JETS land Thomas Jones from Bears (MERGED 4x)

Sir Speez

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Many 30 year old RBs retire in the NFL or are no longer useful.

Nobody really is saying Jones won't have an impact next season, but some great RBs like Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and so on retired at 30. Robert Smith retired around 28. Tiki Barber is retiring at what, 32. Curtis Martin has been useless due to injury that last two seasons and he's only 33 now.

RBs are what they are. They are the workhorses of the NFL and by the time they hit 30, they usually don't have much gas left in them. Maybe a year or two, maybe you get somebody who is special and lucky, but the reality is, I don't understand the move.

People didn't want a defensive player who was 28 years old because he was too old and not worth the money, yet you are happy with a 29 year old Running back who will probably want a contract extesion and big bucks. And not to mention anytime you have an agent like he does, it's never a "team player" kind of thing.

It's a confusing deal to me.

I think you are putting way to much emphasis on his age. The Pats picked up 30 year old Corey Dillon in 2004 and he proceeded to rush for 1600+ yards.

At that point in his career Dillon had already racked up over 1800+ carries. That is a hell of a lot more than Jones has had.

37th pick for the 63rd pick can be a huge difference between a starter and a role player in the NFL. It might not, but in many cases the 37th pick is almost like a first round pick. the 67th pick is almost like a third round pick.

The jets are getting the 63rd pick, not getting the 37th so I dont get the math.

Yeah they get Thomas Jones, so that's good. But i will wait and see. If in the next month or so there is some kind of deal for 4 or 5 years, then I will start to think this FO has no clue about RBs.

If I'm not mistaking the Jets are getting the 63 pick. The points difference between the two picks is equivelent to giving a low third rounder for Jones. But the Jets really aren't giving up anything since they got the pick for trading down last year. So as Max said it was house money. You are right we will need to see the contract. But the key will be the structure of the deal as a whole and not the number of years. It can be a 10 year contract - but if it is structured so the Jets can get out of it relatively easy after 3 or 4 years and the upfront money isn't too much than the deal is a good one.

Thomas JOnes isn't a roger clemmons or greg maddux.

Yeah it happens all the time, but after what happened with a HOF RB in Curtis Martin, the team should have learned.

Like I said, nothing against this deal, but my major concern is with his contract. Thomas Jones has an agent who demands big money and big contracts. So far the Jets have done great in that department and should continue to do so. But if it comes back they sign him to a 4-5 year big money deal, it's not really worth it.

Edge was supposed to be a great signing for Arizona, while he came on better late, he wasn't worth the big money. Thomas Jones isn't edge. If he gains 1000 yards next season, that's great, I just don't see how this move improves them that much.

He is not a guy who likes to share the load. That is why he wanted out of Chicago. If they sign Jones for 4-5 years, either Leon Washington won't play much next year or they plan on trading him. Regardless, this deal confuses me more than it excites me.

Thomas JOnes isn't a roger clemmons or greg maddux.

Yeah it happens all the time, but after what happened with a HOF RB in Curtis Martin, the team should have learned.

herm edwards happened. He ran him way to much and let him play hurt way to much. With a smarter coach martin would be working on his 12th or 13th 1000 yard season.

The Pats already won two super bowls at that point.

Like I said, i will wait and see what the contract is, but with his agent, I am concerned.

With Antowain Smith as the starting RB.

If you look up the definition of JAG he is your man.

Many 30 year old RBs retire in the NFL or are no longer useful.

Nobody really is saying Jones won't have an impact next season, but some great RBs like Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and so on retired at 30. Robert Smith retired around 28. Tiki Barber is retiring at what, 32. Curtis Martin has been useless due to injury that last two seasons and he's only 33 now.

RBs are what they are. They are the workhorses of the NFL and by the time they hit 30, they usually don't have much gas left in them. Maybe a year or two, maybe you get somebody who is special and lucky, but the reality is, I don't understand the move.

People didn't want a defensive player who was 28 years old because he was too old and not worth the money, yet you are happy with a 29 year old Running back who will probably want a contract extesion and big bucks. And not to mention anytime you have an agent like he does, it's never a "team player" kind of thing.

It's a confusing deal to me.

Priest Holmes

age 30

yards 1444

TD's 27

Its not the age, its how many carries they've had over their career.

Priest Holmes

age 30

yards 1444

TD's 27

Its not the age, its how many carries they've had over their career.

And if it wasn't for a freak neck injury he moght still be going.

Well, until Herm got there anyway.

Gainzo, Do you think this is a good move for the Jets? Sorry if I missed your comments.

I do. I think Jones will bring consistency to the RB position for at least 2 or 3 seasons.

I never believed the rumours about the Jets trading up in the draft to grab Peterson so I always thought the Jets would sign a RB.

Solid move by the Jets.

Jones has only had one season with over 300 carries.

We freakin swapped 2nd round picks for a solid quality runner. Too many people around here are getting way too wrapped up in cap numbers and number crunching. Jones just upgraded the product the Jets will be putting on the field in 2007, which is what matters most.

Wow! I didn't see this one coming. I'm very happy with this move. He's not a spring chicken no more, but he's a solid RB, who should be good for the next 2 or 3 years. We didn't give up too much. We basically swapped an early 2nd rounder for a later one. Good move by the Jets.

Thomas Jones is NOTHING special. Giving up our high 2nd for him is a complete and utter TRAVISTY. How is a back who has 1300 carries on his back and is 30 friggen years old worth a friggin 2nd round pick? This FO is offically a joke.

Hey numnuts, we also got their 2nd round pick.

The key is re-signing Jones so he's not a one and done type deal. He's 28 years old, will be 29 in Mid August and as some have said, he doesn't have the typical wear and tear that most 28/29 year old backs have. Only recently has he started carrying the ball 300 times in a season and even that's only been for 2 seasons (the last 2 being those 2 seasons). His contract expires after this season so re-signing him through 2010 or 2011 would be ideal.

I like the deal..we traded down,picked up a proven starting running back and lost no draft picks..how can anybody not be happy with this.

I agree with you alot. We just went down 26 spots I belive. Its not that bad, especially when u get a RB who started in a superbowl and was a big part of the Bears.

If everyone is THIS high on Thomas Jones, why weren't there 8,000 "WE MUST GET THOMAS JONES" threads this offseason? Christ, some of you are comparing the dude to Priest Holmes, which was, pretty much, a once in a generation thing. It's a terrible comparison anyway. When Holmes went to KC, he was 28 (a year younger), was entering his 5th NFL season (Jones will be entering his 8th) and had 459 career carries (a mere 890 less than Jones). If Jones is Priest Holmes, then Kellen Clemens is Tom Brady.

He's an average to slightly above average starting running back. He isn't a bruiser. He's more like Leon than he is Cedric Benson. And, I feel like we needed a bruiser to pair with Washington. I mean, the guy barely averaged over 4 YPC last season playing with a great offensive line, a QB that can stretch the defense, and against weaker NFC opponents. So, you think he's going to come to the AFC and be great, something he has never been in his career?

We overpaid for a stop-gap. If we were going to do that, we could have just signed someone else and kept the high second.

If everyone is THIS high on Thomas Jones, why weren't there 8,000 "WE MUST GET THOMAS JONES" threads this offseason? Christ, some of you are comparing the dude to Priest Holmes, which was, pretty much, a once in a generation thing. It's a terrible comparison anyway. When Holmes went to KC, he was 28 (a year younger), was entering his 5th NFL season (Jones will be entering his 8th) and had 459 career carries (a mere 890 less than Jones). If Jones is Priest Holmes, then Kellen Clemens is Tom Brady.

He's an average to slightly above average starting running back. He isn't a bruiser. He's more like Leon than he is Cedric Benson. And, I feel like we needed a bruiser to pair with Washington. I mean, the guy barely averaged over 4 YPC last season playing with a great offensive line, a QB that can stretch the defense, and against weaker NFC opponents. So, you think he's going to come to the AFC and be great, something he has never been in his career?

We overpaid for a stop-gap. If we were going to do that, we could have just signed someone else and kept the high second.

I'm not cheerleading this move at all because i've said i'm on the fence about this but there really were no other good options. Lamont was signed. Henry was signed. And i'm not prepared to punt the season with a POS like Duckett or Brown. Lets see Mangini and Tannenbaum prove their worth and draft good players with the 2 late 2nd round picks.

Who should the Jets have gotten?

And at what cost?

THere were very few people demanding Thomas Jones become a jet. I remember people wishing they'd trade for Turner in SD. But Thomas Jones, very few people ever brought his name up as a RB they wanted.

But now since the trade was made, everybody thinks he's some kind of HOF RB...

The guy has had 2 nice years, nothing great. Remember Priest Holmes rushed for over 1000 yards while in Baltimore. Jones went to Tampa and stunk. He stunk in Arizona. He's had a couple nice seasons in Chicago, but that offense isn't that great and all he does is demand to play, bemoan not playing, bemoan no respect, and then put up ok numbers, but 1200 and 1300 yard seasons are nothing special.

When there are many RBs rushing for over 1600 and 1700 yards with 20+ TDS now, I don't think you can call a guy a beast who scores 6 rushing TDs and 0 receiving TDs in todays NFL.

Who should the Jets have gotten?

And at what cost?

There are plenty of stop-gaps out there that wouldn't have cost a high second round pick.

IF the Jets resign Jones, which it appears they will do, wouldn't we have been better off just signing Jamal Lewis or Travis Henry to a similar contract and keeping the pick?

Archived