AJ Burnett, Yankees agree on 5 year deal.

Barton

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3765754

Free agent right-hander A.J. Burnett has reached preliminary agreement on a five-year, $82.5 million contract with the New York Yankees, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

-------

This move seems so dumb that it will probably surprise and end up working out ok.

Not the biggest fan of this sigining (because of health concerns)...but, let's hope for the best...I cannot say enough how glad it's not my money.

Free agent right-hander A.J. Burnett has reached preliminary agreement on a five-year, $82.5 million contract with the New York Yankees, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

-------

This move seems so dumb that it will probably surprise and end up working out ok.

I'm with the fans that is just in love with his "stuff".

But I'm sure we'll get like 6 games out of him this year, just shades of Wright, Brown, Pavano all over again to me.

-------

I know-he did diddly except agasisn the Yanks and Sawx and he's hurt all the time.

All I know in those games vs. the Yanks-he throws 97, strikes people out, challenges hitters and gives you an effort every time out.

I like it. Lowe would've been cool, and Sheets' inijury history made him iffy at best. If Peavy shakes loose, wonderful. But the Yanks have remade the rotation for the better at 1 and 2.

Hopefully no one is searching for this post come August.

Your gonna jump all over him that quickly? Hopefully your wrong...

Agreed. His injury history scares me but from everything I've heard he's learned to "pitch" more rather then "throw". Heard an interview with Al Leiter who is supposedly very close with Burnett and he thinks he's learned how to pitch and keep his body healthy. The guy undoubtedly has nasty stuff. IMO Yanks management saw a higher ceiling with him and saw him as a #2 type starter that can throw in the #3 spot. JMO.

So here is the Rotation so far:

1) CC Sabathia

2) CM Wang

3) Joba Chamberlain

4) A.J. Burnett

5) Phil Hughes.

Next the Yankees will look to bump Hughes out of the 5-spot with either Pettitte or Sheets. Either way, Hughes is your hedge against an injury in that rotation. IPK will be around if things get really bad.

1) CC Sabathia

2) CM Wang

3) Joba Chamberlain

4) A.J. Burnett

5) Phil Hughes.

Next the Yankees will look to bump Hughes out of the 5-spot with either Pettitte or Sheets. Either way, Hughes is your hedge against an injury in that rotation. IPK will be around if things get really bad.

Sounds good... All the yanks need are Tex and we got the next 5 world series.

Congrats. Very nice signing if he stays healthy and focused. I think he has a big year.

If they go add Sheets that would be a sick rotation.

I am shocked though to hear Cashman the other day say as of now Hughes is not in their rotation plans.

The much heralded youth movement lasted 1 season I guess SP wise but the pen does have some young arms.

IMO I would have been ok with CC and some bats and went with Hughes and Aceves in the 4-5 SP spots. Probably would have needed another SP signing though do to the innings restrictions the Yanks will likely still place on Hughes and Joba.

1) CC Sabathia

2) CM Wang

3) Joba Chamberlain

4) A.J. Burnett

5) Phil Hughes.

Will Joba be on a innings limit?

Congrats. Very nice signing if he stays healthy and focused. I think he has a big year.

I am shocked though to hear Cashman the other day say as of now Hughes is not in their rotation plans.

The much heralded youth movement lasted 1 season I guess SP wise but the pen does have some young arms.

IMO I would have been ok with CC and some bats and went with Hughes and Aceves in the 4-5 SP spots. Probably would have needed another SP signing though do to the innings restrictions the Yanks will likely still place on Hughes and Joba.

I don't think it's "anti" youth movement, I think it's let's remain competitive and let's keep these kids. I would really love to see Phil in the 5 spot, last year it really felt like we had a lot thrown on to those kids. Now if we start trading away the youth then I say we've gotten away from that "movement".

I don't think it's "anti" youth movement, I think it's let's remain competitive and let's keep these kids. I would really love to see Phil in the 5 spot, last year it really felt like we had a lot thrown on to those kids. Now if we start trading away the youth then I say we've gotten away from that "movement".

Maybe but you have to figure the Yanks will eventually wrap up Wang who will want his money after these signings. Same for Joba. So that gives the Yanks only one spot anytime soon available in the rotation unless CC opts out 3 years from now. That is IMO, a far cry from last years Cashman/Hank talk that Kennedy-Hughes-Joba were in their rotation for the next decade.

I would not be suprised to see Hughes dealt in the right deal and I expect Kennedy, Igawa, Aceves etc are all readily available via trade right now. As with Pelfrey the kids can still all turn it around but is there enough room if they do?

Maybe but you have to figure the Yanks will eventually wrap up Wang who will want his money after these signings. Same for Joba. So that gives the Yanks only one spot anytime soon available in the rotation unless CC opts out 3 years from now. That is IMO, a far cry from last years Cashman/Hank talk that Kennedy-Hughes-Joba were in their rotation for the next decade.

I would not be suprised to see Hughes dealt in the right deal and I expect Kennedy, Igawa, Aceves etc are all readily available via trade right now.

Well we'll see, for now the truth is Joba can STILL be a set-up man for this year which could open up a #5 spot to Hughes. I disagree with the fact that Hughes is a "readily" available commodity, I think we'd have to have a pretty good deal in order to trade him away. Aceves... ehhhh... I'm not so sure. I think this is why ideally we want Andy, Sheets, Lowe, in that order due to the time. I think Burnett will be done in 2-3. But we'll see, I do hope they keep these kids in the farm system.

Well we'll see, for now the truth is Joba can STILL be a set-up man for this year which could open up a #5 spot to Hughes. I disagree with the fact that Hughes is a "readily" available commodity, I think we'd have to have a pretty good deal in order to trade him away. Aceves... ehhhh... I'm not so sure. I think this is why ideally we want Andy, Sheets, Lowe, in that order due to the time. I think Burnett will be done in 2-3. But we'll see, I do hope they keep these kids in the farm system.

Right, that's what I said. I hope they don't juggle Joba again this season but you are right in that if he hits a inning limit he can go down to the pen.

Where is the recession 160 million and now 80 million? Makes regular people resent ballplayers when they get this type of money and who can blame them when you are struggling and feel lucky to have a job.

Hey, the way I look at it, anyone who complains about the money entertainers (and sports is definitely in the entertainment business) get should maybe look into the business themselves. It ain't easy or we'd all be doing it and the pay would be substantially lower.

Right, that's what I said. I hope they don't juggle Joba again this season but you are right in that if he hits a inning limit he can go down to the pen.

Yea sorry, I didn't read it thoroughly enough. Yea I want them to STICK to what they choose from the get go with him. If they say bullpen, then bull pen all year, if starter, starter all year.

I'm with the fans that is just in love with his "stuff".

But I'm sure we'll get like 6 games out of him this year, just shades of Wright, Brown, Pavano all over again to me.

Yeah I have a bad feeling as well. I hope I am wrong but that is a really big contract for someone who before this year had a career record of .500.

Two 200 + inning years in his career.

Cashman pulling the trigger on another pitcher.

Man I hope this works out because if not they are screwed.

Agreed. His injury history scares me but from everything I've heard he's learned to "pitch" more rather then "throw". Heard an interview with Al Leiter who is supposedly very close with Burnett and he thinks he's learned how to pitch and keep his body healthy. The guy undoubtedly has nasty stuff. IMO Yanks management saw a higher ceiling with him and saw him as a #2 type starter that can throw in the #3 spot. JMO.

Well that is encouraging and is hopefully true. I guess there were similar concerns with Leiter at a certain point in time and then he matured and stayed healthy.

That would be a good thing, the alternative isn't something I want to think about with his injury history.

Where is the recession 160 million and now 80 million? Makes regular people resent ballplayers when they get this type of money and who can blame them when you are struggling and feel lucky to have a job.

I don't really see what one has to do with the other. I will never have the skill set to be a MLB pitcher, so we're not competing for the same money anyway. What does Waren Buffet, or Tom Hanks, or George Clooney have to do with folks who are struggling orin need of work? Nothing. If you want, don't go to a ball game, don't go to a movie, etc.

I think the Hughes comments have a lot to do with a change in mentality from the organization. Rather than handing these kids things, they want them to earn it.

Hopefully he puts in his time this offseason and comes to Florida in great shape. Making them earn it isn't a bad thing. I still believe Hughes has a very big upside. As does Joba obviously so they aren't giving up on the kids. Just throwing a few hundred million to pitch around them, lol.

Archived