Is Jets' Mark Sanchez example of John Beck Corollary

crashingjet

Interesting article...

But let's think of the ways you could draw up to really screw up a quarterback. First of all, put him in New York as the supposed savior. Check. Second, have his starting experience consist of 16 games in college. Check.

No experienced quarterback around him to learn? Check.

Rookie coach who's already talked of making the playoffs? Check.

The GQ shoot fits into that. One of Bill Parcells quarterback commandments is, "Don't be a celebrity quarterback.".*

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2009/05/jets_mark_sanchez_as_david_has.html

I only brought it up because there were some valid questions and observations raised in the blog, and I thought some of my Jets friends would like to debate the thought process that involves throwing your new rookie QB into a field full of hungry wolves when he clearly isn't ready. It didn't work out well with us doing it John Beck, and I wondered if some here had the same concerns as me.

That is a very foolish blog "article". First off he's not the savior, second he has a good team around him unlike what john beck had to work with. Third, john beck was a 2nd rd pick, sanchez top 5. A better Beck comparison would be to Chad henne anddoes this writer know Parcells' only good QB was a guy drafted for him? Bledsoe was an overrated, mediocre QB, groh drafted Chad, he got lucky w/ Romo who still has as many playoff wins as I have. Also, Sanchez does have a former vet QB to tutor him as his QB coach in Matt Cavanaugh.

Why do dolphin fans think Parcells is some personnel Guru? He was a great coach but medicore GM. He's won ONE playoff game in years he has picked players(1998).

I don't usually reply to blogs like this, but I couldn't help myself. Here were my comments that I posted to this guy's blog:

RLOLx5. Did the headline seriously compare a crappy prospect like John Beck to Mark Sanchez because of a GQ shoot done three months ago? Seriously?

And Dolphin fans talking trash about the Jets? Did the first victory against the Jets since 2005 give you guys inflated confidence? "OH GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!"

Enjoy it while you can Fin fans. Wake me when Pennington is able to beat a good defense. 5-11 for the Phins this year. Back to life, back to reality.

I don't usually reply to blogs like this, but I couldn't help myself. Here were my comments that I posted to this guy's blog:

RLOLx5. Did the headline seriously compare a crappy prospect like John Beck to Mark Sanchez because of a GQ shoot done three months ago? Seriously?

And Dolphin fans talking trash about the Jets? Did the first victory against the Jets since 2005 give you guys inflated confidence? "OH GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!"

Enjoy it while you can Fin fans. Wake me when Pennington is able to beat a good defense. 5-11 for the Phins this year. Back to life, back to reality.

Christian bale FTW

That is a very foolish blog "article". First off he's not the savior, second he has a good team around him unlike what john beck had to work with. Third, john beck was a 2nd rd pick, sanchez top 5. A better Beck comparison would be to Chad henne anddoes this writer know Parcells' only good QB was a guy drafted for him? Bledsoe was an overrated, mediocre QB, groh drafted Chad, he got lucky w/ Romo who still has as many playoff wins as I have. Also, Sanchez does have a former vet QB to tutor him as his QB coach in Matt Cavanaugh.

. He's won ONE playoff game in years he has picked players(1998).

Parcells drafted Pennington, and the only reason Sanchez was a top 5 pick was because the Jets prematurely ejaculated their 2008 draft in the first 20 minutes. Otherwise nobody knows where Sanchez would have gone.

Why do dolphin fans think Parcells is some personnel Guru? He was a great coach but medicore GM

He traded Jason Taylor for a 2nd and a 6th, then, resigned him for the paltry sum of 1.1 mill. Effectively leasing Taylor to the Skins for 2 extra players while lowering his salary 7 mill. He assebled a team that went 1-15 to 11-5 in the matter of one season earning a playoff spot and we're under the cap. Thats why.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Parcells drafted Pennington, and the only reason Sanchez was a top 5 pick was because the Jets prematurely ejaculated their 2008 draft in the first 20 minutes. Otherwise nobody knows where Sanchez would have gone.

He traded Jason Taylor for a 2nd and a 6th, then, resigned him for the paltry sum of 1.1 mill. Effectively leasing Taylor to the Skins for 2 extra players while lowering his salary 7 mill. He assebled a team that went 1-15 to 11-5 in the matter of one season earning a playoff spot and we're under the cap. Thats why.

Al Groh drafted Pennington, thankfully Parcells allowed groh to draft his own players or we would ahve been stuck w/ the same crappy drafts we had from 1997-1999.

They did a good job getting rid of taylor who has always been overrated. part of the reason he was traded was b/c of his dancing and non committment to football, great job getting a guy like that back in your locker room.

He didn't assemble anything, he was part of a group(I give Irleand most of the credit) that re-tooled and the biggest reason you won 11 games was b/c we gave you Chad for nothing. if he doesn't fall into your lap you win about 6 games.

Again, in years Parcells was picking players he has ONE playoff win. '93-'95 NE, '97-'99 NYJ, '03-'06 Dallas. 10 years, 1 playoff win and if you count last year it's 11 years, 1 playoff win.

I only brought it up because there were some valid questions and observations raised in the blog, and I thought some of my Jets friends would like to debate the thought process that involves throwing your new rookie QB into a field full of hungry wolves when he clearly isn't ready. It didn't work out well with us doing it John Beck, and I wondered if some here had the same concerns as me.

Except, even in his limited exeprience, unlike Beck, Sanchez was actually good in college.

No it's not. In fact it's poorly written and based on a flawed premise:

Beck was the local example of that. He had a terrible team around him. Cam Cameron was in his rookie year as coach. Beck wasn't allowed to work with anything but the scout team for some reason. The experienced mentor, Trent Green, got hurt. The supposed backup, Cleo Lemon, flamed out. Suddenly, Beck was thrown in with no prepping, no team and no chance to succeed.

Sanchez's case is different.

So in other words he's saying: Sanchez's situation is completely different from Beck's but since I cover this atrocious joke of a franchise here in South Florida with it's apathetic, uneducated, embarrassing fanbase I have to somehow tie the archrival's top draft choice in with the ridiculous 27-year-old bust the Dolphins took a couple of years ago. :rolleyes:

Beck was outstanding at BYU. He had an almost 70 completion %.

And that's where the comparison falls flat. While Sanchez only started 1 year, it was for one of the premiere programs in college football. Meanwhile Beck played with a bunch of Mormons.

It is going to be fun to see the big fall this fall!!!:)

It is going to be a lot of fun.

It still cracks me up that Dolphin fans brush of the fact that they hosted San Diego, Seattle, Oakland and San Fran at 1PM EST.

Talk about a gift from the schedule makers.

It still cracks me up that Dolphin fans brush of the fact that they hosted San Diego, Seattle, Oakland and San Fran at 1PM EST.

They're in such denial over it they think it was not an advantage at all.

Terry Bradway got Kerry Rhodes in the 4th round. I guess he's a "personnel guru" too, huh?

Beck was outstanding at BYU. He had an almost 70 completion %.

Google "spread offense." Then Google "pro-style offense."

Let us know if you find anything interesting.

They're in such denial over it they think it was not an advantage at all.

Not to mention the complete domination by the Dolphins in those games :rolleyes:

17-10 over the Chargers

21-19 over the Seahawks

17-15 over the Raiders

14-9 over the 49ers

So much for the "Well, Parcells had that one good draft. Even if it took 4 firsts and a third to get it."

I'd be interested in seeing the links.

for what it's worth I def remember him giving groh the power. This was after the much ballyhooed "groceries" comments, so as a GM, he had to let his HC do the shopping. I even remember tuna saying it was groh's call if he wanted to keep meshawn or trade him.

yeah well when you suck the big one, you get an easy hand!!! dolfags will blow this year. they talkin all that smack. thats why i love ryan and the JETS. all business baby. we'll do our talkin on the field. let everyone else talk smack!!! we'll walk it !!!

Archived