Vince Young May Be 'Extremely Depressed', May Not Want To Play Football

Smizzy

Vince Young May Be 'Extremely Depressed', May Not Want To Play Football

Adam Gretz Posted Sep 10th 2008 12:35AM by Adam Gretz (author feed)

Filed under: Titans, AFC South

As a person who is roughly the same age as Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young, I can't even imagine what it would be like to step out onto a football field in front of 70,000 screaming, psychotic fans -- and millions more in front of their TV's -- on an NFL Sunday and attempt to play football. Or do anything, for that matter. Honestly, I'd probably wet myself and fall into the fetal position before I even lined up for the first snap.

Some people, however, live for that sort of thing. They thrive on it and elevate their games to an entirely new level. And it's starting to become obvious that Young may not be one of those players.

Jim Wyatt of the Nashville Tennessean has documented the roller-coaster ride that has been Vince Young over the previous 48 hours and points out some rather incredible, and concerning, pieces of information.

As Wyatt reports, a psychologist met with Young at his home on Monday afternoon, before he went missing later in the night, sparking a search from Nashville police.

The Titans had concerns about Young even before late Monday night.

After Young balked at having the MRI on Monday, Fisher went out and talked to him at his Brentwood home, spending over an hour with him. The Titans also sent a psychologist, Dr. Sheila Peters, and Tina Tuggle, the team's Director of Player Development, to meet with Young to try and encourage him.

The psychologist said Young was extremely depressed and expressed concerns to the team about Young's safety. Later, Young left the house and sped off in his Mercedes Benz without his cell phone. He couldn't be found for some time, which prompted a phone call to Fisher.

What makes the entire situation bizarre, is the fact that after the initial reports surfaced that Young went missing and the Titans were concerned, everything was eventually brushed off as a misunderstanding and everything was back to normal. Now, it seems that not only is Young's future with the Titans uncertain, his future as an NFL quarterback may be uncertain.

Even when Young returns from his injury, he might not get his job back.

The Titans believe Young's injury is one that will keep him out anywhere from 2-4 weeks.

Then there's the question about whether Young is interested in returning, something he mentioned to those who were with him on Monday.

"What would you think, if you were tired of being ridiculed and persecuted and talked about and not being treated very well, what would you do? What kind of decision would you make?'' Felecia Young asked. "He may not want to deal with it (all), but you have to get to that point before you make that decision first.

Incredible. And this isn't the first time there have been whispers of Young possibly giving up football. I cringe at the thought of what this guy's psyche would be like if he were playing in a different market. No disrespect to Nashville, Tennessee, but it never really struck me as one of the leagues more intense markets in terms of media and fan scrutiny. I'm sure the media can be tough, and obviously he's been booed, but that happens in every pro city, with every pro team, with just about every player.

It seems to me -- and I could be wrong on this -- that the Titans play second fiddle to Tennessee Volunteers football. If he's struggling to cope with the pressure and boos there, what would he be going through in a city like New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Washington where the football teams are not just another team in the city, but the team?

Whatever is going on in Young's head right now, it seems that it's much bigger than football.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/09/10/vince-young-may-be-extremely-depressed-may-not-want-to-play-f/

Crazy.

I blame what's his name, that guy that always posts threads on how much VY sucks. I bet VY read JN and gave up.

I don't know what job he thinks he can get that is better, even with the criticism. I suppose he probably already made enough to live off of though, especially if he invested wisely or used a good investment planner. He should just stick it out until the Titans give up on him and cut him. Definitely don't quit while you're injured, keep collecting those paychecks!

What he needs to do is go to another team where there are no expectations for him, where he can just be a project, instead of a high draft pick. If he came here for instance, he'd be immune from criticism because Clemens is worse. That's what he should do, find a team with a bust draft pick and try and beat out that bust. The Niners are also an option. Also so is Oakland, not because he will beat out Russell, he won't, but because that franchise is in such a sorry state that nobody will even bother paying attention to him.

Boo effin hoo. The thing that Young can't handle is adversity. He was so used to being superman in HS and college and now finds that success needs to be earned. If he walks away, he will be back quickly after he discovers that $6.85 per hour doesn't buy fancy cars or houses or support 86 family members.

Classless crybaby Young.

Awwww poor little Vincey. The fans are boo'ing me I want to come out of the game. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Grow the F up you over-rated piece of garbage. The Titans are better with Kerry Collins anyway.

fa8f6b914dbaec482a9cfe891f95bb4d.jpg

He even has that dumbass look on his face. Maybe he should team up with Herm.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Don't boo me. I'm soft. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Do the right thing and retire Vince. You suck anyway and your team is much better with Kerry Collins at the helm. Much better. He won't throw more INT's than TD's with this simple to run offense.

I think the media was plenty interested in Leinart's (legal) extracurricular activities while he was sucking on the field. The media was all over Pennington for being a whining bitch after his "privilege" speech to beat writers. Favre took more than a little criticism for his very legal request to play football again. There is no shortage of further examples.

High profile players will always be under more scrutiny than low-profile players. Beyond that, people see what they want to see. Some justified, some not.

I think the media was plenty interested in Leinart's (legal) extracurricular activities while he was sucking on the field. The media was all over Pennington for being a whining bitch after his "privilege" speech to beat writers. Favre took more than a little criticism for his very legal request to play football again. There is no shortage of further examples.

High profile players will always be under more scrutiny than low-profile players. Beyond that, people see what they want to see. Some justified, some not.

yeah I guess there are more rival fans than team fans so the media plays to the masses.

kinda like news I guess. the bloodier & gory, the better the story

not sure he's clinically depressed there alk. jeez. he's down after being booed & injured & media is all over him

"The psychologist said Young was extremely depressed and expressed concerns to the team about Young's safety. Later, Young left the house and sped off in his Mercedes Benz without his cell phone. He couldn't be found for some time, which prompted a phone call to Fisher."

That's good enough for me. There's clearly something not quite right up there. But by all means lets chop him down so we can feel better about ourselves. Then when nobody does anything and they find him dead we can all kick back and laugh.

my "writing and reporting for the media" teacher was DISGUSTED at the vnce young report

he could care less about sports, but he knows what is real "news" and what's BS

yeah its hard to do that WITHOUT bullets :rolleyes:

quit with the sarcasm jackass. with all the NFL players getting capped these days it's a non story.

No scarcasm involved nimrod. Think for yourself and don't echo the opinion of some ultra left wing college professor. Depressed guy + gun = story whether they found bullets or not.

Oh, boo ****ing hoo. "Waaaaaah, I suck at pro QB and everyone is so mean to me by putting me on the Madden cover and giving me 100% credit for my team having a top five defense and giving me rookie of the year awards that I didn't earn! Waaaaah! I want to quit!".

Oh, boo ****ing hoo. "Waaaaaah, I suck at pro QB and everyone is so mean to me by putting me on the Madden cover and giving me 100% credit for my team having a top five defense and giving me rookie of the year awards that I didn't earn! Waaaaah! I want to quit!".

YOU! It was you! He read your posts and got depressed!

Yeah, but they don't go on and on about how stupid those other players are or anything like that, that crosses into personal insults. Marino and quite a few other QBs had low wonderlic scores, but they never had the same type of attacks that VY has had.

I always thought to myself if I ever became a famous athlete or something, I'd just not read anything or watch anything that could be related to me. I wonder if that's really possible though. Well, I'll never know anyway.

Also to the guy that was talking about black QBs, I think that's not necessarily true. The media LOVED Leftwich, and he BLOWS. The media is also very firmly behind Garrard. I think Vick got a ton of support even, and I always thought he sucked too. It wasn't until the whole dog fight thing that he fell from stock.

McNabb takes a ridiculous amount of heat though oddly. Even though he is better than the rest of those QBs combined. But half that criticism is from other black players/journalists. The other half is from Limbaugh, who physically makes up that half, and apparently got quickly fired because pretty much everyone realized that he was an idiot full of ****. It's too bad it's harder for people to understand how wrong he is about everything else too, you get something blatantly wrong about football and you get nailed for it, you get it wrong about politics or social stuff, and you're "controversial."

I don't think it's a race thing though as I said. It's just some people get picked on. Like Chris Simms, he seems to be a target too. And Jeff Garcia.

Archived