Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, to be fair, you seem to be treating a holdout as a much bigger deal than it actually is. If I knew nothing beyond what I gleaned from reading your posts in this thread, I would think that holdouts rarely, if ever, happen. Of course, in reality, multiple players hold out every year across multiple teams. Chris Jones actually held out through ALL of camp and preseason last year and even missed week 1, if I'm not mistaken. The Chiefs ended up being ok. 

Holdouts happen. Heck, Green Bay's franchise QB is currently holding out as I type this. I don't think anyone in Green Bay is panicking just yet. 

"Dereliction" is a bt dramatic. lol 

Is there any instance in nfl history of trading for a holdout?

• WTF? 2

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No, of course he would show if he got a new deal, why would he hold out with a new deal on hand? 
I know it’s times like this we blame the jets but how do we know the jets are dragging their feet here?  I’ve seen enough of these, both sides pull be guilty of moving slowly for their own benefit.  He wants a news deal, like Too many he’s bored with the deal he gave his word to abide by.  So now to get a new deal he’s going to break the one he’s already penned his name to.  It’s kind of comical to blame JD.  I guess since he didn’t honor what he obligated himself to on paper, why should we expect him to honor what he promised before the trade

You realize this was a voidable year on his deal?  Both sides negiotated a deal that was suppossed to be renegiotated before this season.  Your charachterization of him ignores that he doesn't really have a deal.  The Jets knew this when they traded for him.  He has every right to a new deal and the Jets have every right not to give him one.   He's not breaking the deal.   The Jets knew this when they traded for him.   The Jets have every right to negiotate what they want to give him and he has every right not to show up until he gets a new deal.  

The idea that he gave his word that he would play on an unguranteed 1 year deal that was intended to be renegiotated by both sides before this season is disingenuous.   NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and Reddick's guarantees are gone by design.  New deal or no play.  

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He was holding out when they traded for him? There weren't even football related activities going on at that time for him to hold out from 😅

Just now, bicketybam said:

He was holding out when they traded for him? There weren't even football related activities going on at that time for him to hold out from 😅

Presumably he means trading for someone who then immediately held out for a better contract. I suspect you know this. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

Presumably he means trading for someone who then immediately held out for a better contract. I suspect you know this. 

When it comes to Matt, you assume nothing. And I suspect YOU know this.

1 minute ago, Raideraholic said:

Can’t share his Jd thoughts but it’s pretty obvious why he made that move.   The Jets are all in on this year , and what have Jermaine Johnson and Will McDonald proven at this point . H Reddick has been a proven double digit sack guy for the last couple of years.    The Jets desperately need H Reddick , and he has the Jets over a barrel .   They will cave and give him what he wants - and forgive his fines he owes them . 

If he had the Jets over a barrel they'd have caved already.

Also it'd be in violation of the CBA to forgive the fines. He can do a hold-in and avoid the fines (show up and simply refuse to do anything). 

It'll get settled just like the other screams that the Jets wouldn't actually get rid of Zach Wilson, Rodgers was about to retire to be RFKJ's VP running mate, the Jets were going to be trapped into re-signing Becton to be their LT again, etc.

Players hold out sometimes -- it's part of the negotiation and is a tactic at players' disposals. The overwhelming incidents result in the player not holding out into the season. Right now there are & were plenty other teams with players threatening or fully staging holdouts (some are still active stances): Aiyuk, Love, Jefferson, Higgins, Tua, Wirfs, Cooper (just got redone), Lamb, Kamara (until 5 min ago), and we'll see maybe Parsons. Reddick and the Jets don't have any history to make Reddick take this personally (there's no, "after everything I've done for this team..."). He's holding out because, thus far, he's got nothing to lose by doing so, and there's nothing but upside for him.

He'll play whether they give him a bump or not -- he's not sitting out this year and everyone knows it.

• Post of the Week 3

Reddick, entering the final year of a three-year, $45 million contract, is due to make a non-guaranteed $14.25 million in base pay, plus another $500,000 with incentives. The Jets inherited the contract from the Philadelphia Eagles, who traded him in late March for a 2026 conditional third-round pick.

The Jets tried to sign him to an extension at the time of the trade, and they're still open to it, but they won't negotiate with a player not in camp, sources told ESPN. When their contract offer was rejected at the time of the trade, the Jets were led to believe that Reddick still would participate in the offseason program and would start the season under his existing contract, sources said. The plan was to table extension talks until later in the season or next offseason at the latest.

The Jets were surprised when Reddick opted to skip the entire offseason, including the mandatory minicamp in June. By doing so, he forfeited a $250,000 workout bonus and incurred a $50,000 fine for skipping the minicamp. It raised eyebrows in early June when coach Robert Saleh said he had had no communication with Reddick.

The holdout becomes a major storyline and a potential distraction for the Jets, who begin the year with Super Bowl aspirations. Reddick is their first training camp holdout since cornerback Darrelle Revis in 2010, which happened to be their last playoff season. The 13-year drought is the longest in the NFL.

In 2022, Reddick became one of the highest-paid edge rushers when he signed with the Eagles as a free agent, but now his $15 million per year is ranked 20th among edge players, according to Roster Management System.

Reddick, who turns 30 on Sept. 22, has proved himself as one of the league's top pass rushers. He has 27 sacks over the past two seasons; the only players with more are Myles Garrett (30), Nick Bosa (29) and Micah Parsons (27.5).

After last season, Reddick made it clear to the Eagles that he wanted a new deal, reportedly $25 million per year, which would put him in the top five among edge players based on average per year. Instead of extending him, the Eagles signed former Jets pass rusher Bryce Huff (three years, $51 million) and dealt Reddick to the Jets.

Typically, Jets general manager Joe Douglas doesn't sign older veterans (30 and up) to long-term extensions, so his offer in late March likely didn't include much guaranteed money beyond 2024. The Jets are amenable to sweetening Reddick's current deal, adding more 2024 compensation, but his camp isn't negotiating, sources said.

"I was in this position last year, so I know how the organization works," said Pro Bowl defensive tackle Quinnen Williams, who signed a four-year, $96 million extension last July. "I know how Joe Douglas and Coach Saleh and all those guys work. Knowing [Reddick] personally as a great competitor and a great person who wants to be here, who wants to win championships, I know they're going to get everything ironed out."

Douglas and Saleh weren't made available on the first day of training camp. Linebacker C.J. Mosley, a 2023 captain, said Reddick's absence isn't a distraction.

"I mean, when you deal with contracts and things like that, it doesn't really get to the locker room because we don't control that," Mosley said. "So, when he does get here, then we'll have our two cents to say. But we know he's a pro. He's been at the highest level of competition. So, whenever that gets worked out, he'll be here, ready to roll. When he gets here, it's just another great player on the line."

Reddick, who played outside linebacker for the Eagles, is slated to start at defensive end. He will join a defensive unit that is ranked third in yards allowed and includes Williams, All-Pro linebacker Quincy Williams and All-Pro cornerback Sauce Gardner.

Reddick's absence will create an opportunity for 2023 first-round pick Will McDonald IV, who played only a small role as a rookie. The Jets also have veteran backup Micheal ClemonsJermaine Johnson, who made the Pro Bowl as an injury replacement, is slated to start at right end. Citing financial reasons, the Jets traded starter John Franklin-Myers to the Denver Broncos in April.

The Jets traded a 2026 conditional third-round pick for Reddick; it improves to a second-round pick if he plays 67.5% of the snaps and records at least 10 sacks in 2024.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/40623258/sources-jets-haason-reddick-not-reporting-camp-deal

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

When it comes to Matt, you assume nothing. And I suspect YOU know this.

I did not read all 7 pages so is the theme we hate Reddick?

is jd a fool and somehow screwed this all up again?

mist important is does Reddick stay in nj and at the facility everyday during the bye or does he go home or on vacation?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You do realize Reddick is an OLB while Huff plays EDGE, right?

Reddick is an OLBer in a 3-4 or hybrid defense. The Jets are classic base 4-3. Reddick is not playing OLBer for us. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

He basically was yes, which is why Philly moved him

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You realize this was a voidable year on his deal?  Both sides negiotated a deal that was suppossed to be renegiotated before this season.  Your charachterization of him ignores that he doesn't really have a deal.  The Jets knew this when they traded for him.  He has every right to a new deal and the Jets have every right not to give him one.   He's not breaking the deal.   The Jets knew this when they traded for him.   The Jets have every right to negiotate what they want to give him and he has every right not to show up until he gets a new deal.  

The idea that he gave his word that he would play on an unguranteed 1 year deal that was intended to be renegiotated by both sides before this season is disingenuous.   NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and Reddick's guarantees are gone by design.  New deal or no play.  

What on earth are you talking about?  This wasn't a "voidable" year.  His contract had three void years.  Those years start in 2025.  2024 was not guaranteed to protect the team if he underperformed.  He did not.  The Jets don't have to give him a new deal, but he has to play or he will be fined $50,000 a day, plus a game check for each preseason game.  

You are claiming this deal was supposed to be renegotiated?  Where did you get that?  If Philly told him that, he is at least as at fault as the Jets for believing he would show up for camp.  If you want to argue that it isn't equitable?  Fine.  The Jets hold the cards here.  This isn't an indispensable piece.  He is an afterthought, not Bosa or Chris Jones.  If they bend over and give him $50M for 2 right now it would be worse than that sh*t they did to get Rodgers here.  We hold the cards, stop getting so ******* antsy and wait it out.

• Post of the Week 2

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

FWIW, pretending you don’t know what people mean is lame 

Again, I am more apt to believe he thinks Reddick was actually holding out when we traded for him. Sorry if that upset you. You are Matt's White Knight 🤍 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Again, I am more apt to believe he thinks Reddick was actually holding out when we traded for him. Sorry if that upset you. You are Matt's White Knight 🤍 

It seems more like you are “apt” to defend the Jets against any and all criticism, regardless of merit. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It seems more like you are “apt” to defend the Jets against any and all criticism, regardless of merit. 

How am I defending the Jets?? Matt makes it sound like they traded for a guy that was actively holding out. That's not the case. The Jets were told he would report to camp. They were apparently lied to.

At the end of the day, Reddick will be playing football for the Jets this season. They traded a 2026 3rd for a guy that is one of the best pass rushers in the league and if they don't extend him we will get a comparable pick back. I'm not sure why you are on this crusade to bust my balls.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

Can’t share his Jd thoughts but it’s pretty obvious why he made that move.   The Jets are all in on this year , and what have Jermaine Johnson and Will McDonald proven at this point . H Reddick has been a proven double digit sack guy for the last couple of years.    The Jets desperately need H Reddick , and he has the Jets over a barrel .   They will cave and give him what he wants - and forgive his fines he owes them . 

You spew unconditional love like I eat. Way more than most and to the point people point and laugh. 

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

As I already pointed out, pretending to not understand what people mean is unbecoming 

I wasn't pretending one bit. In his mind we traded for a guy that was actively holding out. Have you ever read some of his theories regarding Zach Wilson? It's absolutely acceptable to believe what I believe he meant. Regardless, how is this defending the Jets? Because I don't think it's the disaster he thinks it to be (which many others have also stated, including you?)

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I wasn't pretending one bit. In his mind we traded for a guy that was actively holding out. Have you ever read some of his theories regarding Zach Wilson? It's absolutely acceptable to believe what I believe he meant. Regardless, how is this defending the Jets? Because I don't think it's the disaster he thinks it to be (which many others have also stated, including you?)

The Jets traded for a player that was going to be an obvious holdout and a player that the eagles couldn’t wait to unload. There aren’t any examples of this ever happening until now. What are you missing here?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he had the Jets over a barrel they'd have caved already.

Also it'd be in violation of the CBA to forgive the fines. He can do a hold-in and avoid the fines (show up and simply refuse to do anything). 

It'll get settled just like the other screams that the Jets wouldn't actually get rid of Zach Wilson, Rodgers was about to retire to be RFKJ's VP running mate, the Jets were going to be trapped into re-signing Becton to be their LT again, etc.

Players hold out sometimes -- it's part of the negotiation and is a tactic at players' disposals. The overwhelming incidents result in the player not holding out into the season. Right now there are & were plenty other teams with players threatening or fully staging holdouts (some are still active stances): Aiyuk, Love, Jefferson, Higgins, Tua, Wirfs, Cooper (just got redone), Lamb, Kamara (until 5 min ago), and we'll see maybe Parsons. Reddick and the Jets don't have any history to make Reddick take this personally (there's no, "after everything I've done for this team..."). He's holding out because, thus far, he's got nothing to lose by doing so, and there's nothing but upside for him.

He'll play whether they give him a bump or not -- he's not sitting out this year and everyone knows it.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets traded for a player that was going to be an obvious holdout and a player that the eagles couldn’t wait to unload. There aren’t any examples of this ever happening until now. What are you missing here?

See Sperm's post.

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

See Sperm's post.

It’s not the same. The players he listed were on their respective rosters last year. The Jets decided to absorb a problem. It’s a unique situation that really served no purpose to bring on.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s not the same. The players he listed were on their respective rosters last year. The Jets decided to absorb a problem. It’s a unique situation that really served no purpose to bring on.

You don't think Reddick is a nice addition to this defense? They got him for peanuts and will get the peanuts back if he walks. He's not holding out for the year. No way in hell.

7 hours ago, rangerous said:

i think i'd be exploring some trade options for reddick.  let ulbrich work his magic with the players who want to be there.  the jets have certainly paid more for less.

I agree.  Eff Reddick.  He's not a man of his word and maybe a liar.  I'd trade his ass to the worst team I could find that would take him.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Chewy and the Jets said:

We effectively traded an ascending home-grown 25 year old to the Eagles for a disgruntled 31 year old holdout and threw in a future 3rd round pick for good measure.  It is gonna be tough to justify this as anything other than an idiotic move.  

Joe Douglas's last year and half is making mike mccagnana look like genius.

he keeps violating basic gm common sense

• WTF? 3

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

No, just the Jets.  They’re the only team in NFL history who traded for a player who then wanted a new deal.

Ever

• Upvote 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade