Trade for Lito Sheppard

Ghost

I would absolutely kill for this guy, I think we can get him for maybe a 4th but I'd even offer a 3rd.

I'm tired of this let Lowery learn BS and lets sign a 54 year old CB. Lito Shappard can play and the Eagles are looking to trade him.

One of the surprising aspects of the Eagles' loss to the Cardinals in the NFC Championship game was how far cornerback Lito Sheppard fell on the team's depth chart. Sheppard was demoted to the No. 4 corner and wasn't even part of the dime package (six defensive backs), replaced by rookie safety Quintin Demps, who was beaten on a 62-yard touchdown catch by Larry Fitzgerald. Last year, the Eagles turned down a third-round draft choice from teams interested in Sheppard. This year, they might be fortunate to get a third.

Boston Globe

I would absolutely kill for this guy, I think we can get him for maybe a 4th but I'd even offer a 3rd.

I'm tired of this let Lowery learn BS and lets sign a 54 year old CB. Lito Shappard can play and the Eagles are looking to trade him.

The article you posted says he's fallen on the depth chart and how the Eagles are lucky IF they get a 3rd for him! Do you really want someone on the Downside of their career? I agree about Law, get rid of him!

Coles for Sheppard

Mcnab needs a WR

I would do that. Dump $6M for Coles is the reason. Getting an oft-injured possible career resurrection from a very talented player is gravy. Sheppard would cost $3M (or $3M less than Coles), but we don't have to keep him if he still sucks. If he's salvageable, then we'd be getting a legitimate experienced, starting CB with pro bowl talent.

I would do that. Dump $6M for Coles is the reason. Getting an oft-injured possible career resurrection from a very talented player is gravy. Sheppard would cost $3M (or $3M less than Coles), but we don't have to keep him if he still sucks. If he's salvageable, then we'd be getting a legitimate experienced, starting CB with pro bowl talent.

I agree. I think I'd be more excited to get Coles off the books than I would be to getting Sheppard on our roster, but like you said, it could be a win-win situation.

Can't Coles renegotiate his contract if he's traded? I mean, if he stays here its a $7MM hit, but if he went to Philly (for example) they could sign him to whatever he is willing to play for, right?

Sperm, I think Coles' deal they did last year makes his $6 million salary this year guaranteed. So I think he would count $7 million (along with his $1 million prorated bonus) in dead money against the cap if he was cut. Would that also be true if he was traded? Or could that be passed on to the other team?

Sperm, I think Coles' deal they did last year makes his $6 million salary this year guaranteed. So I think he would count $7 million (along with his $1 million prorated bonus) in dead money against the cap if he was cut. Would that also be true if he was traded? Or could that be passed on to the other team?

Everything's give-and-take. If Coles wants out, to get a new contract, badly enough then he'd redo his deal to get the "guaranteed" portion off. That would likely mean the Jets would have to give him permission to hammer out a new deal with Philly (in this case) prior to getting traded there.

Jets would get Coles off the books.

Coles would get a new long-term deal.

Philly would get a reliable veteran WR they need badly.

Agreed.

I am all for a Coles for Sheppard straight up trade. Get a better player who makes less money. Steal.

Everything's give-and-take. If Coles wants out, to get a new contract, badly enough then he'd redo his deal to get the "guaranteed" portion off. That would likely mean the Jets would have to give him permission to hammer out a new deal with Philly (in this case) prior to getting traded there.

Jets would get Coles off the books.

Coles would get a new long-term deal.

Philly would get a reliable veteran WR they need badly.

Interesting. I agree it would be a good deal for both teams.

Sperm for GM!

Let's cut Lowery a break. He was a rookie and was perfectly fine when our front seven was getting to the quarterback. Not only that but he has Revis on the other side so teams are going to look his way almost immediately so he was forced to cover longer and more often then he should have. Plus his forte is more zone so he did get a little exposed in man. That said I have a lot of faith that his sophomore year will be an improvement.

That said, the Sheppard for Coles trade would be very intriguing. That would almost certainly have us taking Maclin or BAWR in the draft.

Getting rid of Coles for him would be ok I guess but I don't see what the big deal about Sheppard is. If I'm not mistaken, he's never played a full season and why should we be so high on someone who was demoted that far on the depth chart? He's not really that good and he's getting old. I'd rather just trade Coles for a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Maynard, you're absolutely correct that Coles' guaranteed deal would make it $7 million in dead money if cut.

But if he's traded, to the Eagles in this situation, then the Jets would be freed of the $7 million and the Eagles would have to assume the full deal. When a contract is guaranteed any trade acts like a baseball trade.

Thus, for salary cap reasons, the Jets have only 2 viable options with Coles: keep him or trade him.

Let's cut Lowery a break. He was a rookie and was perfectly fine when our front seven was getting to the quarterback. Not only that but he has Revis on the other side so teams are going to look his way almost immediately so he was forced to cover longer and more often then he should have. Plus his forte is more zone so he did get a little exposed in man. That said I have a lot of faith that his sophomore year will be an improvement.

That said, the Sheppard for Coles trade would be very intriguing. That would almost certainly have us taking Maclin or BAWR in the draft.

Lowery, I suppose, could possibly turn into a very good CB eventually. But he's nowhere near Sheppard's league in terms of talent. When healthy (and motivated), Sheppard is a stud/star.

Lowery, I suppose, could possibly turn into a very good CB eventually. But he's nowhere near Sheppard's league in terms of talent. When healthy (and motivated), Sheppard is a stud/star.

I don't think Sheppard has been in Sheppard's league in a few seasons. I agree that Sheppards' talent level is superior but I don't know if that's still the case, plus is that difference worth killing half our WR corp. Rookie WR's are the epitome of the term "crapshoot". I wouldn't mind them going out and getting a McFadden.

I don't think Sheppard has been in Sheppard's league in a few seasons. I agree that Sheppards' talent level is superior but I don't know if that's still the case, plus is that difference worth killing half our WR corp. Rookie WR's are the epitome of the term "crapshoot". I wouldn't mind them going out and getting a McFadden.

You and I will just disagree on that. Coles is a good WR but his baggage will have particular excesses this year if he's not given a long-term deal. He isn't worth $6M and he certainly isn't worth $6M and the disharmony & distraction he'll cause.

You and I will just disagree on that. Coles is a good WR but his baggage will have particular excesses this year if he's not given a long-term deal. He isn't worth $6M and he certainly isn't worth $6M and the disharmony & distraction he'll cause.

I just think there'd be an even bigger setback. We're already questionable at QB and to create that hole at WR. Unless you think Stuckey or Clowney could step up.

I wouldn't be completely heartbroken if it happened though. The logic is understandable.

I just think there'd be an even bigger setback. We're already questionable at QB and to create that hole at WR. Unless you think Stuckey or Clowney could step up.

I wouldn't be completely heartbroken if it happened though. The logic is understandable.

Clearly, the idea would be to replace him with someone better & neither leave a hole nor go into the season with a #5 WR slotted to start opposite Cotchery.

Clearly, the idea would be to replace him with someone better & neither leave a hole nor go into the season with a #5 WR slotted to start opposite Cotchery.

How about make that trade and sign Housh? I'm in!

Other than Housh the only other WR worth making this happen would maybe be Antonio Bryant.

How about make that trade and sign Housh? I'm in!

Other than Housh the only other WR worth making this happen would maybe be Antonio Bryant.

I'm only looking at it from the other way around:

Let's say the Jets had $2M (to make up a number) of cap room for 2009 and Coles is not on the team. I look at it as the Jets would have to move around a lot of cash for future hit to clear up enough space to sign Coles for this season only for $6M. AND after he's here, he'll bitch behind the scenes and to the media as well about how he's not signed here past 2009. And with a new HC coming in, among the last things he needs is Coles whispering to all of the little non-team captains harping on about how "the more things change the more they stay the same" or "new coach, same bull****" from the Jets.

I'd pass. Let him retire to Miami with Pennington. Or he can stay here and shut his trap. He's being paid well enough to shut the hell up in this fan's opinion. And next year he can go wherever his little heart desires. Christ, I didn't realize it was such a sacrifice to play a game & work out & only get paid $6M this year after accruing about $30M before that. Not bad for 10 years' work. I'm sure if he didn't play football for a living, someone else would have paid him just as much for a different job.

This guy ought to visit a cancer ward or a homeless shelter before trying to gain sympathy for "only" getting like $35 million over a 10-year span where he was voted into a single pro bowl team and zero all-pro teams. What an a-hole. And I stand by that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Lowery & Law would have been even lower on Philly's depth chart. Just a hunch.

That limb would probably break. Lito Sheppard was one of the worst CB's in football in 2007 and started off the year at NB this season only to get demoted. He gave up over 10 yards per play with a 50% success rate against teams third receivers...

The dude's donezo..

Archived