Jay Feely is gone to the Cardinals...

gg

Not disagreeing with you, but Feely has the stronger leg and was just as accurate.

We will miss him. The guy has the right mind to kick in the NFL.

I would have liked to have seen him back, but I will trust Rex and Westhoff on this one.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feely was found by the Jets as a midseason replacement. They'll be able to do that again if they have to. In the meantime, they'll have at least one UDFA kicker in to compete with Folk over the summer. This is not a concern.

I hope Feely signed for Peyton money. Jets can now sign a UFA at the value of Feely's deal. That's the important thing here.

The Giants downgraded at kicker as will the Jets.

He was the closest to a sure thign for the Jets at kicker going into this season. Nick Folk is awful. And I wouldnt want some rookie kicking in meaningful games in December.

The Giants "downgraded", but won the Super Bowl. Fine by me. The Jets let him walk because either 1. they wanted the flexiblity to sign another FA or 2. the guy is a big mouth and difficult on coaches. Either way, I can live with the decision. I like Feely, but the team may be better off without him.

He was the closest to a sure thign for the Jets at kicker going into this season. Nick Folk is awful. And I wouldnt want some rookie kicking in meaningful games in December.

There's a reason he has been let go by 4 teams now in what 9 season (really 8 1/2).

Feely was great. Certainly the best Jets kicker I've ever seen. And I looked at him as a football player, not just a kicker. I'll miss that. I liked being the only team without a kicker that looked like he was 12 years old.

Hopefully, Folk can bounce back. He was pretty damn good his first two years.

The Giants "downgraded", but won the Super Bowl. Fine by me. The Jets let him walk because either 1. they wanted the flexiblity to sign another FA or 2. the guy is a big mouth and difficult on coaches. Either way, I can live with the decision. I like Feely, but the team may be better off without him.

I would have paid him. JMO...the guy came up huge in the Bengals game.

Was really the first Jets kicker I was ever confident in to make a kick every time he lined up. I always expected Hall and the other doofs to miss.

He was 30/36 though. But even if he was better, they're kickers, they're all fairly interchangeable and they all screw up in big spots, especially in the playoffs. Kaeding and Rackers are great Ks, but they screw up in the playoffs too.

Folk was bad last year, but prior to last year he's pretty much the same as Feely in terms of percentage. Kickers really aren't an important position and you can bring in anybody whenever you want for them. That's why Herm drafting one in the 2nd round was so damn stupid.

The Saints and also the Colts were just using random kickers they found.

I'm not sure how anyone can think Feely is anything more than average at best. But more importantly than that, the guy is one of the least clutch kickers in the league. For all of our bitching about Doug Brien even still to this day, we're now talking about the guy who missed 3 game-winning kicks in a single game. Not to mention sucking it up in the AFC Championship in a dome and the Atlanta game with the season on the line.

The fact is that he had half of a good season two years in a row, that's it. The first half of 2008 he sucked and the second half of 2009 he sucked again. Oh yeah, and his kickoffs are beyond brutal. The Jets could and should be able to upgrade the position for a lot less cost. Frankly, I'm glad he's gone. The worst part about having a mediocre kicker is far too often teams hold onto him despite his mediocrity because he's not that bad, only for the guy to hang around long enough to blow it when he's needed most.

Even more than the 2 Feely cost us this year? :P

The Falcons game doesn't count for me. I blame Kellen Clemens on the one of them. Sure, he had a bad game, but who doesn't? Nick Folk has a bad season and a half. He won't be able to kick in Decemeber. No way in hell he would be doing that. We finally found a kicker that the Jets can trust and we let him go to sign a FA who probably won't be productive to us due to the contract that Feely got. I don't know what his contract is but it's probably low.

Special teams are important for teams with great defenses. I doubt Folk will be a Jet after next season.

Manish just tweeted.

OY!

@ManishMehta1

BREAKING: Free agent kicker Jay Feely agrees to terms with Arizona Cardinals http://tinyurl.com/yer8pxs #nyj #jets #nfl

Thanks gg.

Interesting, at least the Jets can go out and sign somebody now even if it is just in the low to mid tier range. Definitely seems to be what the Jets wanted to happen.

From nj.com

Unrestricted free agent kicker Jay Feely has agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on behalf of either side. The deal is expected to net Feely 8.8 million over the next two years.

Feely, who spent the past two seasons with the Jets, visited with Arizona last month after Rex Ryan’s club signed free agent Nick Folk.

The 33-year-old Feely made of 30 of 36 field goals last season, but missed a pair of them in the AFC Championship game against the Colts.

With the mercurial Folk as the only kicker on the Jets roster, former Cardinals kicker Neil Rackers could be a viable option for Ryan’s team. Rackers, a Pro Bowler in 2005, made 16 of 17 field goals last season.

Feely will be reunited with former Jets safety Kerry Rhodes, who was traded to Arizona last month. Rhodes responded to the news of Feely's impending arriving with a message on his Twitter account asking Cardinals' fans to "welcome my homey @jayfeely to the squad just like u did me he's a super dude!!"

He was the Chad Pennington of kickers.

Pretty accurate, couldn't come through when it mattered most, and couldn't kick the deep ball worth sh*t.

That pretty much sums it up. Can any of the Feely lovers tell me why he will now be on his 5th team in 10 years? Great kickers do not get moved around like that.

From nj.com

Unrestricted free agent kicker Jay Feely has agreed to terms on a two-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals, according to a person familiar with the situation. The person requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on behalf of either side. The deal is expected to net Feely 8.8 million over the next two years.

Feely, who spent the past two seasons with the Jets, visited with Arizona last month after Rex Ryan

Holy crap, if that is true then the Jets are in great shape. Not only does it further validate them not bringing him back, depending on how front / back loaded that deal is they may be able to spend some pretty decent change on a UFA.

I don't believe the $8.8 million over 2 yrs number. Must be a typo in the article or something. That's close to Janowkowski money and he's the highest paid K in the NFL.

A $4.4 per average would essentially mean the Jets can sign any available FA.

Some of you make it seem like special teams mean nothing. A missed field goal in a close game means everything. A made field goal in close games means everything - I should know. :) Good luck with your dome guy, Folk.

Some of you make it seem like special teams mean nothing. A missed field goal in a close game means everything. A made field goal in close games means everything - I should know. :) Good luck with your dome guy, Folk.

Exactly...

I'm a little nervous with our ST unit...

Our punter is already 1/2 @$$...

What is the deal with James Dearth our long snapper...

We lost Wright and Murrell....

Those swirling winds in the NJ Stadiums are stuff of legend...Phil Simms always spoke about it...I would love to see how Folk, a dome kicker, cut by two teams last year(bc of missed FG's), will do there...Hopefully, Im wrong, and he's a pro bowler...

The best kicker everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr almost cost us the playoffs with his misses against Atlanta.

2 of those 3 were not his fault, one of those kicks against Indy was a 50+ yd attempt. Who would you rather have? Pat leahy? the man wasn't automatic on PATs, John Hall? he missed a chip shot in the '98 title game, Doug brien? Mike Nugent? come on.

Exactly...

I'm a little nervous with our ST unit...

Our punter is already 1/2 @$$...

What is the deal with James Dearth our long snapper...

We lost Wright and Murrell....

Those swirling winds in the NJ Stadiums are stuff of legend...Phil Simms always spoke about it...I would love to see how Folk, a dome kicker, cut by two teams last year(bc of missed FG's), will do there...Hopefully, Im wrong, and he's a pro bowler...

Regarding Folk, he wasn't cut by two teams last year. We're the second team he's ever played for.

The dome thing doesn't concern me that much. If you'll remember, his shining moment as a Cowboy was a 53-yard game winner against the Bills on Monday Night Football. In BUFFALO. And he made it twice, due to a last second "freeze".

What concerns me is the fact that he absolutely SUCKED last year. I loved Feely, but if Folk gets his **** together, he won't be a huge loss. That's a big if, though.

Archived