Dez Bryant forgets to bring his cleats to his Pro Day

dolphann4life

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/30/dez-bryant-forgot-his-cleats/

Dez Bryant forgot his cleats

Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2010 3:01 PM ET

As it turns out, Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant showed up on time for his Pro Day workout.

His cleats, however, didn't make the trip.

We're told that Bryant forgot to bring his cleats, and that as a result he had to wear a pair of brand-new shoes, which had not properly been broken in.

As a result, Bryant was slipping, as NFLN's Mike Mayock pointed out when discussing the workout on the air.

Per a league source, at least one team measured Bryant's times in the 40-yard dash at 4.57 and 4.62 seconds, within the 4.52 to 4.68 range reported by NFL.com. He presumably would have run faster, but for the slipping.

Ok this guy has to know all the talk of him being a risk and on the most important day of his life from a business standpoint, he has a chance to showcase his talents and he forgets to bring his cleats? This guy is a joke.

As it turns out, Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant showed up on time for his Pro Day workout.

We're told that Bryant forgot to bring his cleats, and that as a result he had to wear a pair of brand-new shoes, which had not properly been broken in.

As a result, Bryant was slipping, as NFLN's Mike Mayock pointed out when discussing the workout on the air.

Per a league source, at least one team measured Bryant's times in the 40-yard dash at 4.57 and 4.62 seconds, within the 4.52 to 4.68 range reported by NFL.com. He presumably would have run faster, but for the slipping.

Ok this guy has to know all the talk of him being a risk and on the most important day of his life from a business standpoint, he has a chance to showcase his talents and he forgets to bring his cleats? This guy is a joke.

He forgot his cleats, so he ran a slow 40. I got a feeling this guy's going to be around when we pick.

More about Dez Bryant's Pro Day

Bryant has so-so workout

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 30, 2010 2:05 PM ET

Maybe you can scratch Dez Bryant off the Raiders' wish list after all.

Bryant ran the forty in 4.52, 4.68, and 4.52, according to NFL.com. Bryant was asked to run a third time because of the discrepancy in the times. He jumped 38 inches on his vertical leap and jumped over eleven feet on his broad jump, which is a huge number.

He wasn't able to finish the three-cone drill and short shuttle, which perhaps indicates a lack of work preparing for the pro day. His hands reportedly looked good.

Mike Mayock said he was surprised by the slow forty times. He appears to play faster on tape.

The problem for Bryant is that Adam Schefter tweeted that Bryant ran a 4.32 last week, creating high expectations. Larry Fitzgerald ran a similar time a few years ago, but didn't have the same off-field concerns.

Mayock said "more questions than answers" came out of the workout.

Permalink 31 Comments Latest stories in: Latest News and Rumors, NFL Mobile Exclusives - Rumors, Top Stories

He forgot his cleats, so he ran a slow 40. I got a feeling this guy's going to be around when we pick.

I got a feeling that the 'forgot my cleats' excuse is probably a result of Dez Bryant running slow 40s before his Pro Day, and now he's trying to salvage his draft value. I still doubt he's there at 29, though.

Not sure of the story, but maybe he was under the impression that he wouldn't be running the 40?? Doubtful, but maybe he just didn't plan on it.

I remember a few years ago when Calvin Johnson was at the combine, he didn't plan on running the 40 and than borrowed a buddy's cleats and ran his 4.3 40. If I recall, there were some rumors initialy that he forgot his cleats, but than the real report came out.

So I dunno, ya it shows lackadaisicalness, but it's hardly something that takes away from his absolutely elite game tape. One side of the argument is on the most important day of your life, you shouldn't forget anything, which I agree with. The other hand, on the most important day of his life, he could be insanely nervous or just flat out absent minded. I remember on the day of my MCATs I almost forgot my ID...so, bottom line I guess, is that it's hardly a deal breaker to me and I could think of a dozen things worse than forgetting his cleats.

And as for his dedication to the sport, he's kept himself in impeccable condition and hasn't let himself go, so there's clearly some dedication there.

:bwahaharoll:

In the top 10 nonetheless.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with kids like this. All the talent in the world and their head up their ass. Dumb ****.

I dont want Dez Bryant at all.

No way 'Fins take him top 10...

Only a punt returner warrants a top 10 pick in their eyes...

Dez can catch...

Would love to see a team consisting of Dez, Rickey, and Ronnie...Three Stooges anyone? High, Drunk and Dumb?

it's such a BS thing to say... could you imagine telling the Tuna or Holmgren or some other grumpy power broker stuck in Lufton Ok that you forgot your shoes?

it would be one thing is this were the only incident

this is a trend

Bryant hasn't played football since the 3rd week in September. He's been suspended all year. He didn't run at Indy. He moved his pro day. He showed up at Pac Man's pro day... and now he forgot his shoes.

long story short the internetz has alot more sympathy for the "i forgot my shoes" routine than the NFL is going to be.

He made a mistake, you act like you have never forgotten anything in your life.

This mistake is equivalent to forgetting a pencil for your SAT's...

The charts for your big presentation at work...

Your helmet on your motorcycle...

Your cup for your boxing match...

The combine is the most important day of any collegiate player, and for him to forget the most essential item needed is a HUGE red flag...

IRRESPONSIBLE...

Even if he turns out to be a great pro, whatever...

The man hangs out with Pac Man Jones...that alone is a HUGE red flag...

What happens when he forgets his playbook?

Or forgets to run a certain pattern, then causing an INT, then what?

It is 100% drop dead pure comedic gold to see people calling him an "idiot." Haha, seriously, it's pathetic. How does that make him an idiot? Every time you forget your phone or your keys or your butt plug or what the **** ever it is you guys carry around with you, I hope someone is there to remind you how stupid you are.

He's got Terrell Owens type of talent so I hope we take this "idiot" at pick 12 so he can torch Revis for years.

It is 100% drop dead pure comedic gold to see people calling him an "idiot." Haha, seriously, it's pathetic. How does that make him an idiot? Every time you forget your phone or your keys or your butt plug or what the **** ever it is you guys carry around with you, I hope someone is there to remind you how stupid you are.

He's got Terrell Owens type of talent so I hope we take this "idiot" at pick 12 so he can torch Revis for years.

Yes. Because Revis got torched by guys like Andre Johnson and Randy Moss. I think he's worried about Dez Bryant for sure. :yes:

I agree.

It's almost as laughable as thinking someone could possibly torch Revis.

agreed, he won't be there for us. and I do think the phins are going to look at wr hard or replacement for taylor if they don't resign him. If he did happen to fall waaaay down to us, as much I don't care for him as a player, I'd say you have to take a risk and take him.

As for him forgetting his cleats. yes, I've forgotten plenty of things. but not the most important thing on the most important days of my life. i don't think he's a thug or idiot. just a little absent minded.

Who are you kidding? At 12? Miami would never do such a thing...

I see them trading into the top 10 and taking this guy...it would go perfect with your draft history(Ginn) by making ST a top ten pick....

display_image.jpg

Cleats not exactly comparable...

Forgetting your cleats = Forgetting your resume` on a job interview...Same thing...

wouldnt it be great if a quarterback could throw a bunch of interceptions... show up to the press conference and say "i made a mistake. you act like you have never..."

the NFL does not like excuses

If you are a professional athlete and you forget your cleats at your proday, you are an idiot.

Its like being a plumber and forgetting your tools.

Archived