The Dolphins want Leon Washington

Jets Babe

my point is fish wont offer him without a pill cause they know we will counter with a basic non-poisoned offer...

If the Phins offered a poison pill contract for a backup RB that is approaching 30, in addition to giving us their 2nd round pick, the Jets would be the winners in the equation as much as Leon would be. I'd love ot see them scramble to fix their cap situation in 2011 after a mistake like that.

I don't really see any team giving a poison pill up for Leon under his current circumstance. The most likely scenario is that he signs the 2nd round tender in June and he plays 2010 as a contract year.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the Phins offered a poison pill contract for a backup RB that is approaching 30, in addition to giving us their 2nd round pick, the Jets would be the winners in the equation as much as Leon would be. I'd love ot see them scramble to fix their cap situation in 2011 after a mistake like that.

I don't really see any team giving a poison pill up for Leon under his current circumstance. The most likely scenario is that he signs the 2nd round tender in June and he plays 2010 as a contract year.

i agree

I'm just repeating what I heard.

So that's your site? If so please don't take this the wrong way but I find it very hard to believe that you broke a story that's so exclusive that even a couple of days after you broke the story that none of the other accredited sports journalists that cover the NFL have even caught wind of it yet.

It is a fun read though I guess during this time of year when we all are craving anything football related.

So that's your site? If so please don't take this the wrong way but I find it very hard to believe that you broke a story that's so exclusive that even a couple of days after you broke the story that none of the other accredited sports journalists that cover the NFL have even caught wind of it yet.

It is a fun read though I guess during this time of year when we all are craving anything football related.

I have never passed along false information from my sources on this site...just search my old posts...

LOL! we did just sign and RB 3 years older then Leon.. :rolleyes:

OY!

my sources tell me that Leon LOVES being a Jet. I also heard that he wasnt offered $5mill last year like was being reported..

anyway.. everyone here knows how i feel..

i would HATE it if Leon went to the phins... that would be hard for me..

i want to see him back in green and white.. and i want him to disprove the haters.

of course that means the offensive genius ( :rolleyes:) schotty will actually have to play him.

OY!

I love Leon. But comparing him to LT is not right. LT is not going to be here for awhile. Leon Washington wants a contract that would probably keep him here for about 4-6 years. He'll hit the 33-35 age mark.

I want Leon, but he doesn't deserve a contract extention.

I love Leon. But comparing him to LT is not right. LT is not going to be here for awhile. Leon Washington wants a contract that would probably keep him here for about 4-6 years. He'll hit the 33-35 age mark.

I want Leon, but he doesn't deserve a contract extention.

You could say that Leon getting a new extension doesn't make logistical or financial sense at this point in time, but there are few Jets that deserve an extension more than Leon. He has taken over games for this team, and all the while getting paid the NFL equivalent of peanuts for his efforts.

Here's a news media outlet confirming that Washington has fielded calls from Miami, New England, and San Francisco.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/bos_the-florida-times-union-jacksonville-gene-frenette-column-channel-that-john-daly-aggression-828151.html

These rumors don't come out of thin air, folks. They're from reliable sources...and when I say sources, I mean team officials, player agents, PR people, someone close to the organization or the player itself.

Did I ever fail you guys when I reported the Mark Sanchez trade-up?

Or the Kerry Rhodes rift?

Or when I said that Rhodes will NOT be on the team next year, guaranteed?

Or when I said on twitter months ago that I heard McNabb will be traded?

I'm pursuing a full-time career in professional sports media, and I would never publish something and put my name on the line if there is false information out there. I'm a student of journalism and ethics, and I could never bring myself to make up stories/sources.

Here's a news media outlet confirming that Washington has fielded calls from Miami, New England, and San Francisco.

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/bos_the-florida-times-union-jacksonville-gene-frenette-column-channel-that-john-daly-aggression-828151.html

I believe you, but couldn't that "source," be a liar? Someone maybe trying to create a market for Leon?

And you say that the Jets will match any AFCe offer, too, right? What kind of source do you have on that one? I'd really think the Jets would take the pick.

I believe you, but couldn't that "source," be a liar? Someone maybe trying to create a market for Leon?

And you say that the Jets will match any AFCe offer, too, right? What kind of source do you have on that one? I'd really think the Jets would take the pick.

Again, other media outlets have reported that LW has fielded calls from the Dolphins, Patriots, and 49ers. Dolphins are just most interest in acquiring.

The only person who would be trying to create a market for Leon would be Keels, and I don't talk to Keels.

I also think that the Jets would take the pick, if the offer sheet it too ridiculous to match. If it's reasonable, they'll match. Source said : "At the end of the day no way the Jets let him go within the division"

I asked, what if the Dolphins offer big money?

Source said: "They won't, no team will, he can't even pass a physical yet."

Washington isn't really too happy about the situation with the Jets, they told him that they're loyal to him being one of their 1a/1b running backs, and now they want to give LT 15 touches a game. There's no place for him. He doesn't want to be with the team now, that's why he's rehabbing in FL, to basically stick it to the Jets.

With McCluster and Best available for 500k-1mil per year in round 2 and 3, who would any team give up a second round pick for Leon when they can get the same type of player who is 7 years younger for cheaper?

There is no market for Leon Washington. I dont buy any of this doodoo at all. Me thinks its posturing. The guy hasnt even proved he can walk with pads on let alone run. His whole game is predicated on speed an ability to cut. Nobody knows if he can do that anymore.

And furthermore, he's got no control of the situation. What is going to sit out? That will certainly help his hunger for the $$$.

Again, other media outlets have reported that LW has fielded calls from the Dolphins, Patriots, and 49ers. Dolphins are just most interest in acquiring.

The only person who would be trying to create a market for Leon would be Keels, and I don't talk to Keels.

I also think that the Jets would take the pick, if the offer sheet it too ridiculous to match. If it's reasonable, they'll match. Source said : "At the end of the day no way the Jets let him go within the division"

Washington isn't really too happy about the situation with the Jets, they told him that they're loyal to him being one of their 1a/1b running backs, and now they want to give LT 15 touches a game. There's no place for him. He doesn't want to be with the team now, that's why he's rehabbing in FL, to basically stick it to the Jets.

With McCluster and Best available for 500k-1mil per year in round 2 and 3, who would any team give up a second round pick for Leon when they can get the same type of player who is 7 years younger for cheaper?

The quick answer is that being the same type of player does not equal being the same caliber of player.

And I'd be shocked if the Jets (read: Tannenbaum) would turn down a 2nd round pick to keep a 3rd down back for one additional season. And that's even if it means him going to the Dolphins or Patriots. Miami, in particular, owns the #43 pick. I can't see them giving that up for Leon. Now whether the Jets would be willing to part ways with him to send Leon to Miami for their 3rd round pick (#73) is a different question.

If you accept as fact that the Jets are not offering Leon a long-term deal, then any offer the Jets turn down is essentially trading that offered pick away for one more season of Leon as the 3rd down back and KO returner. If the Jets had the #43 pick, would they trade it to the Dolphins so they could retain the rights to Leon Washington? No. The #73 pick? No. So why keep Leon if you wouldn't trade that pick to get him for another season if he was already gone?

Okay, it sounds as if you're saying your source -or one of them- is with the Jets? If that's true, where would the Jets be getting info that NE, Miami, and SF have talked to Leon? Keels, right?

See what I mean?

I'm not questioning you or your source, just the conclusion.

If he's not worth the money, he's not worth the pick, either.

If Leon no longer wants to be with the team, I think the Jets will let him walk. I can't really see them passing up the second round pick, even if it were to come from an AFCe team. That's just too juicy in this draft. If Leon can't sign an offer sheet, I could see the Jets trading his rights for a 3rd round pick - or some other low pick/2011 conditional combo. All for the same reasons you suggest that a team wouldn't trade for him, I don't think the Jets would pass up a trade.

I can see Parcells wanting him as a kick and punt returner and a situational back. Where exactly is Leon's touches coming in the Miami backfield? If he isn't happy with the Jets giving carries to Tomlinson why would he be happy with Miami giving touches to Ricky Williams who can do everything that Tomlinson can do only at a higher level both running and catching the ball?

I can think of a pretty good reason.

I hear this **** a lot around here. Talk about counting your chickens. Everybody says the problem with the NFL is that unproven rookies come out of the draft and get paid more than established veterans and here you all are saying you'd be better off having a 3rd rounder than a player who has proven that he can get it done in the NFL.

Sure you can end up with a player as good as Leon in the 2nd or 3rd round. You can also end up with Glen Coffee, Mike Goodson, Tony Hunt, Lorenzo Booker, Garrett Wolfe or Kenny Irons.

I can think of a pretty good reason.

I hear this **** a lot around here. Talk about counting your chickens. Everybody says the problem with the NFL is that unproven rookies come out of the draft and get paid more than established veterans and here you all are saying you'd be better off having a 3rd rounder than a player who has proven that he can get it done in the NFL.

Sure you can end up with a player as good as Leon in the 2nd or 3rd round. You can also end up with Glen Coffee, Mike Goodson, Tony Hunt, Lorenzo Booker, Garrett Wolfe or Kenny Irons.

Your argument is flawed. What leon has done in the past is no guage of future performance. LW is riskier than a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick at this point.

Good chance he will be unable to play at his previous level and even if he does the risk for re-injury is high.

First off football rivalry aside I wish you nothing but the best in your endeavor to pursue a career as a sports journalist or any other profession you may choose.

Let me ask you though why didn't you include the bold Q&A above to your original story. I would think that that one question and answer would have shed more light on the topic than anything else that has been mentioned. :cheers:

another interesting read... i have always believed that Leon wouldnt have turned down $5million, that just doesnt make any sense.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/03/31/tjb-exclusive-jets-max-offer-to-leon-was-2-4-million-last-year/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

TJB Exclusive: Jets Max Offer Extension to Leon was $2.4 Million per Year

Posted on March 31st, 2010 by Bassett

leon_washington-420x310.jpg

According to a source close to Leon Washington that talked exclusively to TheJetsBlog.com, it

Your argument is flawed. What leon has done in the past is no guage of future performance. LW is riskier than a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick at this point.

Good chance he will be unable to play at his previous level and even if he does the risk for re-injury is high.

How a player performed in the past is a pretty good gauge of future performance. Sure he is coming off a serious injury, but I have heard varying reports of how likely a full recovery would be. It doesn't matter what you or I think about his potential recovery, it only matters what the team looking to make an offer thinks.

another interesting read... i have always believed that Leon wouldnt have turned down $5million, that just doesnt make any sense.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/2010/03/31/tjb-exclusive-jets-max-offer-to-leon-was-2-4-million-last-year/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

TJB Exclusive: Jets Max Offer Extension to Leon was $2.4 Million per Year

Posted on March 31st, 2010 by Bassett

leon_washington-420x310.jpg

According to a source close to Leon Washington that talked exclusively to TheJetsBlog.com, it

Archived