Report: Revis wants $20M a year from Jets

jaspegs

Guys!!! Consider the source. This was written by Mike Lombardi.

Yes, Mike Lombardi; That same guy who said before the draft Faneca, Ellis and BT would be shopped around and probably cut. A few days later Faneca gets cut, the Jets tried to trade Ellis and will probably cut him too eventually.

Lombardi has worked a long time in NFL front offices. The guy has contacts.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rolleyes:

The World Champion New Orleans Saints and New York Jets disagree.

:lol:

Jenkins didnt ever start half the season and the Saints drafted another CB. Furthermore, the Saints are Champs because they had the # 1 offense in the NFL. Their defense was below average, especially the pass defense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/391792-why-will-malcolm-jenkins-become-the-sarting-free-safety-in-2010

:lol:

Jenkins didnt ever start half the season and the Saints drafted another CB. Furthermore, the Saints are Champs because they had the # 1 offense in the NFL. Their defense was below average, especially the pass defense.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/391792-why-will-malcolm-jenkins-become-the-sarting-free-safety-in-2010

Jenkins is getting moved to safety. The Saints still have two CB's ahead of Robinson whom they just drafted.

The Saints CB's:

Jabari Greer

Tracy Porter

Patrick Robinson

Jenkins is getting moved to safety. The Saints still have two CB's ahead of Robinson whom they just drafted.

The Saints CB's:

Jabari Greer

Tracy Porter

Patrick Robinson

Robinson's going to be better than Porter. Vontae Davis was a guy with the same strengths and weaknesses and he looked good as a rookie. I'd have been just as happy with Robinson as I would be with Wilson.

He might even outplay Greer if Greer has any lingering effects from his injuries.

Robinson's going to be better than Porter. Vontae Davis was a guy with the same strengths and weaknesses and he looked good as a rookie. I'd have been just as happy with Robinson as I would be with Wilson.

He might even outplay Greer if Greer has any lingering effects from his injuries.

I like what the Saints are doing. Greer is an absolute monster when healthy. All Porter does is make big interceptions. And Robinson looks promising.

What are your thoughts on Jenkins moving to S?

I like what the Saints are doing. Greer is an absolute monster when healthy. All Porter does is make big interceptions. And Robinson looks promising.

What are your thoughts on Jenkins moving to S?

His upside is Antrell Rolle, which is pretty good.

lol just trade him to Oakland for Asomugha then. I'd even take Russell in that trade. Or I'd trade Revis for a couple of 1st round choices from a crappy team, i.e., Oakland. Let Oakland have the best CB duo potentially of all time for their next 2 first round picks, we'd still get a top 5 pick each year because they won't win more than 5 games.

You don't break the bank for a CB.

I hope he knows by demanding this, he's hurting the team as a whole and will cause us to not win a title for a long time.

Exactly. If it means not re-signing some of our other best players, I say we have to let his contract run out, so our entire team doesn't fall apart.

Revis is arguably the best defender in football. He's easily the best player on the Jets. He's what makes the defense tick. He's young, great, and doesn't have a single off-season issue. In a nutshell, he's perfect. He will most likely be the league's highest paid defender eventually.

Revis is not being unfair, he's negotiating. He knows he's worth $15M a year at least, and wants to start making that money now. He's got a small window in his lifetime to make this sort of money. He needs to maximize his income now. The people who post on this board are more loyal to the NY Jets than anyone who wears the uniform. They're in business. Revis is making a small fraction of what he's worth, he's right to want more.

That said, the Jets have no obligation to pay him, either, because he is under contract. But the Jets need to weigh their options. Opening negotiations with the league's best defender does not set a precedent for every other player who wants to redo his deal early. Just the ones who look like HoF'ers three years into their careers. The Jets defense is not the same without Revis on the field. If he holds out, the Jets' Super Bowl chances take a devastating blow.

I am not 100% positive but I think I heard somewhere that if we buy back the 2 years that he voided, or will void we lose the right to Franchise tag him per the writing in the contract that was the only reason why Revis excepted that 6 year with the buyout/buyback clause.

I think you're right. Forgot about that.

Hopefully they'll be able to lock him up for something manageable. Revis may have been the main inspiration for buying out Gholston's contract this year. A team can't pay someone in the $15M range and have someone else eat up $6M+ in cap space and be a total zero.

Don't forget that Sanchez reached the escalator clause that bumped his base salary by $10M in 2011 alone. According to Jason's cap page, which I'm prepared to accept as being a minimum of 95% accurate, we're at $99.5M:

- without Mangold on the roster

- without Harris on the roster

- without Cromartie on the roster

- without Edwards on the roster

- without Holmes on the roster

- with Revis counting only $2M instead of the 99.999% guaranteed $6.5M he'd cost "if" Revis voids that year and the Jets buy the year back (let alone projecting his cap number with a new deal averaging $15M+)

- without redoing Ferguson, who will be in the last year of his rookie deal at $10M

- with Leonhard entering the last year of his current deal

- with Pouha entering the last year of his current deal

- without any placeholder cap numbers for any of our 2010 draft picks

- no presently-known replacement for Ellis

If Revis gets a deal redone now and has a 2011 cap number in the $13-15M range, we could cut Tomlinson (save $2.5M), Taylor (save $2.3M), Woody (save $3.2M), Hartsuck (save $1.6M), and Bryan Thomas (save $3.7M) for a total savings of $13.3M - before replacing those 5 salaries with 5 others in our top 51 - and still not have enough space to re-sign everyone we want when you add in our 2010 and 2011 draft picks.

Forget about any significant free agent additions for a while.

If the contract voids after the fourth year based on playing time (which it will), then the Jets lose the ability to tag Revis at the end of the contract.

You sure about that? You might be right, but it's not what your cite says and it's not what I've ever understood the clause to be. I'm pretty sure it just says we can't tag in lieu of exercising the buyback and doesn't preclude the tag after the sixth year.

You sure about that? You might be right, but it's not what your cite says and it's not what I've ever understood the clause to be. I'm pretty sure it just says we can't tag in lieu of exercising the buyback and doesn't preclude the tag after the sixth year.

I'm not sure myself but I thought I remembered that being part of the concession the Jets made with Revis to get that 6th year buyback out of him. Then again, if that's what Tannenbaum negotiated, then we negotiated nothing that we couldn't have with a straight 5 year deal and franchise tagging him in year 6 (which would also allow us to tag him again in year 7 if we couldn't reach a deal).

If they redo his deal this year then we really got less than nothing by having him hold out all summer so we could get that 6th year. He cost our cap more along the way, and we wouldn't have been expected to redo his deal until the 2011 offseason. Now with 2011 voidable, Revis and his agent are taking the stance that they're up for a new deal this year since his contract is up after 4 years instead of 5.

We'll see how this plays out soon enough I guess. But if we end up redoing it now it would seem we should have just signed him for $13M over 5 years like his draft slot warranted. If we didn't give away the right to tag him, and we end up exercising that 2-year buyback, then Tannenbaum looks smart.

That was my understanding as well. The idea being that the Jets wouldn't be able to exercise the franchise tag in an instance where it could potentially cost them less to do so then buying back the final year. I don't ever remember hearing anything before about any exclusions for the tag's use once the contract expires and frankly, I can't imagine the Jets agreeing to that.

The Jets are a win now team. The league is set up to ensure mediocrity over the long run. If Revis is gone in three years or we decide to over pay him at the expense of some other area of the club I don't see the big deal. If this team doesn't win in the next couple of years we will have to reduce the over all talent or get very lucky with late round draft choices anyway. Win now worry about Revis breaking the club later.

Then again, if that's what Tannenbaum negotiated, then we negotiated nothing that we couldn't have with a straight 5 year deal and franchise tagging him in year 6 (which would also allow us to tag him again in year 7 if we couldn't reach a deal).

It's a fine line between clever and stupid, but you have to give Tannenbaum the benefit of the doubt on this one. Especially since if that's the case we've got much bigger problems than keeping Revis happy.

It's a fine line between clever and stupid, but you have to give Tannenbaum the benefit of the doubt on this one. Especially since if that's the case we've got much bigger problems than keeping Revis happy.

No doubt. I'm just trying to cover both angles so I look like the smart commentator no matter which way it goes down.

You're right, as I was going from memory and barely skimmed through the article I linked.

I knew there was a provision preventing Revis from being tagged, and thought that it included the end of the buyback years. If Tannenbaum was able to effectively negotiate what amounts to a 4 year audition, followed by 3 years at market rate (assuming tag exists in new CBA) in the event that Revis turned into the star he has become, then my hat's off to him.

Since Cimini's now-defunct Daily News blog appears to be the source of this information, we'll have to wait and see if the details resurface at some point.

isn't the salary cap in the 120M range?

1) The owners are pushing for a reduction. Where it ends up is anyone's guess.

2) Did you not see the list of other high-priced players who are not yet under contract for 2011? Even if the cap is $120M, all of these players will not fit in the remaining $20M: Revis, Mangold, Cromartie, Harris, Holmes/Edwards, all of our 2010 draft picks, and all of our 2011 draft picks.

1) The owners are pushing for a reduction. Where it ends up is anyone's guess.

2) Did you not see the list of other high-priced players who are not yet under contract for 2011? Even if the cap is $120M, all of these players will not fit in the remaining $20M: Revis, Mangold, Cromartie, Harris, Holmes/Edwards, all of our 2010 draft picks, and all of our 2011 draft picks.

i can live without Cro, Holmes and Edwards. What have they proven as Jets?

Revis, mangold Brick and maybe Harris are the "must signs" in my book.

Revis is arguably the best defender in football. He's easily the best player on the Jets. He's what makes the defense tick. He's young, great, and doesn't have a single off-season issue. In a nutshell, he's perfect. He will most likely be the league's highest paid defender eventually.

Revis is not being unfair, he's negotiating. He knows he's worth $15M a year at least, and wants to start making that money now. He's got a small window in his lifetime to make this sort of money. He needs to maximize his income now. The people who post on this board are more loyal to the NY Jets than anyone who wears the uniform. They're in business. Revis is making a small fraction of what he's worth, he's right to want more.

That said, the Jets have no obligation to pay him, either, because he is under contract. But the Jets need to weigh their options. Opening negotiations with the league's best defender does not set a precedent for every other player who wants to redo his deal early. Just the ones who look like HoF'ers three years into their careers. The Jets defense is not the same without Revis on the field. If he holds out, the Jets' Super Bowl chances take a devastating blow.

You're certainly right that he can demand this and it's up to him and his agent to look out for themselves. But I'm more interested in seeing the team be competitive and maybe actually win the division, get a top seed and possibly win an SB. And, possibly, to do the first two year in and year out.

So far I have yet to see that out of this "great" Jets team. I saw 9-7 last year and everyone calling the team a fluke as they beat up a team that had no business in the playoffs and then squeaked out a win against perennial playoff chokers, right before getting blown out by another perennial choker that showed its true colors the very next game.

I would have preferred if everyone shut up this year, worked to get their ring, and then made noise about their contracts. The team would fall apart of course.

This is why QB is the most important position, if you have a top QB you can replace the other positions and just try to make sure you fill the roster with a lot of average players and a few good ones that won't ask too much. Teams whose best players are their CBs do not win many games, the CB just eats up the salary cap and doesn't contribute enough.

I would much rather Sanchez develop into a top 5 QB and the Jets have the best O-line in football than the Jets have Revis.

I think the Jets should just hold onto Revis and make him play out his contract. If he doesn't want to come in until Week 10 that's fine, just trade him to the Raiders for their 1st round pick for the next 2 years. Then that Revis-Namdi tandem that got so much press would come to fruition. The Raiders of course still would not win more than 5 games a year. Because even having the two best CBs is pretty useless.

Which is why the Jets should really consider all ways they can get value from him...including trade...when things like this are usually written about a guy he's usually hit the point where he's perceived to be worth more than he is...if Revis were to actually see 20 million dollars from the Jets I'd buy him as the truly perfect human he's been painted as this past year...20 million dollars is alot of f'ng money, and SAYING the D is built around one guy is very, very different from actually being stupid enough to build a D around one guy...a CB at that (even realizing I might be underrating the CB position).

Also, Revis has way more competition for best defensive player everz than that whole thing gets treated...I realize he plays for this team so obviously the fans will have bias, but I can think of 2-3 guys I'd take to start a D over Revis.

You're certainly right that he can demand this and it's up to him and his agent to look out for themselves. But I'm more interested in seeing the team be competitive and maybe actually win the division, get a top seed and possibly win an SB. And, possibly, to do the first two year in and year out.

So far I have yet to see that out of this "great" Jets team. I saw 9-7 last year and everyone calling the team a fluke as they beat up a team that had no business in the playoffs and then squeaked out a win against perennial playoff chokers, right before getting blown out by another perennial choker that showed its true colors the very next game.

I would have preferred if everyone shut up this year, worked to get their ring, and then made noise about their contracts. The team would fall apart of course.

This is why QB is the most important position, if you have a top QB you can replace the other positions and just try to make sure you fill the roster with a lot of average players and a few good ones that won't ask too much. Teams whose best players are their CBs do not win many games, the CB just eats up the salary cap and doesn't contribute enough.

I would much rather Sanchez develop into a top 5 QB and the Jets have the best O-line in football than the Jets have Revis.

I think the Jets should just hold onto Revis and make him play out his contract. If he doesn't want to come in until Week 10 that's fine, just trade him to the Raiders for their 1st round pick for the next 2 years. Then that Revis-Namdi tandem that got so much press would come to fruition. The Raiders of course still would not win more than 5 games a year. Because even having the two best CBs is pretty useless.

Wow, being just a TAD negative aren't we? The Bengals had no business being in the playoffs? Yeah, I mean all they did was won and swept an incredibly-competitive division featuring the then-defending Super Bowl champion Steelers and their AFC Championship opponents the Ravens. Just because the Jets beat them twice in a week doesn't mean the Bengals automatically suck. That's more of that pathetic "same old Jets" loser mentality.

As far as the Chargers are concerned, everyone in the world expected the Jets to lose and as far as the Chargers being playoff chokers, that was the first time the Chargers did not win a playoff game since Turner took over as head coach, so that's a load of crap. And then with the Colts, to say the Jets were blown out is just asinine. The Jets lost by 13 points, not great but hardly a blowout, they were winning into the second half and were severely limited late in the game by injuries at DB and RB.

Are the Jets undeniably the greatest team in the league? No, but they have the ability to be pretty damn good. For a change people are realizing that, so its time to get over this piss moan, same old Jets attitude where we have to find flaws with every positive thing that happens. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you on the players, they need to shut up and go out there and play, and Sanchez is absolutely the key, but that doesn't change what they have done and what they can do.

Agreed . All four are key players we've drafted that have proven themselves.

Depending on this year, I'd probably keep Edwards and let go of Harris.

Harris is a good player obviously, but lets face it...the guy is a ILB with a host of injuries going back to his college days...much of what he did last year was due to Scott being so good inside and the DL playing up...There's no need to dump a ton of money there when we can probably get a suitable starter much cheaper than that.

If I had to prioritize...it'd go...D'Brick, Mangold, Revis (those 3 are in no order...they're close to must signs)...then Edwards, who gives our young QB a veteran target with elite size.

This whole thing reminds of a story some of you might enjoy.

(I felt really old typing that statement)

Anyways, so I'm in the film business and back in the mid-nineties when independent films were so huge, this filmmaker I know made a film for $50,000, and wound up getting a lot of buzz around the community (this was at that year's Sundance).

So they set up a meeting with a distributor who had no idea how much they made the film for, the filmmakers prior to the meeting discussed how much they should ask for. Thier lawyer said $500,000.

The filmmakers thought he was crazy/joking, but when the meeting came around, he asked for the $500,000 in all seriousness.

The studio representatives responded with $450,000.

Ultimately, they got $450,000 for a $50,000 movie.

Of course times are different, and football is a different breed of business altogether, but the point is, is that I see this as an early number to begin the negotiations, if Revis and his agent truly believe they will get this, they are foolish.

I think if they get $20 million a year, they'd be estatic, but I think it'll be closer to Nnamdi's deal, probably a little more, that way he can still claim to be the highest paid CB in the league (maybe defensive player idk), and as a result everyone should walk away happy.

I dont think it is an area we should get too worked up over, I truly believe it will all work out in the end and Revis will remain a Jet (of course there's just a little good old-fashioned hope in that mind-set).

I love the players that we have, but if they continually say it's a business to them, they lose me as a fan

It seems as if Mangold, Brick, Revis and Harris will take a hard stance, wanting the BIG BIG dollar. That really scares me. Shows ZERO loyalty for the team that drafted, and paid them hansomely. Shows that they are not interested in winning, rather just their BIG payday.

Say what you want about Tom Brady, but he definately took a hometown discount

Lets see if any of these Jets players have character....I'm doubting it right about now

Depending on this year, I'd probably keep Edwards and let go of Harris.

Harris is a good player obviously, but lets face it...the guy is a ILB with a host of injuries going back to his college days...much of what he did last year was due to Scott being so good inside and the DL playing up...There's no need to dump a ton of money there when we can probably get a suitable starter much cheaper than that.

If I had to prioritize...it'd go...D'Brick, Mangold, Revis (those 3 are in no order...they're close to must signs)...then Edwards, who gives our young QB a veteran target with elite size.

Picking Edward Scissorhands over Harris is one of those things that makes people think you just say things to get people riled up.

I love the players that we have, but if they continually say it's a business to them, they lose me as a fan

It seems as if Mangold, Brick, Revis and Harris will take a hard stance, wanting the BIG BIG dollar. That really scares me. Shows ZERO loyalty for the team that drafted, and paid them hansomely. Shows that they are not interested in winning, rather just their BIG payday.

Lets see if any of these Jets players have character....I'm doubting it right about now

It's not about character. As slats said, these guys have about a ten year window to eke out as much money as they can to live off for the rest of their lives. So I don't blame the players one bit for playing hardball.

You hear the cliche all the time, but it is a business. It's not a hobby for them like it is for the fans.

The Jets are better with Revis, and without one of the 3 you list, instead of the reverse.

Revis ELIMINATES 60% of the teams in the NFL's passing game. Those teams with 1very good WR have their passing game eliminated.

This.

Revis does not get the "oh he's only a CB" treatment. Guy is easily one of the most valuable players in football regardless of position. Who else can do what he does consistently? I've sure as hell never seen it. Guy will match up with whoever you put in front of him and shut him down.

If it comes down to getting rid of someone, it's Harris, no questions asked. Easily the lst expendable out of Revis, Brick or Mangold.

And what of all the NFL team saying it is a business as well? :rolleyes:

It is funny when the Patriots were the reigning champions, JN rose up in defiance of the Patriots Management and chanted in perfect synchronicity that they were cheap organization.

Now, they want the players that were the core of their success to bend over and take one for the team.

Ridiculous.

And what of all the NFL team saying it is a business as well? :rolleyes:

It is funny when the Patriots were the reigning champions, JN rose up in defiance of the Patriots Management and chanted in perfect synchronicity that they were cheap organization.

Now, they want the players that were the core of their success to bend over and take one for the team.

Ridiculous.

Ah yes, because there's no middle ground between "bending over" and requesting an absurd amount of money? I take it you think that Tom Brady's contracts with the Patriots have been on par with what he would have been able to receive on the open market? Because if not, that means he was "bending over" and well... nevermind, bad example. Still, there's a middle ground between playing for pennies and wanting to be ridiculously overpaid by the team who drafted you and who you've only played half of your rookie contract for to date.

Ah yes, because there's no middle ground between "bending over" and requesting an absurd amount of money? I take it you think that Tom Brady's contracts with the Patriots have been on par with what he would have been able to receive on the open market? Because if not, that means he was "bending over" and well... nevermind, bad example. Still, there's a middle ground between playing for pennies and wanting to be ridiculously overpaid by the team who drafted you and who you've only played half of your rookie contract for to date.

No. He has clearly not 'chased every dime' in his negotiations, but let's not act like he is making minimum wage.

On the surface (i.e. not including bonuses), his reported extensions in 2002 and 2005, were worth 90+ million (over 10 years).

Did he get the 7 year-99 million Peyton got? No, but he got paid and paid well.

A PS17 and Slats said, this is likely their only chance to earn a huge bonus in their careers. Seeing the future CBA could further restrict this possibility, I do not blame them for trying.

Archived