1 member has voted

1. 1. how much should revis get?

• 10-11m.realistically,this is top corner back money
    • 12-15m.revis is that good
    • 15-16.3m.revis thinks tanny is as crazy as al davis

al screwed us big time here

revis won't sign for anything less than 'namdi money

but here's the rub

I heard on nfl network last night some nfl insider, I think it was clayton or kraft, that this year anyone who holds out after aug 10th gets a year added to their current deal, so that gives the jets a huge hammer, and in my mind explains why they are taking their time, they hold all the cards

who are the top 10 paid defensive guys?anybody?

In terms of overall contract value I believe its:

Haynesworth 100M

Peppers 84M

Ware 78M

Allen 73.5M

Freeney 72M

Clements 64M

Suggs 62.5M

W. Smith 60.8M

Curry 60.1M

Samuel 57.1M

In terms of dollars per year on a multi-year deal its:

Asomugha 15.1M

Haynesworth 14.3M

Peppers 14M

Ware 13M

Allen 12.2M

Freeney 12M

Suggs 10.4M

W. Smith 10.1M

Curry 10M

Jackson 9.8M

Its possible I missed a guy or two, but this should be close to the list. The teams basically invest in guys who can rush the passer, not guys who play the pass. On a per year basis Aso is the only non pass rusher to make the top 10 and hes only on a 3 year deal, whereas everyone else is at least 5. Asante Samuel makes the top 10 in total value as does Nate Clements, but the last two years of Clements deal are all funny money so his real value is nowhere near top 10. If he was removed another CB would jump up to the list which is Dunta Robinson at 57M.

When you look at things this way you can see why there is a big disconnect in numbers between the Jets and Revis. The Jets would be completely blowing up the way anything is done in the NFL by giving Revis a long term deal that averaged ridiculous money. I think it will be hard to accept paying him more money than Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen.

everyone's saying eff al davis... but I would argue Aso is worth that money. he's 1 of 2 players in the NFL who can shut down half the field. there are actually more franchise QBs than there are lock down corners.

I guess we could go name by name and say Aso isn't worth 15, Haynesworth isn't worth 14, Peppers isn't worth 13 and so on... or we can just accept that the market does what it does and in a free market Darrelle Revis is worth way more than 10 mil a year.

He's younger and worth more than all of those players, period.

Imagine Revis was a free agent right now... what would he be worth?

But thats the point. He isn't. He isn't anywhere near being a free agent. I know the Jets approached him about an extension, but the reality is his is a contract that did not have to really be touched until after the 2011 season. If you are the Jets why would you give any player over 45 million for the next three seasons when you are only on the hook for a maximum of 21? It doesn't make any business sense whatsoever. If you want to make the case he is worth more than whatever Al Davis felt Aso is worth thats fine. Give him 47 million at the end of his existing deal. Thats a touch over 11 million a year. Giving him a 90 million dollar deal with just 3 new seasons doesnt make any sense for the Jets.

everyone's saying eff al davis... but I would argue Aso is worth that money. he's 1 of 2 players in the NFL who can shut down half the field. there are actually more franchise QBs than there are lock down corners.

I guess we could go name by name and say Aso isn't worth 15, Haynesworth isn't worth 14, Peppers isn't worth 13 and so on... or we can just accept that the market does what it does and in a free market Darrelle Revis is worth way more than 10 mil a year.

He's younger and worth more than all of those players, period.

Absolutely. Revis is the reason this D was numero uno last year. This is a silly conversation. Rex Ryan has said over and over Revis is the best corner and said he should have been D player of the year last season, which means best defensive player. The best player should make the most money. Not only that, but Rex has said this is the best corner he has ever seen! If your coach says your the best player, then how is management gonna pay him 2nd, 3rd, 4th, best player type money or wherever some of you feel he should fit. No question in my mind.

Absolutely. Revis is the reason this D was numero uno last year. This is a silly conversation. Rex Ryan has said over and over Revis is the best corner and said he should have been D player of the year last season, which means best defensive player. The best player should make the most money. Not only that, but Rex has said this is the best corner he has ever seen! If your coach says your the best player, then how is management gonna pay him 2nd, 3rd, 4th, best player type money or wherever some of you feel he should fit. No question in my mind.

I bet Tannenbaum is at least mildly upset with all the praise Rex heaped on Revis, contributing to his skyrocketing value. Maybe he should have said "well, we feel Revis is one of the better corners in the league, he's pretty good at his job." :lol:

Just one other thing about teams making certain data points invalid in regards to contracts. Who is the better player- Albert Haynesworth or DeMarcus Ware? The guy who makes All Pro every year vs the guy with a rep for being lazy and rarely playing 16 games a season (not to mention three years older). Who got the better deal. Haynesworth. Why? Because teams in the NFL know Daniel Snyder is insane. They just throw these moves out. They all worked on similar guaranteed dollars (and there is nothing wrong with guaranteeing Revis 40 million) but on a year by year basis they just threw the Redskins deal completely out.

But thats the point. He isn't. He isn't anywhere near being a free agent. I know the Jets approached him about an extension, but the reality is his is a contract that did not have to really be touched until after the 2011 season. If you are the Jets why would you give any player over 45 million for the next three seasons when you are only on the hook for a maximum of 21? It doesn't make any business sense whatsoever. If you want to make the case he is worth more than whatever Al Davis felt Aso is worth thats fine. Give him 47 million at the end of his existing deal. Thats a touch over 11 million a year. Giving him a 90 million dollar deal with just 3 new seasons doesnt make any sense for the Jets.

It doesn't happen much anymore due to the ridiculous amount of money rooks make, but (here comes the cliche) Revis has outplayed his contract. It is not realistic these days to say "he is under contract until..." They don't pay him now, he don't resign later.

I bet Tannenbaum is at least mildly upset with all the praise Rex heaped on Revis, contributing to his skyrocketing value. Maybe he should have said "well, we feel Revis is one of the better corners in the league, he's pretty good at his job." :lol:

Maybe, but that would not be Rex's style. Plus, this type of bravado is the reason the players would die on the filed for Rex. So, on one hand, Rex's mouth has contributed to the Revis contract situation, but on the other hand, Rex is the reason that LT, JT, and every other player in the league wants to be a Jet.

Just one other thing about teams making certain data points invalid in regards to contracts. Who is the better player- Albert Haynesworth or DeMarcus Ware? The guy who makes All Pro every year vs the guy with a rep for being lazy and rarely playing 16 games a season (not to mention three years older). Who got the better deal. Haynesworth. Why? Because teams in the NFL know Daniel Snyder is insane. They just throw these moves out. They all worked on similar guaranteed dollars (and there is nothing wrong with guaranteeing Revis 40 million) but on a year by year basis they just threw the Redskins deal completely out.

Sure, everyone knows Snyder and Davis are buffoons with their money, and I am not saying the Jets should just give in to Revis' demands. The fact remains, however, that Revis means more to this defense than any other player in the league means to their defense.

Imagine I'm buying a house.

There are 2 other houses, on the same street, very similar to the house I want to buy that sold for $500k in the last year. Maybe the house I want is actually BETTER than those houses.

Can I make an offer of $350k and say "well the 2 other owners overpayed" and expect that offer to be seriously considered?

Another example let's say GOLD is trading for $1200 an oz. Can I buy an oz for $1000 with the logic that everyone else is overpaying?

my point... It doesn't matter if other people "overpay" in your opinion. All that matters is the market.

The market is what it is... and for all this talk about millions, don't forget the owners make BILLIONS.

all this being said... I agree with Jason that Revis' contract didn't NEED to be redone... but Nick Mangold's certainly should be. He's another homegrown 1st team all-pro, consensus best at his position palyer.

There's something fishy going on with the finances of the Jets and until someone from the core gets resigned, i won't believe they are just negotiating. I think there's a real possibility Woody's tapped out.

Sure, everyone knows Snyder and Davis are buffoons with their money, and I am not saying the Jets should just give in to Revis' demands. The fact remains, however, that Revis means more to this defense than any other player in the league means to their defense.

I know Im going to get hate for this, but Id wait and see before making the leap that he is the most important guy to the defense being the reason to give him the huge deal. He was in 2009. He may or may not be in 2010. If the Jets stumble into a legit pass rusher that guy is probably going to mean as much as Revis. Back in 2008, when the team could not rush the QB at all and then Jenkins became ineffective, Revis was still great, but was nowhere near as significant because teams ripped the defense apart elsewhere. Going into 2009 almost every fan said "Kris Jenkins is the most important part of this defense". Nobody is saying that in 2010. Maybe nobody will say it about Revis in 2011. We don't know until we see the product on the field.

his being said... I agree with Jason that Revis' contract didn't NEED to be redone... but Nick Mangold's certainly should be. He's another homegrown 1st team all-pro, consensus best at his position palyer.

There's something fishy going on with the finances of the Jets and until someone from the core gets resigned, i won't believe they are just negotiating. I think there's a real possibility Woody's tapped out.

Im not sure about tapped out, but I think there is probably some truth to it. Clearly the Jets sales are nowhere near what he expected. It seems as if its a fact that at least 10,000 PSLs are still on the market and that is alot of seats and revenue. Its not just the seat revenue either. A loss of 10000+ fans is a loss of merchandise, concession money, parking, etc...Who know how the luxury box sales all went and the stadium still does not have a sponsor. They had to have realized by late last year that they were going to be well under their forecasts for 2010.

I still think that the wild contract the Jets gave to Sanchez plays a role here as well. The Jets have to keep cap numbers low in 2011 because of his deal or extend Mark and probably pay a kings ransom to do so, something that should not need to be done for a 2nd year QB.

I think there's a real possibility Woody's tapped out.

Very real possibility. I am sure this recall on children's medicine is taking its toll on Woody's bottom line.

I know Im going to get hate for this, but Id wait and see before making the leap that he is the most important guy to the defense being the reason to give him the huge deal. He was in 2009. He may or may not be in 2010. If the Jets stumble into a legit pass rusher that guy is probably going to mean as much as Revis. Back in 2008, when the team could not rush the QB at all and then Jenkins became ineffective, Revis was still great, but was nowhere near as significant because teams ripped the defense apart elsewhere. Going into 2009 almost every fan said "Kris Jenkins is the most important part of this defense". Nobody is saying that in 2010. Maybe nobody will say it about Revis in 2011. We don't know until we see the product on the field.

Back in 08 Rex Ryan was not running this defense. I am salivating thinking about a full season with both Jenkins and Revis on the field! This D was amazing with good but not spectacular play at the NT position. It is simple really. Jenkins stops the run; Revis stops the pass. They are both tremendous impact players, but Revis has just begun his journey. To your point about a pass rusher becoming the most important player, they should be lining up at the door to play for this team (ala Jason Taylor). When you have a secondary like the Jets have put together, all the OLBs need to know is when to GO! There is no way, at this point, that a pass rusher can come in and have success without everyone making the claim that Revis is the reason.

There are 2 other houses, on the same street, very similar to the house I want to buy that sold for $500k in the last year. Maybe the house I want is actually BETTER than those houses.

Can I make an offer of $350k and say "well the 2 other owners overpayed" and expect that offer to be seriously considered?

Another example let's say GOLD is trading for $1200 an oz. Can I buy an oz for $1000 with the logic that everyone else is overpaying?

my point... It doesn't matter if other people "overpay" in your opinion. All that matters is the market.

The market is what it is... and for all this talk about millions, don't forget the owners make BILLIONS.

all this being said... I agree with Jason that Revis' contract didn't NEED to be redone... but Nick Mangold's certainly should be. He's another homegrown 1st team all-pro, consensus best at his position palyer.

Bit, your example doesn't hold up to the current situation. The Jets control Revis' contract for the next THREE years. By your example, say you wanted to sell your house, but you have a renter in there with 3 more years on an ironclad lease. It doesn't matter what anyone else offers you if you want to sell the house now. Either you keep taking rent for 3 years or you work out a deal with the renter to sell it to him. And he is NOT going to pay market value because he's the only buyer.

A lot of guys don't want to accept it, but the Jets should NOT pay market value when they have 3 years left on the deal. By offering to resign him at a higher rate, they are doing him a solid, but he needs to accept that there's a discount from market rate implied with that (not even factoring in the CBA issues next year).

I think if the number comes in at around $11-12MM per year for the next six years, Revis should seriously consider it. Or he can ride out the three years and hope he doesn't end up like Leon.

al screwed us big time here

revis won't sign for anything less than 'namdi money

but here's the rub

I heard on nfl network last night some nfl insider, I think it was clayton or kraft, that this year anyone who holds out after aug 10th gets a year added to their current deal, so that gives the jets a huge hammer, and in my mind explains why they are taking their time, they hold all the cards

yeah but!! the Jets went to Revis and said we want to redo your contract, we don't want you to play for 1 mil this season, so there goes the cards!!

yeah but!! the Jets went to Revis and said we want to redo your contract, we don't want you to play for 1 mil this season, so there goes the cards!!

yeah but !!

the jets are holding better cards, so they don't have to give revis the pot

LOL are you kidding? Seriously? In this market if someone offers $250k for a $500k house people will jump all over it. Anything that was valued at $500k has tanked down to that much, and it's getting lower.

The Jets already have Revis for 3 years, one of those years being at $15M. Maybe after this year the Jets will talk seriously, but the Jets would have to be pretty stupid to put that much into a CB.

I will laugh my ass off of if Sanchez becomes a top 3 QB in the league, and in 2 years demands a new contract, but the Jets can't afford to pay him because Revis, Mangold, Greene, Harris and whoever else all got overpaid.

The Jets overpaid Curtis Martin, Shaun Ellis and D-Fat and it took something like a decade to recover from that debacle.

I like Revis, a lot. I really do. But the Raiders suck. If Revis really thinks a CB is worth that much he can go to the Raiders and suck there even with Namdi on the other side. Teams that don't understand how to build will always suck.

You break the bank on your pass rushers, your QB, maybe a WR. You pay your O-line very well, even break the bank on 1-2 of them, although they'd have to be the best in the league at their position (the Jets actually do have this, heaven help us when Moore figures out that he is actually the best RG in the league). You don't break the bank on a freaking CB. Asante Samuel and Ty Law were damn good too.

Revis will go down as being one of the best CB's ever, and far better than either of these two.

When you think of all the Great Defensive players of all time how many CB's come up?? You think DE's DT's LB'ers maybe Ronnie Lott or Deon but you don't pay QB money to a CB if you want a Championship ...

We wouldn't be in this situation if it wasn't for Al Davis. With that being said, Darrelle Revis is the best defensive player in the league and he deserves to get paid like one. Pay the ****ing man!

He should get paid, but he also needs to realize that he's on a team that has a once in a lifetime chance to be special and that there are other players that need to get paid. Why should he care about other players, because this is a team sport. As we saw against the colts, revis can't do it all by himself. offer him between 12-15 mill. if he still says no, then as much as i hate it, because i do think he is one of the best if not the best defensive player in the league, it might be time to trade him and get the best deal we can.

When you think of all the Great Defensive players of all time how many CB's come up?? You think DE's DT's LB'ers maybe Ronnie Lott or Deon but you don't pay QB money to a CB if you want a Championship ...

That's the point. Revis is changing the game. He's as famous as most QB's, and more valuable than all but a handful of them. Rex has stated repeatedly he's never seen a CB quite like him, and he knows he's the most valuable piece to our D. We don't have a big-name DT or LB to pay other than perhaps Harris, so we can afford to pay Revis like the cornerstone of the D that he is.

Oh, and those 2 CB's you mentioned as the exception to the rule? Both won multiple championships. Just sayin'.

That's the point. Revis is changing the game. He's as famous as most QB's, and more valuable than all but a handful of them. Rex has stated repeatedly he's never seen a CB quite like him, and he knows he's the most valuable piece to our D. We don't have a big-name DT or LB to pay other than perhaps Harris, so we can afford to pay Revis like the cornerstone of the D that he is.

Oh, and those 2 CB's you mentioned as the exception to the rule? Both won multiple championships. Just sayin'.

Revis excelled in Rex's system so do Leonhard and Bart Scott and a host of UDFA's.. Hell why do we need 11 players on defense just pay Revis 50 million and let him play the other 10 positions also..

Revis excelled in Rex's system so do Leonhard and Bart Scott and a host of UDFA's.. Hell why do we need 11 players on defense just pay Revis 50 million and let him play the other 10 positions also..

Revis was a top-2 corner under Mangini too. He's just other-wordly under Rex, putting up arguably the greatest year a CB has EVER had in the NFL.

Leonhard and Scott are not in that category.

Revis has THREE years left on his deal. There is no way there should pay him $16M per year.

The NFL is a collision sport, he is one play away from a devastating injury (see Washington, Leon). That being said, the Jets should still take care of him up to a point where in makes sense for them.

They should pay him a very good salary but still save a little few $$; say $13M per year.

This is a business. Paying a guy $13M per year who still has THREE years left on his deal is in no way an insult. Gimme a freekin break.

Archived