The cold hard football facts on Keller

glenn212

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this pick. He's so much better than any slot receiver on the board or available via FA. Plus, plug him in the H-back and use him as either a blocker or play action receiver. And that's *before* he ties on the feedbag and grows into a full-sized TE.

Love the selection.

It was a surprise, for sure, but I loved the pick. Keller isn't your ordinary TE, this guy has the freak athleticism to go along with the outstanding production.

He's average at best as a blocker, but then again, who the hell drafts a TE in the 1st round for his blocking ability? Well, unless your the Jets (Brady/Becht).

Still, I love Dustin Keller's potential. We haven't had this kind of prospect at TE since Johnny Mitchell (I know he was a bust but it was due to mental errors, not physical ability).

He'll be our starter at TE from day one, but you also can't discount this guys value as an H-back/slot receiver.

Well said, what does it matter if it's a TE or a WR we just helped our passing game greatly, I'd rather have a mis match TE over a speedy WR or big WR any day of the week good pick JETS this kid will help just wait and see.

I agree. That's what calmed me down. None of the WR's really stood out. We needed a receiver who would make a difference on this team. Keller is a receiver who can make a difference. He's also 6'4", only an inch shorter than Sweed, and with a 41" vertical, I THINK he can be a nice redzone target.

I have faith in the Jets coaching staff to get this guy to play to his potential

everyone is complaining that they gave up too much. THEY GAVE UP A 4TH ROUND PICK. wtf guys

Dont worry about them complaining. Its only relevant if keller is a bust. Outside of that, he would definitely be worth, more than worth the 4th round pick.

If his college numbers were so great, and his measureables were so fantastic, why wasn't he a top 15 pick?

Of course, I really don't get this draft. I will never understand how James Hardy was not a top ten pick, with his size, speed, and college production. He's going to kick our ass twice a year for the next half-decade.

If his college numbers were so great, and his measureables were so fantastic, why wasn't he a top 15 pick?

Of course, I really don't get this draft. I will never understand how James Hardy was not a top ten pick, with his size, speed, and college production. He's going to kick our ass twice a year for the next half-decade.

And Keller will kick everyone else's ass right back... your point?

The facts on Keller

His senior year 13.0 yds per catch -7 tds, 68 catches for 881 yds - 80 yarder his longest

Measurables were off the hook for a TE..He was #1 in all catorgories

Career: 142 catches 1882 yds 13.3 16 TDs

4.54 FORTY

41 vertical ...WHAT!!!

10 .1 broad jump... YIKES!

shuttle 20 YDS 3.98

shuttle 60 YDS 11.74

3 cone 6.88

Bench press 26 at 225 (your average d linemen)

His measurables were better then Shockey. Heap, Smith, Winslow Jr, Clarke coming out of college!! check it out if you want! Dude is ready comin off the bus...Can you say BEAST??

Bitch if you want, but this dude has "balla" written all over him!

I like both 1st round picks. I didn't think they'd pick Keller but hey I like it. We can run double-TE sets using Franks as the blocking TE and Keller as the receiver.

I'm assuming Chris Baker's days as a Jet are numbered though.

That's the only valid criticism of this pick. Hardy is probably a better prospect than Keller. Same probably goes for Limas Sweed.

I wanted the Jets to draft Hardy also. but I'm assuming that one of the keys to this Shottenheimer offense is to have somebody that can't be covered in the middle of the field. Keller serves that purpose and more. Hardy, not so much.

I like both 1st round picks. I didn't think they'd pick Keller but hey I like it. We can run double-TE sets using Franks as the blocking TE and Keller as the receiver.

I'm assuming Chris Baker's days as a Jet are numbered though.

I THINK they might keep Baker. A double-TE set with Keller and Baker would mess with defenses, I think.

The facts on Keller

His senior year 13.0 yds per catch -7 tds, 68 catches for 881 yds - 80 yarder his longest

Measurables were off the hook for a TE..He was #1 in all catorgories

Career: 142 catches 1882 yds 13.3 16 TDs

4.54 FORTY

41 vertical ...WHAT!!!

10 .1 broad jump... YIKES!

shuttle 20 YDS 3.98

shuttle 60 YDS 11.74

3 cone 6.88

Bench press 26 at 225 (your average d linemen)

His measurables were better then Shockey. Heap, Smith, Winslow Jr, Clarke coming out of college!! check it out if you want! Dude is ready comin off the bus...Can you say BEAST??

Bitch if you want, but this dude has "balla" written all over him!

Reps on your post! You know what? many people keep crying about this pick and dude is going to end up being the "Superstar" that we DONT HAVE.

look at the situation here. IF Pennington starts that will be an upside knowing that you have a definite short range target that can break tackles and get massive YAC.

If Kellen Starts that would be even crazier because he has an extra option as a down field threat....4.5 speed, with WR hands and crazy vertical Tight end vs. a Safety....I'll place my money on the Tight End. He can turn out to be a problem for every team for the next 10 years.

Put it like this. If people want to compare gholston to abraham, then how about comparing Keller to Tony Gonzalez. Honestly, whats the difference?

Reps on your post! You know what? many people keep crying about this pick and dude is going to end up being the "Superstar" that we DONT HAVE.

look at the situation here. IF Pennington starts that will be an upside knowing that you have a definite short range target that can break tackles and get massive YAC.

If Kellen Starts that would be even crazier because he has an extra option as a down field threat....4.5 speed, with WR hands and crazy vertical Tight end vs. a Safety....I'll place my money on the Tight End. He can turn out to be a problem for every team for the next 10 years.

Put it like this. If people want to compare gholston to abraham, then how about comparing Keller to Tony Gonzalez. Honestly, whats the difference?

Gonzalez is a complete TE. He can catch and block. Keller is strictly a receiver and nothing else.

I would have rather seen the Jets take Hardy or Sweed and then take a TE later in the mid-rounds. Keller has some ability though and he has the potential to create match-up problems.

Pennington is probably jumping for joy right now. He's probably the biggest beneficiary of the Keller pick. Keller is exactly the kind of receiver that suits Chad.

Gonzalez is a complete TE. He can catch and block. Keller is strictly a receiver and nothing else.

I would have rather seen the Jets take Hardy or Sweed and then take a TE later in the mid-rounds. Keller has some ability though and he has the potential to create match-up problems.

Pennington is probably jumping for joy right now. He's probably the biggest beneficiary of the Keller pick. Keller is exactly the kind of receiver that suits Chad.

He can be taught how to block. And I do agree with you. Gonzalez is complete. I just mentioned that because of people comparing gholston to abraham....its just stupid.

Anyway. F Chad. He's only the biggest beneficiary for chad because chad only throws the ball 5 yards. Imagine how this would fit with kellen. He'll be able to include the WR's downfield as well as Keller.

The Jets are on the road to nowhere if we have to concern ourselves with anything that would be beneficial to Pennington. The best thing that could come with this pick is he never has to risk life and limb waiting for a Pennington checkdown balloon.

The problem I have with this pick is this: We drafted this guy for his recieving skills only (he couldn't block a 90 year old woman using a walker), despite having every single WR still up for grabs. Despite us needing someone who could stretch the field. Not good value for the pick(s) in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't as bad as Schlegel, because this kid has some talent. But we could have gotten much more.

For this draft to be considered good, or even acceptable, they have to find at least one diamond in the rough with the remaining picks. They've done that before, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I don't give a rats arse about his skills and I'm not saying he isn't going to be a beast next year. Our front office is made up of a bunch of retards. We could have waited and that's what confuses fans. Because everyone one here knows it.

And how do you know that? I'm assuming the Jets FO knows just a bit more than any of us and they traded up for a reason.

I don't give a rats arse about his skills and I'm not saying he isn't going to be a beast next year. Our front office is made up of a bunch of retards. We could have waited and that's what confuses fans. Because everyone one here knows it.

Do yourself and everyone else in football a favor and stop watching the sport. Your opinions are WORTHLESS, you have no idea what you are talking about and to call my favorite teams front office a 'bunch of retards' insults everyone and i take it personally, I happen to be close friends with one of those 'retards' and believe me, i feel bad every day that they inherited a team of whinny bitch fans who have as low a football IQ as you do...

The Jets are on the road to nowhere if we have to concern ourselves with anything that would be beneficial to Pennington. The best thing that could come with this pick is he never has to risk life and limb waiting for a Pennington checkdown balloon.

The whole off-season pickups seem to be designed for Chad Pennington IMO.

He's better and will have more of an impact than any of the recievers who were on the board when we got him. Oh and if we did not move up somebody would have snatched him, he is a beast. Maybe they move Baker and get back a 3rd or 4th rounder, there still are a few decent WR's left and we may be able to get one just with the picks we have left, none of which are a giant step down from the WR's who were picked in the first 2 rounds.. I really do not see why so many are whining about this pick, the recievers they wanted all sunk like stones and none of them looked to have as much game breaking upside as Keller does, there really were no WR worthy of a 1st or early 2nd IMO.

plus he will be running his routes against backups dBs and safeties. Not to ention the occasional LB.

From surfing around it seems Keller has great work ethic, scored well on the wonderlic and is a great team mate and very recepitive to coaching...plus he's a beast. If the FO moved up 6 spots to pluck him they most likely had knowledge someone was going to grab him before 36.

Ive watched a lot of Purdue football and I have seen him play in person. I know its only my opinion, but I think everyone will like Keller. He is a hardworking, good guy. One of the biggest needs on offense for us , is a play maker...someone with speed who can catch the ball. This guy is not mitchell, brady, becht etc.

Ive watched a lot of Purdue football and I have seen him play in person. I know its only my opinion, but I think everyone will like Keller. He is a hardworking, good guy. One of the biggest needs on offense for us , is a play maker...someone with speed who can catch the ball. This guy is not mitchell, brady, becht etc.

If we actually start passing to a te then it might be a good pick. I'm hoping after doing some thinking that the jets use him as a wr/te hybrid.

The research is looking at the teams ahead of us. Not one of them needed a te. not one. there were a ton of wr's on the board. we needed one of those well ahead of a te. we needed a cb, there we at least two of those that would have been better then a te. but the point is, we could have waited he wasn't even rated that high on most of the draft guru's boards until the late 2 early 3rd. that's the point.

That is an assumption. Pretty big considering the leaks that the Giants wanted Keller at #31.

The biggest rumor surrounding the the Giants at #31 was trading Shockey to NO. That might have happened IF they nabbed a TE they envisioned as being as good of a receiver. Now the Giants didn't trade Shockey for NO's pick at #40. But it is entirely feasible that it's because they didn't get the TE they wanted at #31 (as it is now surfacing they did want).

Giants take Keller at #31, then they trade Shockey to NO for pick #40.

Giants don't get Keller, then they keep Shockey instead.

Chad could have used a tight end with skill like Keller 5 years ago. Penny's strength is throwing to the middle of the field. I mean, this will benefit both QBs but will definitely help Chad more IMO. Just more fodder for the QB controversy.

The research is looking at the teams ahead of us. Not one of them needed a te. not one. there were a ton of wr's on the board. we needed one of those well ahead of a te. we needed a cb, there we at least two of those that would have been better then a te. but the point is, we could have waited he wasn't even rated that high on most of the draft guru's boards until the late 2 early 3rd. that's the point.

How about the giants needing a TE. Boss? Shockey gone... They were pickin @ 31.

The problem I have with this pick is this: We drafted this guy for his recieving skills only (he couldn't block a 90 year old woman using a walker), despite having every single WR still up for grabs. Despite us needing someone who could stretch the field. Not good value for the pick(s) in my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't as bad as Schlegel, because this kid has some talent. But we could have gotten much more.

For this draft to be considered good, or even acceptable, they have to find at least one diamond in the rough with the remaining picks. They've done that before, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Give me a break, a 90year women. Are you also saying that Gholston is a 90 year old woman?:confused:

"There were a few times that I had to block Gholston and it went well for the most part,

Archived