Falcons Sign Rookie QB Matt Ryan To 6-year, $72M Deal

Irish Jet

falcons.gifFalcons Sign Rookie QB Matt Ryan To 6-year, $72M Deal

The Atlanta Falcons agreed to terms with quarterback Matt Ryan on a six-year contract on Tuesday. NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports the contract is valued at $72 million, with $34.75 million guaranteed. Ryan was the third overall choice, and the first quarterback selected, in the 2008 NFL Draft out of Boston College. He becomes the second first-round draft pick to sign, following top overall choice Jake Long, who signed a five-year contract worth $57.75 million. Ryan was in attendence when the Falcons held organized team activities on Monday. "I was going to be here regardless, that's off-the-field stuff," said Ryan of contract negotiations. "I'm down here, working with the guys, and getting ready for the season." The Falcons have called a news conference for 8 p.m. ET.

Source: NFL.com

I realize the numbers will work out differently but that averages out to roughly $12M per year for a QB that has never taken an NFL snap. And I thought Pennington's big payday was done prematurely.

Seriously though, this is ridiculous and something has to be done to put an end to these inflated rookie contracts.

no surprise, but the money is so outrageous. what should gholston's contract look like, 6 years $45 million with $20 million guaranteed?

That's about what I was thinking for Gholston, 6 years for a total of $40M.

And people still wish we won that last game so we could sign McFadden for $11M per season. Meanwhile proven players like Marion Barber III (arguably the best tackle-breaker in the NFL) are grateful to get $45M over 7 years.

Being at the very top of the draft is a curse more often than it is an opportunity.

$12M per year for a rookie. Insane.

Got to believe that is one of the reasons for the owners to stop the players agreement. I agree with that part of it.

I read that also.

It seems to me that should be an easy item to fix. It is in the veteran players best interest. Less money for the rookies, more money for them.

I'm good with that. I'd much rather pay a player who has been producing for 4-5 years, then a player who ain't done anything. Unsigned rookies don't vote.

I read that also.

It seems to me that should be an easy item to fix. It is in the veteran players best interest. Less money for the rookies, more money for them.

I'm good with that. I'd much rather pay a player who has been producing for 4-5 years, then a player who ain't done anything. Unsigned rookies don't vote.

I agree, but I've read comments from the union that they want no part of a rookie cap. Maybe they use the rookie money to bitch for better deals as veterans? Maybe if they tie a rookie cap to an increased minimum wage they can get it thru.

These contracts can crush a franchise. Neither of the Jets top 5 players in the last few years has earned his fat contract. And no one wants to trade up anymore for a rea$on. A rookie cap would probably create a lot more trades up top, too, which makes for a more compelling draft. An event the league is pushing more promenently every year.

I agree, but I've read comments from the union that they want no part of a rookie cap. Maybe they use the rookie money to bitch for better deals as veterans? Maybe if they tie a rookie cap to an increased minimum wage they can get it thru.

These contracts can crush a franchise. Neither of the Jets top 5 players in the last few years has earned his fat contract. And no one wants to trade up anymore for a rea$on. A rookie cap would probably create a lot more trades up top, too, which makes for a more compelling draft. An event the league is pushing more promenently every year.

It's unfortunate. But the draft being a big deal has nothing to do with how much money the players get signed to. One never knows how much better some of these top prospects would be if they had to prove themselves at the NFL level before getting that gargantuan payday.

If there were slotted rookie salaries, they would also have to level the length of time you could sign players for. It would actually be a disadvantage then for a top player at a position like RB to go #4-5 overall if he's signed for 6-7 years. He'd be better served going at the top of round 2, still get a decent contract well above the league minimum, and is a UFA after only 4 years. No sane team wants to give a $50-60M contract to a RB entering his 7th or 8th season.

They would have to make it so everyone in the first round gets a maximum 4 or 5 year deal and keep the 4 year maximums for rounds 2-7.

The size of these contracts has probably ruined some careers. One I mentioned, was that these are just kids & they're getting more money than they'll know what to do with for the rest of their lives, and get it without doing any work at the NFL level. The other is for certain positions like QB in particular - a team cannot pay a guy this kind of money and afford to bring him along slowly. Some players are pretty good - to the point where the team is better with him over someone else - early on. Others like Drew Brees took longer to develop; by that time, his team had already invested a top-4 pick (actually, the #1 pick initially) on another QB. Still others like Matt Hasselbeck benefited from holding a clipboard for far longer than Matt Ryan and his $12M/yr salary could.

If you don't end up with a player who develops into a top-5 PRO at his position within 3 years, it's hard to justify the cap allotment. If he doesn't develop into a top-10 pro within 4 years, the team can prematurely go in a different direction. And meanwhile they've given top-2 position salary to a player who did little to justify it for years. Instead of being a big player in FA, they signed a never-gonna-be stiff.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAA!!!

This Bum couldn't even competed against the Miami Hurricane defense and now he's facing nfl defenses?!

BWAHAHAHA!

Great signing, Falcons! Have fun in the basement.

This isn`t funny, can you imagine what we are gonna have to pay for a franchise QB by the time the JETS GET AROUND TO FINALLY SIGNING ONE!

This isn`t funny, can you imagine what we are gonna have to pay for a franchise QB by the time the JETS GET AROUND TO FINALLY SIGNING ONE!

True. when you put it that way it is scary. I can't believe they gave ryan that kind of money. i really think he is overrated but we shall see

It's unfortunate. But the draft being a big deal has nothing to do with how much money the players get signed to. One never knows how much better some of these top prospects would be if they had to prove themselves at the NFL level before getting that gargantuan payday.

If there were slotted rookie salaries, they would also have to level the length of time you could sign players for. It would actually be a disadvantage then for a top player at a position like RB to go #4-5 overall if he's signed for 6-7 years. He'd be better served going at the top of round 2, still get a decent contract well above the league minimum, and is a UFA after only 4 years. No sane team wants to give a $50-60M contract to a RB entering his 7th or 8th season.

They would have to make it so everyone in the first round gets a maximum 4 or 5 year deal and keep the 4 year maximums for rounds 2-7.

The size of these contracts has probably ruined some careers. One I mentioned, was that these are just kids & they're getting more money than they'll know what to do with for the rest of their lives, and get it without doing any work at the NFL level. The other is for certain positions like QB in particular - a team cannot pay a guy this kind of money and afford to bring him along slowly. Some players are pretty good - to the point where the team is better with him over someone else - early on. Others like Drew Brees took longer to develop; by that time, his team had already invested a top-4 pick (actually, the #1 pick initially) on another QB. Still others like Matt Hasselbeck benefited from holding a clipboard for far longer than Matt Ryan and his $12M/yr salary could.

If you don't end up with a player who develops into a top-5 PRO at his position within 3 years, it's hard to justify the cap allotment. If he doesn't develop into a top-10 pro within 4 years, the team can prematurely go in a different direction. And meanwhile they've given top-2 position salary to a player who did little to justify it for years. Instead of being a big player in FA, they signed a never-gonna-be stiff.

The system needs to be overhauled for sure. There is enough money for everyone, thanks to us, that a deal should get done. As long as the sides to get greedy or hurt feelings.

Yeah, I get that. What I'm saying is that a rookie salary cap will increase the value of these high picks -that draft pick trade chart would have to be completely redone, again- and that could lead to more dealing at the top end of the draft. That, in turn, creates more drama for the league's big event.

There's no doubt that a rookie cap would have to be tied to shorter maximum contracts. And really, that's fair. The whole problem is that these kids aren't proven at the NFL level. If they prove themselves, I have no problem with them getting paid.

I'd be in favor of a three year limit. Why not? The fourth year would be an RFA year, so the team would have the first opportunity to resign the player, or get compensation for him after three years. Or rent him for a fourth and let him go, or tear it up after two years and give the kid his money if you want (and/or think you'll lose him in RFA if you don't!). The players who deserve it get paid, and they players who don't, don't. It'll put a lot more players into the FA pool, too, and that helps keep the league in the papers in the offseason. I think it's a win-win.

The owners are going to have to give something to get a real rookie cap in place. I definitely think they could put a plan in place that's good for everyone - except the Ryan Leaf's of the world. And isn't that what's best for the league?

They really need to adopt the NBA rookie salary cap policy....this is crazy.

They will. They should take the first 5 picks in the second round, average them and that should be the salary of the #1 pick. No range, no LTBE, NLTBE, just her rook, here is what you get. It also ends the undue influence of shady agents. Take the savings and give that to the veterans. Remove the franchise tag as it is, and replace it with a 3 year committment to the franchise player.

Archived