JETS land Thomas Jones from Bears (MERGED 4x)

Sir Speez

Source: Jets acquire RB Thomas Jones817-grey.gifstories;arena=nfl;feat=stories;type=psa;team=NYJ;user=Named;ct=USA;st=NJ;ac=973;gend=M;age=D;cust=no;vip=no;sz=150x30;tile=5;ord=530931173144102?

NFL.com wire reports

send-over.gif

CHICAGO (March 5, 2007) -- The Chicago Bears reached a preliminary agreement to trade running back Thomas Jones to the New York Jets for a second-round draft pick.

A person familiar with the trade told The Associated Press the Jets will give up a second-round draft pick, 37th overall, for Jones, who rushed for 1,210 yards and six touchdowns in helping the Bears make the Super Bowl. The person did not wish to be identified because the trade has not been officially announced.

The 28-year-old Jones must pass a physical before the deal is complete. The Jets also would receive Chicago's second-round choice, No. 63 overall, in the trade. New York would surrender the second-rounder it received from Washington in a previous deal.

The Jets have been looking for a No. 1 running back since Curtis Martin was sidelined a year ago by knee problems. Martin is expected to retire. ::GoJets::yahoo::1st::pats:

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you really serious about calling 2007 a rebuilding year???

If this is a rebuilding year then in 2006 we must have been an expansion team!

So you think this team is good enough to win the superbowl?

I'll help you out on this. They arent! Pennington will never win us a SB, and even if we replace him with Clemens early on this year, Clemens cant win his 1st year starting.

This is a 7-9 team, hate to burst (almost) everyones bubbles. The Jets werent very good last year, despite their 10-6 record & playoff appearance.

The defense is a joke and we have no QB good enough to win us a SB in 2007.

I just hope we don't break the bank on him. He's clearly looking for a last payday & I'm sure we worked that out with him before the trade went through. He turns 29 in mid-August. Not exactly a youngster. Used in combo with Leon he may last a bit longer than a typical RB does.

We'll see. He's certainly coming out on 3rd downs. 4.3 yards per reception is pitiful. Actually I've never seen an average that low ever. Leon averaged that on HANDOFFS behind four bad run-blockers, a bad blocking fullback, and a mediocre (at best) blocking TE. And that's Jones' average on RECEPTIONS?

I really hope this works out. 4.1ypc behind a good OL, with (despite his shortcomings) a QB who can legitimately stretch the field, and playing in the pathetic NFC. He had six 100-yard games last year (98-99 yds is the same to me). 5 of those 6 were against us, the Giants, San Fran, Seattle and Buffalo. Not exactly the who's who of run defenses. He did have a decent (though hardly stellar) game against New England.

He had two big tests against a truly dominant run defense (played against Minnesota twice) and had 3.0 and 2.67 ypc in those two outings.

Hope we get Blalock and Colombo b/c we're going to need them.

green03, I agree. Had we given up our first second for Jones that would have been horrible. I think Spermy figured out the values. It was like trading a third round for Jones. What other running back that we could have landed would you want for a third round pick. And don't say Turner, Chargers weren't letting him go for anything less then our first. Not to mention he will be a fa next year if jones doesn't work out.

i heard that we GAVE a (1) second round pick and we GOT T.J. and the 80something pick from them...I think it's a good trade...love Leon but we need stability back there, and our O-Line has just starting gelling

It was the 63rd I think. Great trade in my opinion.

staying in denial wont make the jets competitors. we are rebuilding no matter which way you look at it. we have a new regime and a shake up of our FO. thats rebuilding

A new regime and a shake up of our FO????

You do know this is 2007?? I thought that happened last year!

I just hope we don't break the bank on him. He's clearly looking for a last payday & I'm sure we worked that out with him before the trade went through. He turns 29 in mid-August. Not exactly a youngster. Used in combo with Leon he may last a bit longer than a typical RB does.

We'll see. He's certainly coming out on 3rd downs. 4.3 yards per reception is pitiful. Actually I've never seen an average that low ever. Leon averaged that on HANDOFFS behind four bad run-blockers, a bad blocking fullback, and a mediocre (at best) blocking TE. And that's Jones' average on RECEPTIONS?

I really hope this works out. 4.1ypc behind a good OL, with (despite his shortcomings) a QB who can legitimately stretch the field, and playing in the pathetic NFC. He had six 100-yard games last year (98-99 yds is the same to me). 5 of those 6 were against us, the Giants, San Fran, Seattle and Buffalo. Not exactly the who's who of run defenses. He did have a decent (though hardly stellar) game against New England.

He had two big tests against a truly dominant run defense (played against Minnesota twice) and had 3.0 and 2.67 ypc in those two outings.

Hope we get Blalock and Colombo b/c we're going to need them.

Bears V Vikes is a horrible match up to base a comparison. Rex won't be able to throw on winfield and smoot, so they had to challenge the #1 rush defense in the NFL...chad (despite his faults) will open the field up more than rex could. At least to the point the opposing D won't KNOW we are running.

I didn't want them to do something just for the sake of doing something and i'm VERY MUCH on the fence about this deal.

I'll call Eric M. and let him know. He'll be a lot tougher in the contract discussions knowing your feelings.

This is great news. Jones is a powerful runner but a little short of the linebuster it would have been nice to get. A great locker room/team guy too. He had around 450 receiving yards in 04 as well. This should take care of the running game for the short haul.

green03, I agree. Had we given up our first second for Jones that would have been horrible. I think Spermy figured out the values. It was like trading a third round for Jones. What other running back that we could have landed would you want for a third round pick. And don't say Turner, Chargers weren't letting him go for anything less then our first. Not to mention he will be a fa next year if jones doesn't work out.

Yea true, the value is similar to giving up a high 3rd rounder. If you look at it that way its a steal, but taking all things into account its a good trade. Yea I hope no one even mentions Turner cause he wasn't going for anything less than 37 and a 2nd day pick or maybe even our 1st rounder straight up.

Another thing, those talking about the Bears' line should also take into acount that the majority of Jones' career there he was consistantly seeing 8 or 9 in the box. Teams stacked the line against him and dared Rex to throw and he still produced. Yes, Rex could stretch the field but the #1 priority opposing defenses had was stopping the Bears' running game. He'll be in a much more balanced situation here since, even though Chad isn't a real threat to go deep, teams must respect our passing game.

As long as the contract isn't stupid I'll continue to praise them for this one. I'm sure it won't be something rediculous I have faith that Tannenbaum has a good deal in place.

Yea true, the value is similar to giving up a high 3rd rounder. If you look at it that way its a steal, but taking all things into account its a good trade. Yea I hope no one even mentions Turner cause he wasn't going for anything less than 37 and a 2nd day pick or maybe even our 1st rounder straight up.

Another thing, those talking about the Bears' line should also take into acount that the majority of Jones' career there he was consistantly seeing 8 or 9 in the box. Teams stacked the line against him and dared Rex to throw and he still produced. Yes, Rex could stretch the field but the #1 priority opposing defenses had was stopping the Bears' running game. He'll be in a much more balanced situation here since, even though Chad isn't a real threat to go deep, teams must respect our passing game.

As long as the contract isn't stupid I'll continue to praise them for this one. I'm sure it won't be something rediculous I have faith that Tannenbaum has a good deal in place.

What the hell - what Jets have you been watching? No defense respects our passing game.

Jones will continue to face 8+ men in the box as long as Pennington is our QB.

So you think this team is good enough to win the superbowl?

I'll help you out on this. They arent! Pennington will never win us a SB, and even if we replace him with Clemens early on this year, Clemens cant win his 1st year starting.

This is a 7-9 team, hate to burst (almost) everyones bubbles. The Jets werent very good last year, despite their 10-6 record & playoff appearance.

The defense is a joke and we have no QB good enough to win us a SB in 2007.

How did you convert what I said into us being good enough to win the superbowl??

I questioned your comment on us being in a rebuilding year.

Please do not try to help me out. If any of us believed yours and Mad Mikes

ravings we would become fans of another team.

Absolutely. Hopefully in his tenure with the Jets, T. Jones will get a chance to run the football with >8/box.

How did you convert what I said into us being good enough to win the superbowl??

I questioned your comment on us being in a rebuilding year.

Please do not try to help me out. If any of us believed yours and Mad Mikes

ravings we would become fans of another team.

When you are far off from a SB caliber team, you have to rebuild. The Jets are far off.......

Jones might make a good backup RB by the time the Jets are ready to make a run in 2009 and beyond, so this might not be a useless trade.

What the hell - what Jets have you been watching? No defense respects our passing game.

First off, they have to respect it a lot more than they did with the Bears, considering their QB. Rex Grossman is not as good as Pennington and, also, our receivers are better than the Bears'.

I really don't feel like defending Pennington and I'm not going to get into a Chad bashing debate cause I'm really hoping Clemens gets a shot next year, but I really hope you don't think more highly of Rex Grossman as a QB.

Are you telling me that teams feared our running game more than our passing game last season??

Age? 29 is old for a RB.

Attitude? Damanded out, refused to split carries, wants big money.

Agent? Rosenhaus. Nuff said.

Abuse? Goes with age, but almost 600 carries the last two seasons, durable or worn down?

I suppose we didn't give up that much (and it's all bonus given that it's the Skins pick we traded anywhoo), but this isn't a long-term answer at RB, and may not be much of an answer at all, even short-term.

I don't know...

First off, they have to respect it a lot more than they did with the Bears, considering their QB. Rex Grossman is not as good as Pennington and, also, our receivers are better than the Bears'.

I really don't feel like defending Pennington and I'm not going to get into a Chad bashing debate cause I'm hoping Clemens gets a shot next year, but I really hope you don't think more highly of Rex Grossman as a QB.

Are you telling me that teams feared our running game more than our passing game last season??

Rex Grossman stretches the field more often and with more success than Chad Pennington.

Please, lets not all sit here and act like Chad had such a good season. He was below average.

Pennington: 17 TDs, 16 INTs

Grossman: 23 TDs, 20 INTs

To just sum up my point: Jones will be facing more 8+ men in the box defenses than he did last year if Pennington starts all 16 games.

Age? 29 is old for a RB.

Attitude? Damanded out, refused to split carries, wants big money.

Agent? Rosenhaus. Nuff said.

Abuse? Goes with age, but almost 600 carries the last two seasons, durable or worn down?

I suppose we didn't give up that much (and it's all bonus given that it's the Skins pick we traded anywhoo), but this isn't a long-term answer at RB, and may not be much of an answer at all, even short-term.

I don't know...

Thats pretty much exactly how I feel - though Jones is a good attitude guy from what I hear.

I've said my 2 cents. I'm done with this until I hear the contract details......

Bears | T. Jones traded

Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:01:55 -0800

Michael Smith, of ESPN.com, reports the Chicago Bears have traded RB Thomas Jones and the 63rd overall selection in the 2007 draft to the New York Jets for the 37th overall selection in the 2007 draft.

hot_sign.jpgJets | T. Jones acquired

Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:59:32 -0800

Michael Smith, of ESPN.com, reports the New York Jets have acquired RB Thomas Jones and the 63rd overall selection in the 2007 draft from the Chicago Bears for the 37th overall selection in the 2007 draft.

After reading through all this, it is clear that not everyone is satisfied with this trade.

Immediately, people are crying that we not overpay him. He will get some big coin, but not nearly as much as a Clements would demand.

I don't think age is really an issue here, either. as long as he is under 30, we can get 4 good years out of him.

Best part of this deal is we really didn't give up much to get him. As much as getting Adrian Peterson was the sexy move to make, it would have cost us half of the draft and double the money. I like this move. Now we can use our first two picks to continue to revamp the lines.

It's a nice pickup. They gave up their early second round pick for a late second round pick and also picked up Jones. Lets hope their isn't any hidden 4 or 5 year bonues and signing deal to go along with this in the near future.

Jones is an avg RB. He wasn't that good in Arizona and he's had some decent seasons in Chicago. But lets not forget Chicago has won due to defense the last couple of years, not because of their offense. If he gains 1000 yards rushing next season, that's great.

But what happens to Leon Washington and/or the use of Brad Smith now?

Jones didn't like the fact he was second banana to Benson in Chicago. He didn't like the fact that Benson was considered the RB of the future, even before showing anything.

The problem I have with this deal is people were basically bashing the Pats signing of a 28 year old defensive player, a player many thought was good, but too old for what the Jets are trying to build. Yet now people are cheering for trading a high second round draft pick for a 29 year old RB.

29 year old Running backs who have played as much as Jones has played, a RB who is an avg back, isn't exactly that great a deal.

It's nice, but again, it's confusing. If they are building for the future, bringing in Jones is really pointless. He might improve the rushing attack a little next year or the year after, but he's not a game breaker, he's not one of the top backs in the league, he is not gonna make them go from a 10-6 team into a 11-5 or 12-4 team. So for me, this trade really doesn't make that much sense in the grand scheme of things. It really is a bad deal if it comes back that they also agreed to sign him for like 4 or 5 years.

After reading through all this, it is clear that not everyone is satisfied with this trade.

Immediately, people are crying that we not overpay him. He will get some big coin, but not nearly as much as a Clements would demand.

I don't think age is really an issue here, either. as long as he is under 30, we can get 4 good years out of him.

Best part of this deal is we really didn't give up much to get him. As much as getting Adrian Peterson was the sexy move to make, it would have cost us half of the draft and double the money. I like this move. Now we can use our first two picks to continue to revamp the lines.

Agree, and...

fwiw

the fins fans on the Canes board hate the trade b/c they think it was a good one for the Jets.

I didn't read this whole thread. So if I am wrong please correct me:

-The Jets traded the Skins 2nd rounder for Thomas Jones

-The Jets got the Bears 2nd rounder in return

-So for moving down 30 spots in round 2, the Jets get a guy that will help them for the next few seasons

-The Jets still have their 1st and 2nd rounders

Is this correct? If so, what's not to love? The Jets were playing with house money with that Washington pick.

-So for moving down 30 spots in round 2, the Jets get a guy that will help them for the next few seasons

Is this correct? If so, what's not to love? The Jets were playing with house money with that Washington pick.

There was a Farmer who had a dog and BINGO was his name-o!

Jets basically gave up the equivalent of a high 3rd round pick for Jones.

Many 30 year old RBs retire in the NFL or are no longer useful.

Nobody really is saying Jones won't have an impact next season, but some great RBs like Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and so on retired at 30. Robert Smith retired around 28. Tiki Barber is retiring at what, 32. Curtis Martin has been useless due to injury that last two seasons and he's only 33 now.

RBs are what they are. They are the workhorses of the NFL and by the time they hit 30, they usually don't have much gas left in them. Maybe a year or two, maybe you get somebody who is special and lucky, but the reality is, I don't understand the move.

People didn't want a defensive player who was 28 years old because he was too old and not worth the money, yet you are happy with a 29 year old Running back who will probably want a contract extesion and big bucks. And not to mention anytime you have an agent like he does, it's never a "team player" kind of thing.

It's a confusing deal to me.

Many 30 year old RBs retire in the NFL or are no longer useful.

Nobody really is saying Jones won't have an impact next season, but some great RBs like Jim Brown, Barry Sanders and so on retired at 30. Robert Smith retired around 28. Tiki Barber is retiring at what, 32. Curtis Martin has been useless due to injury that last two seasons and he's only 33 now.

RBs are what they are. They are the workhorses of the NFL and by the time they hit 30, they usually don't have much gas left in them. Maybe a year or two, maybe you get somebody who is special and lucky, but the reality is, I don't understand the move.

People didn't want a defensive player who was 28 years old because he was too old and not worth the money, yet you are happy with a 29 year old Running back who will probably want a contract extesion and big bucks. And not to mention anytime you have an agent like he does, it's never a "team player" kind of thing.

It's a confusing deal to me.

T Jones will be 29 next season.

A Thomas will be 30 and we already have younger players who play his position and play it better.

37th pick for the 63rd pick can be a huge difference between a starter and a role player in the NFL. It might not, but in many cases the 37th pick is almost like a first round pick. the 67th pick is almost like a third round pick.

The jets are getting the 63rd pick, not getting the 37th so I dont get the math.

Yeah they get Thomas Jones, so that's good. But i will wait and see. If in the next month or so there is some kind of deal for 4 or 5 years, then I will start to think this FO has no clue about RBs.

Archived