With the First pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, the NY Jets select.........

SouthernJet

Hmmmm, funny that there hasnt been 1 call for a QB yet in this thread.

If Clemens looks bad to the point where he doesnt look worth taking a shot on, a guy I'd really like us to go after is Matt Ryan. That guy has impressed me so much its unreal, He looks like he will be a great NFL QB.

If Clemens shows good promise like Im expecting him too I would like to see us go after McFadden, although like I said in another thread ONLY if we sign Faneca in FA.Could you imagine that next year : Thomas Jones, Leon Washington and Darren McFadden running behinf Mangold and Faneca. That would be one scary formula for one hell of a running game!!!

If however we choose to draft for need instead of talent, I could see us trading down and filling most of our defensive holes. Im not quite sure who's available but I do agree that Dorsey at DT is a beast, would Mangini switch the D to suit him?? Unfortunately I doubt it so I doubt we'll take him. Havn't seen this Long guy play, if he is indeed a 3-4 end I do agree that he's not worth a top 5 pick unless he is the next Richard Seymour, which I doubt he is. maybe trading down to get someone like him may be a viable option.

As for this talk about who was the better prospect between McFadden or Peterson, I cant see how anyone cannot say Peterson, IMO he was a sure thing to succeed in the NFL, his vision and burst through the hole for a rookie is ridiculous really however his greatest knock coming into the draft was his durability and after 6 games, its too early to see whether he can sustain full NFL seasons. (look at Caddilac after a great rookie year)

IMO Minny are seriously wearing him out early and although they dont really have a choice as is that good I seriously hope he can keep up those good numbers, I would hate to see his incredibly promising career ruined with injury.

Is McFadden a better prospect??? I doubt it, but he looks one helluva player and IMO is a worth at least taking a long hard look at. IMO he would give many many great years.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think we have the line to really take advantage of him, and when a back doesn't have a line to open everything up he is gonna get worn down running into a wall, like Dominick Davis, so whats the point?

The Houston OL was never as bad as made out. David Carr made it look a lot worse than it actually was.

You mean the offensive line that in the last four games that has let up just six sacks? That "horrible" offensive line?

Please. Spare me.

Since the Jets stopped playing two of the top five defenses in the NFL the Offensive Line has done a pretty good job pass protecting. As for their run blocking, that continues to be going up and down each and every week. They have to find a constant there, and hopefully that is either solid and average or good.

You mean the offensive line that in the last four games that has let up just six sacks? That "horrible" offensive line?

Please. Spare me.

Since the Jets stopped playing two of the top five defenses in the NFL the Offensive Line has done a pretty good job pass protecting. As for their run blocking, that continues to be going up and down each and every week. They have to find a constant there, and hopefully that is either solid and average or good.

Have to admit the O-line has been a lot better than i expected this season, the run blocking though is too inconsistent this season which is why I want to see Faneca!!!!

Look at Peterson running behind Hutchinson at Minny. If we want to draft Mcfadden we better give him something to consistently run behind. Faneca would be that.

How can you say he's not Seymour? He's a great DE who would be amazing for our rush defense which we need help with more than the running game. Next years draft will also be loaded with talented RBs so you can find a good one later on.

This the draft is loaded at a position talk might well have had us end up with Turnstile Justice at LT. For better or for worse, this FO seems to taget specific guys and go for them. They don't seem likely to take their 2nd or 3rd favorite prospect at a position they want to fill.

Dorsey is a 43 DT, not a 34 NT or 34 E. We need to take him if we're in the Top 5 and can take him and switch back to the 43.

Whether this is a good idea or not, I don't think there is any way in hell they are going back to the 4-3.

This the draft is loaded at a position talk might well have had us end up with Turnstile Justice at LT. For better or for worse, this FO seems to taget specific guys and go for them. They don't seem likely to take their 2nd or 3rd favorite prospect at a position they want to fill.

And I highly doubt they will target McFadden when they just traded for Thomas Jones.

Please. Spare me.

pass blocking and run blocking are totally different, you can be a good pass blocking team (which they are) and still be a HORRID run blocking team (which they are)

And I highly doubt they will target McFadden when they just traded for Thomas Jones.

I doubt they target Mcfadden. But 9 times out of 10 the best way to draft is to take the best player on the board. Mcfadden is easily one of the top 3 or 4 players in what is looking to be a good draft class.

We just gave Jones a $12M SB and have Leon as well. There is pretty much no way we're going to draft a HB with a top-5 pick.

So much for Thomas Jones being a "steal" for this team I guess. No team is going to hand out a $12M SB to one player and one year later, with that first player still healthy, hand out another $20M SB to another who plays the exact same position.

They have to take McFadden why? We have Jones & Washington, there is no room / need for Darren McFadden. What the Jets would NEED to do is take Glenn Dorsey and then switch back to the 4-3.

Amen brother. Go back to 4-3....Draft Dorsey, draft a speedy weak side LB in early round 2.

Build around Vilma, Rhodes, Revis, Dorsey, Harris....

And enough with drafting "boy scouts". Unless you have a Hall of Fame QB, you need stars...and you need a few of them...even if they are selfish as$holes.

Amen brother. Go back to 4-3....Draft Dorsey, draft a speedy weak side LB in early round 2.

Build around Vilma, Rhodes, Revis, Dorsey, Harris....

And enough with drafting "boy scouts". Unless you have a Hall of Fame QB, you need stars...and you need a few of them...even if they are selfish as$holes.

Build nothing around Vilma. If he's not traded, let him play out the last year of his rookie contract & that's that. He sucks. Certainly hasn't warranted an extension with an 8-figures signing bonus.

Please. Spare me.

I wasn't talking about pass protection, (although they are not steller at that, but i would say mediocre to ok depending on the day), I am talking about run blocking. How many times do you have to watch TJ run into the back of our olinemen and just stall out at the los? I can't be the only one here who sees that all day. And TJ was NOT doing that last year in chicago.

And btw, spare you?

CP has been sacked 10 times, KC has been sacked 5, for a total of 15 sacks in 6 games, that is a 2.5 sack per game avg. And based on the league right now, to be #16 out of 32 teams and dead middle of the league we would have to have allowd 10.5, so yeah, that offensive line that only allowed 2.5 sacks per game in the last four games as you point out is the oline I am talking about.

pass blocking and run blocking are totally different, you can be a good pass blocking team (which they are) and still be a HORRID run blocking team (which they are)

Bingo, although i would say they are just ok at pass blocking, definitely not great and probably not really good.

And btw, spare you?

CP has been sacked 10 times, KC has been sacked 5, for a total of 15 sacks in 6 games, that is a 2.5 sack per game avg. And based on the league right now, to be #16 out of 32 teams and dead middle of the league we would have to have allowd 10.5, so yeah, that offensive line that only allowed 2.5 sacks per game in the last four games as you point out is the oline I am talking about.

I dismissed the first two games, the last four is when the Offensive Line has played much better. Was it because they were facing New England and Baltimore defenses? Maybe, maybe not. It could be that they are starting to gell with Adrian Clarke in at LG and not Pete Kendall. Since that second game, six sacks allowed in four games. No more excuses for #10.

They been alright on pass protection, but gave up a crucial sack yesterday right after Poteat's int, that came on a four man rush.

Also, the thing i noticed is that most of TJ's yards came running right, and in that terrible set of downs at the end of the game, they ran TJ right for no gain, anfdthe QB sneak for no gain, also off right guard. Too predictable, and no confidence in running left, which made the defense's job easier.

I wont get into the playcalling there, as i already went ape-**** about it on the game thread as soon as it happened.

But it svcked.

And Clark still isnt good.

I dismissed the first two games, the last four is when the Offensive Line has played much better. Was it because they were facing New England and Baltimore defenses? Maybe, maybe not. It could be that they are starting to gell with Adrian Clarke in at LG and not Pete Kendall. Since that second game, six sacks allowed in four games. No more excuses for #10.

1) i think it is too soon to dismiss games, after all you are talking about dismissing 33% of the games played

2) the run blocking, which was the point of my original commentary on the oline, still is pathetic.

i say take howie longs kid, chris,,

a freakin pass rushing beast,,kiper has him going #4

Agreed. A Villanovan's son is as good as a Villanovan to me... unless he went to UConn or Georgetown (and he didn't, so we're cool). Welcome to the family Howie Jr. ...

Brian"s play calling has been totally crap. Mangini needs to sit this guy down and have a long talk with him. This is not all Chad's fault I think Brian is responsible for 2-3 of the loses this season. What does this team do in practice? They need to turn up the practices.

LC

Thank you for somebody having some sense. I've been preaching how badly we need Chris Long all year. He will be a beast.

looking at program, player and draft slot i think a safe early projection is Chris Long, DE, Virginia, with the Jets picking around 6-9 in the first round. Pedigree aside, he's a legit player, running 40 yards in 4.7 at 280.

Hmmmm, funny that there hasnt been 1 call for a QB yet in this thread.

If Clemens looks bad to the point where he doesnt look worth taking a shot on, a guy I'd really like us to go after is Matt Ryan. That guy has impressed me so much its unreal, He looks like he will be a great NFL QB.

If Clemens shows good promise like Im expecting him too I would like to see us go after McFadden, although like I said in another thread ONLY if we sign Faneca in FA.Could you imagine that next year : Thomas Jones, Leon Washington and Darren McFadden running behinf Mangold and Faneca. That would be one scary formula for one hell of a running game!!!

If however we choose to draft for need instead of talent, I could see us trading down and filling most of our defensive holes. Im not quite sure who's available but I do agree that Dorsey at DT is a beast, would Mangini switch the D to suit him?? Unfortunately I doubt it so I doubt we'll take him. Havn't seen this Long guy play, if he is indeed a 3-4 end I do agree that he's not worth a top 5 pick unless he is the next Richard Seymour, which I doubt he is. maybe trading down to get someone like him may be a viable option.

As for this talk about who was the better prospect between McFadden or Peterson, I cant see how anyone cannot say Peterson, IMO he was a sure thing to succeed in the NFL, his vision and burst through the hole for a rookie is ridiculous really however his greatest knock coming into the draft was his durability and after 6 games, its too early to see whether he can sustain full NFL seasons. (look at Caddilac after a great rookie year)

IMO Minny are seriously wearing him out early and although they dont really have a choice as is that good I seriously hope he can keep up those good numbers, I would hate to see his incredibly promising career ruined with injury.

Is McFadden a better prospect??? I doubt it, but he looks one helluva player and IMO is a worth at least taking a long hard look at. IMO he would give many many great years.

Jets won't be looking for a QB with the first pick if KC pans out terribly. For one drafting a kid that early already takes faith out of the guys hands. But look at the prospects at QB (worthy of a 1st rder).

Andre Woodson (Kentucky) - Before teams roll out the red carpet, this is the same program which in recent years spit out Tim Couch and our well beloved D.Rob in the top-5 picks. Have any players even panned out from the program? Point being steer clear.

Matt Ryan (BC) - Kids got smarts and accuracy but not a big time arm. Jets fans sound familiar?

Brian Brohme (Louisville) - Like this kid, but if Atlanta has a pick before us you could almost expect Petrino grabbing him. Also the injuries have to raise eyebrows and scare Jets fans.

Colt Brennan (Hawaii) - I really liked this kid stats alot,then I saw him play.. Anybody taking this guy as a top 10 pick is reaching pretty far. He's not too big, forces many balls in, and his stats are from a pass-happy offense. Throw in his character issues of being thrown out of Colorado as a freshman and thats a huge white flag to steer clear of him.

looking at program, player and draft slot i think a safe early projection is Chris Long, DE, Virginia, with the Jets picking around 6-9 in the first round. Pedigree aside, he's a legit player, running 40 yards in 4.7 at 280.

who you kidding, we are looking like 3-13

top 5 baby bring it home

Run DMC to the rescue

Matt Ryan (BC) - Kids got smarts and accuracy but not a big time arm. Jets fans sound familiar?

Ryan reminds me more of Tom Brady than Chad. He has very goo arm strength, maybe not a Favre/Elway type arm but from what I've seen of him its not even remotely an issue with him.

Also, if Andre Woodson turns out like Tim Couch (Who i still think could have been a very good NFL QB had he gone to any other franchise) I will change my name to Gay Lord focker!!!

Not saying the jets should draft him, or that i even know where he will land, but i (being a buckeye fan) have liked Lorinitas (spelling?) for the past few seasons. He looks like a real team leader, very hard tackler, not sure on his speed or anything, but it is hard to bet against a Buckeye defender. You could almost outfit an entire Pro-bowl squad with their current alumni.

Pickett, W. Smith, S. Springs (old i know), winfield, clements, Gamble, hawk, Carpenter, Schlegasouras (jk)...

either way, i wouldn't mind seeing a guy like that.

Archived