Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

That’s if you believe the Jets version of things. He turned down a contract and then the Jets still traded for him. “We need to see him play first” sounds like complete BS. He’s a veteran player with double digit sacks every season. 

Contract extension aside, there are multiple reports from credible sources, that Reddick told numerous people in the Jets front office he would report to the off-season program, OTA's mini-camp and training camp.

He did not report to any of it and by all accounts, he has not had any self-initiated contact with the team whatsoever.

I believe that's true and not just the Jets version of things.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

He’s listed as OLB on football-reference.com and NFL.com.  
Im well aware that the line between OLB and OLB is thin but one of the two plays every down, plays the run and has been used in coverage.  The other only enters the game strictly on passing downs.  In actuality the two play more as the way one thinks the differences of the two positions would be determined. 

Pro football reference also lists Johnson and McDonald as LB.  

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They came to a verbal agreement on a type of deal that they literally did several years ago for a guy in the same exact position. That's fine. The issue isn't that they did that. The issue is that they didn't know enough about Reddick to know he might bail on that agreement so he could leave the team to cosplay Kurosawa films on twitter.

The Eagles ate $23 million in dead cap to get rid of him, and paid Huff on top of that. How could they be caught flat-footed on Reddick wanting more than a one year bump? 

8 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Contract extension aside, there are multiple reports from credible sources, that Reddick told numerous people in the Jets front office he would report to the off-season program, OTA's mini-camp and training camp.

He did not report to any of it and by all accounts, he has not had any self-initiated contact with the team whatsoever.

I believe that's true and not just the Jets version of things.

I’ve only seen Hughes report on this “verbal commitment.” Keep in mind Hughes works for the Jets TV partner.

25 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Agree and would think this is the most logical explanation. My guess is Reddick was good but then had a conversation with his agent and is following his advice. Prob gets resolved within a week or two.

I know it does not fit the narrative of the Jets F everything up, JD is an idiot and Saleh does not have a clue but in this case I do think they handled this fine.

Let's let it play out

I would be surprised/feel like @Matt39 if they did not include the agent in these discussions.  I think it is more likely that the agent asked around and felt they would get some really lucrative offers if he hits the street now and changed his advice.  

14 hours ago, Matt39 said:

His salary is fully guaranteed this year no?

IIRC, there is zero guaranty for Reddick this year.  If he gets injured in camp, he will get a pittance injury settlement.  At a minimum, JD needs to guaranty his 2024 money.  If I were Reddick I'd be holding out too.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Eagles ate $23 million in dead cap to get rid of him, and paid Huff on top of that. How could they be caught flat-footed on Reddick wanting more than a one year bump? 

Because it’s the Jets and they obviously made an impulsive move without reading the fine print. If Reddick was willing to show up to the offseason on his current deal, he’d still be with the Eagles.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

You think he's sitting out the entire year? 

This message board can be really dense at times.  

It will be fun watching Reddick get after Purdy.  Not worried one bit that this won't be resolved.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don't know Tom but I'm grateful that we have you on the case.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I would be surprised/feel like @Matt39 if they did not include the agent in these discussions.  I think it is more likely that the agent asked around and felt they would get some really lucrative offers if he hits the street now and changed his advice.  

agree - i did not mean to insinuate that his agent was not involved in the trade - i am sure he was

my guess is some point after the two of them had a conversation and thought better of what they agreed to.

Point is I don't think this is all on the Jets or the typical easy dysfunction label.  

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seriously?  I think they are both DPR and EDGE in name.  In fact, he was listed as DE in Philly.

Agreed.

If you are using him in coverage you are making a mistake.   A Matt Patricia level mistake.  I read that they used him in coverage 7 times in one game at the end of the year and that was his career high.  I think saying he is "used in coverage" is a bit much.

I agree that Reddick is not playing OLB, but the Jets base, like most teams now, is a 4-2-5 nickel.  I think 7 DBs played more snaps than the Jets 3rd LB (Sherwood) though I guess some of these places list Johnson and McDonald as LB. 

FWIW, I think Reddick will be used similarly to Johnson and McDonald.  I also think Philly played a similar set with  Reddick listed as OLB or DE with Sweat, Cox and Jordan Davis up front with Dean and Cunningham at LB and 5 DBs. 

That is true Michael Carter is really a starter, what i meant was the Jets base defense has a traditional 4 down line front.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I’ve only seen Hughes report on this “verbal commitment.” Keep in mind Hughes works for the Jets TV partner.

Has Reddick's agent come out and denied that this "offer" happened.? If it did not, you would think that he would be very quick in denial of that. Has Reddick come out and denied it?

That would help his client win the public relations war here.

• Upvote 2

all of the back and forth means nothing-the only thing that matters is a contract-I dont want to hear that the player made verbal promises that is hot garbage -the "word" of a gm or a player literally means nothing unless it is in a contract-how many times have gms lied to players about their  plans for said player. 

the  reality is the player is not at camp and does not plan to attend without a new deal-this is 100% on Joe-

the job of the gm is get players under contract and at practice-the longer this plays out the more blame should fall on Joe's  hands especially since he traded to get this player 

• More Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My wack job conspiracy theory on this is signing Becton.  You never know how the comp picks shake out and if the Jets are going to get one, Becton will fit in the formula.  The Eagles signed him on literally like the last day where he would qualify.  Why would they do that?  They don't really give a sh*t because they signed more than they lost, but they certainly didn't gain anything not waiting a day or two.  The Jets gave what will basically be the comp pick for losing Reddick.  My conspiracy is the Jets agreed to take the headache of dealing with Reddick's holdout for the comp pick next year - which might be a 3rd based on Huff.  Of course, most of the calculators say even with Becton qualifying the Jets won't get one, so might have been for naught, but these things often shake out differently than we thought.

This is purely made up conjecture, but there is so much Eagles/Jets intertwining, that I half believe it.

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Has Reddick's agent come out and denied that this "offer" happened.? If it did not, you would think that he would be very quick in denial of that. Has Reddick come out and denied it?

Reddick is an NFL player.  He doesn't want to win the public relations war.  He wants to get paid.  The whole board complained about Mevi$ but he got paid and it isn't from winning the public relations war.  They would probably do best if the Jets think he is a crazy person that will just sit the season.  They want $28M, they aren't going to get that and have the general public not hate them.  Most people probably feel that playing a kids game for $14M sounds like fun and wanting more is greedy.

7 minutes ago, kmnj said:

all of the back and forth means nothing-the only thing that matters is a contract-I dont want to hear that the player made verbal promises that is hot garbage -the "word" of a gm or a player literally means nothing unless it is in a contract-how many times have gms lied to players about their  plans for said player. 

the  reality is the player is not at camp and does not plan to attend without a new deal-this is 100% on Joe-

the job of the gm is get players under contract and at practice-the longer this plays out the more blame should fall on Joe's  hands especially since he traded to get this player 

These were Reddicks own words, immediately after the trade:

“Contractual stuff, I’m leaving that up to my agent and Joe to figure out,” Reddick said. “Whatever happens, I’m gonna be happy. I’m gonna give my all no matter what, that’s just who I am as a person. No matter how it goes, how many years, I’m gonna be here for however long I’m here for and I’m going to give the team, the fans everything that I have.”

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

He wants a new contract. I think that’s pretty clear. Hearsay from Connor Hughes isn’t going to win the PR battle. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Reddick is an NFL player.  He doesn't want to win the public relations war.  He wants to get paid.  The whole board complained about Mevi$ but he got paid and it isn't from winning the public relations war.  They would probably do best if the Jets think he is a crazy person that will just sit the season.  They want $28M, they aren't going to get that and have the general public not hate them.  Most people probably feel that playing a kids game for $14M sounds like fun and wanting more is greedy.

Then, deny that an offer was made. If you deny that story, it makes the Jets look worse, and applies public pressure of dealing in bad faith. That Agent leverage 101.

11 minutes ago, kmnj said:

Yeah this isn’t complex. You don’t trade for a player unless you are 100% certain they will play. It’s entirely on Douglas. He didn’t do his job, and judging by his W/L record- should we be surprised?

12 minutes ago, kmnj said:

If that is your standard, then Joe did his job because the guy is on a bargain contract.

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He wants a new contract. I think that’s pretty clear. Hearsay from Connor Hughes isn’t going to win the PR battle. 

Sometimes Matt, you should read and comprehend what others have to say, rather than hust sticking with conspiracy theories stuck in your own head. There is a logic to this. 

I am sure both the Jets AND the player and agent are at fault, It is not as one sided as the voices in your head make it. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

These were Reddicks own words, immediately after the trade:

“Contractual stuff, I’m leaving that up to my agent and Joe to figure out,” Reddick said. “Whatever happens, I’m gonna be happy. I’m gonna give my all no matter what, that’s just who I am as a person. No matter how it goes, how many years, I’m gonna be here for however long I’m here for and I’m going to give the team, the fans everything that I have.”

He has my vote in the PR war!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Yeah this isn’t complex. You don’t trade for a player unless you are 100% certain they will play. It’s entirely on Douglas. He didn’t do his job, and judging by his W/L record- should we be surprised?

They got a double digit sack guy for the equivalent of a 5th round pick.  100% certain he would play?  Give me a ******* break. They took a risk and the end result is far from determined.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Not sure that's a good move.  If their objective is to get the most money for the longest time from the Jets there is no need to call JD a liar.  Silence is a much better approach.  There's no PR war that in any way helps him meet his objective.  It's simply noise and a distraction.

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

My wack job conspiracy theory on this is signing Becton.  You never know how the comp picks shake out and if the Jets are going to get one, Becton will fit in the formula.  The Eagles signed him on literally like the last day where he would qualify.  Why would they do that?  They don't really give a sh*t because they signed more than they lost, but they certainly didn't gain anything not waiting a day or two.  The Jets gave what will basically be the comp pick for losing Reddick.  My conspiracy is the Jets agreed to take the headache of dealing with Reddick's holdout for the comp pick next year - which might be a 3rd based on Huff.  Of course, most of the calculators say even with Becton qualifying the Jets won't get one, so might have been for naught, but these things often shake out differently than we thought.

This is purely made up conjecture, but there is so much Eagles/Jets intertwining, that I half believe it.

That is an interesting conspiracy. But what about the grassy knoll?

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Not sure that's a good move.  If their objective is to get the most money for the longest time from the Jets there is no need to call JD a liar.  Silence is a much better approach.  There's no PR war that in any way helps him meet his objective.  It's simply noise and a distraction.

What it does is help apply public pressure from fans (at least fans that are not deranged with conspiracy theories). PR 101. 

The agent plays the bad guy and denies it. Applies pressure. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Sometimes Matt, you should read and comprehend what others have to say, rather than hust sticking with conspiracy theories stuck in your own head. There is a logic to this. 

I am sure both the Jets AND the player and agent are at fault, It is not as one sided as the voices in your head make it. 

Logic?

You are really going for the logic angle around here?

Salute Don Scott Dierking

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

No.  I think he'll definitely play.

I think it was a dumb trade, but he'll play this year for sure.

If he plays and helps them, it wasn’t a “dumb trade”.

If you want to be a Joe Douglas hater, I’d concentrate on the Zac Wilson selection.

11 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

It’s pretty simple. Douglas ****ed up. His track record and the Jets track record eliminates any conspiracy theories (whatever that means anyways).

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They got a double digit sack guy for the equivalent of a 5th round pick.  100% certain he would play?  Give me a ******* break. They took a risk and the end result is far from determined.

They could have just kept Huff, like everyone else on the planet recommended

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

It’s pretty simple. Douglas ****ed up. His track record and the Jets track record eliminates any conspiracy theories (whatever that means anyways).

As of this writing and this date, I do not see how the Jets are materially harmed on any chances for success in the 2024 season. It is a contact dispute. Happens at times. The player is flexing his muscle, and the Jets are flexing their muscle. Each have leverage, which they are exercising.

Actually, the jets have greater leverage If (again if) they play it right. Let me know in 3 weeks if this is still going on. I will then start to sweat about this seasons chances. 

You have, on the other side of this stated some preposterous notions about Reddick from the beginning:

-That Reddick and the Jets "never talked" prior to the trade. Patently false, as the Eagles gave permission for Reddick to seek a trade partner.

-That the Jets never looked at Reddicks contract. Which may be on the top 10 dumb statements I have heard on this board. There are procedures and protocol to every player trade, which include swapping of contracts and language that must be approved. It is a standard procedure.  

Frankly, you used to have some great takes on this board. But lately, it makes wonder if worms have infested your head. And I say that in as nice a way as I can with deep respect.

• Upvote 3

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade