Jay Feely is gone to the Cardinals...

gg

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a kicker. :rolleyes:

So was Doug Brien. Feely missed a couple kicks too, but that doesn't change the fact that it's foolish to say a kicker isn't important. When you're real close, small things like kickers make the difference. Not saying letting Jay go is that...just sayin'.

Its like I used to say to all those that defending the selection of Mike Nugent way back when... you can get a good kicker off the street.

You don't draft a kicker.

You don't overpay for a kicker (unless his name is Vinatieri, who coincidentally was signed off the street, but the guy is to the Pats what Babe Ruth was to the Red Sox - Pats w/ Vinatieri, 3 rings - Pats w/o Vinatieri, 1 ring for the COLTS!)

We've got Folk, we will probably sign a couple street kickers to compete with him... but lets not over-credit Feely. He was a good kicker, but hardly irreplaceable.

Feely was better than Pat Leahy.

I'd assume Feely's ego was why the Jets let him walk. That was the best kicker I've ever seen the Jets have.

I can only assume you never saw Leahy kick. After a rough start to his career, he was money, absolute money for many years. Feely couldn't carry Leahy's jockstrap.

I can only assume you never saw Leahy kick. After a rough start to his career, he was money, absolute money for many years. Feely couldn't carry Leahy's jockstrap.

Feely has a better FG% and double the amount of 50+ yard kicks.

Feely has a better FG% and double the amount of 50+ yard kicks.

Leahy had a terrible start to his career and it was surprising that he wasn't cut. He turned out to be a truly excellent, dependable kicker with longevity that you rarely see at the position.

Leahy had a terrible start to his career and it was surprising that he wasn't cut. He turned out to be a truly excellent, dependable kicker with longevity that you rarely see at the position.

Not disagreeing with you, but Feely has the stronger leg and was just as accurate.

We will miss him. The guy has the right mind to kick in the NFL.

His mind is the exact reason the Giants and Jets both let him walk. Good kicker, but not irreplaceable.

The Giants downgraded at kicker as will the Jets.

He was the closest to a sure thign for the Jets at kicker going into this season. Nick Folk is awful. And I wouldnt want some rookie kicking in meaningful games in December.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5049805&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5049805

Kicker Jay Feely said he will sign a two-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals Friday morning.

The versatile former Jets free agent, who even punted for the team in last season's AFC wild-card win over the Bengals, was unable to come to terms with New York early in free agency.

During the Jets' open locker room availability Thursday, it was clear the team had made a break with Feely. The veteran's nameplate over his locker had been taken down and replaced by that of Nick Folk, who was signed by the Jets on Feb. 23.

Last season, his second with the Jets, Feely made 30 of 36 field-goal attempts, including a 55-yarder, and was a perfect 32-for-32 in point-after attempts.

Still, in a year when every veteran re-signing is being scrutinized by the Jets' front office, those numbers weren't enough to allow Feely his spot on the roster. The Jets asked Feely, 33, to take a pay cut despite his strong season and eventually, the parties were at an impasse.

Folk was cut by the Cowboys in Week 15 last season after hitting 18 of 28 field-goal attempts.

Prior to joining the Jets, Feely was cut by Miami after a 2007 season in which he made 21 of 23 field-goal attempts. He spent two years with the Giants and spent his first four seasons in the league in Atlanta.

Archived