Will McDonald has not been good this year according to PFF

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW PFF only rewards sacks that come as a result of beating the blocker in front of you, and McDonald has a couple this year where the QB either fell down or he came mostly unblocked. 

LOL

So they award no credit for closing on the QB and finishing the play

Next time Will should bypass the open path to the QB and instead search for a blocker to beat / jump over 😂

Gotta boost that PFF grade at all costs 🤷‍♂️🤣

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Claymation said:

If the play is to isolate  McGriddle on a naked bootleg and quickly get it to the receiver before he gets there but he is too quick to break up the play, how is that a negative?

It’s definitely a blind spot in their grading because even a clean-up sack is significant in a league where offenses are living and dying on QBs making second reaction plays. What they’re trying to do is separate a sack that Myles Garrett gets—where he trashes an elite LT and blows up a play—from the sacks that guys like Yannick Ngakoue and Leonard Floyd get, where they run around the mosh pit and tag down a QB who’s already in a posture of surrender. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Will McDonald had 1 sack last week where a running back knocked him over and the QB tripped over him. He had 1 this week where he wasn’t blocked. 

That one where he wasn't blocked - obviously didn't take any special pass rushing ability but how quickly he made up the ground between the line of scrimmage and the QB was impressive. This guy moves different.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChanGaileyOC said:

This is why I pay for PFF. I’m not getting suckered into Will McDonald like everyone else on this board. I’ll let the experts tell me who is playing well. 

You have to pay a service because you don't understand what you are watching. That tracks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, ChanGaileyOC said:

He’s got a 49.4 grade which is horrible. He seems like he’s been effective to me, but I’m not a PFF level talent evaluator. 

Came here this week, signed up posted “Im a huge Cowherd fan. He tells it like he sees it and is not a hot take artist like Craig and Tiki.” and then started this thread.

Any takers on how long this troll lasts?  Lol

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Came here this week, signed up posted “Im a huge Cowherd fan. He tells it like he sees it and is not a hot take artist like Craig and Tiki.” and then started this thread.

Put me down for 3 weeks

3 hours ago, GKnight83 said:

Using tat logic Strahan is a pretender because some players former GB QB laid down on purpose to let him claim the record from 99

Correct.  Strahan's sack record is phony.  If Strahan went in unblocked and got the record, at least he would be doing that against competition that was trying. Farve laid down for him so he'd get the record.  Strahan didn't earn that record and doesn't deserve it.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It's someone's alt. Doesn't have the sack to post this crap under his main user name. Baby sh*t soft.

• Upvote 1

I’m a big Will McDonald fan, but the Niners clearly targeted him in the run game and feasted on running the ball over his dead body. Sacks and pass rush are king, but McDonald putting up funky PFF scores because of his size and related deficiencies is always going to be a thing

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW PFF only rewards sacks that come as a result of beating the blocker in front of you, and McDonald has a couple this year where the QB either fell down or he came mostly unblocked. 

Fwiw, I think that's very reasonable of them.  I'm not a believer in their rankings despite that, though.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s definitely a blind spot in their grading because even a clean-up sack is significant in a league where offenses are living and dying on QBs making second reaction plays. What they’re trying to do is separate a sack that Myles Garrett gets—where he trashes an elite LT and blows up a play—from the sacks that guys like Yannick Ngakoue and Leonard Floyd get, where they run around the mosh pit and tag down a QB who’s already in a posture of surrender. 

Beautifully written!  Honestly.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw, I think that's very reasonable of them.  I'm not a believer in their rankings despite that, though.

Yes, but even PFF’s biggest advocates will tell you that their “grades” aren’t gospel and don’t tell the full story of a player’s effectiveness. If a receiver catches an 80 yard TD to win the game where he breaks five tackles and outruns the defense, but he drops five other passes, he’s getting a sh*tty PFF grade. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yes, but even PFF’s biggest advocates will tell you that their “grades” aren’t gospel and don’t tell the full story of a player’s effectiveness. If a receiver catches an 80 yard TD to win the game where he breaks five tackles and outruns the defense, but he drops five other passes, he’s getting a sh*tty PFF grade. 

I do like that concept.  But I agree with JJ Watt that there's probably a lot they can't tell from just watching.  For example, "what was the player's assignment from the CS on a given play?"  It might look like they made a terrible play to the viewer but, to the CS, they might have done their job to perfection.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I do like that concept.  But I agree with JJ Watt that there's probably a lot they can't tell from just watching.  For example, "what was the player's assignment from the CS on a given play?"  It might look like they made a terrible play to the viewer but, to the CS, they might have done their job to perfection.

There’s not a lot you can’t tell by just watching. Most of the rest you can tell by watching over and over again and/or counting stuff. Not much is simple enough to be reduced to a sound bite. Not much is obscure enough to be beyond  comprehension. Feelings don’t matter.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

AKA, Jamal-ing!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

So pressuring the QB to make him trip over McGriddle is a negative?

Did you watch the play? WMD falls a good 3 yards away from Levis who scrambles into WMD’s leg. It was a bad rep and if it was his only sack of the day it would’ve been a huge red flag. But it wasn’t so it’s just a play within the wider context of WMD’s performance.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That one where he wasn't blocked - obviously didn't take any special pass rushing ability but how quickly he made up the ground between the line of scrimmage and the QB was impressive. This guy moves different.

I said as much. I’m a huge Will McDonald fan. I said drafting him was a super smart move and I don’t question that he’ll be this team’s best pass rusher for years to come but this is about PFF grade and understanding what’s being evaluated. Sack fumbles don’t usually happen when a player is scrambling to get up from getting knocked over 3 yards away from the QB. WMD had that happen. 

Over the course of a year or a fairly representative sample size, PFF grades will usually do a good job telling you who is good and bad at football. It’s not perfect but parsing out who wins for their sacks and who gets lucky is useful. Again PFF has long failed to take into account finishing ability of pass rushers as a measurable indicator of success and that won’t be fixed anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

But those two guys have successfully either beat their man or pushed their guy back so much that they’ve ruined the play, and that should be reflected in the pff grading.  

3 hours ago, ChanGaileyOC said:

You realize how low a 49 grade is? Hes basically unplayable according to the experts. 

And yet he’s the league leader in sacks for the team with the most sacks in the league that just held their opposition to 3 points.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Again PFF has long failed to take into account finishing ability of pass rushers as a measurable indicator of success and that won’t be fixed anytime soon. 

This is a great point.  For years, we have had pass rushers who get pressure, but not sacks.  JFM and Carl Lawson immediately come to mind.  Pressures are great, but what does it really mean if the QB escapes the pressure and makes a play.  Give me a guy who may get fewer pressures but can finish when he gets there. 

I love what I have seen from Will Mcd these past two weeks.  

Iowa State is redeeming itself this season.  Breece was always great, but Lazard and McDonald have both been major contributors this year. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Look at Peace Frog here talking alts

You need to explain how this works. I signed up under this name (the only name I have on this forum) in September 2010. You're saying I created BicketyBam as an alt 9 years prior to signing up as the Peace Frog guy? I mean even for a guy like you that has to make zero sense. 

Also, I read some of that guy's posts and he's nothing like me. I'm not sure why anyone would even connect me to that dude. I guess you can always throw sh*t at a wall and see if it sticks. 

20240921_135943.jpg

20240921_135916.jpg

6 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

PFF only matters when they give the players I like a high grade. 

^This

Seriously, PFF has been a statistics joke since its inception.  

Pathetically Foolish Frauds. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

^This

Seriously, PFF has been a statistics joke since its inception.  

Pathetically Foolish Frauds. 

But they employ unemployable college grads with worthless degrees! So what if it's at minimum wage?