Jets release first unofficial depth chart

The Jets released their first unofficial training camp depth chart on Monday. Compiled by the team's communications staff, the offensive and defensive units are represented with 12 players – 12 (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR) and 11 (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) personnel packages are accounted for offensively in addition to base 4-3 and nickel packages (5 DBs) for the defense.

3 New Offensive Line Starters
No surprise here, but other than Aaron Rodgers this is the most significant difference than the Week 1 roster (minus 4 snaps) last September. LT Tyron Smith (161), RT Morgan Moses (144) and LG John Simpson (38) have combined to start 343 regular-season games. And all three have postseason experience headlined by Smith's nine contests. It all starts up front and the Jets want to get after people on the offense the way they do along the defensive line. The arrivals of Smith (6-5, 320), Moses (6-6, 320) and Simpson (6-4, 330) also have meant an Alijah Vera-Tucker's permanent move to RG and better depth options.

With Smith (veteran rest), Moses (pec) and AVT (Achilles tendon) on pitch counts, the starting line has practiced together once in camp. That number will increase as the summer progresses.

"The league is chaotic, right? So, the odds of us playing with the same five all season are slim to none," said HC Robert Saleh. "So, it's good for them to work with one another and different combinations, but as long as we maintain our communication. … To get our Week 1 One group out there as quick as possible, so they can gel – that can definitely be beneficial."

Q's New Neighbor
The Jets have one of the NFL's top defensive tackles in Quinnen Williams and they've got some new bodies around him. The unofficial depth chart has Solomon Thomas, who racked up a career-high 5 sacks last season, behind Williams while newcomers Javon Kinlaw and Leki Fotu are slotted next to Williams on the first and second teams, respectively.

After four seasons with the 49ers, Kinlaw transformed his body by adding 30 pounds of lean muscle. He racked up a career-high 3.5 sacks and 6 QB hits in 2023 and is hoping to build on that effort in Year 1 with the Green & White.

"Just to stay on those double teams. I felt like last year I was getting moved a little bit probably just because I didn't have enough muscle," said the 6-5 Kinlaw who now weighs 330 pounds. "But when I take on these blocks out here, I just feel way more sturdy."

there are 128 pics there too

• Upvote 1

Ayo is it okay to talk about the complete failure it is that Lazard and a broken, 1-yr deal Mike Williams is all that was done across from Garrett… Or will you all collectively piss yourselves?

Y’all are so uppity about Reddick that you’re overlooking what I think is the more egregious misplay of the offseason.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The only depth chart that matters is who starts week 1.

Wake me up when they get to the Super Bowl. Championships are the only thing that matters 

• WTF? 1

27 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Ayo is it okay to talk about the complete failure it is that Lazard and a broken, 1-yr deal Mike Williams is all that was done across from Garrett… Or will you all collectively piss yourselves?

Y’all are so uppity about Reddick that you’re overlooking what I think is the more egregious misplay of the offseason.

Interested The Office GIF

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Your posts are absolute gold! I hope you continue all season 👍

53 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

who would you have signed instead of M. Williams?

2 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

Clemons ahead of McDonald is interesting. They seem to like having a big body on the edge but you'd hope McDonald jumps him sooner rather than later.  

4 hours ago, batman10023 said:

who would you have signed instead of M. Williams?

It doesn’t matter, I’m not the GM of the team. I can guarantee we wouldn’t be charging towards a season with Lazard as the #2 WR. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

It doesn’t matter, I’m not the GM of the team. I can guarantee we wouldn’t be charging towards a season with Lazard as the #2 WR. 

That’s interesting on one hand you say you aren’t the gm but in the next sentence you are kind of playing gm. 

I am curious who could we have gotten that fits in our salary cap. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You can’t be serious with this?

MW was arguably the best FA WR out there. And will by all reports be very likely to go week 1. So not sure what your deal is there. Breece had the same injury around the same time and was at practice on 8/16 last year. If MW isn’t practicing in 2 weeks. That’s when I’d say his rehab might leak into the season. But I don’t think that’s will happen. He’s also a WR that doesn’t use his quickness. So him maybe being rusty or not 100% with his knee. Doesn’t affect him As much being a big bodied WR. His game is winning jump balls.

You also conveniently totally left out that we drafted Corley. Like he likely won’t be WR3 for us at some point this season.

And Lazard I was down on too. But how about being excited that he’s having a great camp. That clearly having trash at QB is what made him useless last year. Ya I’m not excited that he mailed it in when AR went down. But fact is, is that AR is healthy and starting. So Lazard is playing well. If healthy he’s a great WR3 or 4.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Mcdonald not being able to get past Clemons in the depth chart whos a absolute cone of a player is amazing

It could be a concern. It could also be Saleh & Ulbrich both having the comfort zone of the player(s) they know better. It could also be a move that's at least a somewhat motivational in nature, too. 

In early August last year the penciled-in starters were JFM and Lawson, though with heavily expected rotation. Then Lawson hurt his back, it lingered on for weeks, and the next man up was JJII, who took obvious advantage of it (in a way McDonald isn't doing in Reddick's absence). It's hard to say if Lawson would've been handed his starting job back if he was back to being 100% within the first few weeks of the season, but of course that didn't happen all season long and Johnson had a fantastic season after a rookie year of being "the other one" of the Jets' top 4 from the 2022 class. 

McDonald is having trouble putting and keeping on weight, for whatever reason (different players at different positions, but so did Brick for his first 2+ seasons, too). So McDonald's allegedly still the same 235-ish as he was a year-plus ago (nowhere near the 250-255 lbs. he boasted he'd reach back in January). That may keep him more nimble as a rusher off the edge, but he can't start with his hand in the dirt at that weight. 

Anyway it's August 6th, the $17MM/year edge rusher that people are still heartbroken over losing in FA wasn't a starter either (and thus far still isn't), and this is just a nominal, temporary summer placeholder since the other edge starter is going to be Reddick after the holdout ends.