Clown show

I was just watching the videos of professor Saleh doing his sermon. Good god, he’s a herm clone. Makes absolutely no sense when he talks.

My question: who’s the ******* moron that interviewed him and was impressed? Good god the lions kicked him out of their building too after he was interviewed.

We’re the Jets, what is there to be positive about going by our track record the last 10 years? We need a realist like @T0mShane to be our leader. All woody does is hire guys like jet nut/Larz, the acolytes of positivity. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

The Jets fired Saleh, named a respectable replacement as the HC, and neutered Hackett by relieving him of playcalling duties. These are all reasonable actions to take Week 6 in the middle of a season in an effort to turn around an underperforming team.

Jets fans complain about everything.

Clown show would have been to "keep doing what we're doing."

Did you just start watching yesterday? The team has been a clown show for over 50 years. These changes most likely won’t make a difference. It all starts up top! The Jets will find some way to screw it up. this season has been spiraling since the get-go and something will happen Monday to continue it.

11 hours ago, Bronx said:

and they just fired their lead clown.  Shame on you Woody! 

BobbySaladClown.gif.b294f8bb5431c24b4dc48bc19d4e4edd.gif

That’s so stupid I had to laugh.  Well done blending in various aspects of Mr. All Gas.

I imagine Saleh dropping by the board & seeing this.  I hope he would laugh as well :).

Tough crowd this week.  I guess we’re on pins & needles until Monday night.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

The Jets fired Saleh, named a respectable replacement as the HC, and neutered Hackett by relieving him of playcalling duties. These are all reasonable actions to take Week 6 in the middle of a season in an effort to turn around an underperforming team.

Jets fans complain about everything.

Clown show would have been to "keep doing what we're doing."

One of the big complaints about Saleh has been, “he’s a glorified DC posing as a HC.” Was that the case, or did Saleh provide nothing coaching the defense as well? I think we’re about to find out. 

My concern is that the Jets have hobbled their defensive coaching just to make a move on offense that the former head coach planned to make, anyway. Ulbrich said in his presser that he will continue as the DC, calling the defense, as he also takes over head coaching duties. For those of us who like to complain about lack of in-game adjustments (pretty sure that’s everyone), how is the DC now supposed to be able to focus on defensive adjustments while as HC he has to focus on the offense while they’re on the field? They basically ****ed the one unit that was working so Woody could pretend he was doing something about it, imho. 

If Saleh was on ice thin enough to break beneath him after five games, he should’ve been removed last winter. Team could’ve done an actual coaching search. How many people would’ve lined up behind yet another DC with no head coaching experience being named HC of this team in January? At least he would’ve gotten his own contract and maybe been able to attract an Arthur Smith here (as Saleh tried to do, but couldn’t as a lame duck coach). Now Ulbrich is saddled with these same ****ty offensive coaches that he’s now responsible for, while simultaneously having less time and help to run the defense. Brilliant, can’t miss move right there. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slats said:

One of the big complaints about Saleh has been, “he’s a glorified DC posing as a HC.” Was that the case, or did Saleh provide nothing coaching the defense as well? I think we’re about to find out. 

My concern is that the Jets have hobbled their defensive coaching just to make a move on offense that the former head coach planned to make, anyway. Ulbrich said in his presser that he will continue as the DC, calling the defense, as he also takes over head coaching duties. For those of us who like to complain about lack of in-game adjustments (pretty sure that’s everyone), how is the DC now supposed to be able to focus on defensive adjustments while as HC he has to focus on the offense while they’re on the field? They basically ****ed the one unit that was working so Woody could pretend he was doing something about it, imho. 

If Saleh was on ice thin enough to break beneath him after five games, he should’ve been removed last winter. Team could’ve done an actual coaching search. How many people would’ve lined up behind yet another DC with no head coaching experience being named HC of this team in January? At least he would’ve gotten his own contract and maybe been able to attract an Arthur Smith here (as Saleh tried to do, but couldn’t as a lame duck coach). Now Ulbrich is saddled with these same ****ty offensive coaches that he’s now responsible for, while simultaneously having less time and help to run the defense. Brilliant, can’t miss move right there. 

There are optics problems with firing him after last season, too:

1. Saddled with Zach Wilson
  2. Saddled with Zach Wilson
  3. Trade for Aaron Rodgers who gets injured after 1 minute. Then saddled with Zach Wilson.
  4. Fired

Then the next incoming HC will be:

1. Forced into Aaron Rodgers age 40-41
  2. Possibly forced into Aaron Rodgers age 41-42. GM who drafted Zach and two other forgettable prospects must go 1-for-1 for your one shot here.
  3. Drafted QB as likely as not will suck.
  4. Fired

May as well find out if Ulbrich is suitable in this role. If they don't, they lose him after the season anyway. 

The only thing they know, that we don't, is behind the scenes how much of the D was Saleh and how much was Ulbrich. Internally they know, of course. Even still, being a competent DC doesn't automatically mean he'll be a competent HC. What'd really suck is seeing him go on to become a competent (or better) HC elsewhere.

Find out if Ulbrich is HC material without having to do a multi-year investment in him, and if it turns out we just replaced unsuccessful positive vibes with unsuccessful lunchpail vibes, then from top to bottom the whole lot gets tossed after this season anyway, as they  then should.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What'd really suck is seeing him go on to become a competent (or better) HC elsewhere.

Find out if Ulbrich is HC material without having to do a multi-year investment in him, and if it turns out we just replaced unsuccessful positive vibes with unsuccessful lunchpail vibes, then from top to bottom the whole lot gets tossed after this season anyway, as they  then should.

To the best of my knowledge, Ulbrich isn’t under contract beyond this season. That means that even if he turns out to be an awesome head coach, the Jets don’t hold his rights. There’s no franchise tag for coaches. He’ll be free to listen other offers. If Rodgers doesn’t start looking more like an MVP than a retiree, the Jets will go into next season with Tyrod, Travis, and ??? at QB. Probably not the most attractive destination. 

22 minutes ago, slats said:

Slats, there are a lot of good and valid points and concerns in this post….but if the question was posed this way:

Have the decisions over the last 72 hours resulted in a net positive or net negative for the remainder of the season, hand to fire what is your gut answer? Obviously the proof will be in the pudding, but your best guess please. Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, i remember shea said:

Slats, there are a lot of good and valid points and concerns in this post….but if the question was posed this way:

Have the decisions over the last 72 hours resulted in a net positive or net negative for the remainder of the season, hand to fire what is your gut answer? Obviously the proof will be in the pudding, but your best guess please. Thanks. 

My honest answer is net negative. The only positive is Hackett’s demotion, but Saleh was doing that, anyway. 

As @Sperm Edwards says, we’re not privy to what’s going on in the locker room, so I don’t know if there was some sort of revolt from the players. They looked like they were still playing hard to me in London, and you have a guy like Sauce coming out after the fact saying “we’re still doing it for him.” Don’t see any players coming out saying hooray, either. It’s not like they fired Josh McDaniels here. 

As the resident positive vibes guy, I’ll be thrilled if I’m wrong on this one. Just seems to me like a move for the sake of making a move. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

My honest answer is net negative. The only positive is Hackett’s demotion, but Saleh was doing that, anyway. 

As @Sperm Edwards says, we’re not privy to what’s going on in the locker room, so I don’t know if there was some sort of revolt from the players. They looked like they were still playing hard to me in London, and you have a guy like Sauce coming out after the fact saying “we’re still doing it for him.” Don’t see any players coming out saying hooray, either. It’s not like they fired Josh McDaniels here. 

As the resident positive vibes guy, I’ll be thrilled if I’m wrong on this one. Just seems to me like a move for the sake of making a move. 

Thank you. Appreciate your perspective. As always. 

5 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

He is at least making an effort to turn things around in the right direction. But if Ulbrich doesn’t work out as a long term solution we are in trouble with the overall situation between GM and getting another HC since we can’t rely on Woody or JD to pick a good one.

Woody couldn’t manage a lemonade stand.  He inherited all of his money and instead of delegating to good people who have a background in football he is shadow GM.  He is a disaster and the biggest reason why 15 years 0 playoff appearances and counting 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think we’re about to find out.

Indeed.

I was not a big fan of Saleh.  His teams have proven to be undisciplined, unprepared, and unimaginative time and time again.  I'm willing to give Ulbrich a shot.

I believe that the three moves that were made (fire Saleh, promote Ulbrich to HC, remove play calling duties from Hackett) are realistically the best shot of salvaging what would have been a lost season.  Saleh was an underachiever at best, a complete fraud at worst, did not have his team prepared, and did not hold his team accountable.  Ulbrich is respected in the locker room and around the league in general and appears to be more of a no nonsense leader.  Retaining Hackett provides system continuity and potentially a smooth transition.  A different play caller can perhaps provide the spark that's needed.

Will it work? This is the New York Jets we are discussing so probably not.  Do I support the attempt?  Yes, I think it shows initiative and urgency.  The window for this team isn't very big.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, BP said:

I was just watching the videos of professor Saleh doing his sermon. Good god, he’s a herm clone. Makes absolutely no sense when he talks.

My question: who’s the ******* moron that interviewed him and was impressed? Good god the lions kicked him out of their building too after he was interviewed.

We’re the Jets, what is there to be positive about going by our track record the last 10 years? We need a realist like @T0mShane to be our leader. All woody does is hire guys like jet nut/Larz, the acolytes of positivity. 

Sitting around watching Robert Saleh videos???????

We are about to be in sole possession of 1st place in the AFC East.  Focus dude!!!!.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, kmnj said:

hackett should have been let go if he is not capable ( I don’t think he is )

it was smart to keep him there.  he's an emotional support pet for rodgers.  that was the only reason rodgers wanted him there.  not for his football abilities, but for local companionship.  so what.  so long as they keep hackett away from running the game, but there for rodgers to use as a sounding board, it is a win-win. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Do I support the attempt?  Yes, I think it shows initiative and urgency.  The window for this team isn't very big.

I think it demonstrates incompetence and dysfunction at the highest level and potentially slams that window shut, but I would prefer to be wrong. 😕 

7 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Jets Fans: do something Woody dammit

Woody does something

Jets Fans: Clown show, worst owner in all of sports 

we’re 2-3 and 2 plays and a couple of yards away from 4-1

I can play that game too.  Will Levis pulling a Will Levis is the only reason we're not 1-4.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can play that game too.  Will Levis pulling a Will Levis is the only reason we're not 1-4.

For sure, but the point I’m making is other than the Niners game we’ve been in position to win the other 4 games, had we been blown out 27-3 or worse in London (and 2 minutes to half-time that was looking on the cards) then yes, it looks grim, but there’s enough reason in our performances thus far to not throw the baby out with the bath water.
None of which changes where we are, we’re still 2-3, and that we have to start winning NOW. But you can look at performance and understand that we are not a million miles away. I guess if you want to frame this all in the context of the last 15 years and beyond you can argue you’ve seen this movie before and it all goes to sh!t from here but for me, there’s enough context to believe that all is not lost….yet 

Woodsy is chief clown. Saleh deserved to be fired, but the timing was tough. Regardless, I don’t think removing him will materially hurt us the rest of the year - if it helps, we have even better clarity. Project us forward and we are 7-10 or so as is. Let’s see what the next weeks bring, I have no idea how to handicap it.

1 hour ago, slats said:

To the best of my knowledge, Ulbrich isn’t under contract beyond this season. That means that even if he turns out to be an awesome head coach, the Jets don’t hold his rights. There’s no franchise tag for coaches. He’ll be free to listen other offers. If Rodgers doesn’t start looking more like an MVP than a retiree, the Jets will go into next season with Tyrod, Travis, and ??? at QB. Probably not the most attractive destination. 

Whatever his contract was, there's a good chance that it's been redone as an interim HC contract (including some more money). 

While it could happen, of course, can you think of an interim HC - whom the prior team wanted to retain - jumped to become HC of another team the following season?

I think if he has some success for the balance of this season he'd accept an extension if offered, and one would hope Woody has the sense to offer it before the final game ends (he should know before then if he thinks this is his guy). 

It's a team he knows and presumably likes. Honestly the team mostly needs a long-term QB, and I take for granted that'd be the situation with many/most open HC positions. Put it this way: a clean slate post-Rodgers is better than being locked into a bad young QB the GM recently went all-in on like Jones, Watson, so far Richardson, Generational Trevor, Young, etc.

Most HCs aren't hired to take over a really good - if not great, or at least promising - young QB (or one young enough that it's presumed he's got at least 4-5 prime years left).

Several (and it's not like they all had success with their inherited QBs either, nor that these were all successful QBs the prior season):

• McDaniel (Tua)
  • McVay (Goff)
  • McCarthy (Dak)
  • MacDonald (Geno)
  • Harbaugh (Herbert)
  • Tomlin (Rapeburger)
  • Sirianni (Wentz, plus question-mark Hurts)
  • Pederson (Generational Trevor)
  • O'Connell (Cousins)
  • I guess Stefanski (Mayfield)
  • Gannon (Murray)

A longer list of those without their known QB of the future -- the QBs from the season that just ended at the time these HCs were hired:

• McDermott: T.Taylor? Meh.
  • Mayo: y1 draft pick
  • John Harbaugh: y1 draft pick
  • Shanahan: (no QB following with the Kaep drama season; they tried moving him to Denver who only wanted him if he took a 50% pay cut, which CK refused, then he opted out of his guaranteed SF contract)
  • Zac Taylor: Dalton
  • Ryans: y1 draft pick
  • Steichen: y1 draft pick
  • Callahan: Levis? meh.
  • Reid: Cassell/Quinn
  • Payton: saddled with R.Wilson on a mega contract + missing 1st rounders for the privilege
  • Pierce (interim/extended): O'Connell
  • Quinn: y1 draft pick
  • Daboll: Jones
  • Campbell: Goff wasn't universally seen as an asset; they took his contract on temporarily to get draft picks for Stafford
  • LaFleur: Rodgers was 36
  • Eberflus: Fields/Dalton
  • Bowles: 45 yr old Brady
  • Morris: Ridder
  • Allen: Dalton + Taysom Hill
  • and for good measure...Saleh: then-bust Darnold or y1 draft pick

Anyway we'll see what opportunities are there after the season. If it's a start-over at QB here (following Rodgers, if he doesn't play next year & if he's not worth keeping for one more year) vs. being locked into say Trevor Lawrence for the next 4 seasons, Watson for at least two seasons, or a Miami team saddled with an injury-retired Tua's $150MM or whatever it is? Who else is thought to be on a potential hot seat after this season? There might be others but it won't be a really long list of great QB situations.