This is what an arm looks like, boys and girls...

TaborJet

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/

"Joe Namath's Greatest Throw"

I wasn't alive yet, but for some of the elders on here...what was your reaction to seeing that pass?

Nice, actually that throw he is most memorable for and that pass was 75-85 total yards in the air (which includes the high of flight of the ball). And against the wind.

His best throw though cam against the Baltimore Colts when he threw for something like 490 yards. In one play he was standing (4 step drop) on his 10 yard line and threw the ball (over threw Maynard) to the 10 yard line!!!! There wasn't a throw like that since. Maybe Bert Jones could have done that or maybe Elway in his prime.

As for Chad, Chad couldn't hold Namaths cup (both crotch or coffee)!!!!

Joe Namath has the perfect release. When you want to teach a little kid how to play quarterback and the proper way to throw a football, you put on Broadway Joe. Was watching an interview with him one day, and they asked him is he reminded of himself when he see's anyone throw a football. He said since he retired, Marino has come close, Manning, and Brady.

Being one of the older guys on this board, I had the priviledge of seeing Namath play.

It was a tremendous throw, but it was just one of many that Namath made over his career. Was it his best? I don't know. I remember alot of unbelievable passes that Namath made, even after he couldn't move anymore.

The guy was great and had he been able to remain healthy and if the Jets weren't so cheap as an organization in the early '70's, there's no telling what Namath could have accomplished. Ask Lombardi, Al Davis, John Madden, and Bill Walsh, who were all awed by the guy's talent and ability.

That said, it's amazing to me how many people on many other boards bash Namath and the fact that he is in the HOF. They always site his stats as being sub HOF. I saw one thread that even compared him to Trent Dilfer for Chrissakes!

I coach HS football and you wouldn't believe how many kids ask me if I think Namath should be in the Hall for the same reasons.

I tell them that stats are overrated. I tell them it was a different game back then. And I also tell them that unless you saw Joe Namath play in his prime, you can never have an appreciation for his talent or his accomplishments on the field.

Preparing a game plan and calling plays is now a separate full-time job in the NFL (Offensive Coordinator). Back then, those responsibilities sat with the QB, in addition to executing the plays themselves. Remember, Namath called almost every play in SB III at the line of scrimmage. That doesn't happen today.

Joe Namath was the first "superstar" of the NFL. He was an unbelievable talent and character who changed how the QB position is played forever, changed how athletes are looked up in society, opening doors for athletes that were previously closed, and helped shape today's NFL.

Being one of the older guys on this board, I had the priviledge of seeing Namath play.

It was a tremendous throw, but it was just one of many that Namath made over his career. Was it his best? I don't know. I remember alot of unbelievable passes that Namath made, even after he couldn't move anymore.

The guy was great and had he been able to remain healthy and if the Jets weren't so cheap as an organization in the early '70's, there's no telling what Namath could have accomplished. Ask Lombardi, Al Davis, John Madden, and Bill Walsh, who were all awed by the guy's talent and ability.

That said, it's amazing to me how many people on many other boards bash Namath and the fact that he is in the HOF. They always site his stats as being sub HOF. I saw one thread that even compared him to Trent Dilfer for Chrissakes!

I coach HS football and you wouldn't believe how many kids ask me if I think Namath should be in the Hall for the same reasons.

I tell them that stats are overrated. I tell them it was a different game back then. And I also tell them that unless you saw Joe Namath play in his prime, you can never have an appreciation for his talent or his accomplishments on the field.

Preparing a game plan and calling plays is now a separate full-time job in the NFL (Offensive Coordinator). Back then, those responsibilities sat with the QB, in addition to executing the plays themselves. Remember, Namath called almost every play in SB III at the line of scrimmage. That doesn't happen today.

Joe Namath was the first "superstar" of the NFL. He was an unbelievable talent and character who changed how the QB position is played forever, changed how athletes are looked up in society, opening doors for athletes that were previously closed, and helped shape today's NFL.

Same here, I saw Joe play. And I know I am a life long Jets fan, and I saw the following QB's play:

Johnny Unitas

Bart Starr

Bob Greise

Plunkett

Starbach

Bradshaw

The Vikings QB (can't place the name but he wore No. 10)

The Snake Stabler

And all the other so-called greats....

But I would put my money on Namath any day of the week in a big game. No question.

Joe Namath has the perfect release. When you want to teach a little kid how to play quarterback and the proper way to throw a football, you put on Broadway Joe. Was watching an interview with him one day, and they asked him is he reminded of himself when he see's anyone throw a football. He said since he retired, Marino has come close, Manning, and Brady.

Guys I've seen who have had similar releases to Namath, although not all as successful:

1. Dan Marino (quickest release since Namath)

2. Warren Moon (quick release and a very similar throwing style)

3. Jeff George (Similar style, but obviusly no where near the results or the intelligence level of Broadway Joe).

4. Dan Pastorini (go back and look at the old Oiler film. If the guy was wearing a green and white #12 jersey, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference visually).

5. Richard Todd (Namath was Todd's idol, and it showed in his style).

Manning has a quick release, but has a longer throwing motion than Namath did. Favre also has a quick release, although he has much more of an "over the top" throwing motion than Namath's, whose release tended to be more of a three quarters motion. Also, Peyton is much more active with his feet than Namath, who at times, actually looked statuesque before he'd uncork a missile.

Montana, Brady has a longer motion then either of them.

While some have come close, Namath's release is still the fastest I've ever seen.

Guys I've seen who have had similar releases to Namath, although not all as successful:

1. Dan Marino (quickest release since Namath)

2. Warren Moon (quick release and a very similar throwing style)

3. Jeff George (Similar style, but obviusly no where near the results or the intelligence level of Broadway Joe).

4. Dan Pastorini (go back and look at the old Oiler film. If the guy was wearing a green and white #12 jersey, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference visually).

5. Richard Todd (Namath was Todd's idol, and it showed in his style).

Manning has a quick release, but has a longer throwing motion than Namath did. Favre also has a quick release, although he has much more of an "over the top" throwing motion than Namath's, whose release tended to be more of a three quarters motion. Also, Peyton is much more active with his feet than Namath, who at times, actually looked statuesque before he'd uncork a missile.

Montana, Brady has a longer motion then either of them.

While some have come close, Namath's release is still the fastest I've ever seen.

100% correct...if you take a look at the QB's I listed and then include your listed QB's, Namath was in my opinion the greatest "QB". In the true sense of the word QB. Also I agree that in terms of releases, no other QB had a faster release or a more accurate throw based on that release, or throw further down field. The only other QB that has some of the attributes that you can compare would be Fouts (but he had a much better O-line).

good post joewillie, I hope you made those kids run laps for posing such a question ;)

YA Tittle was my 1st qb hero but was quickly replaced by joewilly. My mom hated him & couldn't believe my obsession over everything joe namath when there were clean cut guys like johhny U. out there to look up to. Pure passing? there were none better.

good post joewillie, I hope you made those kids run laps for posing such a question ;)

YA Tittle was my 1st qb hero but was quickly replaced by joewilly. My mom hated him & couldn't believe my obsession over everything joe namath when there were clean cut guys like johhny U. out there to look up to. Pure passing? there were none better.

Thanks JW.

He was fun to root for, that's for sure.

I once heard someone say that HOF coach Vince L. said that Joe was the Purest Passer he has ever seen ! Wow that's big coming from Vince himself.

p.s. I think I spelled purest wrong not sure lol

This is true. It's also been written that Lomdardi told some that he would loved to have had the opportunity to coach Namath.

Bill Walsh called Namath the most beautiful, stylish passer with the quickest release he's ever seen.

John Madden said he was the only opposing QB he ever feared as a coach, and that when the Raiders played the Jets, the entire defensive game plan revolved around stopping Namath and Namath only. Also called him one of the most courageous PLAYERS he's ever seen.

Al Davis was awed by Namath's talent. Said the "sucker plays like he's always going down hill".

Don Shula said Namath had the quickest release of any quarterback who's ever played and also called him one of the top 3 smartest quarterbacks of all-time.

Bear Bryant called Namath the "the greatest athlete he ever coached".

And I think it was Chuck Nnox (I could be wrong on this one) who called Namath "one part Unitas, one part Ali, one part Clark Gable, one part Beatle".

And other quarterbacks like Terry Bradshaw, Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde, and Joe Montana all say Namath was their boyhood idol.

But I think we all get the picture ... he was pretty good.

I'm proud to be a Jets fan with the knowledge I've seen in this thread. It's great to have guys that can tell/show us the history that some of us didn't get to see because it happened long before we were born. I hope sometime in my lifetime we get another Jet QB like that...I wish Pennington had that talent because he does have the heart and likes our organization, but sadly he is clearly physically limited.

Bear Bryant called Namath the "the greatest athlete he ever coached".

And I think it was Chuck Nnox (I could be wrong on this one) who called Namath "one part Unitas, one part Ali, one part Clark Gable, one part Beatle"..

Great post's in this thread JoeWillie great post's, though im not sure if it was Chuck who said the quote, it was def a classic (part beatle). See I don't know if you'll agree with me JoeWillie but another thing I dont Namath get's enough credit for is he actually revolutionized the sport and the way football players acted. He at one time,was bigger than the sport itself. He was the first football player to be basically a Beatle lol, a celebirty. If you ask me the two most influential athletes of all time have to be Namath and Ali.

Great post's in this thread JoeWillie great post's, though im not sure if it was Chuck who said the quote, it was def a classic (part beatle). See I don't know if you'll agree with me JoeWillie but another thing I dont Namath get's enough credit for is he actually revolutionized the sport and the way football players acted. He at one time,was bigger than the sport itself. He was the first football player to be basically a Beatle lol, a celebirty. If you ask me the two most influential athletes of all time have to be Namath and Ali.

You're absolutely correct, ManG.

Namath, along with Muhammed Ali, were the first athletes that really transended their respective sports.

Namath was the NFL's first "Superstar".

He starred in TV Shows, movies, commercials ... hell, he even hosted the Tonight Show when Johnny Carson went on vacation. Never saw Unitas or Butkus do that.

He was the first and most successful commercial property of the NFL and helped open doors that were previously closed to pro athletes.

Interesting story on the DVD that comes with the new Namath book, which if you love Namath like I do, I highly recommend purchasing.

Paul Zimmerman from SI tells the story of Denver DT Dave Costa, who in a game in the early '70's hits Namath and knocks him out for the rest of the game. Zimmerman sees Costa walking out of the Jets locker room after the game and asks him what he's doing there. Costa proceeds to tell him he wanted to make sure Namath was OK. Zimmerman asks why and Costa says "You kidding? He's the reason we're all making the money we are now. I don't want to hurt him".

I think that says a lot about what many other players felt about Namath and the impact he had on the game and the sport in general.

Nice, actually that throw he is most memorable for and that pass was 75-85 total yards in the air (which includes the high of flight of the ball). And against the wind.

His best throw though cam against the Baltimore Colts when he threw for something like 490 yards. In one play he was standing (4 step drop) on his 10 yard line and threw the ball (over threw Maynard) to the 10 yard line!!!! There wasn't a throw like that since. Maybe Bert Jones could have done that or maybe Elway in his prime.

As for Chad, Chad couldn't hold Namaths cup (both crotch or coffee)!!!!

First, that play might have been reversed on replay in today's game, as it appears that Maynard didn't have the ball long enough. But it was still a great throw.

Not his best, however. That game against Baltimore (the 497 yard game), I still remember the two passes to Richard Caster for back-to-back 80 yard TDs. But the best pass I ever saw him throw was a 7 or 8 yard out in the Super Bowl. Lenny Lyles tried to jump the pattern, and he couldn't believe the ball was already past him when he made his move. I believe he later said that he intercepted that pass against any other QB in the game.

Joe had an amazing arm but unfortunately most of his passes seemed to end up in opponents hands rather than his receivers.

True statement, but the beauty of Namath can not be found in any statistics.

Like I said earlier, I think it's really difficult to appreciate what kind of player he was and what he meant to football if you didn't live through that period and actually get to see him play.

First of all, he played in a period where it was much more difficult to throw the ball. Pass defense rules for defensive backs back in the 60's and 70's were much more in favor of the defense than it is now.

There were also no rules preventing QB's from being hit.

There were no domes or turf fields in those days, so games were played under much more adverse conditions.

There was no systematic short passing system like the West Coast offense, so most of Namath's attempts were of the "downfield variety". In fact, Namath averaged about 14.6 yards per completion, which is one of the highest, if not the highest, in the history of the league. Check out this stat compared to other Namath contemporaries:

Namath - 14.6

Unitas - 14.2

Dawson - 13.9

Starr - 13.6

And a few other more modern guys ...

Marino - 12.3

Manning - 12.0

Montana - 11.8

I'm not a big stat guy, but I'm just using this particular statistic to help illustrate how the passing game was different back then and why that style did open up quarterbacks of that era to more interceptions than the one's that play today. In fact, if you go back and compare QB's of that era to today's QB's and look at the TD/INT ratios of both, you'll notice that the quarterbacks of the 60's and 70's threw more interceptions in general, mostly due to some of what I describe above.

Now, couple all that with the fact that Namath played for the entire second half of his career on two of the worst legs ever and because of the Jet's cheapness in the early 70's, on some of the worst teams ever. I'm not talking bad teams, I'm talking terrible teams, who's only real offensive threat was Namath. When you found yourself down 3 touchdowns at the half, as the Jets frequently did back in those days, it's alot easier to play pass defense.

Also bear in mind that Namath played in one of the worst stadiums in the league for his entire career. Shea Stadium holds alot of great memories for Jet fans, but for a QB, with it's high winds, it was not a place conducive to passing the football.

Lastly, keep in mind that Namath played his ENTIRE career without a great running back at his disposal. Now Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer were good players, but let's face it, you'd be hardpressed to find fans outside of NY that have even heard of these guys.

Roger Staubach had Tony Dorsett, Tony Hill, and Drew Pearson.

Terry Bradshaw had Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth.

Joe Montana had Roger Craig, Jerry Rice and John Taylor.

Peyton Manning had Edgerrin James along with Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

Namath had Maynard for about 8 seasons and that's it.

True you can say the same for Marino, Elway, and Favre, none of which had great RB's either, but these are possibly two of the top 5 QB's to ever play, in any era.

As I said, it's tough to find the beauty of Namath in statistics. It was a different game back then.

Was he the best ever over the course of his career compared to others? No.

But in his prime, over a period of about 5 seasons, he was the most prolific, exciting player in the game, and if I could take any QB in their prime for one game to win, it would be him.

That's why he's in the Hall of Fame and that's why, to this day, the NFL still reveres him as one of the most important players in history.

PS. For anyone really interested in Namath, I highly recommend the new autobiography that's out. The book is very good, but the DVD that comes with it is a "must watch". It's produced by NFL Films and it's without a doubt, the best feature I've seen on Namath. If you really want to gain an appreciation for the player, the DVD is an excellent resource.

First, that play might have been reversed on replay in today's game, as it appears that Maynard didn't have the ball long enough. But it was still a great throw.

Not his best, however. That game against Baltimore (the 497 yard game), I still remember the two passes to Richard Caster for back-to-back 80 yard TDs. But the best pass I ever saw him throw was a 7 or 8 yard out in the Super Bowl. Lenny Lyles tried to jump the pattern, and he couldn't believe the ball was already past him when he made his move. I believe he later said that he intercepted that pass against any other QB in the game.

One other note on that game ...

Namath finished 15 of 28 for 496 yards and 6 TD's in that game in Baltimore in 1972. That's a whopping 33 yards per completion.

But he had to get back to New York immediately following the game because he was scheduled to appear on Sesame Street in a segment with "Big Bird". :)

One other note on that game ...

Namath finished 15 of 28 for 496 yards and 6 TD's in that game in Baltimore in 1972. That's a whopping 33 yards per completion.

But he had to get back to New York immediately following the game because he was scheduled to appear on Sesame Street in a segment with "Big Bird". :)

33 yards PER completion. When we see ONE 33-yard completion it keeps some here completely satisfied for weeks.

True statement, but the beauty of Namath can not be found in any statistics.

Like I said earlier, I think it's really difficult to appreciate what kind of player he was and what he meant to football if you didn't live through that period and actually get to see him play.

First of all, he played in a period where it was much more difficult to throw the ball. Pass defense rules for defensive backs back in the 60's and 70's were much more in favor of the defense than it is now.

There were also no rules preventing QB's from being hit.

There were no domes or turf fields in those days, so games were played under much more adverse conditions.

There was no systematic short passing system like the West Coast offense, so most of Namath's attempts were of the "downfield variety". In fact, Namath averaged about 14.6 yards per completion, which is one of the highest, if not the highest, in the history of the league. Check out this stat compared to other Namath contemporaries:

Namath - 14.6

Unitas - 14.2

Dawson - 13.9

Starr - 13.6

And a few other more modern guys ...

Marino - 12.3

Manning - 12.0

Montana - 11.8

I'm not a big stat guy, but I'm just using this particular statistic to help illustrate how the passing game was different back then and why that style did open up quarterbacks of that era to more interceptions than the one's that play today. In fact, if you go back and compare QB's of that era to today's QB's and look at the TD/INT ratios of both, you'll notice that the quarterbacks of the 60's and 70's threw more interceptions in general, mostly due to some of what I describe above.

Now, couple all that with the fact that Namath played for the entire second half of his career on two of the worst legs ever and because of the Jet's cheapness in the early 70's, on some of the worst teams ever. I'm not talking bad teams, I'm talking terrible teams, who's only real offensive threat was Namath. When you found yourself down 3 touchdowns at the half, as the Jets frequently did back in those days, it's alot easier to play pass defense.

Also bear in mind that Namath played in one of the worst stadiums in the league for his entire career. Shea Stadium holds alot of great memories for Jet fans, but for a QB, with it's high winds, it was not a place conducive to passing the football.

Lastly, keep in mind that Namath played his ENTIRE career without a great running back at his disposal. Now Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer were good players, but let's face it, you'd be hardpressed to find fans outside of NY that have even heard of these guys.

Roger Staubach had Tony Dorsett, Tony Hill, and Drew Pearson.

Terry Bradshaw had Franco Harris, Lynn Swann, John Stallworth.

Joe Montana had Roger Craig, Jerry Rice and John Taylor.

Peyton Manning had Edgerrin James along with Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne.

Namath had Maynard for about 8 seasons and that's it.

True you can say the same for Marino, Elway, and Favre, none of which had great RB's either, but these are possibly two of the top 5 QB's to ever play, in any era.

As I said, it's tough to find the beauty of Namath in statistics. It was a different game back then.

Was he the best ever over the course of his career compared to others? No.

But in his prime, over a period of about 5 seasons, he was the most prolific, exciting player in the game, and if I could take any QB in their prime for one game to win, it would be him.

That's why he's in the Hall of Fame and that's why, to this day, the NFL still reveres him as one of the most important players in history.

PS. For anyone really interested in Namath, I highly recommend the new autobiography that's out. The book is very good, but the DVD that comes with it is a "must watch". It's produced by NFL Films and it's without a doubt, the best feature I've seen on Namath. If you really want to gain an appreciation for the player, the DVD is an excellent resource.

Good stuff, JW

(SC)Joe_Namath_Photo.jpg

Joe was no doubt a great talent that lost alot of his ability due to injury but they keep stats for a reason. I lok at individual #s, winning and how players perform in big games and I believe the best QBs have a mixture of those 3 areas. Joe didn't win enough and didn't have good #s overall. I know he took alot of chances and I know the era was different where more INts were thrown but he had a -47 TD to INT ratio and he only made 2 playoff appearances. The overall body of work was incomplete based on his injuries. That is typical jets luck, we have an all-time great talent yet we lose him early b/c of injuries.

Archived