this team a great deal.

I agree on the importance of the '23 class.  Why would anyone disagree with that?  But I just don't get why you felt it was necessary to claim that this year's UDFAs won't work out ("never") and this years draft class will contribute zilch.  Watever.  Weird post.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Hmmm, and yet, you're not assuming Fashanu will be a good NFL player and ready to play week 1?  lmfao

This thread is pure humor at this point.

do you think the NY Jets need Will McDonald to be really good?

do you think the NY Jets need Tippy to be really good?

do you think the NY Jets need Izzy to be able to spell Hall? 

do you think Depth at T is important?

I assume, you're going to answer, yes?  Right.  So maybe go read my original post again.  It's not my fault you're all butt hurt because I'm not expecting big contributions from this class this season so I think the '23 class needs to step up.  That's pretty logical and can be applied often.

What were the Jets supposed to do exactly? They needed OT help, they picked best available LT. They needed a receiver, they moved up and picked a receiver in the 3rd rd. They needed some RB depth, and they added backs to spell Hall especially in short yardage situations where they sucked last year. All of these guys will probably see some playing time as we all know injuries happen. This roster is good with some depth and there were upgrades added in the off season so not many spots open. I have no problem with this draft at all and I have criticized JD a ton in the past. 

• Upvote 1