The Mike Tannenbaum Appreciation Thread

gangreenman

Gee, remember back four or five years ago, when we were all bashing Woody for not being able to find an actual GM, and instead hiring Bradway's assistant "accountant" instead? Well, Mike Tannenbaum really shut us all of us naysayers up over those four or five years now, hasn't he?

Ever since Tanny took over at GM, we have been one of the best teams at drafting, most active in FA almost EVERY year, and have made some damned good trades. In all my time as a Jets fan, I cant remember a period of time where our GM and management seemed so motivated to field the best team possible year after year. Always changing players, never getting complacent. Nobodies job is entirely safe, and we're looking to upgrade at every position always.

The result? This roster is loaded. Seriously, when have the Jets ever had this much talent on any one of their teams?

At least 12 players have been to at least one pro bowl.

At least 10 players were drafted in the 1st round.

Our coach is probably the best we have had since Bill Parcells short stay...

Its unbelievable to think about it, but Mike Tannenbaum may have been the best hire any Jets Owner has ever made.

I love the organization as a whole.

PSL's aside i think Woody is a great owner who is "Steinbrenner like" in that he will allow his FO/CS to do whatever it takes to put a great football team on the field.

Tanny's moves have been pretty spot on. Love the guy!

I love the organization as a whole.

PSL's aside i think Woody is a great owner who is "Steinbrenner like" in that he will allow his FO/CS to do whatever it takes to put a great football team on the field.

Tanny's moves have been pretty spot on. Love the guy!

+1.

Tanny has shown that he has learned well from all the years working for good football people like Parcell's and Belichick. I think he has proven he is now a "football" guy, not just a glorified accountant.

Good point on Woody, too.

I hate the PSL's ... feel like he's alienated alot of diehards, but as far as the football operation goes, I think he's done a good job putting the organization in the hands of some good football people as well as providing the necessary resources to field a competitive team.

I agree, aside from PSL's, which really arent all that bad... he found a way to get rid of them for the upper bowl... Woody has done a great job with this franchise as well. From opening his wallet and giving Tanny freedom in drafting, trading, and FA.. To building the state of the art Atlantic Health practice facility, to getting the team out to Cortland for TC, limiting some distractions while tapping into the CNY fanbase and market, to the new stadium being built with the Giants... (After trying desperately to get the team its own stadium in the heart of Manhattan...)

Its a new era of JETS football. Been very impressed with management over the past few years...Very happy to be a fan of this organization.

I agree, aside from PSL's, which really arent all that bad... he found a way to get rid of them for the upper bowl... Woody has done a great job with this franchise as well. From opening his wallet and giving Tanny freedom in drafting, trading, and FA.. To building the state of the art Atlantic Health practice facility, to getting the team out to Cortland for TC, limiting some distractions while tapping into the CNY fanbase and market, to the new stadium being built with the Giants... (After trying desperately to get the team its own stadium in the heart of Manhattan...)

Its a new era of JETS football. Been very impressed with management over the past few years...Very happy to be a fan of this organization.

My friends spent the last 10 years dumping on me for being a Jets fan. Now they're suddenly saying things like 'yeah they're going to be good this year' and stuff like that. I hate it. Damn you Mike T!

Lets see how much you gush over T. Baum when Leon's on another team.

LOL. Tanny tried to sign him to a long term deal last offseason... and Leon/Keels refused. Now Leon is recovering from major leg surgery and his future is very uncertain... Especially considering he was a quick and speedy type of player. Now that we have a young starter in Shonn Greene and a reliable vet backup in LT... Why should Tanny dole out a huge offer to Leon when Leon has close to ZERO leverage?

Sorry, thats a ridiculous argument.

When did Leon Washington become Walter Payton?

He's a nice player to have, especially on special teams, but he doesn't make or break this team, in my opinion.

And if he ends up on another team, it will be because he and his agent (and another team) will have overvalued him.

Can you imagine if Tanny had given him $6 million before he got hurt? Turned out Tanny did the right thing by not completely giving in to his idiot agent.

I like Leon ... he's a nice weapon and I hope he's with the Jets this season.

But he is replaceable and definitely not worth the money he's looking for, especially coming off the horrible injury.

How would this change an opinion of Tannenbaum? Not giving in to an overrated 3rd down back/punt returner makes Tanny a bad GM? If Leon is gone this year then we will get a 2nd round draft pick which would only contribute to Tanny's already stellar resume. Every team in the NFL has a Leon Washington, we just tend to think ours is some special phenom. Leon is good at what he does, but he isn't worth the 5 mil a year he was asking for before the injury. He certainly isn't worth it now after the injury. Throw in the fact he'll be 30 in two years and it shows that it makes ZERO sense to give him a long term deal for the money he wants.

When did Leon Washington become Walter Payton?

He's a nice player to have, especially on special teams, but he doesn't make or break this team, in my opinion.

And if he ends up on another team, it will be because he and his agent (and another team) will have overvalued him.

Can you imagine if Tanny had given him $6 million before he got hurt? Turned out Tanny did the right thing by not completely giving in to his idiot agent.

I like Leon ... he's a nice weapon and I hope he's with the Jets this season.

But he is replaceable and definitely not worth the money he's looking for, especially coming off the horrible injury.

the team was in the AFC championship with no contribution from Leon. Argument closed. He is good, yes, not indispensable.

Oh I'm sorry, I was under the impression that Leon was a fan favorite that was drafted by the Jets an d has been pretty darn productive given his limited role.

Leon was offered a contract that he was bargaining between him Keels (agent) and Mike T. Leon wanted Sproles money which was 6 Mil, too much right?.. I agree, Leon wanted 4 or 4.5 and Tanny thought that was too much, thats were the stale mate happened.

Now, Leon has done nothing but contribute to this organization and has been a good soldier through all of this. Leon is a scat back, Punt and K.O return man and has been pretty damn productive given his limited roll in the offense. Like I said on my boards, If Leon had been healthy this season and given the fact we lost a bunch of games with 5 points or less, with Leon Healthy we win atleast 2 to 3 more games due to his K.O returns and big runs from the line of scrimmage. There's not enough value there for you?

Leons injury hurt Mark this past year, it's very comforting for a guy like Mark being a rookie, hitting Leon in the flat on 3rd and 6 and having him turn it into a 1st down.

Leon's value on this board (or lack there of) is really alarming to me.

He doesn't make or break this team at all, he's a component that makes our team considerably better when he plays.

I'm not for giving Leon money at this point, it's a business and giving money to a guy in Leons shoes right now just doesn't make much business sense. However, Leon being a fan favorite and being a Jet through and through is the kind of guy you split hairs with to get something done. You find a way to keep guys like Leon (guys who can't or won't break the bank especially) on the team at all cost.

Obviously IMO.

Oh I'm sorry, I was under the impression that Leon was a fan favorite that was drafted by the Jets an d has been pretty darn productive given his limited role.

Leon was offered a contract that he was bargaining between him Keels (agent) and Mike T. Leon wanted Sproles money which was 6 Mil, too much right?.. I agree, Leon wanted 4 or 4.5 and Tanny thought that was too much, thats were the stale mate happened.

Now, Leon has done nothing but contribute to this organization and has been a good soldier through all of this. Leon is a scat back, Punt and K.O return man and has been pretty damn productive given his limited roll in the offense. Like I said on my boards, If Leon had been healthy this season and given the fact we lost a bunch of games with 5 points or less, with Leon Healthy we win atleast 2 to 3 more games due to his K.O returns and big runs from the line of scrimmage. There's not enough value there for you?

Leons injury hurt Mark this past year, it's very comforting for a guy like Mark being a rookie, hitting Leon in the flat on 3rd and 6 and having him turn it into a 1st down.

Leon's value on this board (or lack there of) is really alarming to me.

He doesn't make or break this team at all, he's a component that makes our team considerably better when he plays.

I'm not for giving Leon money at this point, it's a business and giving money to a guy in Leons shoes right now just doesn't make much business sense. However, Leon being a fan favorite and being a Jet through and through is the kind of guy you split hairs with to get something done. You find a way to keep guys like Leon (guys who can't or won't break the bank especially) on the team at all cost.

Obviously IMO.

I think you need to re-read your original post that we quoted. You claim that if Tannenbaum doesn't keep Leon long term our opinions of how well he has performed at GM would/should change drastically. Like you said, Leon doesn't make or break the team. He's expendable. Now if he wants to be a good soldier and play for a fair dollar contract then that's great. If he gets signed or traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, then that's great as well. The team did not miss him last year at all. He wasn't particularly great at returning kicks last year either and seemed to be affected by the rule change to the wedge. In no way, shape, or form is Leon Washington a guy that wins 2-3 games for us just by having him on the roster. He will be easily reaplced if need be.

I think you need to re-read your original post that we quoted. You claim that if Tannenbaum doesn't keep Leon long term our opinions of how well he has performed at GM would/should change drastically. Like you said, Leon doesn't make or break the team. He's expendable. Now if he wants to be a good soldier and play for a fair dollar contract then that's great. If he gets signed or traded for a 2nd or 3rd rounder, then that's great as well. The team did not miss him last year at all. He wasn't particularly great at returning kicks last year either and seemed to be affected by the rule change to the wedge. In no way, shape, or form is Leon Washington a guy that wins 2-3 games for us just by having him on the roster. He will be easily reaplced if need be.

Good point about the wedge, however in Leon's defense it was a new role and new system. In football it takes time to adjust to somethings and grow accustom.

I'm personally alittle ticked off already with the 2nd round tender for Leon and Leon will be back with the team THIS YEAR but his long term future seems bleak.

What would make me even more frustrated and disgusted with T.Baum would be to let him walk or not match the tender if a team was to pursue him fully knowing L.T is a PSL grab only here for 1 year more then likely. So we lose T.J, sign L.T lose him next year and loose Leon. Then were stuck with just Shonn Greene and Chauncy Washington?, then all of the sudden we NEED another back to compliment Shonn, which we are going to have to do if were not serious about retaining Leon.

The scenario might be O.K with you guys but letting Leon leave N.Y without a fight would disgust me.

Good point about the wedge, however in Leon's defense it was a new role and new system. In football it takes time to adjust to somethings and grow accustom.

I'm personally alittle ticked off already with the 2nd round tender for Leon and Leon will be back with the team THIS YEAR but his long term future seems bleak.

What would make me even more frustrated and disgusted with T.Baum would be to let him walk or not match the tender if a team was to pursue him fully knowing L.T is a PSL grab only here for 1 year more then likely. So we lose T.J, sign L.T lose him next year and loose Leon. Then were stuck with just Shonn Greene and Chauncy Washington?, then all of the sudden we NEED another back to compliment Shonn, which we are going to have to do if were not serious about retaining Leon.

The scenario might be O.K with you guys but letting Leon leave N.Y without a fight would disgust me.

I'm not sure what you mean by "letting Leon go without a fight".

As I said, I like Leon and think he can help the team, but at the end of the day, it comes down to dollars and cents and how Leon values himself, coming off a very bad leg injury, compared to how the Jets value him.

You're original quote was implying that many of us who think Tannenbaum is doing a great job would feel differently if he let Leon Washington walk, and all I'm saying is that I wouldn't.

If Leon Washington is not on the Jets in 2010, it will be for no other reason that he thinks he's worth more than the Jets do, and the Jets felt that he is a replaceable part.

I'll trust their judgement because they are certainly more capable and better equipped to make that assessment than anyone on this board, myself included.

I'm not sure what you mean by "letting Leon go without a fight".

As I said, I like Leon and think he can help the team, but at the end of the day, it comes down to dollars and cents and how Leon values himself, coming off a very bad leg injury, compared to how the Jets value him.

You're original quote was implying that many of us who think Tannenbaum is doing a great job would feel differently if he let Leon Washington walk, and all I'm saying is that I wouldn't.

If Leon Washington is not on the Jets in 2010, it will be for no other reason that he thinks he's worth more than the Jets do, and the Jets felt that he is a replaceable part.

I'll trust their judgement because they are certainly more capable and better equipped to make that assessment than anyone on this board, myself included.

Lets not get things twisted. I happen to love what T. Baum has done, if we get to the next level he could go down as a great one, he sure is building a rapport let he is.

At this point I realize Leon has no value to spark a new contract debate. However, if Leon shows up this year after a broken fibula and tibia and starts returning kicks and causing problems for the opposition and he's not retained as a Jet it would be a hiccup in Tanny's gorgeous resume.

Lets not get things twisted. I happen to love what T. Baum has done, if we get to the next level he could go down as a great one, he sure is building a rapport let he is.

At this point I realize Leon has no value to spark a new contract debate. However, if Leon shows up this year after a broken fibula and tibia and starts returning kicks and causing problems for the opposition and he's not retained as a Jet it would be a hiccup in Tanny's gorgeous resume.

That's a pretty hefty IF..Dont'cha think?

How would this change an opinion of Tannenbaum? Not giving in to an overrated 3rd down back/punt returner makes Tanny a bad GM? If Leon is gone this year then we will get a 2nd round draft pick which would only contribute to Tanny's already stellar resume. Every team in the NFL has a Leon Washington, we just tend to think ours is some special phenom. Leon is good at what he does, but he isn't worth the 5 mil a year he was asking for before the injury. He certainly isn't worth it now after the injury. Throw in the fact he'll be 30 in two years and it shows that it makes ZERO sense to give him a long term deal for the money he wants.

Leon Washington is overrated? SMH

and whose fault will that have been? Leon's and his idiot agent's fault that's who...he should have taken the more than fair deal he was offered last year but he decided to let Keels play hardball-now this is whatcha ya get

How much of a personel guy is Tannenbaum? I've always viewed him as more of a guy that gets the grocery list from the head coach, then goes out and buys the groceries.

I can see what you're saying to a certain extent on Defense. But guys like Favre, Brick, Mangold, and Keller weren't coming from Mangini. Nor do I think Sanchez and Greene were coming soley from Rex. I think it really comes from a combination of the scouting department, Boobway, the HC, and Tanny himself.

Tanny's doing a great job but I think the Jets get too much credit for drafting well. Take away all those free agents they signed and this team does not make the playoffs. Part of the credit has to go to Woody Johnson for opening his wallet.

Signing good FA's is a major part of building a team in today's NFL. You can't build by draft alone anymore.

That being said, are you kidding me about too much credit for drafting well? Please tell us a team(s) that have drafted better since Tanny has taken over?

Excluding last years draft that thus far looks like has netted a franchise QB and starting RB: Revis, Harris, Brick, Mangold, Keller, and LW as an example. All except Keller have been to the Pro Bowl. All except LW have started since their first season (Harris started since mid season rookie year). Revis is the best CB in the game, and Mangold is one of the best, if not the best Center in the game. Any GM would love to have accomplished this much in 3 years.

Signing good FA's is a major part of building a team in today's NFL. You can't build by draft alone anymore.

That being said, are you kidding me about too much credit for drafting well? Please tell us a team(s) that have drafted better since Tanny has taken over?

Excluding last years draft that thus far looks like has netted a franchise QB and starting RB: Revis, Harris, Brick, Mangold, Keller, and LW as an example. All except Keller have been to the Pro Bowl. All except LW have started since their first season (Harris started since mid season rookie year). Revis is the best CB in the game, and Mangold is one of the best, if not the best Center in the game. Any GM would love to have accomplished this much in 3 years.

as I said in the Pats thread about having all those picks I said it has a lot to do with sticking with and developing young players-not just giving up on them. Sione is a perfect example of a guy who would have been cut if not his rookie but his 2nd year up there in NE. The Jets stuck with him and worked with him, believed in him and he turned into a solid and valuable replacement

Have you heard of Vernon Gholston? Don't tell me that was Mangini's fault, if your going to blame Mangini for that than give him the credit for the good picks of that era. They could have taken Jonathan Stewart and been set at RB for years.

Keller has not shown that he was worth trading up for. The Packers took Jordy Nelson with what would have been the Jets pick, I don't see why Keller is any better than Nelson. They took Keller even though he couldn't block and so far he hasn't learned how to do that.

Revis was drafted at 14, you expect players drafted that high to pan out.

Ferguson was not the 4th best player in that draft and the Jets would have done better with Ngata or several other players.

Mangold may be the best center in the game but he is one of the few centers taken in the first round. You expect a player drafted in the first round to pan out.

Anyway, take Faneca and Woody out and the OLine is so bad that the whole offense goes to crap. Take Pace and Jenkins out and the defense is still good, but not elite. This team would not have made the playoffs last year without the owner spending the $$$ on FAs.

Have you heard of Vernon Gholston? Don't tell me that was Mangini's fault, if your going to blame Mangini for that than give him the credit for the good picks of that era. They could have taken Jonathan Stewart and been set at RB for years.

One TRUE bust pick. That's all. I can deal with that. In fact, the year after next I'll give him a pass on another first round bust.

Keller has not shown that he was worth trading up for. The Packers took Jordy Nelson with what would have been the Jets pick, I don't see why Keller is any better than Nelson. They took Keller even though he couldn't block and so far he hasn't learned how to do that.

Oh, so Jordy Nelson is head and shoulders a better player than Dustin Keller? Get real. Both are competent players at their respective positions.

Revis was drafted at 14, you expect players drafted that high to pan out.

If that draft happens again, Revis falls between the first pick and third pick, at worst. That is a steal.

Ferguson was not the 4th best player in that draft and the Jets would have done better with Ngata or several other players.

Mangold may be the best center in the game but he is one of the few centers taken in the first round. You expect a player drafted in the first round to pan out.

So, if a GM drafts someone in the first round and they become the best player at their position in the entire league then... that doesn't say anything at all? So he's kinda damned if he does damned if he doesn't then, right? If Mangold didn't become a premiere player you'd be totally ripping him, but since he did you can't give him any credit at all?

Ngata would have been nice but would you rather have Ngata and.. whoever our awful LT was (Adrien Clark?) or Brick AND Kris Jenkins. And Brick is awesome and was totally worthy of the 4th overall.

D'Brick was a lock for the top 5 and he even got some small (very small) talk as #1 overall. He would have been a top 5 lock if he came out in '05 too. He was arguably the best college LT prospect of the last decade, and it sucks how few people remember that. Ngata was the other big name there with Leinart, but D'Brick was the smartest choice in the end. It was a great long term pick and we don't have to worry about LT for a long time.

Keller's about to be a very, very key receiver in our O IMO...he might be first or second in receptions depending on Edwards' season.

If, for ANY reason, the Jets go 6-10 next year, Tanny goes right back on the chopping block. Such is life in the NFL. Be careful who you put the Superman cape on.

I'm pretty sure that, if the Jets go 6-10, and then to make matters worse there is no football in 2011, we might lose about half our posters here.

Archived