Whats your worst Jet memory?

SouthernJet

Ohh Those are easy:

1. The Marino fake spike.

2. The double OT loss to the Browns..because of my good pal Gas!

3. The AFC Camp. game loss against Maimi (by the way, Shula, did not cover the field for the entire week...there was a huricane down there and the field was absolutely garbage (the NFL put in place a rule after that game).

4. The INT thrown by Todd in the Playoff game against the Bills.

5. Last but not least, the missed Field goal (2) vs. Pitt in the playoffs in 2005.

I could go on and on.....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't that when Lamont Jordan and Ed Reed hooked up on a 100 yard td strike?

Yeah, but I think there was a penalty during Ed's run. They scored on the drive anyway.

Clock mismanagment, ineptness and bumbling by youknowwho played a large part in that loss.

forgot one..

1997 , parcells 1st year, we lost in detroit on last day of season 13-10 and lost a playoff spot.

there was a horrific endzone call i recall where they said we were out of cbounds i think..

I don't remember that. All I remember is Leon Johnson's int & Barry going over 2000 yards...and that we lost.

I don't remember that. All I remember is Leon Johnson's int & Barry going over 2000 yards...and that we lost.

Dec. 21, 1997 - The Lions clinched their fourth playoff appearance in five years with a come-from-behind 13-10 win over the New York Jets at the sold out Silverdome. The win was highlighted by Barry Sanders becoming only the third man in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season, but marred by a scary injury early in the fourth quarter to Detroit LB Reggie Brown, who lied motionless on the field for several minutes before being transported to a local hospital. New York stormed to a quick 10-0 lead after their first two possessions, scoring on a 32-yard field goal by John Hall, and a 14-yard Adrian Murrell touchdown run. The Lions, however, pitched a shutout for the rest of the game, and went into halftime trailing 10-3 after a 44-yard field goal by Jason Hanson on the last play of the first quarter. Hanson added a 25-yard effort early in the third quarter to trim the lead to 10-6 after Mark Carrier recorded one of three Lions' second half interceptions to give Detroit possession at the Jets' 32-yard-line. While the Detroit defense stiffened, the Lions drove 71 yards in seven plays spanning the end of the third quarter and beginning of the fourth quarter to take a 13-6 lead with Sanders going the final 15 yards for the touchdown. New York drove to the Lions' nine-yard-line on the ensuing possession, but rookie RB Leon Johnson was intercepted by Bryant Westbrook in the end zone after attempting a halfback option pass. The Lions' running game then took over, grinding time off the clock to seal the victory.

Dec. 21, 1997 - The Lions clinched their fourth playoff appearance in five years with a come-from-behind 13-10 win over the New York Jets at the sold out Silverdome. The win was highlighted by Barry Sanders becoming only the third man in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season, but marred by a scary injury early in the fourth quarter to Detroit LB Reggie Brown, who lied motionless on the field for several minutes before being transported to a local hospital. New York stormed to a quick 10-0 lead after their first two possessions, scoring on a 32-yard field goal by John Hall, and a 14-yard Adrian Murrell touchdown run. The Lions, however, pitched a shutout for the rest of the game, and went into halftime trailing 10-3 after a 44-yard field goal by Jason Hanson on the last play of the first quarter. Hanson added a 25-yard effort early in the third quarter to trim the lead to 10-6 after Mark Carrier recorded one of three Lions' second half interceptions to give Detroit possession at the Jets' 32-yard-line. While the Detroit defense stiffened, the Lions drove 71 yards in seven plays spanning the end of the third quarter and beginning of the fourth quarter to take a 13-6 lead with Sanders going the final 15 yards for the touchdown. New York drove to the Lions' nine-yard-line on the ensuing possession, but rookie RB Leon Johnson was intercepted by Bryant Westbrook in the end zone after attempting a halfback option pass. The Lions' running game then took over, grinding time off the clock to seal the victory.

I remember watching that in a local pub, owned by a huge Dolphins fan. I also remember having to walk home 8 miles in the pouring rain afterwards because the local taxis had stopped for the night.

Not one of the better nights.

98' Broncos game.... still hurts...

04' Missed FG's... ugh

00' Broncos game, (i was there) Making the "game winning" drive... only to have VInny T hand it off 4 times at about the 10 yard line to lose the game... ugh

I was still in my old man's sack in 82...and was 1 in 86 so its hard for me to evaluate those events. I think the worst for me personally was probably the Denver game in 98, although the Doug Brien kick in 04 was as heart wrenching as it gets....

I think I can agree with that one. I remember being steaming mad after that one and just walking outside and in the freezing cold and fuming for a while.

Sunday December 24, 1995

Saints at Jets.

We lose 12-0. In front of 28,885 fans who had nothing better to do on a freezing cold Christmas Eve. Brought 2 friends with me along with my Dad, and it was the first time I realized we were a pathetic franchise. Thank God Parcells came a few years later.

It still hurts thinking about that game

Honorable Mention:

Fake Spike 1994. It tore my heart out to see that game since it would be my last game of the season since I was going back to school at UMass for the rest of the football season. Had a 5 hour bus ride, last 2 hours in a blizzard, and then having to walk across campus at Midnight, all alone, in over a foot of unplowed snow, wearing my puffy green Jets jacket. I dont think I have ever been as depressed as I was that day.

Pittsburgh 2004- Had my Dad on one phone and my buddy on the other phone when Brien kicked the 2nd attempt. As soon as he kicked it, I fell to the floor face first, face full of plush carpet, and hung up on both of them without saying a word to either of them.

Didnt talk to either of them for a few days, and both were worried I may have done something stupid, which I said, "its only the Jets, what else would I expect but heartbreak..."

losing Vinny for the season and killing our SB dreams in the 1st half of the opening game in 99

playoff loss to the Steelers was brutal

the home opener of the 02 seasons vs the Pats was pathetic. 44-7 i believe the score was and our leading rusher was the punter.

Ok, the memory is too painful for me so I repressed it...but I can remember 4 words, and maybe someone can tell me why these words send me into fits: Bubby Brister swing pass.

1995 vs Carolina

Brister tries a shovel pass that is picked off by Sam Mills who runs it in for TD.

Panthers win their first game as a franchise.

Yeah that would send me into fits of rage too.

Denver in 1998/99 was bad, but...

"Also the 1986 playoff loss when Gastineau roughing penalty vs Kosar on 4th down Hail Mary extended game we lost."

SO much had to go wrong to lose this game, that you couldn't have gotten odds on what happened. And to have the Browns lose to the Broncos, who then lost to the Jints--UUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Denver in 1998/99 was bad, but...

"Also the 1986 playoff loss when Gastineau roughing penalty vs Kosar on 4th down Hail Mary extended game we lost."

SO much had to go wrong to lose this game, that you couldn't have gotten odds on what happened. And to have the Browns lose to the Broncos, who then lost to the Jints--UUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

As much as people blamed Gastineau for that complete blame belongs to Walton.

They had about a minute to go and the Jets were still up three and O'Brien goes on a QB draw !?! I mean this is freakin Ken O'Brien we are talking about here. He makes Pennington look like Mike Vick running the ball.

O'Brien get tackled behind the line of scrimmage forcing the clock to be stopped. (Cleveland had already used their timeouts). I remember Trumpy who was doing the game with Don Criqui screaming that that goes as a sack and the clock stops under two minutes.

If O'Brien had just handed the ball off the McNeil or Hector the clock would have kept running and the Jets would have punted the ball to the Browns with about 15-20 seconds left. Instead they punt with about 55 seconds left.

Cleveland gets the ball and Kosar gets a huge gain a PI call against Carl Howard. Mosley kicks the field goal to tie the game 20 and send it into overtime.

:character42:

I still have the game on DVD and every now and then I watch it and it makes me sick everytime.

As much as people blamed Gastineau for that complete blame belongs to Walton.

They had about a minute to go and the Jets were still up three and O'Brien goes on a QB draw !?! I mean this is freakin Ken O'Brien we are talking about here. He makes Pennington look like Mike Vick running the ball.

O'Brien get tackled behind the line of scrimmage forcing the clock to be stopped. (Cleveland had already used their timeouts). I remember Trumpy who was doing the game with Don Criqui screaming that that goes as a sack and the clock stops under two minutes.

If O'Brien had just handed the ball off the McNeil or Hector the clock would have kept running and the Jets would have punted the ball to the Browns with about 15-20 seconds left. Instead they punt with about 55 seconds left.

Cleveland gets the ball and Kosar gets a huge gain a PI call against Carl Howard. Mosley kicks the field goal to tie the game 20 and send it into overtime.

:character42:

I still have the game on DVD and every now and then I watch it and it makes me sick everytime.

So it's like your Jets Fan Bulimia Aid, and whenever you're feeling fat you just pop it into the machine?

Nice list of some of the greatest Jets/Titans and the worst.

http://nflhistory.net/shared/greatestgames.asp?Team=4

1. 9/17/60: PATRIOTS 28, NY TITANS 24

It takes all of two games for this franchise to establish a pattern that will persist throughout its history. The Titans lead 24-7 after three. Boston cuts the lead to three in the fourth, but with seven seconds remaining and the Titans lining up to punt, all New York has to do is contain the punt return.

If they can get the kick off first.

Titan punter Rick Sapienza loses the snap in the Polo Grounds "grass"; there follows a mad scramble punctuated by six or seven players touching or kicking the ball; finally, Boston DB Chuck Shonta picks up the loose ball at the NYT 25 and cruises to paydirt with no time on the clock.

2. 12/15/62: OILERS 44, NY TITANS 10

The lame duck Titans play their swan song in front of a Polo Grounds crowd tabbed (generously) at 3,828. Inspired by head coach Clyde "Bulldog" Turner’s pre-game pep talk ("…most of you are playing in your last pro game…you’re not good enough to play anywhere else"), the Titans are moved to offer resistance by apparently blending in to the terrain at Coogan's Bluff . Fittingly, the season, and the Titans’ history, ends with Bob Scrabis—the sixth man to play QB for the Titans in 1962—fumbling the ball away on the game’s final play.

3. 12/16/73: BILLS 34, JETS 14

This game is to be Weeb Ewbank’s last as a head coach, but O.J. Simpson renders that historic moment a mere footnote as he runs for 200 yards to become the first 2,000 yard rusher in football history. The Bills rush 62 times for 304 yards in the snow at Shea, resorting to the pass only five times during the entire game.

4. 12/12/76: BENGALS 42, JETS 3

It's Joe Namath’s last game in a Jets uniform, and he can't take it off fast enough, as he goes 4 for 15 for 20 yards and 4 interceptions. The Bengals and the Shea Stadium mud limit the Jets to 72 total net yards, 8 in the air.

5. 9/9/79: PATRIOTS 56, JETS 3

Richard Todd regains his starting QB job and promptly leads the Jets to what remains the most lopsided loss in franchise history. The Jets give up a then-team record 597 total net yards, and Jet QB’s suffer nine sacks.

6. 12/14/80: SAINTS 21, JETS 20

In a long and storied tradition of ingnominy, this entry is simply the most embarrassing. The 0-14 Aints come marching in to Shea and do the number on the Jets.

7. 12/27/81: BILLS 31, JETS 27 (AFC WILDCARD)

The Jets’ 12-year playoff layoff seems to have an effect: in the first 20 minutes of this contest, the Bills jump on top 24-0. Slowly, the Jets pull to within four, and with 2:36 left in the 4th quarter, they start a march from their own 20; 2:22 later, the ball is at the Buffalo 11. Todd then misses a wide-open Scott Dierking in the end zone, instead opting to throw a jump ball to Derrick Gaffney at the goal line; Bill S Bill Simpson gets to the ball at the 2, and the Jets’ wild season is over.

8. 1/23/83: DOLPHINS 14, JETS 0 (AFC CHAMPIONSHIP)

Don Shula, AJ Duhe, the Fish Bowl’s AWOL tarpaulin and Richard Todd’s five interceptions keep the Jets out of the Super Bowl and cost Walt Michaels his job.

It will take the Jets 16 years to get this far again.

9. 12/10/83: STEELERS 34, JETS 7

It takes a decade, but déjà vu strikes the Jets all over again. Ten seasons previous, an historic Jets moment—Weeb Ewbank’s retirement—was upstaged by another, more historic Hall-of-Famer moment: O. J. Simpson breaking the 2,000 yard barrier. Today the Jets play their final game at Shea; starting in 1984, they take up residency at Jimmy Hoffa Memorial Stadium. However, Steeler QB Terry Bradshaw, who until this game has not played at all in 1983, starts what will prove to be the final game of his Hall-of-Fame career. He goes 5 for 8 for 77 yards and 2 TD’s, and though he only lasts until the 2nd quarter, his presence is enough to spark Pittsburgh to a 34-7 thrashing of the Jets. The derisive Shea crowd that still remains when the gun sounds tears down both goalposts and takes home most of the Shea grass, only to discover that it can't be smoked..

10. 11/10/85: DOLPHINS 21, JETS 17

At the Fish Bowl the Jets come back from down 14-3 to take a 17-14 lead when Ken O’Brien hits Rocky Klever from 20 yards out. The Jets are about to go 8-2, three games ahead of Miami, if they can hold on for just 1:06.

Even 24 seconds is too much to ask.

Jet CB Bobby Jackson goes one-on-one with Mark Duper, tries to play bump and run…and completely loses the Dolphin WR, who breaks into the clear and gathers in the perfect Marino rainbow from 50 yards out for the game-winner with 41 seconds left.

This time, the Jets will somehow recover...but Marino is going to do this again and again and again…simply read on.

11. 11/24/86: DOLPHINS 45, JETS 3

The Jets arrive in the Fish Bowl winners of nine straight since the 51-45 shootout with the Dolphins in Hoffa Stadium back in September. They are the NFL’s best at 10-1, and are on their way to setting all sorts of offensive marks. The Dolphins are still smarting from the effects of that game; at 5-6, playoff hopes are dim to none. However, on this national Monday night stage, Miami will not only put out the Jets’ lights; they will shoot their entire season right out of the skies.

Oddly enough, the barrage starts when Lorenzo Hampton peels off a 54-yard TD run 6:12 into the game. Miami? A running game? Indeed, before the night ends, there will be little Miami cannot—or does not—do to the Jets at will, including scoring seven of the first eight times they have the ball—6 times for TD’s. Even statistics—known to tell a fib or two—make credible witnesses in this murder case. Consider Miami’s advantages in the following:

First Downs: 31-17

Rushing Yards: 189-89

Passing Yards: 325-191

Total Yards: 514-290

Takeaways: 4-0

Time of Possession: 40:23-19:37

And the Jets’ sentence? A horrible death. New York loses its last five games, including this one, by a whopping combined 183-61, or an average of 37-12.

12. BROWNS 23, JETS 20, 2OT (AFC DIVISIONAL)

The Jets are about to come back from the dead. After starting the season 10-1 and then losing their final five games to back into an undeserved playoff spot, the Jets thrash Kansas City 35-15 in the wildcard at Jimmy Hoffa, and now here they are at Drew Carey Stadium up 20-10, four minutes away from the AFC title game. The Browns' Bernie Kosar has just been chased from the pocket and Cleveland now faces a 3rd and 18 at their own 24. There's a flag on the play....

Eau neau. Disastineau.

Mark Gastineau picks the worst time to procrastineau, and the results are catastineau: his egregiously late hit of Kosar gives the Browns 15 yards plus the automatic first down.

Cleveland then prolongs the agony, teasing the Jets with a Mark Moseley 23 yard shank 6:06 into the first OT; but finally, 2:02 into the second after-school period, Moseley's 27 yarder puts the Jets out of their misery.

13. 11/27/94: DOLPHINS 28, JETS 24

Forget that the Jets blow a 24-6 3rd quarter lead and a possible share of first place in front of their largest home crowd ever. Forget that the Jets go on to lose their remaining five games that season…and go 4-28 for the two seasons after that. Forget the psychological impact of the franchise’s ultimate bete noire, Dan Marino—who has made a career of, among a few other notable things, making the Jets look ridiculous—outdoing even himself. In other words, forget the fact that the Jets are the first team to be victimized by "The Fake Spike".

Consider the 735 passing yards between the two quaterbacks in this game; add in the comeback and the invention of a new play; the obvious impact of the game on the fortunes of a franchise, let alone the playoff picture: almost any football fan would call this game a classic.

To a Jet fan, however, this epitomizes "classic Jets."

14. 10/1/95: RAIDERS 47, JETS 10; 10/8/95: BILLS 29, JETS 10

These two games comprise a single entry due to what head coach Rich Kotite inflicts on his players in two consecuive games. In front of a prime-time Sunday Night audience, as the crowd at Jimmy Hoffa coins a new cheer ("Just End The Season") and then begins to openly root for the Raiders, Kotite assigns former college quarterback Vance Joseph to cover all-World Raider WR Tim Brown. At least Joseph gets out of that game with his hide intact; the next week, at OJ Simpson Not Guilty Stadium (the verdict is handed down the previous Wednesday (10/4/95)), Kotite assigns never-started-a-game-at-that-position-in-his-life OT Everett McIver to guard all-World Buffalo DE Bruce Smith--and Jet QB Boomer Esiason pays for it by sustaining a concussion courtesy of a nasty, but perfectly legal, hit from Smith. Somehow, Kotite keeps his job for 26 more games.

As an interesting postscript, Joseph lasts through the season and disappears; McIver actually benefits from his baptism of fire and later gains a starting OL job in Dallas...where a series of concussions ends the career of Hall-of-Fame shoo-in QB Troy Aikman.

15. 9/12/99: PATRIOTS 30, JETS 28

Black Sunday. The game that proves that no matter how good the Jets’ personnel—or management—or coaching—no one, nothing, is immune to The Curse.

The game takes place on the second day of Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, alternatively known as Yom HaDin, or the Day of Judgment. According to Jewish tradition, on this day, G-d inscribes the coming year's fortunes for absolutely everyone and everything in the known (and unknown) universe, although sentence is oftentimes suspended. On this day, sentence is suspended for all of one quarter and a half. The instant Vinny Testaverde crumples to the Hoffa Stadium welcome mat—without having even been touched by another player—G-d’s judgment has been executed for all to see.

GAMES THAT MISSED:

Jets Classics:

RAIDERS 24, JETS 16, '72---The Monday nighter where Namath throws for 400 yards, Maynard become the NFL's all-time receiver, and the Jets lose and are eliominated from the playoffs. Good game, lots of drama, but no real psychological implications (the Jets were in the middle of a second half swoon already; this might just have been the coup-de-grace).

Classic Jets:

CHIEFS 13, JETS 6, '69 AFL DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS: To the person who termed this the beginning of The Curse, the fact that the Chiefs ended up beating the Radiders in Oakland and then win the Super Bowl takes some of the sting out of this game. Plus, no one knew that the Jets would take another 12 years to make the playoffs, or that Broadway Joe would never again play in the postseason.

BEARS 19, JETS 13, OT, '91: In theory, as those of who have written me about this game have been all too insistent upon, the way in which the Jets blew this game was all too characteristic of the franchise' tendencies. True--but I will again insist that two major factors mitigate against its entry: one, the Jets destroyed Miami 41-23 the next week (to the guy who wrote that the Jets lost the next week---the Bear game was Game 4, the Fish game was Game 5--look it up;) two, they eventually made the playoffs. To the guy who wrote that I should include the 23-20 loss to Buffalo in week 3 of the '91 season where the Jets held on to the ball for 38 minutes but lost when Leahy missed a 51-yarder as time expired: tough loss, yes. Characteristic of rip-your-heart-out-and-stomp-on-it Jets losses? Hardly.

"CHERRY" GAMES: As you have noticed, I put in the '80 Saints game and the '95 Carolina game. The '72 Oiler game doesn't make it because it was so early in the season (Game 3; no one could really know that the 1-2 Oilers would go 1-13); the '91 Colts game doesn't make it because the Jets managed to make the playoffs, even at 8-8.

BRONCOS 23, JETS 10: Forget the 10-0 lead ever happened. For all intents and purposes, John Elway had a date with destiny, and the Broncos completely dominated the game: Terrell Davis ran all over the Jets, Curtis was held to 13-14, and the Jets turned the ball over 6 times. The ugliness factor was far below that of the AJ Duhe game, and the collapse of the following season was totally attributable to Vinny's Achilles. As another example of how very impressive teams sometimes play horrible playoff games, just look at what the Pats did to Peyton Manning in the playoffs two years running.

STEELERS 20, JETS 17, OT, '04 DIVISIONAL PLAYOFFS: Yes, the fact that the Jets had two chances to win the game in the final 2:30 and couldn't do it, coupled with the tease of Barrett's INT that set up the second attempt that would have been shorter if Hackett hadn't decided to run backward make this an attractive candidate for the "Classic Jets" list. However consider that: a) if not for Moss' PR TD and Tongue's INT TD, the Steelers would have dominated the game and B) if not for Marty Schottenheimer's brain freezes the week before, the Jets would have lost to SD the same way they eventually lost to the Steelers. It must be said that if Kaeding HAD hit his OT FG, the Charger game WOULD have made the list, and the entry would have simply read: "15. 1/8/05--CHARGERS 20, JETS 17, OT, AFC WILDCARD: Eric (Bleeping) Barton." But not this time.

"6. 12/14/80: SAINTS 21, JETS 20

In a long and storied tradition of ingnominy, this entry is simply the most embarrassing. The 0-14 Aints come marching in to Shea and do the number on the Jets."

That was the weekend after John Lennon was murdered. They had the something something orchestra in the end zone playing Beatles songs all day.

It had to be the coldest day I can remember. And since I was a dumbass in high school and was too cool to wear a hat or gloves and thought a denim jacket and a sweatshirt would do, it was probably even colder.

"6. 12/14/80: SAINTS 21, JETS 20

In a long and storied tradition of ingnominy, this entry is simply the most embarrassing. The 0-14 Aints come marching in to Shea and do the number on the Jets."

That was the weekend after John Lennon was murdered. They had the something something orchestra in the end zone playing Beatles songs all day.

It had to be the coldest day I can remember. And since I was a dumbass in high school and was too cool to wear a hat or gloves and thought a denim jacket and a sweatshirt would do, it was probably even colder.

Help me out,Bugg.I was 7 when this game you're talking about happened,but I could've sworn I was a little older when we lost to the aints.Did we lose our next meeting,too.Similar circumstances?They were chanting that "who dat gonna beat them saints" thing. LOL

haha,ah the memories.I remember when Tony Eason used to look like Joe Montana against us.Then again so did Fergusan,Pagel............lol

Marino's fake spike. I hated the guy before, and hated him even more after. He embarrassed the entire Jet franchise when this happened.

He really didn't have the Jets team fooled on the play, granted they scored. But if you ever go back and look at the tape, im not positive who it was but someone in the Jets secondary went and covered that reciever just got there a split second late.

Mine is the Miami playoff loss in strike shortened 1982 where AJ Duhe got 3 picks from Todd. We had SuperBowl winner written on us that year.

Also the 1986 playoff loss when Gastineau roughing penalty vs Kosar on 4th down Hail Mary extended game we lost.

Top 5 (in no particular order) ...

Losing 1981 Wild Card Game to Bills in '81.

Losing the AFC Championship Game in '82.

Losing the AFC Championship Game in '98.

Losing to Pittsburgh in '04 Divisional Playoff Game.

Namath hurting his knee making a tackle in 1st Exhibtion game vs Detroit in '71.

Archived