Favre to the jets ???

jetsjets

Come on guys just dream with me here. Jets spend all this money in the off season for "ok" players and we still don't know who is going to run our offense. the only reason for that is because out of the two choices we have, they both sux!

call favre, free some money up we are paying chad a ton of money. let him go lets get some real talent in here.

Come on guys just dream with me here. Jets spend all this money in the off season for "ok" players and we still don't know who is going to run our offense. the only reason for that is because out of the two choices we have, they both sux!

call favre, free some money up we are paying chad a ton of money. let him go lets get some real talent in here.

i don't think Faneca and Jenkins are just "ok"

now i think both Clemens and Pennington are capable of leading the team to the playoffs.

that being said i am intrigued by the idea of Favre, as much as i know it aint happenin.

and stop trying to start a flame war.

I dunno, Favre's a great player, but he's getting kind of long in the tooth, really long actually. Plus he throws tons of picks, and our team looks like it will be a stout defense/lots of running type of team, which requires more of a ball control style QB. Favre likes to chuck it as hard and as far as he can, which is tons of fun to watch, but not really conducive to this Jets team, imho.

why in the world would farve come back out of retirement to join the Jets? for what possible reason? even if it was just $$$ there are plenty of teams out there that would pay him more than we would.

Just a dream guys

Brett Favre to the Jets does not make sense, due to the simple fact that he does not fit their system at all, and one they have been preaching.

If Favre came, it would be at the expense of Schottenheimer. They would not need him.

Schott's system is one of cerebral reads at the line and adjusting based on what the defense will give you.

Favres game is one of macho "I know where I am going with the ball at the break of the huddle" and then trying to fit it in there, even if there is no fit to be had.

Could Favre bring the Jets a one year playoff opportunity? Possibly. Are the Jet receiver Favre"ble"? Certainly not.

Could Favre, for a bit of PR and a stab in the dark cause detrimental damage to any semblance of organizational continuity and progress? Entirely possible.

It would just not seem to make sense.

Kind of like bringing Willie Mays to the Mets in '73 when the fit was not there,done out of PR and sentimental reasons, only to see an aging man pleading at home plate for a call in the WS in a truly sad ending to a career.

Brett Favre to the Jets does not make sense, due to the simple fact that he does not fit their system at all, and one they have been preaching.

If Favre came, it would be at the expense of Schottenheimer. They would not need him.

Schott's system is one of cerebral reads at the line and adjusting based on what the defense will give you.

Favres game is one of macho "I know where I am going with the ball at the break of the huddle" and then trying to fit it in there, even if there is no fit to be had.

Could Favre bring the Jets a one year playoff opportunity? Possibly. Are the Jet receiver Favre"ble"? Certainly not.

Could Favre, for a bit of PR and a stab in the dark cause detrimental damage to any semblance of organizational continuity and progress? Entirely possible.

It would just not seem to make sense.

Kind of like bringing Willie Mays to the Mets in '73 when the fit was not there,done out of PR and sentimental reasons, only to see an aging man pleading at home plate for a call in the WS in a truly sad ending to a career.

Yeah, Favre is just chuck and duck. I mean it's not like Mike Holgren is a Walsh disciple running a sophisticated offense. Hell, I think he set the TD record running a WCO under Sherman. I don't think he's a good fit because they are building slowly and steadily, but I don't think Favre has anything to do with Schottenheimer. I'm sure he could run this offense with no trouble and assuredly better than the two we have now. Jets haven't seemed to be looking for short term answers though.

Yeah, Favre is just chuck and duck. I mean it's not like Mike Holgren is a Walsh disciple running a sophisticated offense. Hell, I think he set the TD record running a WCO under Sherman. I don't think he's a good fit because they are building slowly and steadily, but I don't think Favre has anything to do with Schottenheimer. I'm sure he could run this offense with no trouble and assuredly better than the two we have now. Jets haven't seemed to be looking for short term answers though.

All the Jets did this offseason was "short term" win now moves. Think Faneca was a move for the future?

But that does not mean Favre is the right answer.

If you think Favre goes through progressions rather than "who is one-on-one and I will wing it", you haven't been watching closely.

They had to corral him into the offense last year, and teh results were good. That still does not mean he would be a fit here philosophically.

Can you imagine the veteran receivers in practice? They would line up so they took Pennington's throws. The rookies would have to catch Favre's lasers while all the Veterans laughed!

doesn't shotty run a modified west coast O?

didn't favre win his only SB with holmgren and the west coast O?

i'm just saying... not really sure how favre would pan out... to me it almost reeks of boomer esiason/neil o'donnell... i only say almost because esiason & o'donnell aren't favre caliber QBs

why in the world would farve come back out of retirement to join the Jets? for what possible reason? even if it was just $$$ there are plenty of teams out there that would pay him more than we would.

Favre is under contract for three more years. This years salary is 12 million.

We dont have space for him cap wise.

Ive got him signed thru 2010 season- 3 seasons.

Jets can get around it. Penny will save us 6-7 mil... Im not a capologist, so I'd like to know how we can free the rest of the money up.

Yep, through 2010.

Not that I think it's likely or a good idea, but Barton and Barrett both make over $3M this season. I'm not sure of the exact numbers they save because they had signing bonuses and I'm too lazy to look it up. They may need Barton, but Barrett is certainly expendable.

I dunno, Favre's a great player, but he's getting kind of long in the tooth, really long actually. Plus he throws tons of picks, and our team looks like it will be a stout defense/lots of running type of team, which requires more of a ball control style QB. Favre likes to chuck it as hard and as far as he can, which is tons of fun to watch, but not really conducive to this Jets team, imho.

Sorry, I don't think Favre is any longer a great player. When the Packers played the Giants in Green Bay this past winter, Favre look cold as hell, uncomfortable with it, and just old. He didn't want to be out there in the inclement weather.

Favre is still a gunslinger, and he was so much fun to watch these last few years -- even when he threw so many INTs you could hardly keep track of them.

But if Brett goes back on his word to retire, his agent says he wants to play for the Panthers, and Green Bay will take one of the team owner's balls where he goes for $12 million per.

Is Brett going to accommodate the offense? Or is the offense going to accommodate Brett?

Bringing Brett into the NYJs will kind of be a repudiation of everything this team has done so far -- remember how committed these guys are to Chad and to Kellen. All 52 of the roster guys busted their asses for the QB last year even though they wound up 4-12.

All that hard teamwork wasn't for throwing both QBs under the bus in favor of an aging gunslinger star.

When you remember where the FO and CS focus has been for this coming season so far, just ask yourself if Brett can hand off to TJ or Leon or Jesse or Musa any better than Kellen or Chad?

Racing after Brett Favre just seems like such a side-step for this NYJ team.

Sorry, I don't think Favre is any longer a great player. When the Packers played the Giants in Green Bay this past winter, Favre look cold as hell, uncomfortable with it, and just old. He didn't want to be out there in the inclement weather.

Favre is still a gunslinger, and he was so much fun to watch these last few years -- even when he threw so many INTs you could hardly keep track of them.

But if Brett goes back on his word to retire, his agent says he wants to play for the Panthers, and Green Bay will take one of the team owner's balls where he goes for $12 million per.

Is Brett going to accommodate the offense? Or is the offense going to accommodate Brett?

Bringing Brett into the NYJs will kind of be a repudiation of everything this team has done so far -- remember how committed these guys are to Chad and to Kellen. All 52 of the roster guys busted their asses for the QB last year even though they wound up 4-12.

All that hard teamwork wasn't for throwing both QBs under the bus in favor of an aging gunslinger star.

When you remember where the FO and CS focus has been for this coming season so far, just ask yourself if Brett can hand off to TJ or Leon or Jesse or Musa any better than Kellen or Chad?

actually 51... BT phoned it in, remember?

I disagree. I still think Favre is a top 5 QB if he comes back to play next season. He looked bad against the Giants defense but guess what - so did Tom Brady with the greatest offense ever in the history of football.

Not that I think ithe Jets will get him but Favre with this revamped offense the Jets have would probably win 11-12 games next season. He's still a great player.

Signing Favre would be the best move in NYJETS history.If our WRs could keep up we would be instant Super Bowl contenders.The mans a GUNSLINGER who knows how to win.

My last memory of Favre was him throwing that backbreaking INT, under no pressure, against the Giants last year in the NFC Championship Game.

The guy is an interception machine.

My last memory of Favre was him throwing that backbreaking INT, under no pressure, against the Giants last year in the NFC Championship Game.

The guy is an interception machine.

So is Chad Pennington, but Favre actually throws TDs.

He does throw TD's but he also throws a heck of a lot of INT's. Pick your poison I guess.

He has the most TDs and most yardage in NFL history. He has the most INTs too, but just to compare thus far, using only modern era (1990s and beyond, since before then passing rules were so different, Favre is part old era part new era):

Favre: 17 years 442 TD 288 INT 62k yards

Aikman: 12 years 165 TD 141 INT 33k yards

Bledsoe: 14 years 251 TD 206 INT 45k yards

Elway: 16 years 300 TD 226 INT 51k yards

Marino: 17 years 420 TD 252 INT 61k yards

I tried to get a time overlap. Montana was a little bit earlier, and Elway had a bit in the 80s too, but I think otherwise the timing is somewhat decent. I probably should have left Aikman off actually since he seems a bit irrelevant. Anyway, the INTs aren't THAT bad, especially compared to the TDs, and of course the yardage.

For the yardage, TDs and years played, and the fact that a lot of those years were before the newer rule changes, I can't really say he throws a lot of INTs. He's not the best, but he's not the worst in terms of INTs by a longshot.

Favre WAS a great QB. Anybody who thinks he could swap teams at 39 years old and be even a shadow of what he once was is either a romantic or a fool. The Jets' QB situation is obviously tenuous, but Favre wouldn't be anything like a solution. He'd just be a new kinda problem. He had a resurgence last year with a great team around him, but his saviour days are well behind him at this point.

Luckily, this'll never, ever happen.

Archived