Honestly, I forgot about Matt Slausen,

Lady Jet

Well, he certainly looks big and fierce.

But size, while necessary, does not always tell the story. Anthony Clement was huge and he didn't get the job done at all a couple of years ago.

How much did Slauson play last year in a supporting role? If they kept him on the bench almost all the time, then I hope they pick up a decent veteran before preseason starts.

But size, while necessary, does not always tell the story. Anthony Clement was huge and he didn't get the job done at all a couple of years ago.

How much did Slauson play last year in a supporting role? If they kept him on the bench almost all the time, then I hope they pick up a decent veteran before preseason starts.

We'll throw in VD if Slausen doesn't work, but I think Slausen is going to be better than a lot of people think. Working with Callahan is the best thing for him.

Size does not always tell the story. You're right there.

But this is left guard, between Brick and Mangold. He should be fine there.

I'm a Faneca fan, but in this case youth makes sense.

Who has the odds for starting LG? I'd rate Slauson 3rd behind Ducasse and Turner

I'd put him second behind the favorite, Ducasse.

I see Turner more as Woody's backup, and the "blocking TE."

Vlad will be the opening day starter at LG-mark it down. They are saying it's an open competition between Slauson and Decasse but the job is really Vladimir's to lose and from what I'm reading and hearing they already like what they see.

Vlad will be the opening day starter at LG-mark it down. They are saying it's an open competition between Slauson and Decasse but the job is really Vladimir's to lose and from what I'm reading and hearing they already like what they see.

Agreed. I'd be fine with that.

I'd put him second behind the favorite, Ducasse.

I see Turner more as Woody's backup, and the "blocking TE."

No way. Turner is a guard. He played OG and TE in college. He weighs around 310 and came into the league as a guard, he's not moving to OT. I know Woody did it, but most of the time lineman move outside in, not vice versa. Turner backs up Mangold. Wayne Hunter is the backup OT. They both play TE. Last year when Mangold, Faneca and Woody were hurt in camp Turner played C, Hunter RT and Stanley Davis LG. I can only assume Slauson wasn't ready. Slauson may have moved ahead of Turner, but Turner's not likely to play tackle.

Seems like. They obviously were planning the move from the time they drafted Ducasse. I'm not so sure they were cutting Faneca if they just had Slauson and Turner back there.

The Jets are hoping that Slausen wins the LG spot so they can sit Ducasse for a year and groom him for the RT spot next year.

no WJ-they have him playing LG right off bro and notice how they cut Faneca hours after drafting him. The left guard position will be manned by Ducasse this year and he might be Woody's replacement next year at RT

No way. Turner is a guard. He played OG and TE in college. He weighs around 310 and came into the league as a guard, he's not moving to OT. I know Woody did it, but most of the time lineman move outside in, not vice versa. Turner backs up Mangold. Wayne Hunter is the backup OT. They both play TE.

You're right. I get Turner and Hunter mixed up.

Still think it's between Ducasse and Slauson for the starting LG position, with the inside track to Ducasse. They tried to upgrade Brandon Moore last year, and may have Slauson push him, too.

Or they might have Ducasse play LG this year, and RT next - with Slauson stepping into the LG spot at that time.

No one hopes to sit a highly drafted OL for a year.

The Giants did it last year with William Beatty. He sat behind McKenzie. Hell McKenzie didn't start as a rookie either and he was almost as a high a pick as Ducasse. This wasn't a first rounder, it's an extremely late 2nd on a team with very few holes that prepared well to have no needs at the draft.

You're right. I get Turner and Hunter mixed up.

Still think it's between Ducasse and Slauson for the starting LG position, with the inside track to Ducasse. They tried to upgrade Brandon Moore last year, and may have Slauson push him, too.

Or they might have Ducasse play LG this year, and RT next - with Slauson stepping into the LG spot at that time.

I can agree with everything, but I don't think they actually tried to upgrade Brandon Moore at all. They just didn't want to pay his bonus. I don't think they ever went around looking to replace him. Like Jones, they cut him and made an offer to sign him right back. Jones was insulted, but Moore signed back a few days later.

The Giants did it last year with William Beatty. He sat behind McKenzie. Hell McKenzie didn't start as a rookie either and he was almost as a high a pick as Ducasse. This wasn't a first rounder, it's an extremely late 2nd on a team with very few holes that prepared well to have no needs at the draft.

The Giants didn't get rid of any of their starting OL last year before drafting Beatty.

The Giants didn't get rid of any of their starting OL last year before drafting Beatty.

Agreed. That's why I make Ducasse the front runner, but it's certainly possible they would let the guy sit. IF they had released or traded Faneca prior to the draft it would make more sense. They waited until they had Ducasse, so I assume he's slated to be the replacement.

I can agree with everything, but I don't think they actually tried to upgrade Brandon Moore at all. They just didn't want to pay his bonus. I don't think they ever went around looking to replace him. Like Jones, they cut him and made an offer to sign him right back. Jones was insulted, but Moore signed back a few days later.

It was widely reported that we would have taken Ducasse with our first round pick but that changed when Wilson was still there. Even though we got him in the second round, the FO views Ducasse as top-tier talent and expect him to contribute this season. He will not sit unless he falls flat on his face.

They went after Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu pretty hard last year. When he resigned with Pittsburgh, the Jets turned around and quickly resigned Moore.

It was widely reported that we would have taken Ducasse with our first round pick but that changed when Wilson was still there. Even though we got him in the second round, the FO views Ducasse as top-tier talent and expect him to contribute this season. He will not sit unless he falls flat on his face.

Agreed. I'd be shocked if Vlad isn't the opening day left guard. It really is his job to lose in training camp. Should be fun to watch in Hard Knocks, the competition for the spot.

The Jets are hoping that Slausen wins the LG spot so they can sit Ducasse for a year and groom him for the RT spot next year.

I think they are hoping Vlad can start LG this year then RT next year and I think Slausen will play special teams again this year then move to LG next year

Turner will back up Mangold an Hunter back up the OTs

People seem to forget Bill Callahan coached Slauson in Nebraska and is very high on him. I'm betting Slauson starts and Ducasse either becomes the immediate backup or even supplants Woody for the RT job.
Being high on a guy and drafting him in the sixth round is very different than being high on him and starting him after he took only a few snaps in his rookie year. Just sayin.'

They went after Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu pretty hard last year. When he resigned with Pittsburgh, the Jets turned around and quickly resigned Moore.

You're probably right. I remember them having interest in Kemoeatu. I looked back and it seems they signed on the exact same day. The Jets allegedly offered Kemoeatu a little over $4M per and Moore signed for 4 for $16M. They probaby valued Kemoeatu slightly higher.

I remember JN calling me crazy because I was saying Moore was getting cut all offseason. For the few days he was on the street you'd think he was John Hannah. I call it the Chris Baker effect. You just knew he wasn't getting that bonus.

People seem to forget Bill Callahan coached Slauson in Nebraska and is very high on him. I'm betting Slauson starts and Ducasse either becomes the immediate backup or even supplants Woody for the RT job.

Slauson wasn't even the first G off the bench last year. I don't see how he starts. If they were grooming Ducasse for RT he wouldn't be practicing at LG already.

Considering we were seriously considering taking Ducasse at 29 before Wilson fell into our laps, I have a hard time believing anyone but Vlad is our starting LG week 1. You don't grade a guy that high and cut a veteran guard if you don't plan on inserting him right in there.

Also, I think we're assuming incorrectly that Ducasse is going to move to RT. Why is that a necessity? Ducasse is built to be a guard, so what would the point be in moving him in his 2nd season?

I think we'll draft a RT in 2011 to replace Woody. If Slauson was going to be anything more than a backup, I don't think we draft Ducasse as early as we did.

Considering we were seriously considering taking Ducasse at 29 before Wilson fell into our laps, I have a hard time believing anyone but Vlad is our starting LG week 1. You don't grade a guy that high and cut a veteran guard if you don't plan on inserting him right in there.

Also, I think we're assuming incorrectly that Ducasse is going to move to RT. Why is that a necessity? Ducasse is built to be a guard, so what would the point be in moving him in his 2nd season?

I think we'll draft a RT in 2011 to replace Woody. If Slauson was going to be anything more than a backup, I don't think we draft Ducasse as early as we did.

Why do you think Ducasse is "built to be a guard"? Physically he seems built to be a left tackle. He big, strong, quick and has long arms. He's just raw and needs time and coaching. They are presumably hoping that his power is enough to overcome his lack of technique at guard, but if he's such a mauler RT might actually be the best place for him. I agree they are planning to start him at LG, I just don't think that is necessarily the best place for him long term. OTOH, I agree it doesn't make much sense to start him at LG and slide him over in only one season.

What's wrong with starting him at LG and then moving him to RT? It's the OL...I mean David Diehl becomes a pretty good LT for a couple years.

I'm not a big fan of moving guys around too much. You're right it can be done and it has been done successfully. Mainly I just don't think it will be one year only. I don't think they can be that high on this kid at LG and still want to move him right away, the positions aren't identical. If they are just crossing that bridge when they come to it - Woody falling off a cliff, who is better value a new LG or RT - I can live with it and learn to love it.

Why do you think Ducasse is "built to be a guard"? Physically he seems built to be a left tackle. He big, strong, quick and has long arms. He's just raw and needs time and coaching. They are presumably hoping that his power is enough to overcome his lack of technique at guard, but if he's such a mauler RT might actually be the best place for him. I agree they are planning to start him at LG, I just don't think that is necessarily the best place for him long term. OTOH, I agree it doesn't make much sense to start him at LG and slide him over in only one season.

I think he's built like a tackle, too, and they'll take it as it comes. LG is where they have an opening right now, and that gives Ducasse a chance to get his feet wet in the NFL between two solid OL in Mangold and D'Brick. If they decide Woody needs upgrading soon, they can decide then whether moving Vlad or bringing in another OT makes the most sense.

Don't ever mention that ****ing name in my presence again! Worst football player.... EVER!!!!

Archived