Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

I have absolutely no problem with JD dropping Reddick like I drop my 43rd beer can of the day in the recycling bin on Jets game day.  In reality we all know what will happen when he comes back anyway - He will tear his achillies on the 4th play and he'll get paid for doing nothing.  Save the cash for the trade deadline.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Point 1 - meaning what? Is his salary guaranteed by going on the exempt list?

Point 3 - Who gives a crap what he gets elsewhere. Let him be their headache. If we can replace 75% of his production with someone off the waiver wire (after cutdowns) who is younger for less than half of $14,000,000, that's a win.

1) No. He doesn't count as on the roster for week 1 if he's on the exempt list, so his salary is not guaranteed

3) so it isn't leverage. Yeah, if you think cutting him is the best thing for the team, you should do it without worrying about what happens to him afterwards; I think that's a stupid thing to think, but at least the conduct you'd be proposing would make sense for what you want to accomplish if I accept your premise. But you didn't say "cut him, we don't want him anyway." You said "we should threaten to cut him right before week 1 because that's leverage to force him to report." And that makes as much sense as saying "my kid refuses to do homework, so I've threatened to buy him that puppy he wants unless he starts doing homework." If you don't change your behavior I'll give you what you want is not how threats work.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

1) No. He doesn't count as on the roster for week 1 if he's on the exempt list, so his salary is not guaranteed

3) so it isn't leverage. Yeah, if you think cutting him is the best thing for the team, you should do it without worrying about what happens to him afterwards; I think that's a stupid thing to think, but at least the conduct you'd be proposing would make sense for what you want to accomplish if I accept your premise. But you didn't say "cut him, we don't want him anyway." You said "we should threaten to cut him right before week 1 because that's leverage to force him to report." And that makes as much sense as saying "my kid refuses to do homework, so I've threatened to buy him that puppy he wants unless he starts doing homework." If you don't change your behavior I'll give you what you want is not how threats work.

Lol. Dude you lost me on your #3. Let's just agree to disagree on this. I get it, you're against cutting him. Fair point. My OP was just throwing out the possibility of something JD might be considering. Pure speculation on my part but a way to save us possibly being on the hook for 14 million for someone who may try to screw us over this year.

15 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Which begs the question why they needed to trade a 3rd round pick for this..

If the Jets are being screwed by this then Reddick is being a$$ raped in the prison shower.  No reasonable person would handle his business this way and clearly the Jets made the bet that Reddick would not either.

My own thought was that there would be a holdout followed by a super-motivated player who gives us an all-world season because that is the best way for him to audition to other teams.  I think JD made precisely the same bet but now time has run out.  Even if he comes in tomorrow morning he will already have impacted the team and his own market value.  All that remains is damage control.

• Haha 3

Douglas traded for Reddick because he is a very good football player who plays a premium position. I’m sure he still believes that Reddick will report and play for the Jets at some point, the big question is when. People in Douglas’s position don’t have the luxury of saying f him like posters on a message board have, he has to put feelings aside and do what he believes is best for the NY Jets.

Reddick may not be happy when he reports but he would be a fool to dog it for the 24 season as it would negatively impact his future earning potential. When I was training to do negotiations my mentor stressed that you never show your hand early and never take anything said at the table or in the news personally.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Douglas traded for Reddick because he is a very good football player who plays a premium position. I’m sure he still believes that Reddick will report and play for the Jets at some point, the big question is when. People in Douglas’s position don’t have the luxury of saying f him like posters on a message board have, he has to put feelings aside and do what he believes is best for the NY Jets.

Reddick may not be happy when he reports but he would be a fool to dog it for the 24 season as it would negatively impact his future earning potential. When I was training to do negotiations my mentor stressed that you never show your hand early and never take anything said at the table or in the news personally.

It's just business, Tom.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, EM31 said:

At some point this becomes less and less about Hassan Reddick and the 2024/2025 season more about whether or not there is a perception that the Jets front office will roll over to players and their agents who might think about making unreasonable demands.  Roll over once and you invite others to think that you will do the same.

Up until now the Jets have been in the mode of keeping quiet, hoping Reddick comes to his senses and making sure that the coaching staff are ready to give him a crash course in getting up to playing speed when he finally does.  Unfortunately that grin-and-bear-it period is now almost over and no matter what Reddick does it will impact the NY Jets ability to put the best product on the field in games that count in the standings.  Maybe we don't lose games because of the holdout but then again maybe we do.

At this point it is about "getting medieval on his a$$" to grab a line from Pulp Fiction.  We have lots of significant contracts to negotiate in the next few years and we simply cannot allow behavior in this one to bleed over into those other (more important) ones.

Is it really? The jets traded for an elite player on the last year of his contract— said player was available for a 3rd only because he and the Eagles couldn’t work out an extension It’s not “caving in” if the jets extend Reddick— just like it wouldn’t be “caving in” if the cowboys extend Lamb.  It’s a business decision and the logical continuation of the course of action the Jets initially set out upon

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Is it really? The jets traded for an elite player on the last year of his contract— said player was available for a 3rd only because he and the Eagles couldn’t work out an extension It’s not “caving in” if the jets extend Reddick— just like it wouldn’t be “caving in” if the cowboys extend Lamb.  It’s a business decision and the logical continuation of the course of action the Jets initially set out upon

Sorry but we traded for a player with a year left on his contract.  I would never give a 30 y/o pass rusher top-3 money especially if he has not done anything at all for my team.  If it is a Bosa situation and we are the 49'ers.... AND if he has overperformed his current contract for my team then he has earned some special consideration (wait for it) from my team.

Reddick has earned no such consideration from the Jets here.

We traded for a guy on the last year of his deal precisely because we were only ever going to use him for a single year anyway.  Just the same way that he would be using us this year to audition for his next deal.  I wonder what the GMs across the league are thinking about his audition so far.

It cost a a 3rd.  No big deal.  If he holds out all year then we have him back where he started all over again next year.  Maybe we get to lock up some of our own homegrown guys a little earlier if the 15M is unused on Reddick this year.  If he wants to drive his market into the toilet then let him have at it.  He is doing a fine job so far as evidenced by the lack of teams showing any interest when the Eagles were shopping him.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Joejet said:

People in Douglas’s position don’t have the luxury of saying f him like posters on a message board have, he has to put feelings aside and do what he believes is best for the NY Jets.

💯 

• Upvote 1

Which begs the question why they needed to trade a 3rd round pick for this..
Meh ... It was a risk reward thing ... The Jets thought they could get him excited and on board under their terms ... Worst thing that could happen would be they lose a future 3rd rnd pick ... Best thing that could happen is they get a beast to rush the passer as a one year rental.

It was a bet .. not the end of the world.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

JD cannot cut him.  If he cuts him he ends up in the Bills or another team that screws the Jets.  

Reddick will show up in a way that gets his season guaranteed.  He will try to play for his next contract.   He will get hurt. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/21/2024 at 12:26 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

image.png

If you're willing to give up $15 million just to stubbornly make a point? You might be a Reddick.

If you're negotiating from an obvious position of weakness and behave as though you're in a position of strength holding all the cards? You might be a Reddick.

If you're under contract with a team that has 5 other first round defensive linemen AND stage a full holdout instead of a hold-in - knowing you'd still be doing nothing except eat the team's food & watch tiktok videos during the hold-in - AND rack up millions in fines ultimately for no good reason? You might be a Reddick.

If you are so worried about playing and getting injured, and then maybe show up to play barely in game shape, and it results in you getting an injury you wouldn't have otherwise had, go on IR, and THEN hit free agency? You might be a Reddick.

If you're turning 30 and are threatening to take a year off, which everyone knows will cost you millions more on next (and likely last) big cash-in opportunity? You might be a Reddick.

If you take some moral stance where you threaten refusing to ever show up, even though not showing up will result in your being under contract with this same team for the same amount next season, too? You might be a Reddick.

If a team with no past ties to you, who wants you more than actually need you, tells you and the public they flat-out won't adjust your contract if until you show up, and you decide not to show up and expect that to change for no reason? You might be a Reddick.

If you think you're going to get a lot of sympathy from a roster with a lot of young players, whose contracts are coming up themselves and want some of the money the team would otherwise pay to you? You might be a Reddick.

Its times like these, where I really wish we still had Post of the Week.

Wow, just bravo!

Star Trek Applause GIF

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Jets' Robert Saleh Had Frank Response to Question About Haason Reddick's Week 1 Status

Saleh on his confidence level that Reddick will report in time to play Week 1: 

"I don't know," Saleh told reporters. "I haven't really thought about it."

- Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) August 22, 2024

Jets' Robert Saleh Had Frank Response to Question About Haason Reddick's Week 1 Status (conchovalleyhomepage.com)

Good.  He shouldnt be focused on something he has zero control over.  He should be 100% focused on the guys in the building. 

• Upvote 3

If that was the plan, why did they offer Huff a contract?
Huff is a younger ascending player that long term would cost less. Reddick is about to be 30 and is looking for a monster deal he will never get.

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

Huff is a younger ascending player that long term would cost less. Reddick is about to be 30 and is looking for a monster deal he will never get.

That's nice but it has nothing to do w/ my post or the fact the Jets made him an offer and he rejected it. 

And I'm not going to do the Huff vs. Reddick comparison but it's like comparing Yannick Ngakoue to TJ Watt.  Not even remotely similar players.  Reddick is literally 100000000x better. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Huff didn't want to stay with the Jets, that was readily apparent, by every statement he ever made to the press, when he was asked about the possibility of signing with the team - I don't give hometown discounts, we'll see how it plays out.....yaddda, yadda, yadda

Never once did Huff give the slightest indication, that he was actually interested in re-signing with the Jets and that's a fact, although I know there will always be those few here that will rush to his defense, the bottom line is Huff had ZERO intentions on staying here.

People keep bringing up Reddick's age, which I don't think is a factor here; There's a pretty long list of distinguished pass-rushers (I posted the article about 40 pages ago, in this very thread) that have played well & been productive well into their 30's and as of the end of last season, Reddick has not ahowed signs of slowing down.

I've said it more than once & I'll say it again, Reddick's problem and the biggest reason why he'll never get the monster contract he's looking for, is his sh!tty attititude.

He is on his 4th team in 7 seasons & now has an established pattern, of "me-first" behavior - asked for a trade with the Eagles because he wasn't getting the contract he wanted, now he asked for trade here - 4 months after we traded for him, because he's not getting the big contract extension he wants.

You need look no further than Matt Judon and how he's handling his situation in Atlanta (a nearly identical situation, with a player of comparable production to Reddick's).

Judon isn't holding out and he's set to make far less than Reddick is, he know's he's done nothing for the Falcons and isn't just resting on his past accomplishments. Judon wants to show the Falcons what he's made of and is willing to EARN what the Falcons will give him, not just demand it based on what he's done with other teams.

No team with an ounce of common sense, is going to go out of their way to give Reddick a big contract when he's extremely likely to just stage ANOTHER holdout in another 2 years, as other pass-rushers sign new deals that will continue to eclipse his.

With what Reddick has pulled here, just 4 months removed from being traded by Philly, he's made it abundantly clear that he's feels he is above every team and he hasn't even a vague grasp, of the word team. He has a toxic personaility, that any GM & Owner worth their salt, would want nothing to do with, which is exactly why Reddick keeps getting shuffled around the league, like the town drunk that nobody wants on their block.

I believe it to be apparent that the jets viewed Huff one way, and Huff viewed himself another. That happens. And when that happens, you divorce. 

Whether the Jets are correct in how they viewed Huff will be known better over the course of the next couple of seasons. 

• Upvote 4

Huff didn't want to stay with the Jets, that was readily apparent, by every statement he ever made to the press, when he was asked about the possibility of re-signing with the team; I don't give hometown discounts, we'll see how it plays out.....yadda, yadda, yadda....
Never once did Huff give the slightest indication, that he was actually interested in re-signing with the Jets and that's a fact, although I know there will always be those few here that will rush to his defense, the bottom line is Huff had ZERO intentions on staying here.
People keep bringing up Reddick's age, which I don't think is a factor here; There's a pretty long list of distinguished pass-rushers (I posted the article about 40 pages ago, in this very thread) that have played well & been productive well into their 30's and as of the end of last season, Reddick has not ahowed signs of slowing down.
I've said it more than once & I'll say it again, Reddick's problem and the biggest reason why he'll never get the monster contract he's looking for, is his sh!tty attititude.
He is on his 4th team in 7 seasons & now has an established pattern, of "me-first" behavior - asked for a trade with the Eagles because he wasn't getting the contract he wanted, now he asked for trade here - 4 months after we traded for him, because he's not getting the big contract extension he wants.
You need look no further than Matt Judon and how he's handling his situation in Atlanta (a nearly identical situation, with a player of comparable production to Reddick's).
Judon isn't holding out and he's set to make far less than Reddick is, he know's he's done nothing for the Falcons and isn't just resting on his past accomplishments & saying "Hey look what I've done, pay me NOW, even though I haven't done crap for you yet"
Judon wants to show the Falcons what he's made of and is willing to EARN what the Falcons will give him, not just demand it based on what he's done with other teams. I guarantee you, barring injury, Judon will get his contract next off-season, while Reddick will be shipped off to another team, yet again.
No team with an ounce of common sense, is going to go out of their way to accommodate Reddick & hand him a big contract, when he'll almost certainly stage ANOTHER holdout in 2 years, as other pass-rushers sign new deals that will continue to eclipse his.
With what Reddick has pulled here, just 4 months removed from being traded by Philly, he's made it abundantly clear that he feels he is above every team and has shown that he hasn't even a vague grasp, of the word team. He has a toxic personaility, that any GM & Owner worth their salt, would want nothing to do with, which is exactly why Reddick keeps getting shuffled around the league, like the town drunk, that nobody wants on their block.
Agreed. With all of it. Except speed guys over 30 don't slow down. I have no doubt Reddick is still dominant .. the question is .. for how long and is it worth the headache?

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Agreed. With all of it. Except speed guys over 30 don't slow down. I have no doubt Reddick is still dominant .. the question is .. for how long and is it worth the headache?

Definitely NOT worth the headache & no way to truly know the answer, as to how long he will continue to be dominant for.

I almost wish the Jets would trade this POS, just so I don't have to hear his name any more.

Even if he does report, I would not be surprised if Reddick has rotten eggs thrown at him, from the stands every game - which is about what he deserves.

Have Gun Will Travel.

He's like Suh, Clowney and others. Show me the money, don't give me any of you rah, rah sh*t.

Is his value as a contributor worth putting up with his attitude. It's close but I hope they work things out. He's a heckuva pass rusher.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Definitely NOT worth the headache & no way to truly know the answer, as to how long he will continue to be dominant for.

I almost wish the Jets would trade this POS, just so I don't have to hear his name any more.

Even if he does report, I would not be surprised if Reddick has rotten eggs thrown at him, from the stands every game - which is about what he deserves.

What headache? Because he is not on the team?... The only people talking about it is the media and fans... That's it... It's literally not an issue to anyone else yet... 

I think you are being a bit over dramatic. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

17 hours ago, EM31 said:

Sorry but we traded for a player with a year left on his contract.  I would never give a 30 y/o pass rusher top-3 money especially if he has not done anything at all for my team.  If it is a Bosa situation and we are the 49'ers.... AND if he has overperformed his current contract for my team then he has earned some special consideration (wait for it) from my team.

Reddick has earned no such consideration from the Jets here.

We traded for a guy on the last year of his deal precisely because we were only ever going to use him for a single year anyway.  Just the same way that he would be using us this year to audition for his next deal.  I wonder what the GMs across the league are thinking about his audition so far.

It cost a a 3rd.  No big deal.  If he holds out all year then we have him back where he started all over again next year.  Maybe we get to lock up some of our own homegrown guys a little earlier if the 15M is unused on Reddick this year.  If he wants to drive his market into the toilet then let him have at it.  He is doing a fine job so far as evidenced by the lack of teams showing any interest when the Eagles were shopping him.

Then we are losing Huff and a 3rd round pick for nothing 

4 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Huff walking to get the best deal possible and be a 3 down player has nothing to do with Reddick. Huff was gone long before we entertained trading for Huff. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Huff was long gone for nothing because he didn’t wanna be a situational even though he isn’t one at the present time. Guess we didn’t wanna pay fur potential so we drafted a situational pass rusher in the first round instead. Sounds bad. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1