Shanahan fired/I want Shanahan [Merged eleventy billion times]

jetsman

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in 2006 the Broncos were 7-4 with Jake Plummer at QB Mike Shanahan did the ballsiest thing I've ever seen an NFL coach do-he benched his veteran starter and put in a rookie b/c he figured his team was going nowhere so for the good of the franchise he started developing the future QB....he would do the same with Favre if he started playing the way he played the last 5 weeks. Then again he might not WANT to come back knowing that Shanahan WOULD bench his ass

The big problem is any name head coach comes with baggage. Marty or Shanny wont get fans excited for the future of the team. They need a dynamic, hard nosed coach they can get behind. Someone to hitch the wagon to. And there arent too many of them outside of Ryan and Spagnuolo. Are either the right choice? I dont know. But Woody and Co. will sign someone to be the face of the franchise along with Favre.

And even IF thats true, which it isn't, what has Shanahan done since his great, top 5 all time Quarterback? What? Tell me, what? Just answer that. Don't bring up Marty's failures in the postseason, just tell me that. Thats what I want to know. That is what matters when you talk about Fraudahan. What has he done without an all time great leading the controls.

He wins games consistently. And has won playoff games and two Super Bowls. He upset the Packers in 97 in the Super Bowl.

Yeah he had Terrell Davis, who was A 6TH ROUND PICK. He doesnt get credit for developing him?

Get SHanny a solid DC and he's a better choice than Cowher imo. He owns Belly.

you serious???????????????

Dead serious. Elway was nothing special, prior to Shanny. And when comparing him to Marino and Montana, good lord, it isnt even close.

You've been forcefed by ESPN showing the drive against the Browns. Elways numbers wre mediocre before Shanahan.

I'll say this again; Imagine what Shanahan with all his elaborate blocking schemes could turn a Leon Washington (our best offensive threat) into. You think he would have 3 touches a game like he does with Brian Schott? Yea, me neither. We could be looking at a guy who turns into a Terrel Davis or Tiki Barber type GREAT back.

The way he uses his TE's too...Dustin Keller will be a perennial Pro Bowler

He wins games consistently. And has won playoff games and two Super Bowls. He upset the Packers in 97 in the Super Bowl.

Yeah he had Terrell Davis, who was A 6TH ROUND PICK. He doesnt get credit for developing him?

Marty also helped Elway out when he was in Cleveland too. it was against Marty that he completed his historical ''drive'' going 90 something yards in the 86 playoffs. the Jets would have crushed the Broncos in Denver that year.

Marty also helped Elway out when he was in Cleveland too. it was against Marty that he completed his historical ''drive'' going 90 something yards in the 86 playoffs. the Jets would have crushed the Broncos in Denver that year.

And like I said, what was the difference between Kosar and Elway back then? Really nothing.

good stuff in this thread matt39

You know when Belichick said no thanks to being HC of the NYJ the guy I wanted that day was Gary Kubiak, When Al Groh left the guy I wanted was Gary Kubiak, When Herman Edwards left I wanted Gary Kubiak because I saw the way that Denver with their O-lines would always dominate in the run game.

turns out it wasn't Gary Kubiak as evidenced by what he is failing to do in Texas it was Shanahan all along

So we have a coach that a monumnetal collapse this year- I am a expert on those with my Mets-has had mediocre record last three years. Has not ever had a good defense that you need to win a championship if that is our goal/ Also his team has had a rep of being cheap shot artists on the offensive line-going for guys knees. His team could not win a weak AFC West this year.

This is not an endorsement of marty who I would never want.

Jimmy, we don't have the lineman to run a zone blocking scheme. It would take a nice 3, 4 years to get those type of lineman and see all those 1st round draft picks out the door.

A zone blocking scheme would help our lean LT in the running game tremendously and while one of Faneca's strengths is pulling, his skillset would translate to this system as well. The only guy who would be really miscast is Woody.

The biggest problem is that you generally don't look to use a zone-blocking scheme when you've spent a ton of money to assemble a line consisting of four former 1st round picks.

Jimmy, we don't have the lineman to run a zone blocking scheme. It would take a nice 3, 4 years to get those type of lineman and see all those 1st round draft picks out the door.

a good football player is a good football player Joe...and when you get picked in the first round you are a good football player. There's no WAY Brett Favre should have been taking shots every single pass play-short or long like he did this year. Unfortunately I think this whole thread will be a moot point as Jerry Jones sees what Woody doesn't and hires Shanahan before we even set up an interview and we're stuck with a Giants re-tread this time instead of a Pats re-tread...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

124, when was the last time Schottenheimer won a playoff game? He made it to the playoffs 3x in the past 9 years and all of them were 1-and-done. One of them was him blundering the clock vs Denver, one of them was failing to outsmart Herman Edwards armed with an arm-less Chad Pennington, and one where he should have annihilated the Patriots with the league's most dominant team.

The last time a Marty Schottenheimer team won a playoff game or made it as far as the conference championship game was in the 1993 season when you were 5 years old. He has never BEEN to a superbowl in 20 full seasons as a head coach, let alone won one.

If you cannot take any of your teams to a superbowl even once in 20 years, become an assistant coach or find something else to do.

So we have a coach that a monumnetal collapse this year- I am a expert on those with my Mets-has had mediocre record last three years. Has not ever had a good defense that you need to win a championship if that is our goal/ Also his team has had a rep of being cheap shot artists on the offensive line-going for guys knees. His team could not win a weak AFC West this year.

This is not an endorsement of marty who I would never want.

hey ya know what I wouldn't mind seeing one of our guys do to say a Vince Wilfork what he has been doing to us the last few years

124, when was the last time Schottenheimer won a playoff game? He made it to the playoffs 3x in the past 9 years and all of them were 1-and-done. One of them was him blundering the clock vs Denver, one of them was failing to outsmart Herman Edwards armed with an arm-less Chad Pennington, and one where he should have annihilated the Patriots with the league's most dominant team.

The last time a Marty Schottenheimer team won a playoff game or made it as far as the conference championship game was in the 1993 season when you were 5 years old. He has never BEEN to a superbowl in 20 full seasons as a head coach, let alone won one.

If you cannot take any of your teams to a superbowl even once in 20 years, become an assistant coach or find something else to do.

he was a great grampa on a TV segment I saw this season...just like me...rooting for the Jets with my grandson on my knee-let him stay home

Thanks Sperm!

Jimmy, we don't have the lineman to run a zone blocking scheme.

Meh, not really. Brick and Faneca would adjust quite quickly, same for Mangold. All 3 are good enough that they'll flourish in any system you put out there, man or zone. Moore's Moore, and Woody isn't in the long term plans anyways.

Doesn't matter though, we're not getting Shanahan and Callahan is going to remain on staff.

Funny story, we were in FL for the Dolphin opener and Savage says out loud in a bar that he misses Sperm (vp of the Curtis Martin fan club). you should have seen the looks he got.

:rl:

Did he try to explain it? To me that would be worse... trying to explain why some guy has a user name of Sperm on a football message board...

Shanahan to jets IMO would be the best move, the O is already geared for the run and we all have seen what he can do with a run offense. How many no name backs have had 1,000 yard seasons under Shanahan? Leon and TJ would dominate with his blocking and play calling. I have no idea why anyone would want Marty, he has been bounced from several teams, that would mean we would have to keep his son...NO thanks. Have we all forgot how awful his play calling was all season already!! Go get a 3/4 DC and let shanahan and calahan handle the O and we are in business.

124 has a hard on for Marty ball. somebody who's never won anything and cant coach under pressure.

Yeah, Mike Shanahan has "won Super Bowls", I guess you could say that, but its more like he was along for the ride.

Lets see... Maybe I can solve this...

Anyone who's been in the league for long enough has both good winning seasons and bad losing ones.

Both coaches would be good for us, and sorry, but Halas, Lombardi, Brown, and Walsh aren't available.

Shanahan to jets IMO would be the best move, the O is already geared for the run and we all have seen what he can do with a run offense. How many no name backs have had 1,000 yard seasons under Shanahan? Leon and TJ would dominate with his blocking and play calling. I have no idea why anyone would want Marty, he has been bounced from several teams, that would mean we would have to keep his son...NO thanks. Have we all forgot how awful his play calling was all season already!! Go get a 3/4 DC and let shanahan and calahan handle the O and we are in business.

I like Marty-he's a Jets fan, but clearly Shanahan is the best guy out there post-Cowher. All I know is one thing; I want a coach that has won something on his own, not an offensive or defensive coordinator, not an Asst. HC, not an O-line coach, not an ex-ball boy, not a Special teams coach, and NOT somebody from the Bill Parcells "tribe"-not this time. We've done that for the past 9 seasons under this owner and look what it's gotten us

I like Marty-he's a Jets fan, but clearly Shanahan is the best guy out there post-Cowher. All I know is one thing; I want a coach that has won something on his own, not an offensive or defensive coordinator, not an Asst. HC, not an O-line coach, not an ex-ball boy, not a Special teams coach, and NOT somebody from the Bill Parcells "tribe"-not this time. We've done that for the past 9 seasons under this owner and look what it's gotten us

Groh is really the only example of that.

Herm had no business getting a HC gig, and Mangini was only slightly more qualified. And most of his qualification was that Bill Belichick had said some nice things about him in the past and promoted him to DC for one season. But then there weren't really any good options that year anyway. At least we didn't let that one drag out for 5 years also.

Ryan and Spagnola have resumes that put Herm's & Mangini's to shame.

Archived