Schottenheimer a serious contender for Miami job?

JohnnyCans

Jets offensive coordinator Schottenheimer gets second interview with Dolphins

By Alex Marvez

Sun-Sentinel.com

Posted January 13 2007, 6:18 PM EST

The first finalist for the Dolphins' head coaching position has emerged, as New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is set for a second interview Tuesday at team headquarters.

The youngest candidate interviewed by the Dolphins, the 33-year-old Schottenheimer met last Wednesday with team officials near Jets headquarters. In his first season as an NFL offensive coordinator, Schottenheimer earned praise for operating an innovative system that helped lead the Jets (10-7) into the playoffs.

The Dolphins have interviewed 11 other candidates: Cam Cameron, Dom Capers, Pete Carroll, Chan Gailey, Tim Lewis, Mike Martz, Jim Mora, Ron Rivera, Mike Tomlin, Ron Turner and Ken Whisenhunt. Capers, though, appears out of the running after receiving a three-year contract extension worth roughly $8 million to serve as the Dolphins' defensive coordinator.

Hopefully one of the other 11 :ahhh: get's the job. They are interviewing the entire planet and I'm sitting here waiting for the phone to ring. Now, forcing a D-coordinator on a coach that is yet to be hired is another bumbling maneuver by a franchise in disarray. If there wasn't a chance that we could lose Schott, I'd be sitting here laughing my ass off at the incompetence.

Hopefully one of the other 11 :ahhh: get's the job. They are interviewing the entire planet and I'm sitting here waiting for the phone to ring. Now, forcing a D-coordinator on a coach that is yet to be hired is another bumbling maneuver by a franchise in disarray. If there wasn't a chance that we could lose Schott, I'd be sitting here laughing my ass off at the incompetence.

I couldn't believe I read that either. Not that Capers has done this terrible job as DC, but...

Dolphins brass thinking:

Let's see...

We are in a division with 1 established team that might win their 4th SB in 6 yrs, and 2 other teams fast on the rise.

Our defense is aging.

We have no QB, but we do have 2 has-been's (1 a college has-been) & the other a QB whose success was heavily tied to his mobility & now he has none.

We have no HC.

Our last one just quit on us.

We need a new one & have the opportunity to get the pick of the litter.

Hmmm.....

Let's tell every applicant that if he's hired he MUST use the incumbent DC even if he doesn't like him personally, doesn't agree with him half the time, or thinks many of his schemes/methods need to be changed. And that because said DC's extension was SO lucrative, he may not be fired for 2 years; 3 years if the defense is at least mediocre.

Unreal.

It's sickening.

The Pats' coaching staff was left intact for waaaay too long, winning Superbowl after Superbowl.

Now, after we've shown to have a great young group to, hopefully, stay to gether for many years, might be gutted after one freaking season.

LEAVE OUR GUYS ALONE.............at least until after a championship.

It's sickening.

The Pats' coaching staff was left intact for waaaay too long, winning Superbowl after Superbowl.

Now, after we've shown to have a great young group to, hopefully, stay to gether for many years, might be gutted after one freaking season.

We will seee what happens in the next week.

It's sickening.

The league is impatient. I swear Romeo or Charlie lost out on jobs because they weren't available (i.e. Pats still playing games) for a month longer than everyone else.

Long term vision many owners do not have.

I couldn't believe I read that either. Not that Capers has done this terrible job as DC, but...

Dolphins brass thinking:

Let's see...

We are in a division with 1 established team that might win their 4th SB in 6 yrs, and 2 other teams fast on the rise.

Our defense is aging.

We have no QB, but we do have 2 has-been's (1 a college has-been) & the other a QB whose success was heavily tied to his mobility & now he has none.

We have no HC.

Our last one just quit on us.

We need a new one & have the opportunity to get the pick of the litter.

Hmmm.....

Let's tell every applicant that if he's hired he MUST use the incumbent DC even if he doesn't like him personally, doesn't agree with him half the time, or thinks many of his schemes/methods need to be changed. And that because said DC's extension was SO lucrative, he may not be fired for 2 years; 3 years if the defense is at least mediocre.

Unreal.

If your tell Capers to sit tight and wait to see who gets the job to sit for an interview with the new HC, that makes sense. But I cannot seee any new HC liking such a setup. There are only 32 of these jobs and I imagine if someone's offered they'll take it. But it's a bad situation. Welcome Coach X-1/3 of the team is off limits to you!

It's sickening.

Beliprick denied a lot of teams permission to interview there coaches for other jobs. I know the Jets wanted to bring in Mangini as DC when he was DB coach with the Pats but it was nixed by BB.

If your tell Capers to sit tight and wait to see who gets the job to sit for an interview with the new HC, that makes sense. But I cannot seee any new HC liking such a setup. There are only 32 of these jobs and I imagine if someone's offered they'll take it. But it's a bad situation. Welcome Coach X-1/3 of the team is off limits to you!

Just shows you how screwed up the thinking of the Dolfags is.

First off, I hope the Dolphins don't hire him. The most glaring reason is that he hasn't done anything yet. The Chargers weren't insanely great at the QB position when he was the coach. The Jets had similar numbers to Miami this year on offense (and the Fish were just disgusting to watch sometimes on offense). Combine all this with his lack of experience, and I would not be all that happy to see him wearing aqua and orange on the Miami sidelines.

As for Capers, he's one of the best defensive minds in the game. Why risk some young, inexperienced head coach (like Cameron or "Schotty") opting to replace him with a lesser coordinator? It's a risk that the new HC won't be able to handle it, but why on Earth is it a bad thing already? Have the Dolphins played one game under the arrangement???

First off, I hope the Dolphins don't hire him. The most glaring reason is that he hasn't done anything yet. The Chargers weren't insanely great at the QB position when he was the coach. The Jets had similar numbers to Miami this year on offense (and the Fish were just disgusting to watch sometimes on offense). Combine all this with his lack of experience, and I would not be all that happy to see him wearing aqua and orange on the Miami sidelines.

As for Capers, he's one of the best defensive minds in the game. Why risk some young, inexperienced head coach (like Cameron or "Schotty") opting to replace him with a lesser coordinator? It's a risk that the new HC won't be able to handle it, but why on Earth is it a bad thing already? Have the Dolphins played one game under the arrangement???

What you mean like the ressurgance of now 2-time pro bowler Drew Brees? Brees was a nothing, then all of a sudden became a star...i dont understand how you can say the QB position wasnt insanely great, it most certainly was.

Bro they had Brees, that we mistakedly passed up twice, that were very bad moves twice.

What you mean like the ressurgance of now 2-time pro bowler Drew Brees? Brees was a nothing, then all of a sudden became a star...i dont understand how you can say the QB position wasnt insanely great, it most certainly was.

:confused: I was thinking the exact same thing... he took a nobody (Brees) and turned him into a pro-bowl QB....

Who ever takes the job-young guy, old guy, experienced, neophyte-it makes no difference. You put that person on notice on Day 1 that the defense is off limits. That's not a good situation for a coach that will be held to account for a defense he won't have anything to do with on a daily basis. All the accountability of a HC, but only 2/3s of the decisions. You're setting up your own ruin. Capers might be a good coach, but at some point he and the HC will disagree.Who decides-Huzienga? Capers? Coach X? And Huzienga's framework has before they've ever played a game set them up for conflict. You cannot really be in charge and responsible if 1/3 of the team isn't your responsbility or subject to your control.

If you don't understand this, you will, and some day soon in the future. Bbecause while they'll undoubtedly have a smiley face press conference to introduce Coach X, at some point said coach and Capers will bump heads.

Bro they had Brees, that we mistakedly passed up twice, that were very bad moves twice.

ding ding

Look, i agree he's NOT ready for a HC job yet...but the man certainly has the ability to get the most out of a quarterback. Whether its transforming Brees, or utilizing Chad's strengths this year, he has shown he knows what he's doing. Give him 3 years and not only will he be a HC, he'll be a successful one.

:confused: I was thinking the exact same thing... he took a nobody (Brees) and turned him into a pro-bowl QB....

Exactly...and the most amazing thing about it all was, he didn't just put brees in a good system to make him look good, he obviously helped Brees develop into a top notch QB, as can be seen in NO this year. No way the Saints make it this far without Brees at QB, IMO.

If schott leaves, that could be very detrimental to our offense. He took a bunch of unproved players and qb with a surgically repaired shoulders and turned them into a solid offense. Maybe not a great one but one that was good enough to win games.

ding ding

Look, i agree he's NOT ready for a HC job yet...but the man certainly has the ability to get the most out of a quarterback. Whether its transforming Brees, or utilizing Chad's strengths this year, he has shown he knows what he's doing. Give him 3 years and not only will he be a HC, he'll be a successful one.

I don't disagree with you. They have Capers set, and if they can find an offensive coordinator they feel comfortable with, maybe Jason Garrett, who Jon Gruden called one of the smartest coaches he has been around, then Shotty might very well be in a position to learn the trade on the go, and be surrounded by a good support team.

I don't disagree with you. They have Capers set, and if they can find an offensive coordinator they feel comfortable with, maybe Jason Garrett, who Jon Gruden called one of the smartest coaches he has been around, then Shotty might very well be in a position to learn the trade on the go, and be surrounded by a good support team.

Who would be your top 3 picks as HC of the phins next year, just curious?

Capers being retained as defensive coordiantor almost guarantees that Schottenheimer or Tomlin is the new coach and probably its Schott. Schott is probably the most open to having a veteran defensive mind calling the shots on defense. Someoen like Cameron would probably want his own people there

And:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-garrett011207,0,1737191.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Report: Garrett turns down Saban at Alabama

By Keven Lerner

Sun-Sentinel.com

Posted January 14 2007

Dolphins quarterbacks coach Jason Garrett reportedly won't be following former Dolphins coach Nick Saban to Alabama.

Garrett turned down Saban's offer to become Alabama's offensive coordinator on Friday, according to The Birmingham News.

The Dolphins have blocked Garrett from interviewing for Cleveland's offensive coordinator spot. The team's decision is believed to be based on not wanting to risk losing Garrett, a well-respected assistant, to another NFL team before having a new coach in place to determine the fate of the current staff.

And:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-garrett011207,0,1737191.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

By Keven Lerner

Sun-Sentinel.com

Posted January 14 2007

Dolphins quarterbacks coach Jason Garrett reportedly won't be following former Dolphins coach Nick Saban to Alabama.

Garrett turned down Saban's offer to become Alabama's offensive coordinator on Friday, according to The Birmingham News.

The Dolphins have blocked Garrett from interviewing for Cleveland's offensive coordinator spot. The team's decision is believed to be based on not wanting to risk losing Garrett, a well-respected assistant, to another NFL team before having a new coach in place to determine the fate of the current staff.

wow that seems wrong doesn't it? I mean it's OK to try and clip our OC but they won't let THEIR QB coach go yet?

I don't think that's a good thing for the Jets.. Schott came in and did a good job last year.. If he leaves, which he should if it's a HC job, that means the Jets will have yet another OC. Chad P and the offense will probably have to learn a new offense. Yeah, some things can be similar, but the fact is, every coach has their own styles.. FOr the Jets sake, I hope Schott doesn't leave.. Otherwise it's almost a step back because the offense will basically have to learn a new system once again. WHile it probably won't be a season long process, you never know depending on who the OC is.

I don't think that's a good thing for the Jets.. Schott came in and did a good job last year.. If he leaves, which he should if it's a HC job, that means the Jets will have yet another OC. Chad P and the offense will probably have to learn a new offense. Yeah, some things can be similar, but the fact is, every coach has their own styles.. FOr the Jets sake, I hope Schott doesn't leave.. Otherwise it's almost a step back because the offense will basically have to learn a new system once again. WHile it probably won't be a season long process, you never know depending on who the OC is.

then again if he DOES leave and we DO get another OC that might just open it up for Kellen Clemens to maybe be able to step up and start-who knows that could be a good thing too...Chad is best equipped mentally to run a Brian Schott offense

And:

I thought they couldn't block him if it was for a promotion? Doesn't that mean that had to already promote him to OC? I don't get it.

Since when was he nothing? He was considered among the best out of college. By the way, he is now a much better quarterback than he was with San Diego. When I say "insanely great", I mean being (late in the season) on pace to break Marino's all-time yardage mark in a season. Not a pro-bowl.

Who ever takes the job-young guy, old guy, experienced, neophyte-it makes no difference. You put that person on notice on Day 1 that the defense is off limits. That's not a good situation for a coach that will be held to account for a defense he won't have anything to do with on a daily basis. All the accountability of a HC, but only 2/3s of the decisions. You're setting up your own ruin. Capers might be a good coach, but at some point he and the HC will disagree. Who decides-Huzienga? Capers? Coach X? And Huzienga's framework has before they've ever played a game set them up for conflict. You cannot really be in charge and responsible if 1/3 of the team isn't your responsbility or subject to your control.

How do you know the new head coach won't have any control over defense? As of right now, the Dolphin coach has THE SAY. Although they have been discussing altering that, you just assume they won't settle on a decision-making hierarcy before the season starts. I'm sure Capers is well aware of whom the boss is. I'm not predicting Miami will thrive under such a scenario, but I'm not rushing to condemn it.

As for the Dolphins passing on Brees, twice, yes... that was really bad. Considering what the Fish had instead, especially.

Archived