Brian Schottenheimer

nj meadowlands

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been saying this for awhile. I'm beginning to think I have possibly been too harsh on Pennington too. I'd still rather have a QB with an arm like Clemens so I ultimately wanted the switch, but it would be no shock to me if Pennington goes on another team and lights it up.

And, I was wrong. I apologize to everyone in that thread projecting our record with Clemens as starting QB the entire season. We would still be 2-9. Never let it be said that I don't admit when I am wrong.

Our offensive line is awful and our best player was hurt.

You can be as imaginative as you want, we were going to put up points today either way.

Points could have been scored... with some better playcalling.. they left a few chances at 6 on the field...

Also... they better find a way to win without coles... he wont be a JET much longer with Chad gone and Mangini here...

yes the line did suck, more so the right. However, they still have to run more then straight up the gut on almost every running play.

We ran almost every first down right up the gut. You would think down by 3 TDs virtually the entire game we'd try to pass more, but no. Ironically enough, the few times we did pass on first down, we got first downs out of it, except I think on one pass.

How the hell do you know that?

He gets paid to be a Jet.

He has man love for Chad and HATES mangini's style... he will not hang around long on a losing Mangini coaches team with a young QB... he only has so much time left... he isnt going to waste it away in this mess..

We ran almost every first down right up the gut. You would think down by 3 TDs virtually the entire game we'd try to pass more, but no. Ironically enough, the few times we did pass on first down, we got first downs out of it, except I think on one pass.

there is countless coaching problems on this team.. its horrible.. .thats why its so hard to watch... a good coach cna make even a bad team bearable to watch..

I really thought the weak link out of the three (Mangini,Schotty and Sutton) was the DC Sutton at the beginning of the year, but at least that group have shown some kind of improvement and adjustments. The D looks like a group that is trying to change for the better. The offence is the same boring, predictable, bland, Bull**** whether it's Chad, Clemens or anyone at QB.

Something has to be done, IMO Schotty is the main culprit with the Manginidiot not far behind him.

I have been saying this for awhile. I'm beginning to think I have possibly been too harsh on Pennington too. I'd still rather have a QB with an arm like Clemens so I ultimately wanted the switch, but it would be no shock to me if Pennington goes on another team and lights it up.

And, I was wrong. I apologize to everyone in that thread projecting our record with Clemens as starting QB the entire season. We would still be 2-9. Never let it be said that I don't admit when I am wrong.

I actually agree with you. B Schott has been horrendous this year and I'm wondering if its cause Marty is retired and giving him crappy advice cause he's bored or if Brian just sucks that much.

There is only so much you can do when your Oline is struggling, you have a rookie QB and your #1 WR is not playing.

Again, stop rushing to judgement. Lets see what Schott has in his bag once Clemens matures and the rest of the offensive cast is up to snuff.

There is only so much you can do when your Oline is struggling, you have a rookie QB and your #1 WR is not playing.

Again, stop rushing to judgement. Lets see what Schott has in his bag once Clemens matures and the rest of the offensive cast is up to snuff.

Scott ?

Bring Hackett back.

And you say other people are idiots? With statements like that you might as well just call yourself Mangini and Schotty Jrs. son.

The excuses used to be Chad couldn't play. Now the excuses are KC is young and the OL needs to gel and they need Coles back... How many TDs does Coles have this season?

The excuses need to stop. The offense was not that impressive last season and this season they are one of the worst offenses in the NFL no matter who is the QB.

Yeah if they had TO and Moss, LT, 5 great OL, maybe Schotty would show his true colors. Then again most coaches would. The problem is, teams don't have 4 pro bowl OL, 2 pro bowl WR, a great RB, and a pro bowl QB at the same time the defense is just as good.

So what happens if they do bring in all these players and somebody gets hurt? Suddenly Schotty can't coach cause he doesn't have the offense of the AFC pro bowl team? Give me a break with that logic.

And you say other people are idiots? With statements like that you might as well just call yourself Mangini and Schotty Jrs. son.

The excuses used to be Chad couldn't play. Now the excuses are KC is young and the OL needs to gel and they need Coles back... How many TDs does Coles have this season?

The excuses need to stop. The offense was not that impressive last season and this season they are one of the worst offenses in the NFL no matter who is the QB.

Yeah if they had TO and Moss, LT, 5 great OL, maybe Schotty would show his true colors. Then again most coaches would. The problem is, teams don't have 4 pro bowl OL, 2 pro bowl WR, a great RB, and a pro bowl QB at the same time the defense is just as good.

So what happens if they do bring in all these players and somebody gets hurt? Suddenly Schotty can't coach cause he doesn't have the offense of the AFC pro bowl team? Give me a break with that logic.

So you believe a different OC would make a world of a difference?

hint hint: It would not. You can only squeeze so much out of a lemon. Last year Schott squeezed as much out of that lemon as possible. This year we returned with the same lemon on offense. You cant squeeze all out of the same lemon twice. We need more talent on offense and we need our young QB to be the real deal, bottom line.

And losing your #1 WR is huge for any offense, see the Colts losing Harrison even though they still have P. Manning.

I really thought the weak link out of the three (Mangini,Schotty and Sutton) was the DC Sutton at the beginning of the year, but at least that group have shown some kind of improvement and adjustments. The D looks like a group that is trying to change for the better. The offence is the same boring, predictable, bland, Bull**** whether it's Chad, Clemens or anyone at QB.

Something has to be done, IMO Schotty is the main culprit with the Manginidiot not far behind him.

you're forgetting Tony Wise the OL coach-now if anybody needs to be fired the second the season ends it's him-then Sutton and then Schottenheimer

So you believe a different OC would make a world of a difference?

hint hint: It would not. You can only squeeze so much out of a lemon. Last year Schott squeezed as much out of that lemon as possible. This year we returned with the same lemon on offense. You cant squeeze all out of the same lemon twice. We need more talent on offense and we need our young QB to be the real deal, bottom line.

And losing your #1 WR is huge for any offense, see the Colts losing Harrison even though they still have P. Manning.

I agree that losing Coles is a factor but I do not agree that this offense lacks talent.... the Colts had to replace a Pro Bowl, maybe HOF OL .The Jets had to replace Pete Kendall.

That might not be on Schotty, but it's on Mangini and Tanni..

And the reality is, when will they become good? How many offensive players who played today were starters on that 2005 Jets offense?

NOt that many... So if the 2007 Jets offense is worse than the 2005 Jets offense with mostly new players, that says this regime does not know how to bring in good talent.

So maybe it's not all on Schotty, but at some point, something has to improve.

I agree that losing Coles is a factor but I do not agree that this offense lacks talent.... the Colts had to replace a Pro Bowl, maybe HOF OL .The Jets had to replace Pete Kendall.

That might not be on Schotty, but it's on Mangini and Tanni..

And the reality is, when will they become good? How many offensive players who played today were starters on that 2005 Jets offense?

NOt that many... So if the 2007 Jets offense is worse than the 2005 Jets offense with mostly new players, that says this regime does not know how to bring in good talent.

So maybe it's not all on Schotty, but at some point, something has to improve.

I'm not saying they didnt make mistakes in the offseason. They did. They should not have cut Kendall without having a better or equal guard to take his place. But at the same time, Kendall gone isnt why we suck.

This can be turned round in 2 years thru the draft and free agency.

But this thread is specifcally aimed at Brian Schotty. And I am here to say that there is very little he could do today vs a tuff dallas defense at home.

If we put up this performance vs the dolphins you may have a point, but we just got whooped by a 9-1 team.

I'm not saying they didnt make mistakes in the offseason. They did. They should not have cut Kendall without having a better or equal guard to take his place. But at the same time, Kendall gone isnt why we suck.

This can be turned round in 2 years thru the draft and free agency.

But this thread is specifcally aimed at Brian Schotty. And I am here to say that there is very little he could do today vs a tuff dallas defense at home.

If we put up this performance vs the dolphins you may have a point, but we just got whooped by a 9-1 team.

You are quite frankly wrong, and it is absurd. Why does Herm get heat for run run pass punt but not schotty? Herm's teams were CRIPPLED with injuries, and he's had a terrible O-line in KC, but you and other Jets fans gleefully rip into Herm.

You've got protection issues? Play a 2 TE set (which we did do at times), keep a back in to block, and here's another major one, ROLL YOUR QB OUT! Clemens is a midget already with good mobility, refusing to call a designed bootleg is foolish. Make some sort of adjustment, do SOMETHING.

And for heaven's sake, running straight up the gut virtually every first down is not something that is dependant on a young QB or a bad O-line. In fact it is even dumber in those scenarios. How about some screens to LW then? How about running outside? Why this steadfast refusal to at least change up the running plays?

How about quick 3 step drops? There are a myriad of things a good OC does if protection is a problem. Schotty does none of those things. Schotty runs this O as if we are the old power Dallas teams of the 90s.

You are quite frankly wrong, and it is absurd. Why does Herm get heat for run run pass punt but not schotty? Herm's teams were CRIPPLED with injuries, and he's had a terrible O-line in KC, but you and other Jets fans gleefully rip into Herm.

You've got protection issues? Play a 2 TE set (which we did do at times), keep a back in to block, and here's another major one, ROLL YOUR QB OUT! Clemens is a midget already with good mobility, refusing to call a designed bootleg is foolish. Make some sort of adjustment, do SOMETHING.

And for heaven's sake, running straight up the gut virtually every first down is not something that is dependant on a young QB or a bad O-line. In fact it is even dumber in those scenarios. How about some screens to LW then? How about running outside? Why this steadfast refusal to at least change up the running plays?

How about quick 3 step drops? There are a myriad of things a good OC does if protection is a problem. Schotty does none of those things. Schotty runs this O as if we are the old power Dallas teams of the 90s.

I never said he called a good game today, because he certainly did not.

My point is, he could have called a great game and we still would have lost. That talent just isnt there right now for us (on both sides of the ball) to compete with the elite teams. And that quick 3 step drop is great if you have WRs who can get open. Clemens had to eat sacks today because nobody was open.

I never said he called a good game today, because he certainly did not.

My point is, he could have called a great game and we still would have lost. That talent just isnt there right now for us (on both sides of the ball) to compete with the elite teams. And that quick 3 step drop is great if you have WRs who can get open. Clemens had to eat sacks today because nobody was open.

That is not a good defense. First off it's not that he didn't call a good game, he called an awful one. And it is moot whether we would have won or not, that's not the point, the point is we need to see a QB develop and by giving him a good gameplan we could get a chance to see that. And hell at least we'd have a chance to win.

But if your argument is we need wide open WRs for Clemens to make a play, then we should stuck with Chad and Clemens won't last long in the NFL. It's wrong though, in the rare chances he got to throw the ball he was fitting it into tight places. The problem is he was not allowed to throw or get in a rhythm. Schotty insisted on running on first down, and usually insisted on running on second down too. He seemed more concerned at the end of the game with getting TJ a rush TD than actually getting a TD, wasting 2 downs with a running play for no gain, and the final down on a pass short of the endzone. Brilliant. What does this have to do with lack of offensive talent exactly?

Beyond that, on a 3 step drop you are going timing based routes and patterns. You are not looking for the open WR, you made your read before the ball was snapped and you know where you can go on the WR's break. Obviously you're not looking to throw an INT, but if your read was correct, you should be throwing somewhere that your WR can make the play or nobody does. Even if our WRs were terrible and could get zero seperation, we'd at least have something. But, funny, isn't it you who complained about Chad only completing short passes? With the same WRs? Unless you want to claim only Coles caught Chad's checkdowns, but he didn't so that is BS too. So what of it, is KC incapable of doing something Chad could do?

It's not like we don't have some talent even. This offense should be performing better than it did. The reason it didn't is because of absolutely terrible playcalling and a complete lack of offensive preparation.

How do you prove competence by being thoroughly incompetent? What did Schott and Mangini show you today that makes you think they are going to turn this around? You prove ability by doing SOMETHING, not by failing and then making excuses!

That is not a good defense. First off it's not that he didn't call a good game, he called an awful one. And it is moot whether we would have won or not, that's not the point, the point is we need to see a QB develop and by giving him a good gameplan we could get a chance to see that. And hell at least we'd have a chance to win.

But if your argument is we need wide open WRs for Clemens to make a play, then we should stuck with Chad and Clemens won't last long in the NFL. It's wrong though, in the rare chances he got to throw the ball he was fitting it into tight places. The problem is he was not allowed to throw or get in a rhythm. Schotty insisted on running on first down, and usually insisted on running on second down too. He seemed more concerned at the end of the game with getting TJ a rush TD than actually getting a TD, wasting 2 downs with a running play for no gain, and the final down on a pass short of the endzone. Brilliant. What does this have to do with lack of offensive talent exactly?

Beyond that, on a 3 step drop you are going timing based routes and patterns. You are not looking for the open WR, you made your read before the ball was snapped and you know where you can go on the WR's break. Obviously you're not looking to throw an INT, but if your read was correct, you should be throwing somewhere that your WR can make the play or nobody does. Even if our WRs were terrible and could get zero seperation, we'd at least have something. But, funny, isn't it you who complained about Chad only completing short passes? With the same WRs? Unless you want to claim only Coles caught Chad's checkdowns, but he didn't so that is BS too. So what of it, is KC incapable of doing something Chad could do?

It's not like we don't have some talent even. This offense should be performing better than it did. The reason it didn't is because of absolutely terrible playcalling and a complete lack of offensive preparation.

How do you prove competence by being thoroughly incompetent? What did Schott and Mangini show you today that makes you think they are going to turn this around? You prove ability by doing SOMETHING, not by failing and then making excuses!

Its all subjective. I saw plenty of cases in todays game where our guys simply didnt execute after the snap of the ball (on offense). We cant just blame play calling. It falls on the players too.

Schott definitely needs to open up the playbook more, but it is harder to do without Coles. And unfortunately Clemens has not had Coles in 3 of his 4 starts. That is very significant.

We can all sit here and put all the blame on Schotty, but guess what? You cant be ultra creative and be an offensive genius if you're damn Oline cannot block for your QB or your RB. Thats a talent problem, and if you want, an Oline coach problem (but that is also tied to talent). Thats not Scottys fault.

Also, the way I see it:

Schotts 1st year in 2006 - caught the league by surprise, great job. Innovative and everything.

Scotts 2nd year in 2007 - the league catches up. Schott cant cover up lack of talent with smoke and mirrors anymore.

Scotts 3rd year in 2008 - ???

2008 I believe will be very telling on whether or not Mangini/Tannenbaum/Schotty will be our long term guys. I think we'll be a good team in 2008.

Points could have been scored... with some better playcalling.. they left a few chances at 6 on the field...

Also... they better find a way to win without coles... he wont be a JET much longer with Chad gone and Mangini here...

They had the one play where Clemens rolled left and threw it in the end zone, but Cotchery tripped over the DBs foot. Not very impressive. I think Clemens INT wa dumb. They put a full blitz on. You cannot throw the out there. It is a set up. But I have seen a hundred NFL QBs get eaten up on that play. This was ONE GAME. Anybody remember that Manning threw 6 INTs last week?

Sounds like the same excuses you were attacking people for when they would say the same stuff with the coaching staff and Pennington, with the exception of Pennys age.

Semper Fi

I completely agree.

How many times are they going to run that stupid draw play out of the shotgun? It never ever works and they run the damn thing at least five times a game.

I thought Clemens played very well for most of the first half. There was no reason to keep running Jones for two yards on first and second down.

It was a Hackett-esque playcalling performance. I'm glad I wasn't one of the guys that was sucking off Schotty as an offensive genius all last year. Apparently, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

It's more than time to take a serious look at what Shottenheimer's doing. Known fact that the line sucks - but does the line suck so bad if we move the chains through imaginative play call? The only imaginary thing I'm seeing is our chances at having a functional offense.

Sounds like the same excuses you were attacking people for when they would say the same stuff with the coaching staff and Pennington, with the exception of Pennys age.

Semper Fi

Except its not. Chad had Coles, and was losing to garbage defenses. Not good defenses like the cowboys. Plus, Chads a vet so there's no excuses for him.

Today was the WORST play-calling I have ever witnessed. Unbelievable!!

you may have missed the Chiefs early exit from the playoffs last year.

That, my friend, was the worst play calling I have ever seen. I'm not sure that it could ever be out done.

you may have missed the Chiefs early exit from the playoffs last year.

That, my friend, was the worst play calling I have ever seen. I'm not sure that it could ever be out done.

right now it doesn't matter which plays are called our OL can't hold their blocks for longer than 4 seconds-on running and passing plays-they give up-watch the replay-we have THE worst OL in the professional game

Archived