Jets plan to give Tyron Smith “lots of rest days” in training camp.

He’s one of our most talented guys and having him in the field for as close to a whole season is what we need. He didn’t ora rice much last year with Dallas and had a good season. So I’m sure that’s the blueprint for us. Yes you’d like him out there where he and mostly Simpson know each others tendencies. But him being out there is more valuable. On a positive note… Olu should get a lot of practice reps with the starters. Which is great. And ideally his game mimics Smith’s learning from him.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Reddick is going to hold out the entire season.

Olu is going to suck.

Williams will have a set back with his ACL. Out for season.

Rodgers is going down in the first game.

Taylor will get hurt game 2.

Travis will complety bomb 

AVT gets hurt again.

Did I miss anything?

Another Fka Friday GIF by FKA

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Tyron Smith is a good player. The plan to have guys like Tyron Smith and Morgan Moses chill all summer (by necessity) and expect the OL to be competent in regular season play is not realistic. 

Macaulay Culkin Running GIF by Home Alone

• Haha 4

—Smith is still a good player

—There was zero market for Smith this offseason.

—The plan to try and staple a brand new OL together under Keith Carter while giving them the summer off going into a year where you’re trying to sprint to the Super Bowl is bad-bad. 

—Jets open with three games in ten games, two of them on the road.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

—The plan to try and staple a brand new OL together under Keith Carter while giving them the summer off going into a year where you’re trying to sprint to the Super Bowl is bad-bad. 

For what it’s worth, you’ve used “good” to describe Smith a couple times now and that probably understates the level of player he is. He was second team All Pro at a premium position last year on top of a tremendous career so not like that was a blip.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can’t rationalize desperation. We can’t draft O lineman or QB’s to save our lives. If they are going to save their jobs I guess this is what it looks like? 

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Can’t rationalize desperation. We can’t draft O lineman or QB’s to save our lives. If they are going to save their jobs I guess this is what it looks like? 

Just keep throwing spaghetti at the wall and hope it’s better than Max Mitchell and Duane Brown, baby

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

TBH it worries me more with MW missing OTAs likely. I think it's a lot harder for a WR and a new WR to get on the same page than it is for a LT to just block who's in front of him. Smith also has a vet in Simpson next to him. So it's not like he has a rookie that likely will make a decent amount of mistakes. That's not me saying I don't think there will mis communications between Smith and Simpson in games. But I don't think its "that" big of a deal. As I said... I think having him on the field is vastly more important than maybe a miscommunication here and there.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oh look the Le’Veon Bell Enjoyer is back

Pre-coffee but my memory is that you were stoked when we got Bell?  Anyhow.  Agree on this thread's premise.  This is not a recipe for success.  Hopefully he doesn't rest anymore than other vets do these days, which seems to be like once a week.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

TBH it worries me more with MW missing OTAs likely. I think it's a lot harder for a WR and a new WR to get on the same page than it is for a LT to just block who's in front of him. Smith also has a vet in Simpson next to him. So it's not like he has a rookie that likely will make a decent amount of mistakes. That's not me saying I don't think there will mis communications between Smith and Simpson in games. But I don't think its "that" big of a deal. As I said... I think having him on the field is vastly more important than maybe a miscommunication here and there.

For a moment I got excited we got the incomparable Mike White back, but alas that is not the case.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Cowboys are currently sitting on $12 mil in cap space, twice as much as the Jets. 

And they currently are sitting there without a QB under contract.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Oh look the Le’Veon Bell Enjoyer is back

Juicy burn coming from the guy who celebrates Adam Gase as he falls asleep at night.

Fun fact; Bell, was the 2nd leading receiver on the team during that sexy 19 season and helped Sam Darnold have his only good season in the pros.

id, it's like I'm always right or something.

• Haha 1

Is this surprising to anyone?  Also isn't this why we drafted Olu?  Wouldn't you want him getting a decent amount of reps in TC, especially at LT(since that's where he'll be playing if/when Smith goes down)?  You keep Smith as fresh as possible for when the games matter, and get Olu as much TC experience at LT as possible.  What exactly is the issue here?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

Pre-coffee but my memory is that you were stoked when we got Bell?  Anyhow.  Agree on this thread's premise.  This is not a recipe for success.  Hopefully he doesn't rest anymore than other vets do these days, which seems to be like once a week.

You read this stuff before coffee? Brave.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

“Smith’s practice plan during Jets camp will be heavy on rest days, according to Zack Rosenblatt of TheAthletic.com.

Everyone knew this would be the case going in.  He's fragile and old, and the team isn't going to risk him in practice if they don't have to do so.

Not news in any way. 

Whatever we lose in practice time reps we hopefully gain on gameday, or at least that is the Faustian bargain JD has consciously  made to try and salvage his consistently piss poor O-lines.

• Upvote 1

Not to be a doomer, but this doesn’t work. You can have the five besr individual pass blockers in the world on the field on game days, but if they don’t have continuity and cohesion, they’re going to give up free runners all day long. It’s great that Douglas brought in three new starters on the OL, but if they can’t practice together and build some chemistry, they’re doomed. This explains why Smith was on the street for weeks with no offers and had to eat the Jets all-incentives deal. 

“Smith’s practice plan during Jets camp will be heavy on rest days, according to Zack Rosenblatt of TheAthletic.com.

The Jets’ entire starting offensive line for 2024 has never practiced together in the offseason, and it remains to be seen how much work they’ll get together in camp. Right tackle Morgan Moses had pectoral surgery and right guard Alijah Vera-Tucker is recovering from an Achilles injury, so the Jets need their offensive line to get healthy before the season.”

I think this is a bad take. Teams didn’t want him because they were worried he wouldn’t hold up to play games when it matters. We happen to have a backup rookie now too and we were desperate. I think Keith Carter being a bad guy is the problem more than the player rest days.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Everyone knew this would be the case going in.  He's fragile and old, and the team isn't going to risk him in practice if they don't have to do so.

Not news in any way. 

Whatever we lose in practice time reps we hopefully gain on gameday, or at least that is the Faustian bargain JD has consciously  made to try and salvage his consistently piss poor O-lines.

I mean I’ve bought some refurbished stuff that was kinda almost pretty good, so I remain hopeful. 

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Smith wanted the Cowboys to bring him back at a discount and they passed on doing so. You can’t have part time players on the OL. 

Smith has been a part time player for like 8 years - hence, the Fashanu pick. 

He’s been getting days off for years. Old news. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FootballLove said:

I'm actually more concerned with AVT returning to form off a torn Achilles. Pulling Guards is a mainstay of our offense. 

As far as Tyron getting days off:

1) He's 32, and rated #1 in the league in pass blocking last year (PFF). Most LTs play on an island, so he won't need as much coordination with his other lineman, the way LG/Center/RG need.

2) Picking up stunts and blitzes: Historically, Aaron wants to play with just his 5 lineman, with all 5 other players (RB, TE, WRs) going out on routs. Aaron prefers to handle the blitzes/stunts on his own with check downs and quick passes. He much prefers his weapons out in patterns than staying in to block (historically). So Aaron doesn't plan on his front 5 keeping him clean for 3-4 seconds per play. He ALWAYS has a quick slant, screen, hot WR, 'something' just in case they blitz. His RB in the flat is worth more to him than his RB staying in to block. He likes making teams pay when they try and blitz him (the 4h play from last season notwithstanding). Tyron/Simpson don't have to be perfect picking up stunts/blitzers. Aaron will take care of it.

3) Every day off for Tyron is a day 'on' for Olu, which is a good thing. Rather than Tyron taking all 1st team reps, Olu will get more than his share.

Item 3 is also a great point.

So JD finds a veteran to hold down the LT spot for a reasonable salary and also drafts the long term player at this premium position.  Not only that, but the veteran is good enough to get multiple rest days throughout TC and the regular season, which will in turn help him to remain healthy AND give extra reps to the first round pick we are trying to develop behind him, and yet this is somehow bad?

• Upvote 3