Jets OTA updates (6/4 Open to Media)

Conklin is  as average as they come. He is nothing special at all. I can see him being a jag or “just another guy” or “just an average guy”

Some of you guys might be a lil turned on by his muscles and tatoos and cant see how plsin jane he is. He can easily be replaced

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll be honest, in any given circumstance, I'd rather see a throw go to Ruckert, or a RB (Hall, the new kid), or a WR.

Conklin is ok.  Just ok.  No dynamism, no YAC really, just....there.  Makes a few easy catches a game and doesn't do much with them.  Reliable hands I suppose.

I hope part of 2024 is phasing Conklin out of the Jets offense and phasing Ruckert (and possibly Kuntz or Yeboah) in the passing game instead.

Rodgers is the problem with that idea tho, he loves his Vets, and that will likely color snapcounts at TE this year at least.

You think Ruckert is dynamic?  

I agree a bit about Rodgers liking vets but Ruckert is in his 3rd year and Yeboah is in his 4th.  They are vets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

You should probably wait until he does something, but by all means feel free. 

Well, I meant bumping to verify that I didnt mischaracterize anything but I'm very patient.  Truth be told, I never bump those threads, people do it for me and I just bask in my glory.

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If Conklin can duplicate his numbers from last season, he's carrying his weight, he doesn't have to be a superstar with the supporting cast that's around him.

If he can have 61 contested catches and catch them all w/o fumbling, I'm good with that.

Sounds like your going to be happy with just ok play from…. A jag!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

If everyone sticks to him like glue how do you explain that he caught 61 of 63 catchable balls thrown to him last year and he only had 2 drops on the season which explains those 2 catchable balls he missed. I guess those LB's & CB's sticking to him must of had terrible ball skills.... also almost half his 61 receptions were for 27 first downs of the 10.2 yards he averaged per reception. 

Ruckert is a nobody?... who can also truck 2 players blocking and springing  Breece on a 63 yard run in his limited play last year.... so silly to say that as a Jets fan especially with him finally getting a chance for a bigger role this year! 

Oh wow!!!  Would you say the Jets have the best TE duo in the league??!!!!

3 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Conklin is  as average as they come. He is nothing special at all. I can see him being a jag or “just another guy” or “just an average guy”

Some of you guys might be a lil turned on by his muscles and tatoos and cant see how plsin jane he is. He can easily be replaced

Really?  He had his best season as a pro last year.  They could have kept Uzomah and cut Conklin, but they decided to do the opposite.  If he was average, they wouldn't be keeping him for year #3.  If he was average, they had opportunities to draft another tight end, or sign one up in free agency, but they didn't.  

I guess the coaches and JD are turned on by his muscles and tatoos.  LOL

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The Conklin adoration is a product of a couple of posters on this board (maybe one) and not by any means the vast majority.  Conklin is adequate.  He doesn't enhance the offense one bit.  Almost a poster boy for middling performance.  Anyone with a fraction of a brain would prefer Henry to Conklin.  Geez, where did this comparison even come from?   In fact, the vast majority here, including moi, were hoping that Ruckert would improve us at the position. Nope. 

I dont know bro, check out how many people are all up in arms because I dared to question Tyler Conklin's greatness.  It's more then a couple.  We're literally still talking about.  Tyler Conklin, for gods sake.  

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think we'd notice, for a few reasons.  First, most of us here at JN are lunatics.  Second, there might be FF implications for some.  Finally, I think we would have a 768 page thread comparing Bowers to whichever player ends up getting snaps.  

I use a similar definition to you.  A replacement level player.  Guys like Lazard and Uzomah have been that in the past but were decidedly worse with the Jets.  I think if you fill your team with guys under our definition of JAG and then have a couple of special guys you are much better off than with a bunch of slightly above JAG level players.  I'm sure Derek Harper was better than BJ Armstrong and it did not make a lick of difference. 

If you're starting a TE who hasnt scored a TD in 27 games, you suck at FF.  The rest of your post is very good and I thank you for your approach to this conversation. 

5 minutes ago, Alka said:

Really?  He had his best season as a pro last year.  They could have kept Uzomah and cut Conklin, but they decided to do the opposite.  If he was average, they wouldn't be keeping him for year #3.  If he was average, they had opportunities to draft another tight end, or sign one up in free agency, but they didn't.  

I guess the coaches and JD are turned on by his muscles and tatoos.  LOL

He’s average 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If you dont understand what a JAG is, which you and most jet fans dont, there is no use in continuing the conversation.  Enjoy continuing to sound foolish.

In other news, the boys looking good in otas today.  If Rodgers stays healthy, this is a 13 win team and div champs.

Enjoy jet fans!!!!

"JAG: Just another guy" = ordinary = neither bust nor star = adequate but adds little enhancement = doesn't fk up too often = Conklin

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Tony Vegas is basically Jets fan version of Incarcerated Bob.

He might be right about this though.

Has Incarcerated Bob been executed yet?  Or was his appeal victorious?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

"JAG: Just another guy" = ordinary = neither bust nor star = adequate but adds little enhancement = doesn't fk up too often = Conklin

Tight ends that had 600 yards receiving last year:

Pitts, Schultz, Kincaid, Conklin

These arent Jags.  These are solid players.

There is a reason jet fans are known as the dumbest fanbase in sports.  And most of you are proving this.  Congrats!!!!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think Ruckert is dynamic?

Hard to say tbqh, his opportunities have been few and far between given the snap-counts of Conklin and Uzomah.

Ruckert was targeted 22 times in 2023 and caught 16, for a 72.7%, better than Conklin (70.1%) and Uzomah (66.7%).

Ruckert YPC was 6.9 vs. Conklins 7.1, but again, both were used in specific ways in the scheme and with Wilson (or worse) throwing to them.

In fairtness, Ruckerts YAC was a meager 3.2 in 2023, vs. Conklins 4.0.

I'll just say I'd like to see more Ruckert.  He's cheaper, younger and I think, a better future TE, than Conklin is.  But his level of bigger play dynamic ability remains entirely TBD.

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree a bit about Rodgers liking vets but Ruckert is in his 3rd year and Yeboah is in his 4th.  They are vets.

Ruckert has a career 24 targets.  Yes, he's going into his third season, but he's not "Vet" yet.

For reference, Conklin has 304 career targets, and was targeted 87 times per year for his last three seasons.  That's a Vet.

• Upvote 3

The top threads on this board right now are: Conklin is just another guy, Lazard sucks, Reddick is going to hold out, we agree w/ stroud that rodgers isnt all that, our recievers after garrett wilson suck.

Hahahahahahaha.

Jet fans………..

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Braelon Allen is legit.

You had to be worried about Izzy the second the Jets took Davis after having already taken Allen. 

You also had to be worried after watching Izzy play as a pro. Yes, he's fast but he has almost zero instincts and very often runs straight into his own blockers. I suspect he is toast.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Oh wow!!!  Would you say the Jets have the best TE duo in the league??!!!!

LOL...I never said that at all, just don't see the point of your take in being the negative Nancy on them as these are the guys we're running with... I gave you stats, that's all

Conklin is what he is ,which to me is a good player, we've proved that is debatable and Ruckert we just don't know yet but he proved he can lead block for our cash cow and Rodgers seems to be targeting him in OTA's so we'll soon see...

Ok, no more on this for me as there's no point to continue...  Sit back, enjoy and let it play out! GO JETS!

I don't consider a solid starter as a JAG, but to each his own.

He's the Jets best TE since Dustin Keller.  It's been a while.  Jeff Cumberland, Zach Sudfeld, and Chris Herndon were JAGs.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Well, I meant bumping to verify that I didnt mischaracterize anything but I'm very patient.  Truth be told, I never bump those threads, people do it for me and I just bask in my glory.

I’m really not interested in a pissing contest. I have respect for your opinions, and I also get a kick out of your shtick. I said a lot of things on the subject including that I don’t watch college football, and that I was making my assessment based purely on his position and lack of both size and testing. I know I also said, more than once, that he might even turn out to be great - but that given those other three factors, he simply was not worth the risk. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'll be honest, in any given circumstance, I'd rather see a throw go to Ruckert, or a RB (Hall, the new kid), or a WR.

Conklin is ok.  Just ok.  No dynamism, no YAC really, just....there.  Makes a few easy catches a game and doesn't do much with them.  Reliable hands I suppose.

I hope part of 2024 is phasing Conklin out of the Jets offense and phasing Ruckert (and possibly Kuntz or Yeboah) in the passing game instead.

Rodgers is the problem with that idea tho, he loves his Vets, and that will likely color snapcounts at TE this year at least.

Start requesting more. Can you mention Lazard should catch the ball more often too?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I don't consider a solid starter as a JAG, but to each his own.

He's the Jets best TE since Dustin Keller.  It's been a while.  Jeff Cumberland, Zach Sudfeld, and Chris Herndon were JAGs.

yeah... it's all about our individual definitions of "jag" I see Cumberland Sudfield and Herndon (especially) as well below average NFL players. Well below starter capability. Below "Jag".  Not "just another guy" but a crappy other guy that misses assignments, turns the ball over, etc..  On the other hand,  I see Conklin as better.  Can start, doesn't mess up too many plays (as did Herndon) and can hold the fort.  = JAG IMO.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Note to self.  Next week, when reporters are covering mini-camp, start a new thread.  There are updates in here, but they are kind of hard to find amid the Conklin debates.

You really cant start a thread in these promising times w/o the disease creeping in and completely derailing it.  Every thread devolves into negativity.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You really cant start a thread in these promising times w/o the disease creeping in and completely derailing it.  Every thread evolves into negativity.

Same way you can't make a post that isn't slathered with your usual lame off-topic schtick.  

Thank you Lord Schtickmaster, Thank you!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2