another new footbal league?

joebabyny

Good Read! Thanks for the post! The question is whether any one other than the cities that get the franchises would care about watching the games. Furthermore, trying to go head up with the NFL as large as it is now is a daunting task to say the least. I think while using the Lamar Hunt model they would be better off considering playing spring ball like the USFL.

Yes

My dad was the biggest Generals fan there was...awesome time-passer between Jet seasons

I must be older than you because I watched the USFL Games. Hershel Walker, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, they had some pretty good names. The quality of play was not bad either, It was much better than the XFL, but then again that is not saying much...

I must be older than you because I watched the USFL Games. Hershel Walker, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, they had some pretty good names. The quality of play was not bad either, It was much better than the XFL, but then again that is not saying much...

Don't forget Reggie White. The USFL was a legit league. It's not fair to compare it to the XFL. IIRC, they'd still be around if the court had given them the damages they deserved or ruled quickly enough. Flutie. Brian Sipes. Jet fans should remember #47 Jerry Holmes.

Don't forget Reggie White. The USFL was a legit league. It's not fair to compare it to the XFL. IIRC, they'd still be around if the court had given them the damages they deserved or ruled quickly enough. Flutie. Brian Sipes. Jet fans should remember #47 Jerry Holmes.

Doug Williams, Sean Landeta, Sam Mills, Anthony Carter... lot of quality players

Coaches too... Marv Levy, Dom Capers, Jim Fassel...

It's not gonna work, any more than the USFL or the XFL. And it's not going to work because TV-Fox, TNT, ABC/ESPN, CBS, NBC-all have relationships with the NFL they do not want to jeopardize. Plus the 20 players that get cut are already in the NFL-owned AFL, the NFL-owned World League, or the NFL-friendly CFL. As to coaches, no coach with his eye on an NFL job wants to get blackballed, whcih is what will happen. Now, you could say all those things are bad, and not right.And you'd be right. The USFL won their lawsuit-and a whopping $3. And that was long after they folded.

No good stadiums or cities, no major TV equals no new football league. If he wants to throw him money away, he has company already from rich guys who lost out to the NFL-Donald Trump and Vince McMahon.

It's not gonna work, any more than the USFL or the XFL. And it's not going to work because TV-Fox, TNT, ABC/ESPN, CBS, NBC-all have relationships with the NFL they do not want to jeopardize. Plus the 20 players that get cut are already in the NFL-owned AFL, the NFL-owned World League, or the NFL-friendly CFL. As to coaches, no coach with his eye on an NFL job wants to get blackballed, whcih is what will happen. Now, you could say all those things are bad, and not right.And you'd be right. The USFL won their lawsuit-and a whopping $3. And that was long after they folded.

No good stadiums or cities, no major TV equals no new football league. If he wants to throw him money away, he has company already from rich guys who lost out to the NFL-Donald Trump and Vince McMahon.

Hey, I'd follow it.

Only way I can follow a team is if they are local and each of their games are on TV every week.

That's why I can't watch College Football, because they can't guarantee that each of their games will be on TV every week.

Are you fools kidding?? UFL is a joke. Any league that goes up against the NFL will crash and burn. There is only ONE football league and that is the NFL. You know that, your children know that, your future children know that, your parents know that, god knows that, and I know that.

What in the world makes you think you will watch the UFL?? Do you watch the European football League?? Yeah, probably for a few minutes if it's on. The UFL pullllllleeeease........phewy!

Are you fools kidding?? UFL is a joke. Any league that goes up against the NFL will crash and burn. There is only ONE football league and that is the NFL. You know that, your children know that, your future children know that, your parents know that, god knows that, and I know that.

What in the world makes you think you will watch the UFL?? Do you watch the European football League?? Yeah, probably for a few minutes if it's on. The UFL pullllllleeeease........phewy!

any UFL team > Dolphins

Maybe you can watch Ricky play for the UFL

any organization that challenges a monopoly is by definition a great thing. Chances of success aren't great but remember what the guy said in the NYT article - it takes about 800 million dollars to get an expansion team or buy an existing franchise, a UFL owner could buy his team for 30 mil, run the team at a loss for 10 years and not even approach a quarter of that 800 million dollar figure.

I thought we got all of oktaren's accounts?

any organization that challenges a monopoly is by definition a great thing. Chances of success aren't great but remember what the guy said in the NYT article - it takes about 800 million dollars to get an expansion team or buy an existing franchise, a UFL owner could buy his team for 30 mil, run the team at a loss for 10 years and not even approach a quarter of that 800 million dollar figure.

I wonder if Trump will be the market for a team again...

Yeah, i think if they go at it right, line up owners with deep pockets that understand it is an investment and can sustain the losses for a while, it will have a shot. If they can be competitive with new players coming out of school by being able to pay the second rounders 30-40 percent more then the nfl, you will see a lot of players consider it. Keep in mind, a lot of players here just go for the cash, and with the nature of football being such a physically violent sport with no guaranteed money outside of signing bonuses, I can understand them to a degree. Making the teams public owned is a unique spin as well, look at greenbay's fan participation, and those fans who own stock won't make a dollar on their investment. Doing that will give them an immediate at least somewhat loyal fanbase. If they can market it right, some of the feeling of real exciting football, they can carve a niche. XFL was too much sizzle with no steak.

It is a long shot, but if they can pay players enough so that 2nd and 3rd round pics will be swayed, they might be able to make something happen.

Yeah, i think if they go at it right, line up owners with deep pockets that understand it is an investment and can sustain the losses for a while, it will have a shot. If they can be competitive with new players coming out of school by being able to pay the second rounders 30-40 percent more then the nfl, you will see a lot of players consider it. Keep in mind, a lot of players here just go for the cash, and with the nature of football being such a physically violent sport with no guaranteed money outside of signing bonuses, I can understand them to a degree. Making the teams public owned is a unique spin as well, look at greenbay's fan participation, and those fans who own stock won't make a dollar on their investment. Doing that will give them an immediate at least somewhat loyal fanbase. If they can market it right, some of the feeling of real exciting football, they can carve a niche. XFL was too much sizzle with no steak.

It is a long shot, but if they can pay players enough so that 2nd and 3rd round pics will be swayed, they might be able to make something happen.

What they really need is one FILTHY rich owner to offer a would be top 5 pick an INSANE amount of money....

That would open the flood gates...

I was a season ticket holder for the Generals in 1985 and I think that league should have worked.

Their biggest mistake was two fold.

1) They expanded too fast after their first season in 83

2) going against the NFL and filing that lawsuit. When they announced that they were going to move to the fall in 86 I knew they were dead.

Look at the names of some the guys that played in the USFL

Steve Young

Herschel Walker

Doug Flutie

Reggie White

Gary Anderson

Mike Rozier

Gary Zimmerman

Doug Williams

Those are just some I can name of the the top of my head. Think about it for a minute. This country is more football crazy now then ever. The USFL would have thrived playing in the spring and summer now.

You had teams in Memphis, Jacksonville, Baltimore after the Colts left. All areas that now have NFL teams.

The USFL was a fun league that got run into the ground by Trump.

Competition is a good thing.

not always. I mean I don't see a point or a need for more football, I love football the way it is. I wouldn't watch another league, there is no way it could put out a better product than the NFL, no way it competes with the super bowl.

not always. I mean I don't see a point or a need for more football, I love football the way it is. I wouldn't watch another league, there is no way it could put out a better product than the NFL, no way it competes with the super bowl.

This is what people said about the AFL...

And look how long it took the Super Bowl to get that way.

You don't have to go up against the NFL. Do it in the spring like the USFL did.

Especially now. Two full days of draft coverage. you have the NFL network broadcasting everything from Combines to NFL Europe. This is a football crazed country. Maybe you wouldn't watch it but I would bet you alot of other people would.

The AFL wasn't a joke. If those pussies hadn't merged and had let Al Davis have his way the AFL would have destroyed the NFL.

Yes Reggie White as well. I was not necessarily comparing it to the XFL for quality of play purposes more so than it (the XFL) was the last attempt to compete with the NFL. I must say I am not sure I agree with you about the (USFL) still being around but for the court case, but they gave the NFL a run for their money, and you can not knock that.

The USFL came along at a time when there was alot of labor strife between the players and the owners. The players struck in 1982 unsuccessfully so when the USFL came along in 83 a number of players jumped leagues. It was really the beginning of any kind of free agency.

Now would a new league be able to do that ? Right now probably not but make no doubt that a new league would make some of the small market owners nervous.

Like someone earlier said, it would need to be a league with owners with deep pockets who are willing to take their lumps for awhile while it goes through its growing pains.

The AFL wasn't a joke. If those pussies hadn't merged and had let Al Davis have his way the AFL would have destroyed the NFL.

You are right the AFL was not a joke, however I think merging worked for everybody. It made all of the owners richer and at the end of the day it is about making money. They were not going to drive the NFL out of business and the most they could gain would be a merger where all of their teams are included, Which is what they got in the end. All-in- all it may have been the sports business at it best including outcome.

Archived