NFL head coaches=bad fathers?

BoomBoomMancini

people are bashing boom boom but the truth is he's absolutely right

what sort of father works 24 hours a day, on the road all the time, never sees his children and most galling of all, acts like a father figure to 53 total strangers?

im not going to say 100% of NFL coaches are bad fathers but the job description sets alot of them up to fail as parents... it's true. They are s--tty husbands as well, and not so good people in general.

what sort of father works 24 hours a day, on the road all the time, never sees his children and most galling of all, acts like a father figure to 53 total strangers?

im not going to say 100% of NFL coaches are bad fathers but the job description sets alot of them up to fail as parents... it's true. They are s--tty husbands as well, and not so good people in general.

Well Dungy seems like a good guy. I think he is a good person. Certainly not my place to judge. That being said I wouldn't want my Dad to be a coach in the NFL. Except on pay day!

Well Dungy seems like a good guy. I think he is a good person. Certainly not my place to judge.

i got no qualms judging

if you hooked Dungy up to a polygraph and asked him which would you rather have your son back alive or the Lombardi trophy, he'd make the correct answer but the needle would be going bulls--t. These guys would sell their mothers into slavery for a chance at the trophy.

Very true.

80+ hour work weeks do not allow any time to be a parent.

I think Dungy's situation is not a part of this, but the other two clearly are. It is a wonder there is not more.

No, the worst are the fathers who tell their kids they have to move out if they want to ruin their lives and drop out of college. Especially the fathers who demand their kids brush their teeth. Any kid with a father like that should just kill himself, right BoomBoom?

Sacrifices are made in every household by the breadwinners. what is the right balance?

Perhaps Dungy should have chosen to flip burgers & spend more time with his son.

My brother took his own life many years ago. Our Dad was not a head coach or a ceo who spent all his time at work.

Exactly, Dungy didn't seem to miss his son yesterday..

Most parents would probably quit their job after that..(or at least if they were high profile with a lot of money)

You really need to STFU.

I can guarantee you that Dungy thinks about his son everyday. That is what parents do.

Why would you quit your job ? Is someone all of sudden going to start making your mortgage payments ?

The Bill collector doesn't care if you are Joe Schmo or Tony Dungy he wants his money.

Most parents would probably quit their job after that..(or at least if they were high profile with a lot of money)

Your a moron kid. Max im sorry I know theres no personal attacks here but. How the hell do you know if Tony Dungy was missing his son yesterday? He didn't miss his child because h didn't cry about it on tv? No, instead he thanked his lord and smiled. Granted im sure some father who are NFL coaches arn't great dads, but hell there's normal guys out there who arn't good dads.

Sacrifices are made in every household by the breadwinners. what is the right balance?

Perhaps Dungy should have chosen to flip burgers & spend more time with his son.

My brother took his own life many years ago. Our Dad was not a head coach or a ceo who spent all his time at work.

That's very sad to hear, joewilly.

I hope that no one in your family blames themselves for that tragedy. Ultimately, a person's decision to take their own life for whatever reason is their own terrible decision, and putting guilt on someone else for that is just wrong in my opinion.

I'm sorry to hear about that Joewilly, really am.

When I was little, my dad worked a ton of jobs, but always had time to spend with me.

He drove limo's, broke bottles at the dump, and racked spices..

Then he got a big break, and became a big shot executive and moved us out of our San Francisco home when I was about 8.

When I moved to the east coast, he was always traveling and he just wasn't the same person..

He never took the time to play catch with me anymore, he never came to any of my sports games...

Hell.. I remember one instance when I was in Cub Scouts and my whole troop had their fathers take them on a camping trip.. My dad wouldn't take me.. He had the time(weekend), but he had some work to do...

Money changes people....

Sure his new job got me a nicer house, a PS2, and a college education(yuck), but I did lose a father...

He traveled 4-5 days a week...

It was ridiculous..

He was a good father to my sister(who is 6 years older than me).. I almost envy her..

The saddest thing about making money, is that you think you are being a good parent by doing so..

It really is a bad feeling when you are at your baseball game, and you watch every father coming up to their kid afterwards and yours isn't there.

Are you a parent? My guess is no. Ever lost a child? My guess is no. So ont even TRY and think how a person who is a parent and who has lost a child should think or act.

Seriously, I am HOPING you are a flmaer because if this is really how you think you are a complete and total moron.

Look, I am sorry that your daddy had no time for you and dint prioritize properly...but thats your problem, not a universal one. yes, there are many parent sout there who work so hard they forget to be parents. But when the time comes and YOU are responsible for paying the mortgage and putting food on the table and putting kids through college...THEN you can pass judgement. And dont downplay your ftaher paying for your college pal...there are thousands of grads out there with 6 figure debt who would be very envious of you.

When I was little, my dad worked a ton of jobs, but always had time to spend with me.

Then he got a big break, and became a big shot executive and moved us out of our San Francisco home when I was about 8.

When I moved to the east coast, he was always traveling and he just wasn't the same person..

He never took the time to play catch with me anymore, he never came to any of my sports games...

Hell.. I remember one instance when I was in Cub Scouts and my whole troop had their fathers take them on a camping trip.. My dad wouldn't take me.. He had the time(weekend), but he had some work to do...

Money changes people....

Sure his new job got me a nicer house, a PS2, and a college education(yuck), but I did lose a father...

It was ridiculous..

He was a good father to my sister(who is 6 years older than me).. I almost envy her..

The saddest thing about making money, is that you think you are being a good parent by doing so..

It really is a bad feeling when you are at your baseball game, and you watch every father coming up to their kid afterwards and yours isn't there.

Let me tell you something. I had two Dads. And at times I swore they loved each other more than they loved me.

Having them both at my baseball games was embarassing. They couldn't keep their hands off each other. All I wanted was a Mom. But the courts said that wasn't "necessary".

Be careful what you wish for.

So you're saying he should take a job that he has to work all year long instead of one with an extended time off. I'm willing to bet he spends more time with his kid this way. And you're a scumbag for attempting to blame his sons death on him.

thanks jetcane & mangenius. it was 17 years ago & everythings cool. no need for any future condolences.

I think dungy's a stand up guy & to say he would choose coaching, superbowl rings or anything football over his son's death is ludicrous.

too few peoople are lucky enough to balance successful earning careers with family time.

Let's not bash Dungy for taking his career in football as far as he can. Aren't we all trying to get better in out careers?

Money changes people....

It was ridiculous..

Lies, all lies I tell ya...Cub Scouts don't play with PS2s! You may have the rest of this group fooled, but "no soup for you" with me pal!

Who's the new guy? I kinda like him, he gets y'all riled up does he not?

New guy, listen up: I am bastard child of a rape victim. Nough said, now stop crying on your typewriter and man up.

"My dad loves my sister more than me...wah!"

Of course he does, have you heard yourself? He did not come to your games b/c you were no good at baseball!

Sorry for your loss, JoeWillie.

It has to be a tough grind to be an NFL coach, and I suspect that some of what Bit says is true. These guys have big egos, or they wouldn't have these jobs. If they didn't and still loved coaching, they'd be coaching high school and working hard for about 5 months rather than 12. By getting to the top of the slag heap in their profession, something gets lost in the way of real family life. But as much as I've poormouthed DUngy's skills as a coach, I know as a father there probably isn't a moment in the day when his dead son isn't far from his thoughts. And he must ask himself 1000 times every hour what he could've done differently to prevent his suicide. And in that he has my full sympathy. One thing I'd strongly disagree with Bit about-Dungy would toss that Lombardi and his job in a heartbeat for his son. But that's not how things work.

I honestly can't believe there are people out there that would assume Tony Dungy would rather have a Lombardi trophy than his own flesh and blood. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I am a parent and I would never give my son up for ANYTHING in the world....EVER, and I honestly don't believe any normal person ever would.

One thing I'd strongly disagree with Bit about-Dungy would toss that Lombardi and his job in a heartbeat for his son. But that's not how things work.

bugg thats not what i said lets be fair

to reiterate

hook dungy up to a polygraph- he would say the right things but the needle would be going bullsh-t.

Yes he wants his son back, yeah he loves his kid, everyone loves their kids.

but let's be real - what does he really want more? what did he want more? does he even realize what is going on outside of the NFL world?

what if it wasn't dungy it was herman - what would people think is more important to Herm the Sperm? well let me break it down, these men, and all NFL HC aren't that different.

NFL head coach is a rare breed - 32 out of 6 billion at any given time... only half or less have any sort of security. It's a rare crop. It's a rare ego, as Bugg so rightly says.

not loving their kid as much as a ring? i wouldn't put it past any of them, despite what they say or even believe, their psyche and subconsciousnesses are all the same and the especially the MOST SUCCESSFUL HC are by and large tragic figures when it comes to their families.

my brutally honest, complete speculation on the whole thing?

That kid killed himself to send a message to get attention, and the message still hasn't really gotten there for Tony Dungy. Maybe one day when it's all said and done and the constant travelling is over, he will realize what went down and feel badly.

but let's be real this guy threw himself back into his work, wasn't all that different outwardly, i can't imagine he's all that far into the real grieving process either personally or with his family... i'd prefer to believe that than the alternative which is he's cold blooded.

I would never give my son up for ANYTHING in the world....EVER, and I honestly don't believe any normal person ever would.

again you are right normal people wouldn't do that

super bowl winning NFL head coaches are not normal

some would say they have a God complex

another fella who gave up his son for the greater good, so the story goes.

like it our not bellichick is good to his kids, i think the older one is headed to rutgers to play lacrose, and i constantly see them on the sidelines hugging him after a win.

i agree with that Belly does love his kids - their mother he treats like yesterdays garbage

maybe the kid was just depressed and messed up? Why assume it was because of his dad? Suicide is not an uncommon thing, unless the kid left a note and said so, why assume it was cause of his dad?

Because there are people out there who live to place blame on others for the independent acts of other actors. I call bullsh1t on them.

Tony Dungy voices the pain & lessons from his son

again you are right normal people wouldn't do that

super bowl winning NFL head coaches are not normal

some would say they have a God complex

another fella who gave up his son for the greater good, so the story goes.

Still think that any parent would have their son back thana trophy. But if you're saying he wouldn't necessarily really think that in his heart of hearts, I'd still like to think he would.

I still think you're onto something here. The job, the ego and the sacrificies in time and energy costs you something, and family is going to get shortchanged. It has to warp thesese coaches a little bit no matter how good a person they start out.

should dads spend time with their kids? of course. my dad was my little league coach every year and look at how great i turned out!

seriously, if you don't get enough quality time with your dad how about calling him up and talking to him instead of venting to a message board. no one's perfect, maybe he just needs a reminder every once in awhile. quit blaming others for your own issues. and let me tell you something else, if your terrible dental hygiene and dropping out of school is a "cry for attention" from your old man consider this: you're only punishing yourself and making yourself dependant on others to pay your bills and chew your food for you when you're older. if you're dad really is a bastard (100 to 1 you're over-reacting like a melodramatic little kid) then the best way to "teach him a lesson" is to succeed in spite of his sh!tty parenting.

Archived