The Jets barely held a training camp and skipped preseason- should we be surprised the season is a disaster?

Matt39

4 hours ago, slats said:

This is bull****, and it’s been pointed out to you before. Many players referred to this year’s camp as the most grueling they’d gone thru as a pro. I get that this is your shtick, but that’s all it is. It’s not based in reality. 

Maybe it was so gruelling because they were in poor shape due to not practicing.

image.gif.69e44523bef05cb9d5a6735773075bac.gif

• Haha 3

I hope the next coach is a disciplinarian who runs proper practices in the heat of July training camp and weeds out the malingerers who fake injuries at that time by cutting them. I have a feeling Woody going to insist the next coach do so, no more country club atmosphere. I was at the London game and it was evident in the pre game warmups how lazy the Jets were while the Vikings came out like caged lions during their warmups. Rodgers came out late and was sleep walking with his pre game routine and spending a lot of time talking to Vikings players, laughing and joking around. I knew right then how this game was going to go. I was right.   

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I hope the next coach is a disciplinarian who runs proper practices in the heat of July training camp and weeds out the malingerers who fake injuries at that time by cutting them. I have a feeling Woody going to insist the next coach do so, no more country club atmosphere. I was at the London game and it was evident in the pre game warmups how lazy the Jets were while the Vikings came out like caged lions during their warmups. Rodgers came out late and was sleep walking with his pre game routine and spending a lot of time talking to Vikings players, laughing and joking around. I knew right then how this game was going to go. I was right.   

If you’re seeing it in pregame then just think what camp was. You can’t half ass football. Saleh did irreparable damage to this current set of young guys.

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Yes, because the season is already dead. And the giving a **** from the team is just about done bc of their performance/record in September/October. The season is over - guys will start phoning it in even more now. 

Look at this team. There could play their starters all 4 games, all 4 quarters, and still look like sh*t after 7 games. That's just who they are. FACTS.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Rodgers schedule in from August 5th - 18th

Aug 7 — No practice because day before joint practice with Commanders

Aug 8 — Joint practice with Commanders, Rogers sits out

Aug 9 — No practice because day after joint practice, day before preseason game 1 (maybe there’s a walk through for the guys who will be playing? It was not reported on anywhere I could find)

Aug 10 — Preseseason game 1 — Rodgers and all starters sit out

Aug 11 — Off day after preseason game 1

Aug 12 — Regular practice

Aug 13 — Regular practice

Aug 14 — No practice because traveling to Carolina

Aug 15 — Joint practice with Panthers

Aug 16 — No practice because day before preseason game 2 … again, maybe there’s a walk through for those who will play?

Aug 17 — Preseason game 2, Rodgers and all starters sit out

Aug 18 — Off day because day after preseason game 2

All in season 

What was Matt Ryan's schedule? He'd never played with any of his pass catchers either.

18 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

What was Matt Ryan's schedule? He'd never played with any of his pass catchers either.

Are the Falcons good? They certainly have a more stable organization than the Jets do. Cousins is also known for an intense level of prep on his own. But even he’s had some questions about taking Tuesday’s off during the year. 

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Are the Falcons good? They certainly have a more stable organization than the Jets do. Cousins is also known for an intense level of prep on his own. But even he’s had some questions about taking Tuesday’s off during the year. 

They're first in their division and leading the Jets in pretty much every statistical category. The thing with them is they have very similar circumstances to the Jets with an older, less than mobile QB who suffered an Achilles injury.

Saleh was a problem. He wasn't there's a lot of people still a part of the organization that are problems themselves. So I feel that blaming it on "lack of practice" when there's not really any solid data that the Jets practiced less than other teams does not make for an accurate accounting of the full breadth of what's wrong with the Jets.

The Jets won 2 of their first 3, no? That was plenty of time to get “synced”. They’ve lost their last 4 after that.
I get it that we all have different opinions about why things have gone so badly, butI this thread just seems like Matt is beating a dead horse.

As I said in another thread, the jets are soft and stupid team. I referenced Mike Tomlin's post game comments about how hard they practice. They have 2 hour practices on Fridays - not walk thrus. They talk about iron on iron, and they mean it.

Read this and then tell me that the Jets had a tough training camp.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5698746/2024/08/14/steelers-training-camp-mike-tomlin/

How many teams engage in live tackling during camp? In an informal poll conducted by The Athletic, 24 of 32 beat writers (75 percent of the league) said the team they cover very rarely or never tackles players to the ground. Four teams tackle in practice sometimes, but typically for short periods with second- or third-team players on the roster’s fringe. Three teams tackle often, including Andy Reid’s Chiefs, Mike McDaniel’s Dolphins and Dan Campbell’s Lions.

Mike Tomlin’s Steelers are in many ways an outlier. When veteran linebacker Elandon Roberts arrived in Latrobe last season for a three-week destination camp, he was, like Fields, initially taken aback.

“I was kind of like, dang, we’re really tackling in camp,” said Roberts, who spent four years with the Patriots and three with the Dolphins before joining the Steelers. “I was cool with it, but I wasn’t expecting it.”

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

They're first in their division and leading the Jets in pretty much every statistical category. The thing with them is they have very similar circumstances to the Jets with an older, less than mobile QB who suffered an Achilles injury.

Saleh was a problem. He wasn't there's a lot of people still a part of the organization that are problems themselves. So I feel that blaming it on "lack of practice" when there's not really any solid data that the Jets practiced less than other teams does not make for an accurate accounting of the full breadth of what's wrong with the Jets.

Lack of practice is part of it. Lack of a system, lack of accountability and an overall lack of any intensity has been infected into this locker room. You can’t watch these games and think the effort is good. They’re sleepwalking. You play like your practice. If practice is just slap dick lollygagging then the games will be too.  The penalties, drops, jogging in pursuit on defense, even not forcing any turnovers. that’s not a talent issue. That’s a lack of giving a sh*t issue. 

5 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

As I said in another thread, the jets are soft and stupid team. I referenced Mike Tomlin's post game comments about how hard they practice. They have 2 hour practices on Fridays - not walk thrus. They talk about iron on iron, and they mean it.

Read this and then tell me that the Jets had a tough training camp.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5698746/2024/08/14/steelers-training-camp-mike-tomlin/

How many teams engage in live tackling during camp? In an informal poll conducted by The Athletic, 24 of 32 beat writers (75 percent of the league) said the team they cover very rarely or never tackles players to the ground. Four teams tackle in practice sometimes, but typically for short periods with second- or third-team players on the roster’s fringe. Three teams tackle often, including Andy Reid’s Chiefs, Mike McDaniel’s Dolphins and Dan Campbell’s Lions.

Mike Tomlin’s Steelers are in many ways an outlier. When veteran linebacker Elandon Roberts arrived in Latrobe last season for a three-week destination camp, he was, like Fields, initially taken aback.

“I was kind of like, dang, we’re really tackling in camp,” said Roberts, who spent four years with the Patriots and three with the Dolphins before joining the Steelers. “I was cool with it, but I wasn’t expecting it.”

In order for the Jets to ever turn this around they need to get serious about practing. Once you start winning and building a culture of winning you can dial it down. Saleh came in and installed a camp with the intensity of a petting zoo. It was four years of this. How is anyone surprised they’re getting the sh*t kicked out of them? 

• Upvote 1

The latest Connor Rodgers and Joe Caporoso podcast on the state of the franchise is one of the best summations I’ve heard in a very long time. Must listen for the frustrated Jets fans interested in the structure of the org. Just don’t listen at work or Jetnation HR narcs will be on you. 

“Sauce is on the Jamal Adams trajectory” 

oh my. Stealing my material 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lack of practice is part of it. Lack of a system, lack of accountability and an overall lack of any intensity has been infected into this locker room. You can’t watch these games and think the effort is good. They’re sleepwalking. You play like your practice. If practice is just slap dick lollygagging then the games will be too.  The penalties, drops, jogging in pursuit on defense, even not forcing any turnovers. that’s not a talent issue. That’s a lack of giving a sh*t issue. 

I feel like you didn't really pay attention to any other team's around the league during the summer. Kirk Cousins, recovering from an Achilles injury, didn't practice much in Atlanta and had never thrown to their pass catchers. In Buffalo, Allen had only ever thrown a pass to one WR.. so why does Rodgers need more than half a season to get on the same page as his WRs? Why will Rodgers/Adams improve more than Allen/Cooper? NE also had Drake Maye who had never thrown a pass to anyone on NE and split (at best) reps with Brisset yet he looks waaaaaay better than Rodgers with his WRs. Russel Wilson just started his first game and performed.. before this offseason.. never played with his pass catchers.

So I just don't see where the Jets practices were different than many other teams and I don't see how that leads to a "greater" improvement for the Jets over other teams.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I feel like you didn't really pay attention to any other team's around the league during the summer. Kirk Cousins, recovering from an Achilles injury, didn't practice much in Atlanta and had never thrown to their pass catchers. In Buffalo, Allen had only ever thrown a pass to one WR.. so why does Rodgers need more than half a season to get on the same page as his WRs? Why will Rodgers/Adams improve more than Allen/Cooper? NE also had Drake Maye who had never thrown a pass to anyone on NE and split (at best) reps with Brisset yet he looks waaaaaay better than Rodgers with his WRs. Russel Wilson just started his first game and performed.. before this offseason.. never played with his pass catchers.

So I just don't see where the Jets practices were different than many other teams and I don't see how that leads to a "greater" improvement for the Jets over other teams.

I don’t even think Rodgers has looked as bad as everyone wants to believe (that he’s the  sole reason the team sucks). He’s certainly part of it and likely coasting, but the problems go way deeper than that. The Jets practice and play with zero pride at all. 

So, Cimini believes that Rodgers is dealing with a leg injury—presumably his hamstring—but he’s trying to gut it out. He leads the league in quickest time to throw but he’s still facing pressure at a pretty high rate. I generally agree with Matt that Saleh ran pussy camps, but they did have Rodgers run a ton of reps this summer, and now he’s breaking down. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Yeah but you are wrong ... So what evidence do you have that you are right... Every single player and reporter said the opposite.. so why should I believe you over every person that was there

Well the practice schedule was posted earlier here and the poster above noted it in warm ups in London.

37 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, Cimini believes that Rodgers is dealing with a leg injury—presumably his hamstring—but he’s trying to gut it out. He leads the league in quickest time to throw but he’s still facing pressure at a pretty high rate. I generally agree with Matt that Saleh ran pussy camps, but they did have Rodgers run a ton of reps this summer, and now he’s breaking down. 

He’s not moving at all and he has grabbed his right hammy several times. If it is his hammy, I wonder if it would have been better to sit him for 2 weeks and let him recuperate. 

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Who’s saying 4 series? At least have a real practice. The reps thing was nonsense considering how many guys were held out. 

we are 7 games into the season. could this have had an effect on the first game or 2? definitely. it's irrelevant at this point. they've had plenty of live action. blaming it on preseason at this point is stupid

17 hours ago, slats said:

This is bull****, and it’s been pointed out to you before. Many players referred to this year’s camp as the most grueling they’d gone thru as a pro. I get that this is your shtick, but that’s all it is. It’s not based in reality. 

Wasn’t Many Players cut the first day of training camp?  I thought he was picked up by Jacksonville for their practice squad?

20 hours ago, Larz said:

What i continually find hilarious about the working class hero bullsh*t is how many hours a day we all steal from our employers checking fantasy football, posting, surfing the internet and arguing with strangers lolololol

NFL players lift weights, do cardio, then they go to meetings, then practice. 

typical poster stealing from his boss on a Tuesday;

IMG_1205.jpeg.7c1e73b251545c2714db2bc447e1821c.jpeg

“Do they even lift bro ?”

1) Nearly all of your posts in your entire history are condescending and snarky.  It’s annoying AF.  

2) You also have a history of comparing players and coaches to regular people to defend them.  You did that with Jamal Adams (by saying he’s way richer than all of us) and now this.  How is that relevant?  

The whole point of a message board when it comes to football discussion is to talk about how the Jets perform relative to their peers, and for 15 years they’ve sucked at this.  Discussing how that happens (and a blanket “it’s Woody” doesn’t tell us all of the “how”) is a legitimate topic of discussion.  

17 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Be careful what you wish for.

In the immortal words of Leon Hess after firing Pete Carroll - I want a disciplinarian - and hired the always famous Kotite.