2010 Defense

Ghost

Our defense got a lot better. We now have Cromartie and Kris Jenkins. Dwight Lowery can't cover starters so good think he'll be in the Nickle and Dime packages.

I can't wait to see this defense!!

I just hope the whole thing doesn't revolve around Big Jenks like it tends to do-we actually got better last year without him for some reason-why is that anyway?

Our defense got a lot better. We now have Cromartie and Kris Jenkins. Dwight Lowery can't cover starters so good think he'll be in the Nickle and Dime packages.

I can't wait to see this defense!!

Good point on Lowery. He really isn't as awful as some people say he is, on JN. It's just that he's not meant to be an NFL starting CB. He has shown promise from the nickle and dime spots, making picks, and disrupting plays. I'm fine with Lowery as our third CB.

Hopefully, Rex can put together a rotation for the NT spot with Jenkins, Green, and Pouha, so Big Sexy isn't burnt out by the end of the season, or worse, has another season ending injury.

That said, our defense should be even more exciting in 2010.

I just hope the whole thing doesn't revolve around Big Jenks like it tends to do-we actually got better last year without him for some reason-why is that anyway?

Times like that gets the best out of people. We did great when he came out but Kris Jenkins is a monster. I think we need to limit his plays all season and try to keep him healthy for the post-season. That's my opinion.

Have to keep the big man in the middle healthy - especially at the end of the season.

Wish we had an extra draft pick or two to try and add an big NT prospect.

Even though we have other needs (DE, WR, S) would Tanny consider Mount Cody late in the first round? Let him and Jenks rotate a lot? Imagine Cody and Jenkins lined up next too each on 3rd and short or in goalline siutations? Im sure you would here no complaints from Harris or Scott.

Good point on Lowery. He really isn't as awful as some people say he is, on JN. It's just that he's not meant to be an NFL starting CB. He has shown promise from the nickle and dime spots, making picks, and disrupting plays. I'm fine with Lowery as our third CB.

Hopefully, Rex can put together a rotation for the NT spot with Jenkins, Green, and Pouha, so Big Sexy isn't burnt out by the end of the season, or worse, has another season ending injury.

Howard Green, New York Jets, NFL - CBSSports.com Football

DT Howard Green added depth but was unspectacular. He may not be back. The Jets released Green on Saturday after signing wide receiver Danny Woodhead

I'm a big Lowery critic. I know it was Manning throwing to him, but if you can't cover Garcon, you can't cover many starters in the league.

Hopefully he can be a good nickle and dime back.

Howard Green, New York Jets, NFL - CBSSports.com Football

DT Howard Green added depth but was unspectacular. He may not be back. The Jets released Green on Saturday after signing wide receiver Danny Woodhead

i wouldnt say he was unspectacular...he did his job...Pouha is the one that came out and showed alot of progress though..

I'm a big Lowery critic. I know it was Manning throwing to him, but if you can't cover Garcon, you can't cover many starters in the league.

Hopefully he can be a good nickle and dime back.

Garcon was on the local news yesterday-I didn't know he went to HS 10 minutes away from here at John I Leonard-he was talking to the kids at an assembly

We have no FS, a question mark at 2nd CB (and all corners following Revis for that matter). We lack a natural pass rush from our DEs we have no depth at all. Our DT is an injury waiting to happen every single season. It might get better, but there are still ton of holes to fill.

Garcon was on the local news yesterday-I didn't know he went to HS 10 minutes away from here at John I Leonard-he was talking to the kids at an assembly

Garcon is a great guy. I was just using him as an example.

We have no FS, a question mark at 2nd CB (and all corners following Revis for that matter). We lack a natural pass rush from our DEs we have no depth at all. Our DT is an injury waiting to happen every single season. It might get better, but there are still ton of holes to fill.

I think your being too negative at this point. I know where you're coming from though. Tanny has something up his sleeve. He traded Rhodes after he said he wont, that makes it seem to me like he does have an idea. Antonio Cromartie fits our defense. Press man-to-man coverage. I also can see us signing guys like Jamal Williams for a cheap contract.

OMG. Reading this post you'd think we went 3-13 last year.

We traded away a guy who was benched in favor of Eric Smith at one point last year and got two picks for him.

Settle down Sparky.

2010 Defense: Glaring holes at starting Safety position and 3rd CB.

Cromartie was an awesome pick-up, but now, Tanny giveth and Tanny taketh away. Now we are back to having 2 holes in the secondary.

2010 Defense: Glaring holes at starting Safety position and 3rd CB.

Cromartie was an awesome pick-up, but now, Tanny giveth and Tanny taketh away. Now we are back to having 2 holes in the secondary.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets brought back Donald Strickland, and the Jets are going to make a move for the safety spot. This defense is going to be GREAT next year.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets brought back Donald Strickland, and the Jets are going to make a move for the safety spot. This defense is going to be GREAT next year.

Yeah, great, Donald Strickland, the ****ing paper weight who shows up for half the games, hurt with BS injuries the other half.

Wow. You're making it really difficult for me to stay negative. Is this reverse psychology on your part? If so, it's working.

Eric Smith stepped in at FS and did alright. Guy at least brings the wood.

In the Jets' minds, there's no question at the #2 CB spot right now. They expect Cromartie to step in and play well in their man scheme.

We had no pass rush from our DE's last year (not uncommon in any 3-4 dee), and still managed to have the #1 passing dee in the NFL. If AC can lockdown #2 WR's in man coverage, the pass rush just improved.

We played very well after the injury prone NT got hurt last year, and learned that we have a very serviceable backup in Pouha back there.

Ton of holes? C'mon man.

Part of the reason is Calvin Pace missed the first 4 games and took a couple of games to get back to 100%. By that time, Jenkins went down, so there was a trade off to a degree. Pace is a lot better than people give him credit for.

Also Pouha came on big time. This one gap defense took advatange of his quickness. Now with that valuable experience, and his displayed versatility along the line, they will be able take take more advantage of Pouha coming off the bench.

But make no mistake. If Jenkins is healthy, that will be huge.

It's not a "hole" IMO, unless you're vulnerable at the position. I don't think Eric Smith is all that good but he wasn't getting consistently beaten. If it's upgrading him vs. upgrading DE then I'll take DE. Maybe another CB, if you wanna shift Lowery into safety.

Wow. You're making it really difficult for me to stay negative. Is this reverse psychology on your part? If so, it's working.

Eric Smith stepped in at FS and did alright. Guy at least brings the wood.

In the Jets' minds, there's no question at the #2 CB spot right now. They expect Cromartie to step in and play well in their man scheme.

We had no pass rush from our DE's last year (not uncommon in any 3-4 dee), and still managed to have the #1 passing dee in the NFL. If AC can lockdown #2 WR's in man coverage, the pass rush just improved.

We played very well after the injury prone NT got hurt last year, and learned that we have a very serviceable backup in Pouha back there.

Ton of holes? C'mon man.

Yeah, I'm not too sure how a 3-4 DE is supposed to generate pass rush. In fact, Ellis had 6.5 sacks and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how many 3-4 DEs had more than that. Maybe a handful.

We can upgrade DE at the other side. Maybe someone like a Jenkins (smaller obviously) who can command a double team. If you can get 2 guys on the d-line that command double teams then Ellis and the linebackers would have a field day.

That what he did before he got injured. Jenkins didn't even practice that often to keep him healthy. You can't really do much to prevent the injury he had this past season.

83551308.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548A94DD33A739AF8F1B2ECA2EB25A64906754349873B2BA5ACE30A760B0D811297

Please bring this man in to help our Jenkins and Ellis. We could use some good, young talent on the DL.

Also, this D is not a one gap D, but we already did that last offseason. Like all of the good 3-4 D's it's a D that works off the DLs ability to be big, powerful, and athletic enough to occupy and beat blockers. It's possible to have a D that 2 gaps as well as 1 gaps. To do that requires guys who naturally know how to take on 2 blockers. That's why these DLs are built around guys like Jenkins, Seymour, and Ngata.

I'm going to be patient this offseason, since Tannenbaum has done NOTHING to sway my confidence in him since he took over as GM.

Before this season, we said we were a year away, that we needed ONE MORE solid draft to get where we needed to be, and look where we ended up. # 1 overall defense a year before scheduled.

I'm not saying we don't have holes to fill, but what I AM saying is that it's only March 7th. There are some pretty good safeties in the RFA market and in the draft, and our other needs are all really just "depth" guys at the moment, all of which we CAN fill in this year's draft.

If we're still sitting here wondering who will fill in for Jenkins if he gets hurt, who will lay the wood at FS, and who will our nickle corner be by August, then I'll get a little worried. But even with the talent we have on the roster CURRENTLY, we can be the # 1 defense again with Rex leading us. I have no doubt in that. All this offseason will show is if we are willing to take the steps to become not just an elite defense, but one that could rival the best defenses ever and get us the Lombardi.

I'm going to be patient this offseason, since Tannenbaum has done NOTHING to sway my confidence in him since he took over as GM.

Before this season, we said we were a year away, that we needed ONE MORE solid draft to get where we needed to be, and look where we ended up. # 1 overall defense a year before scheduled.

I'm not saying we don't have holes to fill, but what I AM saying is that it's only March 7th. There are some pretty good safeties in the RFA market and in the draft, and our other needs are all really just "depth" guys at the moment, all of which we CAN fill in this year's draft.

If we're still sitting here wondering who will fill in for Jenkins if he gets hurt, who will lay the wood at FS, and who will our nickle corner be by August, then I'll get a little worried. But even with the talent we have on the roster CURRENTLY, we can be the # 1 defense again with Rex leading us. I have no doubt in that. All this offseason will show is if we are willing to take the steps to become not just an elite defense, but one that could rival the best defenses ever and get us the Lombardi.

Great post, bud! I agree with just about everything.

We already know who fills in for Jenkins, as that would be the same man who did so this year. (Sione Pouha)

We do have to wait and see what we get to replace Rhodes with at FS, and we will add another Cornerback or two, but if the plan is to let Eric Smith and James Ihedigbo compete for that spot in place of Rhodes then that trade is questionable until either proves they are that much better than Rhodes on the field. Both Smith and Ihedigbo can hit, but they're poor in coverage skills. I personally like Ihedigbo, but we'll see what happens.

Archived