LOST Mafia Game Thread

Vicious89x

I will repeat it again. The death scenes will be clear. It's not my intention to give you as little information as possible. My feelings are death scenes should always help guide the town to develop theories. Not make things more clouded.

I realize that, my comment wasn't meant to say it wouldn't be clear in the death scene if there was a conversion, my point was we may not be informed at the time of the conversion. Like in the Thing game where every time there was a conversion SMC posted his Lights out / "There has been an assimilation!" scene. Unless of course you feel like letting us know whether or not we'd get that. :P

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will repeat it again. The death scenes will be clear. It's not my intention to give you as little information as possible. My feelings are death scenes should always help guide the town to develop theories. Not make things more clouded.

No offense to the others but you're my favorite mod so far. Very, I will not be ****ed with, style. Thumbs up icon. :D

All the setup talk is interesting and all but at some point people need to start playing the game again. There's several people who I have no feel for at all and that's because they aren't saying anything.

Still waiting on Naeann to recap her thoughts.

I'd also like to know in particular which people BG was focused on since he mentioned it. Not including BG in the people i described above, but unless i missed it he didn't mention which particular people he was looking at.

Just to be clear, I've never said there's definitely no conversion (I've acknowledge that it's a possibility) or that it shouldn't be discussed at all, what I did say is the people who are so definitive about it are concerning me and that it absolutely can be used as a weapon by scum, even if it's true. It changes the complexion of the whole game, everything from role reveals to investigation results come into immediate question with no truly definitive way of verifying them.

What people?

I agree with all your points in theory, but we need to know if this is an actual case you're building, or a strawman case?

We can start with Smashmouth and his spelling out of an individual MiB who'll be recruiting all game. But Smash is one of those guys who seems to follow his own drummer in these games, and I'm not sure what to make of his post. With him, it could definitely be a townie theory - much like DPR/Fredo's ideas last game.

So anyone else?

No one is saying this is a "conversion game". Vic clearly mentioned MIB killing people. There is a potential for conversion, i.e., recruitment. Since the killing is so clearly stated, it certainly reasonable to believe that the main avenu of victory of the scum is NK. Thus, if there is a conversion ability, it is restricted. Perhaps they only have 1 shot at it, like in one of Doggin's game IIRC.

Accordingly, stop referring to this as a conversion game. There's no evidence based on what Vic wrote that this is a "conversion game." Thus, investigations are not nullified the next day or later on. Again, Vic mentioned killing. There is no way in hell scum could have unfettered NKing and conversion ability.

I think we're getting way ahead of ourselves with the conversion angle. My take would be similar to SMC's here, but I don't think there's any reason to worry about it now. If we get notification from Vic that there's been a conversion, that should be the time to add all the extra paranoia that Bleedin's trying to squelch now.

For day one, there's been no investigations, no conversions/recruitments, so we should just be trying to lynch scum today.

Back to Bleedin's point, and Pac made the counter. But it seems counterintuitive to say it's scummy to claim there is a conversion possibility. If anything, under Bleedin's logic, to deny there was conversion possibility would be scummy. In that way the scum could hide behind the notion that all investigations are valid.

I don't think so, SMC. I don't think that's what he's saying at all. You're a pretty straight-forward, linear thinking kinda guy. It's curious to me that you would come to that conclusion based on BG's posts. He's clearly leaving open the possibility of recruitment, just saying it shouldn't be a focus now.

Now we just need to see the list of people he feels are pushing conversion as a definite probability.

All the setup talk is interesting and all but at some point people need to start playing the game again. There's several people who I have no feel for at all and that's because they aren't saying anything.

Still waiting on Naeann to recap her thoughts.

I'd also like to know in particular which people BG was focused on since he mentioned it. Not including BG in the people i described above, but unless i missed it he didn't mention which particular people he was looking at.

Yeah sorry, needed to go back to get a better feeling on who were the most adamant. I had thoughts from initial impressions, but wanted to go back and reread before making any specific mentions. Going to do that now.

The notion of focusing on scum hunting is great but on Day 1 it's not so realistic. I can't remember ever seeing scum nailed out of the gates here. So while I'm definitely looking for things out of the ordinary I don't think anyone is going to hang themselves today. In fact on day 1 I'm inclined to go against the majority and go after the vanilla players. Odds are much better of getting scum there.

What do you mean against the majority? The votes are all over the place right now. I agree that scum is probably lying low. That's what they do. Especially early.

=

Why JiF weasel?

There's a whole host of reasons, but last night I was just flirting with Lily a little bit.

If you're actually town, I don't want to get tangled up with you the way I seem to every game. It's counter-productive. We know we're watching each other. Be nice to win on the same side once in a while. I haven't made up my mind whether I think this is going to be one of those games yet or not. ;)

What do you mean against the majority? The votes are all over the place right now. I agree that scum is probably lying low. That's what they do. Especially early.

I'm referring to later on when a solid train has developed.

Bleedin Im not sure why your making such an Issue about the theories that have been brought up to this point. This is something that happens on a regular basis in these games, and you know that, so why should this game be any different ? They may have been brought up a little early in the process but keep in mind it only takes one post to start off a chain reaction of agreement and disagreement. You made it sound like you were getting ready to vote someone who was involved with the discussion yet never casted a vote can you explain why ?

Based on the material Vic provided and reading the wiki I dont think any of the theories are far fetched, the bottom line is will just have to wait until we get some more info with lynches and NK's.

At first I put my vote on you as a joke first day vote but Im beginning to think I need to keep it right where it is.

the mod mentioned recruitment in opening scene, and has now twice said he's going to be straightforward.

Why are people scummy seeming who insist on a recruitment angle? I don't get it, it seems fairly clear at this point, but we should obviously PAFO

I also think that smashmouth is being smashmouth, he always talks about his opinions as if they are fact

and that sharrow had a great point about their only being early recruitments, based on thing game..

So, I think everyone would agree tat weare all over the place, right?

We don't have any solid evidence to move on, statistically, all we are most likely to do is lynch an innocent, and we could take pages and pages to do that. Why not just peserve our innocent, take the inevitable night kill (or recruit, or whatever), and get the info we need to start putting an informed theory together?

vote - No Lynch

We don't have any solid evidence to move on, statistically, all we are most likely to do is lynch an innocent, and we could take pages and pages to do that. Why not just peserve our innocent, take the inevitable night kill (or recruit, or whatever), and get the info we need to start putting an informed theory together?

vote - No Lynch

insanity

I don't think so, SMC. I don't think that's what he's saying at all. You're a pretty straight-forward, linear thinking kinda guy. It's curious to me that you would come to that conclusion based on BG's posts. He's clearly leaving open the possibility of recruitment, just saying it shouldn't be a focus now.

Now we just need to see the list of people he feels are pushing conversion as a definite probability.

Bleedin' clarified his post by saying he's dismissing the "conversion game" argument and, instead, recognizes the possibility of a conversion. As such, he noted that his view and mine are the same.

My point above that you highlighted concerned the point that pushing the conversion possibility (rather than "conversion game" per se) was scummy. To me, it works conversely because it would be easier for the scum to hide behind that (meaning, there were conversions but it's denied).

That said, I do believe we're focusing too much on this. Similar to focusing on protecting the avatar rather than hunting scum last game.

Firstly... GOD BLESS YOU whoever informed the powers that be to adjust our post counts! I was dreading reading thru 25 pages and instead only had to read 7!!!!

DPR is worrying me... I know he SAYS he is just toning down to stay alive but maybe he has a significant juicy role he'd like to get some action with.

Verbals vote jumping and lame reasonings is also suspect... maybe I'm suspecting DMers because I don't know how the Jets boys play yet.. cept Crusher.

My vote on Crusher was a silly day one random vote thing.. Odd to see it did pick up a little steam. I don't really see that he's done much that is suspect.. other than being rather spammy lately... is he always like that?

Unvote Crusher

I'd give Brett the benefit of the doubt right now imho... 2 games is hardly experienced. On DM he would still be considered NOOB even if he took out the big wigs of the game... chalk that up to luck or a helpful teammate? I don't know. Some people just have natural talent at the game.

I'm still trying to get names down on some people... and have to go back to look.. but someone in particular seems to have a vendetta against the DM'ers... the females in particular. :P

And lastly.. I know Lily talks a hell of a lot more.. but why does she already have like half of the green bars lit up for her rep and I have 1? I have the hot Jet's girl in my avatar! :P (I joke I joke):rolleyes:

You're not playing the same way. Me no likey. I know you wanted to "tone down" but that doesn't mean you can't tell us what's on your mind.

Don't get squirrely on me now. I am intentionally not saying much - which I've been open about - because every board has its style flavor, and I need to learn yours to play effectively.

I've played on five or six boards now, but JN is different because of the Doggin influence, the personality mix, and because ya'll are only used to a set number of roles, plays, and conditions.

I'll play. I don't trust lurkers anymore than anyone else. But I'll be careful about what I post.

vote - No Lynch

That's mighty benevolent and all, but it really just pushes D1 scum hunting to D2, no? I'd expect any NK's to be wifom-icious in that case.

DPR is worrying me... I know he SAYS he is just toning down to stay alive but maybe he has a significant juicy role he'd like to get some action with.

Verbals vote jumping and lame reasonings is also suspect... maybe I'm suspecting DMers because I don't know how the Jets boys play yet.. cept Crusher.

Hmmm... I've been wary of the DM'ers in question, too. I've been concerned that I was thinking that way because I don't know them that well.

Firstly... GOD BLESS YOU whoever informed the powers that be to adjust our post counts! I was dreading reading thru 25 pages and instead only had to read 7!!!!

he's being fairly obvious at hiding, which could be a gambit, but he has to know that at some point he'll be lynched for it, for exactly the reason you state..

Don't get squirrely on me now. I am intentionally not saying much - which I've been open about - because every board has its style flavor, and I need to learn yours to play effectively.

I've played on five or six boards now, but JN is different because of the Doggin influence, the personality mix, and because ya'll are only used to a set number of roles, plays, and conditions.

I'll play. I don't trust lurkers anymore than anyone else. But I'll be careful about what I post.

Make solid points and you'll be fine, and voting no lynch this early isn't careful.. at all

the only thing you'll have to be careful with is townie gambit/traps that endanger our power roles..

My vote on Crusher was a silly day one random vote thing.. Odd to see it did pick up a little steam. I don't really see that he's done much that is suspect.. other than being rather spammy lately... is he always like that?

Unvote Crusher

I'd give Brett the benefit of the doubt right now imho... 2 games is hardly experienced. On DM he would still be considered NOOB even if he took out the big wigs of the game... chalk that up to luck or a helpful teammate? I don't know. Some people just have natural talent at the game.

I'm still trying to get names down on some people... and have to go back to look.. but someone in particular seems to have a vendetta against the DM'ers... the females in particular. :P

And lastly.. I know Lily talks a hell of a lot more.. but why does she already have like half of the green bars lit up for her rep and I have 1? I have the hot Jet's girl in my avatar! :P (I joke I joke):rolleyes:

rrrrrrrrrepped

That's mighty benevolent and all, but it really just pushes D1 scum hunting to D2, no? I'd expect any NK's to be wifom-icious in that case.

Except that the death scene will give us information, as Vic has repeatedly promised, so the scum hunting should be a bit more focused, no?

Unvote Crusher

Now you have two bars :P

Except that the death scene will give us information, as Vic has repeatedly promised, so the scum hunting should be a bit more focused, no?

You're making me scratch my head man. I kind of get what you're saying, but who's to say that we get NO info if theres a conversion and no post about it?

Make solid points and you'll be fine, and voting no lynch this early isn't careful.. at all

the only thing you'll have to be careful with is townie gambit/traps that endanger our power roles..

That's your opinion, which is fine, but you guys are still stuck on turning your headlights off while you play, which is considered scummy on a lot of boards. So voice an opinion, but be careful about how you color things.

You're making me scratch my head man. I kind of get what you're saying, but who's to say that we get NO info if theres a conversion and no post about it?

1. If we get a nightkill, we ought to get some info about it. Vic has said tha he wants to give us info.

2. A nightkill cofirms we have a mafia team.

3. No nightkill tells us we either have a cult, or a mafia/cult hybrid that trades recruitment for a nightkill, or the mafia skipped their nightkill to play with our heads.

There are benefits to the town under each of these scenarios.

Regardless of which, we start D2 with one more innocent than we would if we lynch somoeone.

Let's be honest here, if anyone was even close to having enough votes to be lynched, I would look bad for suggesting a No Lynch.

But we don't - we're not even close. So a No Lynch is a viable alternative.

The other alternative is the usual train and forced reveal, which turns out badly for the town most of the time, IMO.

Thinking DPR's suggestion through, there seems to be no significant statistical advantage for the town to vote no-lynch to avoid lynching a townie and then seeing what happens the following morning.

Right now, special-to-standard setup the town has an 83-77% chance of lynching a townie this first day.

If there is no lynch and a successful NK, the percentage is down to 82-76%. If there is a SK/vig NK of a townie, then the percentage is down to 81-75%. Of course, if there is a SK/vig who NK scum the odds increase in the town favor. Whether there is a successful investigation is also be beneficial, but difficult to quantify considering that the cop would have to out him/herself to go that route day 2.

So while the odds improve slightly, and it's infrequent where scum get nailed day 1, is that enough to lose the chance of potentially crippling the scum by reducing their numbers between 25-33%

Does anybody else get that this is obviously an opposite of Doggin's game. MIB is more or less the Avatar, scum version.

NFN, but it always goes like that. The next game always incorporates cool things from the last game. That doesn't surpise me at all, we just need to figure out how Vic has evolved it.

That's your opinion, which is fine, but you guys are still stuck on turning your headlights off while you play, which is considered scummy on a lot of boards. So voice an opinion, but be careful about how you color things.

DPR why would you suggest a no lynch on the first vote of the game when all we have is a bunch of speculation ? I could understand if something came up that steered us in that direction Like Doggins Red Scare game but currently we have nothing to work on.

Not only that but it also gives the mafia the option to really **** with our heads if they so choose. I dont think we should be putting them in the drivers seat which a no lynch will most definely have the chance of doing.

Archived