OL Still Sucks. JD has failed again

1 hour ago, Plen T said:

OLine was pretty good given the circumstances 

JD has the talent there. These are proven players.
If these guys don’t perform it’s SQUARELY on coaching 

This is such a lazy take I was laughing out loud reading it.

After 6 years trying and failing to build one, JD had to patch together a line of complete strangers and you’re blaming the CS they’re not performing like a cohesive unit from the get?
The LT, RG and RT were signed in the offseason, The LG missed almost all last year due to injury, and the C is a 2nd year guy coming off a mediocre rookie year. 
How about blaming the GM… who btw is a supposed OL guru, for not doing that job?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

After 6 years trying and failing to build one, JD had to patch together a line of complete strangers and you’re blaming the CS they’re not performing like a cohesive unit from the get?
The LT, RG and RT were signed in the offseason, The LG missed almost all last year due to injury, and the C is a 2nd year guy coming off a mediocre rookie year. 
How about blaming the GM… who btw is a supposed OL guru, for not doing that job?

Blaming him for what?  It's one week.

If they're sh*t in week 10, you might have a point.

Folks might all want to chill a bit, we'll get more real facts to chew on tomorrow.  Soon enough.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

How else is one supposed to build a line, by genie?

Don’t drink so much mate

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2024 at 10:35 AM, More Cowbell said:

What that means is Rodgers gets rid of the ball before the rush comes and he knows how to roll and side step pressure. I give Rodgers all the credit for what you wrote. Rodgers had to operate in a tight pocket and didn't  have time to hold the ball except on the one free play where the rush stopped for a split second giving him that time. I don't  know what the average time was from when Rodgers took the snap and threw it, but I would think it was pretty close to the fastest time in the league. That helps the OL immensely when they don't have  to hold blocks that long. The thing is, everyone here is making the same argument.  Oh look at the pass protection. The problem with Jets fans is they have been watching an abomination at QB for the past 4 years. Now we have a competent QB that feels pressure and doesn't  bail on the pocket, knows to step up and make a pass, not run to the right and try to make a hero play. 

Oh, btw, the run blocking was abysmal, but let's keep talking about pass protection. 

I dare say the entire offense sucked vs the Niners, led by the OC tandem of Hackett & Rodgers. Their play calling was unimaginative & conservative helping to pave the way for constant 2nd/3rd and longs. As usual. 

Breece fumbled, Aaron threw a pick, and  Garrett & Lazard while flashing had some bad plays in critical situations. Otherwise Corley, Conklin, Williams, Xavier, Braelon, etc were MIA.

Finally yes, the OL wasn’t great. Yet it executed the ineffective game plan. Which with the aforementioned Jets player gaffes was easily defended by the Niners. 

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

I wish they had some sort of scrimmage type games like spring training prior to the season where players could knock off rust and learn to play together with new team mates. would be a good coaching tool.

• Haha 3

What that means is Rodgers gets rid of the ball before the rush comes and he knows how to roll and side step pressure. I give Rodgers all the credit for what you wrote. Rodgers had to operate in a tight pocket and didn't  have time to hold the ball except on the one free play where the rush stopped for a split second giving him that time. I don't  know what the average time was from when Rodgers took the snap and threw it, but I would think it was pretty close to the fastest time in the league. That helps the OL immensely when they don't have  to hold blocks that long. The thing is, everyone here is making the same argument.  Oh look at the pass protection. The problem with Jets fans is they have been watching an abomination at QB for the past 4 years. Now we have a competent QB that feels pressure and doesn't  bail on the pocket, knows to step up and make a pass, not run to the right and try to make a hero play. 
Oh, btw, the run blocking was abysmal, but let's keep talking about pass protection. 

You are right, Rodger’s got rid of the ball extremely quickly one of the fastest last week, compared to our previous QB who consistently held onto the ball the longest.

This doesn’t mean the Oline is bad, the Oline played good, and it wasn’t bad in run blocking either. Breece was looking like he was going to break one but we just didn’t have the ball enough.

I do think Rodger’s was purposely getting the ball out quick. I can imagine he and everyone else on the Jets were extremely mindful of the catastrophe that was last opener.

I think it was in the back of everyone’s mind, subconsciously or consciously. I think the Jets entire plan was to live another day, and get out of SF healthy.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Blaming him for what?  It's one week.

If they're sh*t in week 10, you might have a point.

Folks might all want to chill a bit, we'll get more real facts to chew on tomorrow.  Soon enough.

That’s what I’m saying fish… give them time together,  it’s only been a week. How can he be ready to blame the coaches already?

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Plen T said:

How else is one supposed to build a line, by genie?

Don’t drink so much mate

I would think a OL guru could build one through the draft over 6 years wouldn’t you?
You think the way to do it is adding 3 FA’s to go with a rookie and a guy coming off season ending surgery and then blame the coaches if they haven’t gelled by week one.

20 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Hall never had a chance ..Every yard he got was basically on his own. Did you see the holes San Fran was opening up in their running game ? Hall looked like he's always looked he just had no holes to run through and the OL did him no favors

I think Rodgers got sacked once all night.  Hall looked slow.  Allen looked faster.  

• WTF? 1

It’s the biggest thing we needed to address in the offseason and it looks like we did great. We knew Smith is great. Simpson has been great. When he was underrated imo in BAL. Tippman will only get better and better being young. AVT the same. Just needs to keep getting reps. Talent is there. And Moses has been solid.

In reality I’d like to see us use Olu in packages more. As a 6th OLineman and 2 RB sets.

• Upvote 1

Seems like we should have played these guys just a bit during preseason, but that was so 4 weeks ago. Let’s see how they plays Thursday. The talent is there, the OL should be sound. I’d also like to see Olu get on the field, just what’s his name avoiding rookies.

On 9/14/2024 at 10:23 PM, Green Ghost said:

I will take this OL after years of 1 of worst OLs in league thanks to JD. Guys want to give JD credit for bringing these guys in make me laugh ha. They were traded for virtually nothing, or let go by a team that no longer needed them. The team with a gm who knows how to build a OL, can let the aging often injured veterans go, because they have younger/cheaper/ more durable guys to replace them. Next years OL again will have some big holes . 

• Thumb Down 3

On 9/15/2024 at 12:03 AM, Green Ghost said:

I would think a OL guru could build one through the draft over 6 years wouldn’t you?
You think the way to do it is adding 3 FA’s to go with a rookie and a guy coming off season ending surgery and then blame the coaches if they haven’t gelled by week one.

The reigning Super Bowl champs KC: 3/5 of their line were FAs, and both tackles had just gotten there that offseason.

They lost to the Lions week 1, as Pacheco had his worst game of the season and with Clyde-Helaire not doing much better. The pair averaged 3.2 ypc on their 14 carries.

Now let's assess your Giants' OL.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The reigning Super Bowl champs KC: 3/5 of their line were FAs, and both tackles had just gotten there that offseason.

They lost to the Lions week 1, as Pacheco had his worst game of the season, with Clyde-Helaire not doing much better. The pair averaged 3.2 ypc on their 14 carries.

You mean the OL that now is being “fixed” by their 3rd GM?  All promising to fix the line?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean the OL that now is being “fixed” by their 3rd GM?  All promising to fix the line?

If someone gets injured then Evan Neal might not be a healthy scratch for every game this season.

Top half of round 1 that year had zero busts...except the tackle the Giants took at #7 in the country.

2nd round Sh*tz isn't much better at center.

It's not like either has AVT's excuse of back to back freak IR-level injuries. Even Becton at least starts when he's not injured (or eating).

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/10/2024 at 7:13 AM, More Cowbell said:

The SF D was in the Jets backfield the entire game. Our OL was consistently getting pushed backwards and couldn't  get Breece any holes to run through.  Every time he got tackled, it sounded like an explosion. 

JD said job one was to fix the OL when he got here. What is this, year 5 now and it still sucks? 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Larz said:

You people need to stop this. TN. is a bad team. If they didn't  grade out well against them, we would really be bad. I think tomorrow we are going to see a repeat of week one with the Pats running Stevenson down our throats and the D selling out to stop Hall. Rogers really hasn't  played that well yet. 

• Thumb Down 2

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

You people need to stop this. TN. is a bad team. If they didn't  grade out well against them, we would really be bad. I think tomorrow we are going to see a repeat of week one with the Pats running Stevenson down our throats and the D selling out to stop Hall. Rogers really hasn't  played that well yet. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

15. Tennessee Titans (Previously: 18)

It’s certainly surprising to see the Tennessee Titans be this aggressive in improving their defense in a single offseason, considering they were previously viewed as more of a retooling team. However, new defensive coordinator Dennard Wilson now has a top No. 1 cornerback in L’Jarius Sneed to pair with a very solid starter opposite him in Chidobe Awuzie, with Roger McCreary holding down the slot. Suddenly, a Titans’ secondary that has been a weakness in the last three years becomes a strength. If the Titans’ pass rush led by Jeffery Simmons, Arden Key and Harold Landry III can up their game in 2024, Tennessee could finish with a top-15 defense in football.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Larz said:

15. Tennessee Titans (Previously: 18)

It’s certainly surprising to see the Tennessee Titans be this aggressive in improving their defense in a single offseason, considering they were previously viewed as more of a retooling team. However, new defensive coordinator Dennard Wilson now has a top No. 1 cornerback in L’Jarius Sneed to pair with a very solid starter opposite him in Chidobe Awuzie, with Roger McCreary holding down the slot. Suddenly, a Titans’ secondary that has been a weakness in the last three years becomes a strength. If the Titans’ pass rush led by Jeffery Simmons, Arden Key and Harold Landry III can up their game in 2024, Tennessee could finish with a top-15 defense in football.

Reach much. 

Other than Sneed, are you going to tell me you ever heard of any of those players? 

• WTF? 1

35 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Reach much. 

Other than Sneed, are you going to tell me you ever heard of any of those players? 

You've never heard of Jeffery Simmons? He's one of the best interior DL in the league. He's made 2 all-pro teams. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They lost to the Lions week 1, as Pacheco had his worst game of the season and with Clyde-Helaire not doing much better. The pair averaged 3.2 ypc on their 14 carries.

image.thumb.png.9340a08071d447b83e4509a32932fa57.png

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2024 at 10:23 PM, Green Ghost said:

How many times do GMs draft and sign OL that all know each other?  

The person you quoted has a valid point.  Even though Smith and Moses have had some veteran rest days.  They were all together from the strart of TC.  If memory serves me correctly, I think AVT or Moses didn't start practicing until a week or so into camp, but the whole unit could have had the whole TC together.  At a minimum they had the last 3-4 weeks of TC, 3 joint practices and the last two weeks.  The talent on this OL is light years better, and they've had more practice time together than any Jets' OL in recent memory.  I think a quarter of play together in a preseason game would have helped, but not made a huge difference.  Carter isn't the best OL Coach in the game, not even close.  I think it's totally fair to give him some criticism for the poor run blockin, but also Hackett for his conservative and predictable play calling.  That puts the OL at a huge disadvantage when even the fans at home know what the play call is going to be.  They've also played two tough DLs for far, which hasn't helped, but I still think their run blocking should be better since that is a strength of every single member of the starting OL.  I have no doubts that it will improve and get better and better.

Just becaue JD played OL in college doesn't mean that he's an OL guru.  It's Jets fans that annointed him as such.

• Post of the Week 1