Tua locked up by the fins

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think it is a real good deal.  Lets play it out.  Lets say they do not like what they see from Tua during this upcoming season.  That gives them a full 2 years to line up a qb in the 1st round of the draft.  

So lets say Tua is decent this year and next.  Fins take a qb in the 1st round of the 2026 draft.

Then they have 1 more year of Tua, the 1st round qb gets a year to learn on the bench and in 2027, you transition to the new qb.  You cut Tua w/ no penalty.

Fins aren’t cutting Tua,😂

They’re battling the Bills for the AFC East the next two, three years.

Best case scenario for the Jets they will win 9 games maybe 10 if Rodgers stays healthy this year and have a chance to advance from the wild card round if the stars align. After 2024 they’re scrambling to find a QB again.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Fins aren’t cutting Tua,😂

They’re battling the Bills for the AFC East the next two, three years.

The Jets will win 9 games maybe 10 if Rodgers stays healthy and have a chance to advance from the wild card round if the stars align.

Tua has a 3 year deal.  So yes, if hes still not winning playoff games 3 years from now, he will be let go.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Tua has a 3 year deal.  So yes, if hes still not winning playoff games 3 years from now, he will be let go.

And Rodgers will be long gone also. Such is the NFL. 
My opinion? I’d rather be the Dolphins and have this deal with Tua than the future the Jets have with a 40yo Aaron Rodgers.

What say you?

• Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

My opinion? I’d rather be the Dolphins and have this deal with Tua than the future the Jets have with a 40yo Aaron Rodgers.

What say you?

Rodgers at 40 is a much better qb then Tua.  Tua cant beat a good football team.  He pads his stats against the bad teams.

Aaron Rodgers, even at 40, will go toe to toe with anyone.

With that being said, you can do alot worse then tua and the dolphins had no other choice.

Getting him for 3 years instead of 4 was huge for the fins.  Even if they had to pay a little extra for it.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That’s disgusting. They were going to dump that guy before McDaniel got there. 

A nuanced reason of why McDaniel was a terrible hire.  If you hire a great offensive mind and he gets some production out of a crappy NFL QB who you now have to pay as if they were elite, what happens when the HC is fired and replaced by a defensive QB.  

Rhetorical they turn into Zach Wilson.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

A nuanced reason of why McDaniel was a terrible hire.  If you hire a great offensive mind and he gets some production out of a crappy NFL QB who you now have to pay as if they were elite, what happens when the HC is fired and replaced by a defensive QB.  

Rhetorical they turn into Zach Wilson.

Always dangerous when you get an offensive HC who gets a hard on for a mediocre QB simply because they’ll run the plays as called. You’d think McDaniel would have taken that lesson from his Niners/Garoppolo days, but it seems not. 

Another large QB contract, it’s now the market price. The 49ers may have the right formula, draft a good prospect and use them cheaply for 3-5 years while you build the pieces around him to win. Or maybe the Jets have the right formula, grab an aging great and try to wring another year or two from him, again, relatively cheaply.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

What say you?

After Aaron retires next offseason we can draft a qb.  Just like how the dolphins will also be drafting a qb in round 1 again in 1-2 years

18 hours ago, Falco21 said:

Huge overpay! Love to see it 

Fins have signed JLO to shake/dance her butt off during half time home games to offset the huge overpay.  They'll get all that money on the back end.

Just now, jgb said:

I hope for the day we can "overpay" for a FQB.

Tua is a very interesting case study. Statisticaly he is one of the best QB's over the past two seasons. He has an injury history but stayed healthy last year. Meanwhile, GB opened up the Brinks truck for a QB that has accomplished less than Tua. Only time will tell....

Just now, bicketybam said:

Tua is a very interesting case study. Statisticaly he is one of the best QB's over the past two seasons. He has an injury history but stayed healthy last year. Meanwhile, GB opened up the Brinks truck for a QB that has accomplished less than Tua. Only time will tell....

Such is the market when only about 15 guys on the planet at any given time can play well enough for their team to stop actively looking for a replacement. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

Such is the market when only about 15 guys on the planet at any given time can play well enough for their team to stop actively looking for a replacement. 

This is true!

Who would you rather have right now: Tua or Herbert? Tua has been the statistically better QB, but I think Herbert is more talented. Tough choice!

2 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

This is true!

Who would you rather have right now: Tua or Herbert? Tua has been the statistically better QB, but I think Herbert is more talented. Tough choice!

Good question but I take Herbert. Much better career QBR in some pretty ****ed up situations.

23 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

How is a qb who won a road playoff game less accomplished then tua who in 4 years has never won a big game?

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

How is a qb who won a road playoff game less accomplished then tua who in 4 years has never won a big game?

Wait, now you're not a Tua fan? 😅

I'm talking about body of work. Love has a very limited body of work. Yes he won a playoff game against a team that notoriously chokes in the playoffs and then sh*t the bed the following week. Honestly I think the book is still open on the both of them.

I think Tua is massively underrated on here. I think he’s good when healthy. 

the issue is that he’s a huge injury risk and is one more concussion away from half the media calling for him to retire again. 

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2024 at 10:56 PM, Green Ghost said:

I’ll take Tua ove Rodgers  for the length of that deal. Tell me why you wouldn’t.
I’ll remember and you and embarrass you afterward if you say otherwise.

Poked in the eye or kicked in the nuts....

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2024 at 8:34 PM, FootballLove said:

It's now the job of Saleh's defense to put Tua in the blue tent once and for all. The sooner the better. Would love to see the Phins paying $55m to a Joe Biden clone for the next 2-1/2 seasons.

If Mo Lewis is still in shape, Douglas should be on the phone with him!

Did anyone ever make a "Joe Must Go" joke about Biden on here?  Feels like a missed opportunity if not.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

I hope for the day we can "overpay" for a FQB.

Word.

The best thing to happen to the Patriots in the post TB12 era was BB botching developing Mac.  If Matty P and/or Mac were able to replicate his rookie year, he would have Trevor like numbers with average talent. Pay 50+ million for at best 10th best AFC QB?

The mistake teams are making are paying for average athletic talent.

3 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Wait, now you're not a Tua fan? 😅

I'm talking about body of work. Love has a very limited body of work. Yes he won a playoff game against a team that notoriously chokes in the playoffs and then sh*t the bed the following week. Honestly I think the book is still open on the both of them.

I am saying if you were to ask 32 nfl gms if they would rather have Tua or Love, it would be 32-0 Love.

On 7/26/2024 at 3:26 PM, BigRy56 said:

Nobody is going to confuse this with being a great move but the Dolphins had no choice. Their window is open right now. Now is not the time to hit the reset button at QB. Tua is a fine QB who could maybe pull a division title if things break right. You could do worse but you could also do better.

This won’t impact the 2024 season for Miami, but it most definitely will be an anchor moving forward

Perfectly said. It’s an overpay. But that have to give it a try with Tua.

Tua isn't worthy of that contract imo but I completely understand why the Dolphins gave it to him.  He probably can't win you the big postseason games (wasn't he throwing wounded ducks at the end of the playoff game in KC?) but he can put up flashy regular numbers and help Miami be a really fun team to watch.  If they can somehow get a home playoff game (or games) or at least play in the warm weather, they could potentially be trouble though.