Knee pain commiserations and questions

So, I’m at the age where things break down and the doctors tell me “well, you’re at the age where stuff hurts but we don’t do anything about it,” as in the classic Louis CK “sh*tty ankle” bit. My right knee has taken a huge beating over the years and I’ve always just thrown an Ace Bandage on it and hoped it would heal itself. But alas, those bills have come due. It now feels like there’s a bunch of shrapnel trapped in the joint that I dream about pulling out myself. The pain/inflammation presents mostly on the outside of the knee and causes tightening issues with my IT band, which then causes inflammation in my hip. 

I’ve been trying to have a doctor take my right knee issue seriously for about ten years, but every time I get it looked at, the doctor(s) invariably say “it’s more trouble than it’s worth/if you start down the path of opening it up, it creates more issues/blah blah blah.” A few years ago, I had it looked at by the former team ortho of the New England Patriots and he basically said “that’s what a 45 year old knee looks like. Wait a few years and get a replacement.” (**** the Patriots).

Anyway, I was considering taking another run at it with a more compassionate orthopedist. Anyone been through something similar? Ever get a “clean up” in the knee joint that worked? 

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, I’m at the age where things break down and the doctors tell me “well, you’re at the age where stuff hurts but we don’t do anything about it,” as in the classic Louis CK “sh*tty ankle” bit. My right knee has taken a huge beating over the years and I’ve always just thrown an Ace Bandage on it and hoped it would heal itself. But alas, those bills have come due. It now feels like there’s a bunch of shrapnel trapped in the joint that I dream about pulling out myself. The pain/inflammation presents mostly on the outside of the knee and causes tightening issues with my IT band, which then causes inflammation in my hip. 

I’ve been trying to have a doctor take my right knee issue seriously for about ten years, but every time I get it looked at, the doctor(s) invariably say “it’s more trouble than it’s worth/if you start down the path of opening it up, it creates more issues/blah blah blah.” A few years ago, I had it looked at by the former team ortho of the New England Patriots and he basically said “that’s what a 45 year old knee looks like. Wait a few years and get a replacement.” (**** the Patriots).

Anyway, I was considering taking another run at it with a more compassionate orthopedist. Anyone been through something similar? Ever get a “clean up” in the knee joint that worked? 

Welcome to the club. If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, just assume you're dead and in some sort of afterlife.

It all comes down to your pain threshold. You have to decide what you can reasonably tolerate without flipping your sh*t. I have two torn rotator cuffs that date back to my late 20's (weight training.) Sometimes I can't bear the paid but most of the time I can. I'm 56 and not keen to go under the knife. I'm going to stick it out until I can't take it anymore.

Sucks getting old. I remember when I was an early teen and my dad was in his favorite recliner. When he went to get up he would moan. I'd ask if he hurt himself and he's just say he's getting old. Now I know what he meant.

• Post of the Week 1

On 9/28/2024 at 10:50 AM, T0mShane said:

Get an MRI, that will show how much damage, and what needs to be done.

There is a lot of newer treatments to help with knee degen other than just replacement.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, nj meadowlands said:

@Bronx any thoughts or tips for our friend Tom here?

1, Eating sticks will secrete excess poop while eliminating inflammation around the knees. 

ZeHFqnkQLVpNpCJcHwPWhb1YpC2lx8lGkHKYSCIg1iw_plaintext_638323095521015877.thumb.jpg.ee4d23eb470aaf77a183b085ae4f004d.jpg

2. Swimming is a great therapy, especially when you are heavily protected by jail-graded concrete walls. 

17206275510183341428830801870227.thumb.jpg.5fd2cc48626986d150f78ac549ff9478.jpg

3.  Low impact exercises. 

Screenshot_20240716_161540_Google.thumb.jpg.5f7dfaedb77c3a5ee82e30464b9c63c2.jpg

4. No impact exercises, 

Screenshot_20231016_101220_Chrome.jpg.5e77a7bb39003b37cd5b04973e65b9a1.jpg

• Haha 3

When my doctor asks if I have any pain. I say yes, I am 56.

Anywho you might take a look at Kees over toes guy.  I  have tried some of his suggestions such as walking backwards.  My knees feel better.   My knees do not seem as bad as yours.

I have been told the same about once you open regarding backs.  Knees would seem similar.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

12 hours ago, chirorob said:

Get an MRI, that will show how much damage, and what needs to be done.

There is a lot of newer treatments to help with knee degen other than just replacement.

Really the only thing that matters. No MRI = working with nothing. 

I had a gnarly meniscus issue fixed last year, basic PT for the first 80% of recovery, and then switched to Knees Over Toes. A little over a year later it's healthier than ever. All begins with the MRI though. And god bless whoever invented slant boards.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 9/28/2024 at 11:50 AM, T0mShane said:

Yes, get a good sports ortho, X-Ray shows nothing relevant typically but they always do that before ordering an MRI. You probably need some meniscus repair and clean up. I had that done a few years ago, felt so good that's when I got back into Powerlifting. 

Prior to meniscus repair, I got the Supartz Hyaluronic acid injections (5 shots over 5 weeks) and they did NOTHING. 

Good luck... don't feel too bad, my 15-year-old (who has had to deal with WAY too much stuff - Autism, Marcus-Gunn reflex, cardiac ablation from A-Tach etc) will probably need bilateral knee replacement by the time he's 30 due to a hip/pronation issue. Kid is a trooper. Be like Connor. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I got my shoulder tuned at 54 ... Worked wonders ..literal miracle sh*t.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Glad to hear people touting knees over toes guy.  I have been doing that stuff for similar issues but not diligently enough to decide if it really works. 

People always suggest swimming, but it actually bothers me more than running.  Bringing my foot forward against the resistance of the water causes the usual low grade pain.

Knowledge is power. Get an MRI, get a second opinion. In the meantime there are multiple supplements that might help, try MTX oil in your morning coffee, it’s tasteless, collagen could help and some other. None will fix damage, but they may help flexibility a bit. There are some good, low invasive out patient surgical options that are available. Good luck, I’m 65 and feel your pain.

On 9/28/2024 at 11:50 AM, T0mShane said:

Mrs. Cat had a knee replacement.  Was bone on bone.  Best move she ever made.  Great Orthopedics group and surgeon if you need a reference.  Highly recommend.

Bodies are flat out weird and wonderful.

Years back I had chronic knee pain for a few years, lots of sports, went to dr, had scans and such and it was the old, oh well your cartilage is nearly one it will be an issue forever basically.

That ended up not being the problem, I had a large dog at the time and I could never train this particular beast (Who was the best dog on the world otherwise) to not pull on the lead.  Thus in all of my leashed walks i would have a big foot impact and a shock to the knee.   The dog passed away and after about 6 months the knee pain went away and my knees feel 100% great these days. (at 64)