Jets ship Vilma to Saint for a 4th rounder in 09...

22DaFuTuRe51

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A 4th rounder is better than nothing. Plus, we don't know all the details yet. We might be able to get 2nd or something if he plays well.

I think it's officially a 4th rounder, and the pick is coming in 09'.

Seriously, ERIC MANGINI can go to hell.

I think it's officially a 4th rounder, and the pick is coming in 09'.

Seriously, ERIC MANGINI can go to hell.

If the posted reort is accurate, it will probably be a 3rd in 09. Which is fine by me.

People, what did you expect for an Him? he hasn't produced in 2 years.

Corey Williams got traded for a 3rd rounder and he isnt even the same level as vilma. Jon Vilma is a arguable top 5 MLB in my mind we shouldve got so much more and i dont think anything will change my mind.

Top 5 MLB? He's barely a top 3 ILB on the Jets.

There are a few factors to consider:

1. We are not sure of the exact compensation so maybe everybody should relax a little bit.

2. Vilma did not sign a new deal. Maybe Vilma is also gambling and not signing a long term deal (the Lions and Saints are probably trying to low ball him) and hoping he jacks his value back up.

3. They may have rushed because of the knee. IF news started spreading that the Lions had him in for a physical and then lost interest the bottom could really drop out.

Corey Williams got traded for a 3rd rounder and he isnt even the same level as vilma. Jon Vilma is a arguable top 5 MLB in my mind we shouldve got so much more and i dont think anything will change my mind.

I agree we got NOTHING.

Mangini needs to get off the Parcells ego trip of letting players go who dont see things his way.Mangini hasnt won a dam thing and isnt even a close second to Parcells.

Ouch! Should have been a 3rd. outright with a possibility for a 2nd.

This I agree with. Those who think we should have got an 08 pick are crazy. No team was going to do it.

Our choices were:

1) Keep Vilma, hope he recovers, then sign him, franchise him or let him walk...

or

2) Do a deal like this.

Maybe a 3rd conditional to a 2nd, I can see but teams were going to want to see if Vilma wasn't done.

People over value the estimate of their players- in the real sports world of GM's and front offices brings you back to reality sometimes. Vilma was never going to get a number 1 pick like some people thought here. I would have liked a second rounder though!

Only thing I don't understand is what the rush was. If we weren't going to get a pick until next year's draft, why not wait until the summer -- or at least until he's up & running?

They seem to have acted a little desperate on this one & we were not in a desperate situation. He clears a whopping $1.1M on the cap. There was just no rush if the UPside of the compensation was a 3rd rounder in NEXT year's draft, IF he has a good season in 2008.

Maybe the rush was to clean the slate early and get him off the books/roster asap.

I read months ago that Vilma had a knee condition, not just an injury but I cant find any trace of those reports now. His condition was (supposedly) one that the meniscus degenerates and doesnt adhere to the bone, and that it may or may not continue. Im still digging to find those reports though.

The New Orleans Saints completed a trade with the New York Jets to acquire linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

5537.jpgVilma

Though terms of the deal weren't announced, it is believed Vilma will go to the Saints for a fourth-round pick in 2009 that could be upgraded to a third-round based on how he plays in 2008. Vilma is in the final year of his contract and he goes to New Orleans without a new deal. The Jets started shopping him in the past couple of weeks. Drafted to be a middle linebacker in a 4-3 defense, Vilma didn't fit in as well when Eric Mangini installed a 3-4 defense. Vilma's knee problems also influenced the Jets' decision to move him.

For the Saints, it was a busy opening to the start of free agency. On Thursday night, they re-signed defensive tackle Brian Young to a three-year, $12 million contract with a $4 million signing bonus. They also re-signed linebacker Mark Simoneau to a three-year, $4.9 million contract that included a $1.4 million signing bonus.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

sup with the 49ers logo

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, November 1st 2007, 4:00 AM

When the Jets made Jonathan Vilma a first-round pick in 2004, they were aware of an abnormality in his right knee. That condition likely contributed to his season-ending injury, a renowned orthopedist said yesterday.

In high school, Vilma was diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans (OCD), a bone defect that can cause instability and loose particles in the joint. Although Vilma and the team have refused to specify his injury, his right knee does contain loose fragments, it was confirmed.

"A person with OCD has a vulnerable spot on the knee that, from repetitive use, can break loose more easily," said Dr. Nicholas DiNubile, a Philadelphia-based orthopedic surgeon and a consultant to the 76ers. DiNubile hasn't seen Vilma's MRI exams, but he suspects there's a "sizeable defect" in the knee that may need to be repaired with micro-fracture surgery - a six-to-nine month rehab. If it were only one bone chip, DiNubile said, it could be easily removed with an arthroscopic procedure that would sideline Vilma two or three weeks.

On Tuesday, Vilma said he hadn't decided on whether to have surgery, although that appears likely. Either way, he expects to play next season. NFL doctors flagged the OCD at the 2004 scouting combine. Surgery was recommended, but Vilma went for a second opinion and decided against surgery. He didn't want to hurt his draft status. At the time, the Jets confirmed their knowledge of the condition, but they felt it was a worthwhile risk. Two other teams, contacted after the draft by the Daily News, felt the same way. "We have the best medical staff in the league," then-GM Terry Bradway said at the draft. "When they give you the go-ahead, you don't look back."

Vilma didn't miss a game until last week. He said he was hurt the previous week, although he couldn't recall the exact play. The injury may not have been caused by a single trauma, said DiNubile, adding that the fragments could have been created over time. The injury comes at a delicate time for Vilma, who could seek a new contract and/or a trade in the offseason.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2007/11/01/2007-11-01_jets_knew_of_jonathan_vilmas_knee_injury-2.html

Jon Vilma is a arguable top 5 MLB in my mind

He almost doesn't make top 5 on the team, let alone in the NFL.

You guys are all nuts. Stop overvaluing player because they wear green.

You're probably the same guys who wouldn't trade Phil Hughes for Johan Santana.

He almost doesn't make top 5 on the team, let alone in the NFL.

You guys are all nuts. Stop overvaluing player because they wear green.

You're probably the same guys who wouldn't trade Phil Hughes for Johan Santana.

Phill hughes is like still 20 and is amazing and that trade was wit like ian kennedy and cano stupid trade if yankees did it.. i said arguable i dont believe he is top 5 but in other ppl minds he is or can be again

I find it funny that all year long everyone was $hitting all over Vilma as being a "safety in a LB's jersey", "making tackles 10 yards downfield" etc. and now he's the second coming of Dick Butkus. I liked Vilma and think they could have gotten more, but the guy has a bum knee and the MLB play picked up immensely once Harris became the starter. If the interest level in Vilma had been high, then there would have been a bidding war. This trade tells me that wasn't the case.

For me the thing is, if the Jets could have received a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Vilma, they would have done that. But if the best they could get was a 4th that could turn into a 3rd, than that's what they had to do.

All of us bloviating about how much we should have received for Vilma couldn't possibly know what teams were actually willing to give up for him. The fact that he is coming off a knee injury and a couple average seasons and that his contract is up after this year certainly doesn't help.

Phill hughes is like still 20 and is amazing and that trade was wit like ian kennedy and cano stupid trade if yankees did it.. i said arguable i dont believe he is top 5 but in other ppl minds he is or can be again

He's amazing? How do you know? From his completely underwhelming stats in the Major Leagues? There were Yankee fans who said they wouldn't do a trade straight up for Santana. I make that trade every day and twice on Sunday.

I was just trying to make the point that fans of a team tend to overvalue their players.

Also take into consideration ....other teams know we need to move him.

He is useless in our system and his contract is gonna be up and we would get nothing for him.

Do you honestly think other teams are gonna go out of their way to overpay for Vilma when they know we are looking to get anything we can for him?

Anything we get this yr is better than the "thanks for drafting me" we would have recieved next offseason when he walked.

Also take into consideration ....other teams know we need to move him.

He is useless in our system and his contract is gonna be up and we would get nothing for him.

Do you honestly think other teams are gonna go out of their way to overpay for Vilma when they know we are looking to get anything we can for him?

Anything we get this yr is better than the "thanks for drafting me" we would have recieved next offseason when he walked.

This line of reasoning makes me think we won't get much for D-Rob anymore either. Giving the money we reportedly are to Jenkins means we HAVE to get rid of D-Rob and his albatross of a contract. Now teams might not be willing to deal as good a pick and/or player for him.

Archived