Tua locked up by the fins

Nobody is going to confuse this with being a great move but the Dolphins had no choice. Their window is open right now. Now is not the time to hit the reset button at QB. Tua is a fine QB who could maybe pull a division title if things break right. You could do worse but you could also do better.

This won’t impact the 2024 season for Miami, but it most definitely will be an anchor moving forward

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Do you think you can win a championship with Tua as your QB? I don't think so and they are now locked into the guy for 3 years. That's my issue, not the money.

your issue doesn't make sense - because what's the alternative?  could they have traded him in the off season and gotten another QB?

26 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Do you think you can win a championship with Tua as your QB? I don't think so and they are now locked into the guy for 3 years. That's my issue, not the money.

Mike Mcdaniel coached jimmy garrapolo a literal inch away from winning a super bowl.  So whether u or i think think tua can win one, i am sure mcdaniel does.  And thats all that matters.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So what is the alternative?

1- You make him play out his 5th year? - Well thats not an option cause he would not show.up.  And you do not have a qb on the roster that can play.

So if you think what the fins did was wrong, please tell us what would have been the right move.

While it is not a great alternative, you can do what the Skins did with Cousins...use the tag.  It is south of 53.1 million.

While Tua is a great fit for McDaniels offense, there are no Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes "wow" plays.  It is "nice play".  Tua is going to go from 23M this year to I would think at least 35 million (or more) next year depending how the contract is structured.  The Phins will start to hemorrhage talent.  Tyrek is a Phin because the Chiefs could not afford him. The good news for the Chiefs, Patrick can overcome that.  Can Tua?

The Phins should have tagged him and then look for another guy in the draft like you said.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

your issue doesn't make sense - because what's the alternative?  could they have traded him in the off season and gotten another QB?

They should roll with Skylar Thompson.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mike Mcdaniel coached jimmy garrapolo a literal inch away from winning a super bowl.  So whether u or i think think tua can win one, i am sure mcdaniel does.  And thats all that matters.

What did SF have that Miami currently doesn't have? It's starts with a "D."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

4 years.  $166 guaranteed so its really a 3 year deal for $55 mil a year.

Good deal for both sides.

Great deal for the Jets. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

Good starting QBs cost $50+mm/year.  

The Holy Grail is finding a rookie who can play cheap for 3-4 years.  

The NFL is a business.  Its not about Super Bowl or bust anymore.  A veteran who can win games and fill seats will get that $50+mm if they even sniff the Pro Bowl.  

The Raiders walked from Derek Carr.  They don't have a QB.  

The Seahawks did a smart thing trading Russell Wilson for lots of picks and were able to get Geno to fill in.  

I think more teams should trade their medium never winning a SB QBs for draft hauls, and try to be like the 49ers.

In the Big Picture, what the Jets paid for AR8, and what AR8 ends up getting paid if he stays, is not unreasonable if he can at last manage the game.  

It also depends if a team has the roster to support the QB.  Even if Darnold was good, it did not pay to keep him on a bad team.  You can see the point of taking a shot on Zach Wilson-if he is ok, he is a great bargain.   If not he costs what a decent backup QB costs on a rookie contract.  

The Dolphins are likely getting a decent salary cap deal for Tua, at least in 2024.  If they let him go in year 4, they have a dead money hit.  Just like where the Jets are with AR8.

If I were Jerry I would give Dak a three year Cousins deal and go for broke the next 2-3 years.  Take a QB every year to find the next Dak.  Then start over. 

If Dak does not want the three year deal, trade him.  

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

While it is not a great alternative, you can do what the Skins did with Cousins...use the tag.  It is south of 53.1 million.

While Tua is a great fit for McDaniels offense, there are no Josh Allen, Patrick Mahomes "wow" plays.  It is "nice play".  Tua is going to go from 23M this year to I would think at least 35 million (or more) next year depending how the contract is structured.  The Phins will start to hemorrhage talent.  Tyrek is a Phin because the Chiefs could not afford him. The good news for the Chiefs, Patrick can overcome that.  Can Tua?

The Phins should have tagged him and then look for another guy in the draft like you said.  

he was under contract.  so what exactly does a tag do for this year?  you would have had to trade him and back to square one.

in a tough spot - but his numbers are good and so he got paid.

21 minutes ago, varjet said:

The NFL is a business.  Its not about Super Bowl or bust anymore.  A veteran who can win games and fill seats will get that $50+mm if they even sniff the Pro Bowl.  

The Seahawks did a smart thing trading Russell Wilson for lots of picks and were able to get Geno to fill in.  

I think more teams should trade their medium never winning a SB QBs for draft hauls, and try to be like the 49ers.

In the Big Picture, what the Jets paid for AR8, and what AR8 ends up getting paid if he stays, is not unreasonable if he can at last manage the game.  

It also depends if a team has the roster to support the QB.  Even if Darnold was good, it did not pay to keep him on a bad team.  You can see the point of taking a shot on Zach Wilson-if he is ok, he is a great bargain.   If not he costs what a decent backup QB costs on a rookie contract.  

The Dolphins are likely getting a decent salary cap deal for Tua, at least in 2024.  If they let him go in year 4, they have a dead money hit.  Just like where the Jets are with AR8.

If I were Jerry I would give Dak a three year Cousins deal and go for broke the next 2-3 years.  Take a QB every year to find the next Dak.  Then start over. 

carr and wilson - those were two teams that did a unconventional move.   geno turned out okay.

i think the geno strategy is interesting unless you have a top 10 qb.   the 25mm you can save can get upgraded WRs.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

the AR contract is great.   what they paid for him is the issue.

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Bad contract that will likely prevent them from retaining key talent.

hard to say.  all of these qb contracts seem plenty excessive but the nfl is still growing and the salary cap is still going up.  i guess at some point it's got to stop but not very soon unless there's some rule change that diminishes the importance of the position.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

20% of your salary cap allocated to Tua? Not sure if that is smart asset allocation! 

The cap is nonsense.  People are so focused on it.  Thats the going rate for a good qb.  Its not hurting the fins one bit.

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If they want to win 5 games this year, thats a great idea!!!

Rush was 5-1 as a starter just over a year ago so I suppose they could win 5 or more games with him yes

are there any not great QBs you think don’t deserve $60 million guaranteed per year?

It's now the job of Saleh's defense to put Tua in the blue tent once and for all. The sooner the better. Would love to see the Phins paying $55m to a Joe Biden clone for the next 2-1/2 seasons.

If Mo Lewis is still in shape, Douglas should be on the phone with him!

• Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Rush was 5-1 as a starter just over a year ago so I suppose they could win 5 or more games with him yes

The old “Scrub backup has a few good games so he must be a star” theory.  This thinking usually works out great.

6 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

It's now the job of Saleh's defense to put Tua in the blue tent once and for all. The sooner the better. Would love to see the Phins paying $55m to a Joe Biden clone for the next 2-1/2 seasons.

If Mo Lewis is still in shape, Douglas should be on the phone with him!

ZW is mercifully gone so we should have an offense that can get first downs which helps the defense

• Upvote 2