It Never Ceases to Bring a Smile to my Face

SouthernJet

Say what you wanna say about Herm while he was the coach of the Jets but he always had his team and players in a good mood... What player actually made it public that he wanted out of NY other than L.Jordan?

Herm Edwars teams were usually always one of the best in terms of winning the turnover battle, also we really never maded alot of mistakes as far as penalties go.

I'm not saying he was a great coach as far as X's and O's go, but he did have his players playing at a high level.

But as a fan of the Jets it was really time to move in a different dirrection and as of now Im really glad we got stuck with Mangini because he has this team moving in the right direction.

Something that Herm would say... "If the team aint moving in the right direction, well then I guess we aint moving"

Say what you wanna say about Herm while he was the coach of the Jets but he always had his team and players in a good mood... What player actually made it public that he wanted out of NY other than L.Jordan?

Herm Edwars teams were usually always one of the best in terms of winning the turnover battle, also we really never maded alot of mistakes as far as penalties go.

I'm not saying he was a great coach as far as X's and O's go, but he did have his players playing at a high level.

"

:confused:

1000 lashes

But as a fan of the Jets it was really time to move in a different dirrection and as of now Im really glad we got stuck with Mangini because he has this team moving in the right direction.

Something that Herm would say... "If the team aint moving in the right direction, well then I guess we aint moving"

to summarize: "herm is a combination of a house of cards & smoke & mirrors"

:confused:

1000 lashes

to summarize: "herm is a combination of a house of cards & smoke & mirrors"

This could symolize the end of humanity, but here goes.

He was horrible at game management, he only played verterans, he played favorites, he inherited a good team, he had very poor play calling.

But...he still made the playoffs where some coaches, with the same team, would not have. He still had a defense that ranked pretty well, and generated good QB pressures.

I don't like him, i'm glad he's gone, but he is better than say...butch davis, or dave wansedt (spelling? god i'm dumb...)

that's my two cents.

Herm may not have played alot of rookies... But I believe that Herm keeping J.Cotchery in the dog-house has made Cotch the player he is today. HUNGRY and MOTIVATED. Being on the bench after being a star athlete while playing in the NCAA can do one of 2 things... Make or break you... In Jerichos case... It happened to make him.

This could symolize the end of humanity, but here goes.

He was horrible at game management, he only played verterans, he played favorites, he inherited a good team, he had very poor play calling.

But...he still made the playoffs where some coaches, with the same team, would not have. He still had a defense that ranked pretty well, and generated good QB pressures.

I don't like him, i'm glad he's gone, but he is better than say...butch davis, or dave wansedt (spelling? god i'm dumb...)

that's my two cents.

That gets inflated by overall yardage stats when teams passed less against us. 4 of his 5 years here we were bottom-5 in rush defense in either total rushing yards surrendered, yards per carry surrendered, or both. Prior to Herm, the last time a Jets team ranked as low in either of those categories was under Rich Kotite's 2 seasons.

And that was with 3 first-round DE's, a first-round DT, and a legit NT for most of the time he was here.

Teams don't pass as much when they can move the ball and/or eat up clock on the ground. More passing yards surrendered makes a defense look worse on paper; but usually it signifies the opposition needing to catch up to a high scoring offense, or playing against a stout run defense. We had neither.

His "improvement" in defense in KC from 2005 to 2006 was nonsense as well. In 2006, teams ran against KC more & passed less b/c the KC offense wasn't putting up 30-40 ppg anymore. They were actually easier to run on with Herm in '06 than with Vermeil in '05.

2004 was the only season when the Jets had a really solid defense during Herm's tenure & it coincided with Herm giving up on putting his "stamp" on the defense & let Donnie attack.

Herm may not have played alot of rookies... But I believe that Herm keeping J.Cotchery in the dog-house has made Cotch the player he is today. HUNGRY and MOTIVATED. Being on the bench after being a star athlete while playing in the NCAA can do one of 2 things... Make or break you... In Jerichos case... It happened to make him.

So by not playing him, Herm gets indirect credit for Cotchery also? :confused:

That gets inflated by overall yardage stats when teams passed less against us. 4 of his 5 years here we were bottom-5 in rush defense in either total rushing yards surrendered, yards per carry surrendered, or both. Prior to Herm, the last time a Jets team ranked as low in either of those categories was under Rich Kotite's 2 seasons.

And that was with 3 first-round DE's, a first-round DT, and a legit NT for most of the time he was here.

Teams don't pass as much when they can move the ball and/or eat up clock on the ground. More passing yards surrendered makes a defense look worse on paper; but usually it signifies the opposition needing to catch up to a high scoring offense, or playing against a stout run defense. We had neither.

His "improvement" in defense in KC from 2005 to 2006 was nonsense as well. In 2006, teams ran against KC more & passed less b/c the KC offense wasn't putting up 30-40 ppg anymore. They were actually easier to run on with Herm in '06 than with Vermeil in '05.

2004 was the only season when the Jets had a really solid defense during Herm's tenure & it coincided with Herm giving up on putting his "stamp" on the defense & let Donnie attack.

You're right about the 'inflated' defensive rankings. It was plain as day taht teams could run on us, especially the good teams. It seemed like the jets could rise to an occasion here and there and put together a good game, but it was few and far between, as defense goes.

I always liked Henderson, i thought he was going to do well in Detroit, but they are pretty awful. Maybe in a few years he'll be better again.

The KC defense is just awful, the only guy on that whole team i would want on the jets is Johnson (the dude from texas, looks like a good backer), otherwise they literally have nothing. I've never thought a college team could beat a pro team, but i bet a rookie team could handle the chiefs with relative ease.

kc = first overall pick

herm had me hoodwinked for years. i used to liken herm to ronald regan - more of a calming influence and administrator than a day-to-day operations guy. the more i see of him the more i am convinced that he is a complete buffoon.

the thing about herm is that people in general want to see him succeed. he is a likeable guy and you want his approach to work - the problem is his total incompetence when it comes to the details of the game. the only aspect of the game he understands is turnovers. the players reactions to herm holiding the sign on hard knock was one of the funniest things i have ever seen. the players were embarrassed for him and his buffoonery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrookpreview/070814&sportCat=nfl

In pertinent part-

Kansas City Chiefs

Why, exactly, is Herm "I Honor My Contract When I'm in the Mood" Edwards supposed to be a good coach? Edwards compiled a losing record at Jersey/B, then -- late in 2005, when the Jets were struggling and an attractive opening at Kansas City was waiting -- basically staged a work stoppage, refusing to coach so that Jets' management would release him from his contract by allowing his agent to arrange a coach trade with the Chiefs. Any player who refused to perform because he wanted to be traded would be roundly denounced, including by Edwards: But when it served Herm's pocketbook, he pulled this stunt himself and got away with it.

In his first year at Kansas City, Edwards went 9-8. The Chiefs made the postseason but lost in the first round at Indianapolis 23-8, and the game was an all-out fiasco for the Flintstones. Trailing 16-0 on the final snap of the third quarter, they scored, then did nothing in the fourth. As Kansas City was falling behind in the first three quarters of that game, Herm barely seemed conscious on the sideline, not barking orders, not doing anything. Edwards is 50-52 as an NFL coach. His principal coaching achievement was to pull an egotistical me-first stunt to get out of his Jets contract.

I'll grant that all coaching decisions involve guesswork. But here's how Edwards decided in 2006. Trent Green started the Chiefs' first game, lost it and got hurt. Damon Huard started the next eight contests and went 5-3, throwing 10 touchdown passes and one interception in that span. Edwards then benched Huard for Green, who finished the year 4-5, throwing for eight touchdowns and nine interceptions. It's a team game, and quarterback is just one of many positions. But Huard looked good under center for Kansas City; Green looked as though he needed a week at <A href="http://www.canyonranch.com/" target=new>Canyon Ranch; and Herm "I Honor My Contract When I'm in the Mood" Edwards yanked Huard to insert Green, with the result being a wheeze-out.

Kansas City note: Two seasons ago, the Chiefs' offensive line included future Hall of Famers Will Shields and Willie Roaf. This year's Will on the offensive line is Will Svitek.

New England Patriots

On draft weekend, New England traded a low first-round choice to San Francisco for a fourth-rounder plus the Squared Sevens' first selection next year, then traded a low third-round choice to Oakland for a seventh-rounder plus the Long Johns' No. 3 next year. The Patriots appear to be on the short end of both these trades. Reader David Cowling notes that San Francisco's first and Oakland's third in 2008 would need to come at the top of the rounds for the New England transactions to make sense in value-chart terms. If San Francisco has a good season and its 2008 first-round selection is low, or, heaven forbid, Oakland has a good season and its 2008 third-round selection is low, then New England has gotten little compared with what teams traditionally receive when they surrender a pick this year for a comparable pick next year. Bill Belichick might have felt his roster was already maxed out for 2007 and wanted to put some selections in the bank. Alternatively, Belichick might believe next April's draft class will be notably better than was this April's. Under Belichick, the Flying Elvii several times have banked choices if they believe the next year's draft class will be more attractive. Hardly anyone in the NFL thinks long-term like this -- another reason the Patriots consistently win.

Want another example of good Patriots management? Consider the net of New England's many receiver transactions of the past 12 months. Keeping Deion Branch would have cost the Patriots a decent amount of money and cap space, considering the deal Branch ultimately signed after being traded to Seattle has about $14 million in guarantees. Randy Moss, on the other hand, agreed to a deal without guarantees -- if the Moss experiment goes awry, he can be jettisoned up to opening day without any accounting penalty. If Moss makes the opening-day roster, New England will owe him $3 million to $5 million for the season depending on incentives, but the Patriots still can unload him next winter without a cap acceleration. Free agent Donte' Stallworth got only $1.3 million guaranteed, though he will earn $3.6 million if he's with the Patriots the full season. Stallworth's contract looked hefty for ego-stroking P.R. purposes but is unlikely to last past 2007 because the deal calls for $11 million in 2008. Unless Stallworth has a monster year, next winter he will either renegotiate downward or be waived. Finally, Wes Welker got about $9 million in guarantees. The aggregate of these transactions is that the Flying Elvii have Moss, Stallworth and Welker for approximately the same in salary-cap terms that it would have cost to retain Branch. Netting out the trades involved, the Patriots gave up second- and fourth-round choices while gaining a first-round selection, which they banked in the form of San Francisco's 2008 first-rounder. Getting three good players for the accounting cost of one, while converting two midround draft choices into a first-round selection, is the kind of management panache that keeps New England on top.

<A name=jets>

tmq_mangini_195.jpg AP Photo/Ed Betz

Mangenius scored quite an acting gig, appearing in "The Sopranos."

New York Jets

Somehow, the football world failed to notice the Jets-Patriots playoff game of January, though it pitted Bill Belichick against acolyte Eric "I Was a Teenaged Coach" Mangini. Both coaches used max-multiple offenses against each other. But the thrill was on the other side, where the Jets used what I dubbed the Times Square Defense -- everyone moving, almost milling around at random, before the snap. This was not a mistake but a deliberate tactic to confuse Tom Brady's presnap reads. And it almost worked! Tuesday Morning Quarterback has watched far too much tape, and has never seen another defense on which all 11 players are wandering back and forth, seemingly almost ignoring the offense, before the snap. That Times Square Defense -- will Mangini have the testosterone patch to try it again?

Meanwhile, you might have missed this, but Mangini did a cameo in one of the final "Sopranos" episodes. Mangini was shown being seated at Artie's restaurant; Tony sidled over to shake his hand. NFL coach meets with major gambler! Supposedly, Mangini appeared on "The Sopranos" because he's a fan. I think the Mangini appearance on "The Sopranos" was staking a claim -- to Jersey. Both the Giants and Jets claim to be from New York while actually playing in New Jersey. Who has had anything to do with the biggest Garden State cultural phenom since Springsteen? The coach of the Jets.

tmq_flightcrew_195.jpg New York Jets

Cheerleaders, flag carriers ... whatever they're called, it's a good move by the Jets.

For years, Tuesday Morning Quarterback has complained that the Giants and Jets say they represent New York City -- home of many attractive young women who have theatrical training and great legs and are looking for their break in show biz -- yet employ no cheerleaders. This has finally changed as Jersey/B announced a squad of 10 comely, scantily attired "flag carriers" <A href="http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show_permalink/jets-flight-crew-members-touch-down-at-hofstra" target=new>who also will dance. Maybe the New York City area is just too hip for the word "cheerleaders"; at any rate, "flag carriers" are welcome. Except -- it's the 21st century; why are there no shirtless ripped-stud flag carriers, too? Now the pressure is on the Giants. Come on, Giants. Manhattan and Hoboken are home-away-from-home to countless leggy dancers whose career aspiration is to enter the public eye. Giants, you're gonna let the Jets surpass you on something in your own stadium?

Don Banks quote:

Went to see Ratatouille a few weeks back. Am I the only one who noticed the chef named Skinner in the movie bears a remarkable resemblance to Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards? Right down to that French beret they both like to wear on occasion.

ratwallsskinner800bn8.jpg

Ohhhhh PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I wish that tool would stop calling us Jersey/B, and it also sounds like he really needs to get laid. I like the flag carriers, there's no reason to complain about them or demand gay studded men or whatever that guy was on about. Your attention should be mostly on the field anyway, or you're watching the wrong sport.

I wish that tool would stop calling us Jersey/B, and it also sounds like he really needs to get laid. I like the flag carriers, there's no reason to complain about them or demand gay studded men or whatever that guy was on about. Your attention should be mostly on the field anyway, or you're watching the wrong sport.

Yes, the Jersey B thing is pretty annoying. Are the Jets supposed to be playing 2nd fiddle to the Giants for all eternity, or are these jagoffs going to recognize whos the better team year to year?

Herm may not have played alot of rookies... But I believe that Herm keeping J.Cotchery in the dog-house has made Cotch the player he is today. HUNGRY and MOTIVATED.

ya, herm deserves credit for that just like neville chamberlin deserves credit for emboldening hilter to the point of recklessness, which eventually led to his downfall.

Archived