MNF - Remember when it was fun to watch?

Smizzy

I can't handle it anymore.

First off...There is no need to have the players introduce their teammates. It's ridiculous. Everybody has a stupid nickname and everybody wants to be cool when they say them. Why can't they just introduce them like...well like their on a national television program?

Second....Why is Tony Kornheiser in the booth? Can't we just have competent football announcers? How much does Keith Jackson want? get anybody in there but this human dildo. After yrs of listening to John Madden perform verbal fellatio on Bret Favre....it's nothing compared to Kornholio sucking off Brady and Manning. PTI sucks. PIT on the halftime show? I want to kill myself after 30 seconds. Jesus Christ he is an ugly son of a bitch too.

Third....What the **** do I care what Russel Crowe or Jimmy Kimmel have to say about the football game? Oh thats right...you don't give a **** what they say..they are there to plug something. What the **** happened to telling me about the football game? Great. You and Denzel have a movie coming out....I seen it the first time when it was called Virtuosity and it SUCKED!

**** ESPN....PTI....Wilbon...Konheiser....and that stupid little Jercules from Around the Horn. They officially suck monkey turds.

Actually I`m having a tough time remembering the last time other then the stinking dolphin game when I left a game feeling good about the game.....Thank God for the bachlorette parties that always seem to find us in the road cities...Ps. the Cini. fans were very nice to us out there of course how could they not be happy to see our team on their sched. that week...

First off...There is no need to have the players introduce their teammates. It's ridiculous. Everybody has a stupid nickname and everybody wants to be cool when they say them. Why can't they just introduce them like...well like their on a national television program?

Second....Why is Tony Kornheiser in the booth? Can't we just have competent football announcers? How much does Keith Jackson want? get anybody in there but this human dildo. After yrs of listening to John Madden perform verbal fellatio on Bret Favre....it's nothing compared to Kornholio sucking off Brady and Manning. PTI sucks. PIT on the halftime show? I want to kill myself after 30 seconds. Jesus Christ he is an ugly son of a bitch too.

Third....What the **** do I care what Russel Crowe or Jimmy Kimmel have to say about the football game? Oh thats right...you don't give a **** what they say..they are there to plug something. What the **** happened to telling me about the football game? Great. You and Denzel have a movie coming out....I seen it the first time when it was called Virtuosity and it SUCKED!

**** ESPN....PTI....Wilbon...Konheiser....and that stupid little Jercules from Around the Horn. They officially suck monkey turds.

potw nom........ great observation smizzy. how bout the pregame with Stuart Scott? makes me wanna vomit. Parcels is on way too much & with keyshawn no less? gimme a break.

You nailed it here smizz. I sure can't remember when mnf was fun to watch. Ever since Dennis Miller took a seat next to Al Michaels in the booth, mnf lost it's luster. give any sporting event to espn & it becomes a silly sideshow. They can even f@#k up a hot dog eating contest

I will take this years broadcast team over last years, thats for sure. Theisman sucked. Kornheiser is not that bad. You can get your football insight from Jaws and Kornheiser is there to simply add some entertainment.

As for Keith Jackson? Are you serious? Is that the same bumbling, monotone tool who every five seconds goes "WHOA NELLY" who only does games on the West Coast for College Football?

There was a reason that MNF used to be fun to watch-It was the biggest game in town.

In the golden age, pre-cable, pre-satellite, pre-nfl packages, pre-espn, pre-sports only hilight shows, the Monday Night game was the culmination of many things.

But more than anything, it was the only NATIONAL game that was on the entire week.

To any football starved fan, it was heaven. And, you got to see highlights of other games at halftime, which was the first time you got to see them, even 24 hours after the last game concluded.

It was an EVENT.

Trust me, the proliferation of football and the ability to watch any game that you want is a great thing. But it cheapens the national event that Monday night football was.

And there are no amtch-ups, or announcing crews that can change that. Oh, another football game is on. Ho-hum.

It didn't used to be like that.

I will take this years broadcast team over last years, thats for sure. Theisman sucked. Kornheiser is not that bad. You can get your football insight from Jaws and Kornheiser is there to simply add some entertainment.

As for Keith Jackson? Are you serious? Is that the same bumbling, monotone tool who every five seconds goes "WHOA NELLY" who only does games on the West Coast for College Football?

Keith Jackson, at one time was the best football play-by-play man for the game, bar none.

He allowed the game to speak for itself. There was no need to hype the dramatic.

Keith Jackson, at one time was the best football play-by-play man for the game, bar none.

He allowed the game to speak for itself. There was no need to hype the dramatic.

Keith Jackson was great. When I pull out an old DVD or tape of a canes game during the off-season, it is a treat to hear him do the call.

Tirico: "And Kenton Keith runs off tackle for a short gain of --"

Kornheiser: "TOMMMMM BRADYYY!!!! He's making Manning insecure about his passing numbers now, you know."

Jaws: "Tom Brady's having a great season. Better than I ever had. No doubt about it."

Tirico: "...gain of 4 for the rookie. Second down."

Kornheiser: "PEYYYYTONNNN MAAAAAANNNNING!!!"

Tirico: "Huh?"

Kornheiser: "Peyton Manning. He's really great & stuff. Tom Brady's having an even better year if you can believe it. Who would you rather have right now?"

Jaws: "Peyton Manning's having a great season. Better than I ever had. No doubt about it."

Kornheiser: "Peyton Brady. Now THAT would be a great quarterback. You know how many touchdowns the two of them have combined this year? A lot. It's amazing how quickly I'm picking this game up. Oh - hey - Jimmy Kimmel's here! Wow man I think you're just fantastic. What time is your show on?"

Jimmy: "Well it's on weeknights at --"

Kornheiser: "TOMMMMM BRAAAAADYYYY!!!!! Oh. Sorry about that. Pardon the Interruption."

Tirico: "And Kenton Keith runs off tackle for a short gain of --"

Kornheiser: "TOMMMMM BRADYYY!!!! He's making Manning insecure about his passing numbers now, you know."

Jaws: "Tom Brady's having a great season. Better than I ever had. No doubt about it."

Tirico: "...gain of 4 for the rookie. Second down."

Kornheiser: "PEYYYYTONNNN MAAAAAANNNNING!!!"

Tirico: "Huh?"

Kornheiser: "Peyton Manning. He's really great & stuff. Tom Brady's having an even better year if you can believe it. Who would you rather have right now?"

Jaws: "Peyton Manning's having a great season. Better than I ever had. No doubt about it."

Kornheiser: "Peyton Brady. Now THAT would be a great quarterback. You know how many touchdowns the two of them have combined this year? A lot. It's amazing how quickly I'm picking this game up. Oh - hey - Jimmy Kimmel's here! Wow man I think you're just fantastic. What time is your show on?"

Jimmy: "Well it's on weeknights at --"

Kornheiser: "TOMMMMM BRAAAAADYYYY!!!!! Oh. Sorry about that. Pardon the Interruption."

POTW

They are trying too hard.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-mondaynightfootball&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jaworski, who recalls watching the inaugural MNF broadcast from his Youngstown State dorm room, acknowledged that "'Monday Night Football' is different."

"It's not totally focused on the game," he said. "It's an entertainment vehicle."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/31/AR2007073100719_pf.html

"They told me they wanted to make the show more issue-oriented," Theismann said. "I asked them 'was it the quality of my work?' They said no. They said they noticed that when they studied the tape, when it came back to me, I talked about football. I guess that was the problem, but you'll have to ask them.

"Hey, I'm a football guy. It's what I do. To say I'm not disappointed would not be correct. I'm very disappointed. I believe that 100 percent of the audience, whether it's Sunday night or Monday, wants to be entertained and educated about football. We have enough shows on ESPN about issues all over the place. To me, when you call it Monday Night Football, the expectation of the fan is to see football, and hear about football."

http://sportsbiznews.blogspot.com/2007/09/monday-night-football-as-american-as.html

a little MNF history... good read.

They have made it a show instead of a sports event- blame ESPN for that

Kinda crazy, you would logically expect a sports network to be able to get it right.

BTW, am i the only one who thinks faith hill is COMPLETELY sexless in that stupid opening song montage? I want to stab my ears and eyeballs when that comes on. I swear, it is a faith hill robot standing there short circuiting as it is trying to move to the music.

You lost me at Russell Crowe. :cloud9: I guess I should start watching MNF. :rolleyes:

PTI is the best show EVER. **** that.

It's not about getting NFL fans to watch the game anymore. ESPN and NFL and any other network want to attract new fans. I mean they care, but if the Jets are on MNF, most of us would watch regardless. They already ahd us at "NY Jets on MNF." Same goes for die hard fans. And if you are die hard NFL fan, you probably watch anyway. The ratings have gone down for years, long before Dennis Miller. That's why they brought him in.

They want to attract your casual fans, your non NFL die hards. Whether it' s working or not is another story, but for the most part, sports fans go to ESPN anyway, they aren't trying to attract you anymore.

It's almost like cell phones or cable or direct TV or Apple or most businesses these days,. Once you are subscribed or a member, you no longer matter. They get your money. They got your attention. They want to try and attract new customers. Maybe it once was "repeat customers" but anymore it's almost like most businesses could care less about repeat business. Everything has become a monopoly. If you don't like NFL, you can either turn it off and watch no NFL on monday night or you watch it.

when they put russell crowe on i turned off the tv and played some solitaire.

haha. I hear ya. It is pretty lame bringing actors and comedians in to supplement the already poor announcing. I didn't see it, but smizzy's right they are just there to plug a new movie or time-slot change. Hello, who gives a ****. This is football!

haha. I hear ya. It is pretty lame bringing actors and comedians in to supplement the already poor announcing. I didn't see it, but smizzy's right they are just there to plug a new movie or time-slot change. Hello, who gives a ****. This is football!

save it for Letterman/Leno, this promotional crap is getting ridiculous. Remember the super bowl? 4 hours long!!! I can barely sit through it, they hit a 10 minute break every 4 snaps.

My dad says that in the old days they used to watch MNF because the halftime highlights were basically the only time that you got to see the highlights from the non-local games. He says the news didn't cover it so much back then, so it was a big deal. Especially if your team wasn't televised.

I'm old, so you can imagine how old my dad is....

My dad says that in the old days they used to watch MNF because the halftime highlights were basically the only time that you got to see the highlights from the non-local games. He says the news didn't cover it so much back then, so it was a big deal. Especially if your team wasn't televised.

I'm old, so you can imagine how old my dad is....

It wasn't that long ago. Well, relatively.

Cosell's halftime highlights of Sundays games were a staple and draw for teh show as lat as the late 70's and early 80's.

It was considered a boon as a fan, if your team got one of the highlighted games by Cosell.

To tell you how things went back then, I remember a Steelers game from the late 70's that was played in a snowstorm, and Howard mentioned that they could not show highlights of the game, because flights were not able to take off from Pittsburgh because of the blizzard.

Incomprehensible now.

It wasn't that long ago. Well, relatively.

Cosell's halftime highlights of Sundays games were a staple and draw for teh show as lat as the late 70's and early 80's.

It was considered a boon as a fan, if your team got one of the highlighted games by Cosell.

To tell you how things went back then, I remember a Steelers game from the late 70's that was played in a snowstorm, and Howard mentioned that they could not show highlights of the game, because flights were not able to take off from Pittsburgh because of the blizzard.

Incomprehensible now.

Yes, I remember it being a big deal to have your team on the show, but never that you couldn't see the hightlights otherwise and Bensonhurst didn't get cable until the 90's, so we didn't have ESPN. Remember the Philly game (I think the playoffs v. Green Bay) where you couldn't see the players on TV because of the fog? How long ago was that?

Archived