Santonio Holmes Will Go Down As The Biggest Steal In NFL History

SoFlaJets

We're not talking a "Babe Ruth" type of deal are we?

not quite-I'll stick with biggest NFL steal ever. Man from what I've been reading about Holmes at camp so far and what Rex himself ( here; http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/2211-6-15-10-coach-ryan-press-conference ) said yesterday about him sometimes being the best player ON THE FIELD

Just think, this was our depth chart at WR less than a year ago:

1) Jerricho Cotchery

2) Chansi Stuckey

3) David Clowney

4) Brad Smith

Also factor in that we gave up peanuts to upgrade the position with Braylon & Santonio and Tannenbaum deserves kudos for a job well done.

Just think, this was our depth chart at WR less than a year ago:

1) Jerricho Cotchery

2) Chansi Stuckey

3) David Clowney

4) Brad Smith

Also factor in that we gave up peanuts to upgrade the position with Braylon & Santonio and Tannenbaum deserves kudos for a job well done.

I gotta admit, for Cotchery to have been our #1 and bought in talent to have him become our #3 is pretty awesome because truth be told, Cotch is certainly a legit #2 in this league.

I gotta admit, for Cotchery to have been our #1 and bought in talent to have him become our #3 is pretty awesome because truth be told, Cotch is certainly a legit #2 in this league.

and the cool thing about J-Co VTF is that you haven't heard one complaint from him about it-he's a team-first guy which Holmes is also being in camp-even helping out Edwards (from a story I read today) and encouraging him by saying he could be the best receiver in the league

and the cool thing about J-Co VTF is that you haven't heard one complaint from him about it-he's a team-first guy which Holmes is also being in camp-even helping out Edwards (from a story I read today) and encouraging him by saying he could be the best receiver in the league

Cotchery is going to have a monster year IMO.

When the Pats went 18-1, their offense was so successful IMO because they had more guys out there that could catch the ball then other teams had that could cover.

Name some teams that have the depth at DB to handle Cotchery as a 3rd option and I don't even need to bring up Keller as a 4th. :eek:

When the Pats went 18-1, their offense was so successful IMO because they had more guys out there that could catch the ball then other teams had that could cover.

Name some teams that have the depth at DB to handle Cotchery as a 3rd option and I don't even need to bring up Keller as a 4th. :eek:

And if the reports from OTAs last week were accurate, McKnight is a bitch to cover out of the backfield, not to mention LT.

Mostly it was because one of those guys happens to be the most dominant playmaking WR in league history (arguably).

Holmes is slightly overrated, but he does have a winning pedigree so maybe I underrate.

Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris, Cromartie, Holmes, Edwards. My guess is at least 2, probably 3, hopefully 4, of those players wont be resigned. So theres a decent chance Holmes only plays 12 games as a Jet. He's one screwup away from a 1 yr ban so he may be one of the odd men out.

Also, doesnt matter who the WRs are, I dont see the Jets moving away from thier core (winning) strategy unless theyre forced to. Run, run, play action, occasional shots down field, protect the ball, rely on the D, wear teams down, force turnovers etc. I HOPE the coaches decide to unleash Sanchez and let him throw it 30-40 times a game to his "great receivers", but I think theyre smarter than that.

Revis, Mangold, Ferguson, Harris, Cromartie, Holmes, Edwards. My guess is at least 2, probably 3, hopefully 4, of those players wont be resigned. So theres a decent chance Holmes only plays 12 games as a Jet. He's one screwup away from a 1 yr ban so he may be one of the odd men out.

Also, doesnt matter who the WRs are, I dont see the Jets moving away from thier core (winning) strategy unless theyre forced to. Run, run, play action, occasional shots down field, protect the ball, rely on the D, wear teams down, force turnovers etc. I HOPE the coaches decide to unleash Sanchez and let him throw it 30-40 times a game to his "great receivers", but I think theyre smarter than that.

Tanne will find a way to sign the all. Who is Miamis WRs--------:confused:

What would force them to is having the level of talent to be able to. This is a passing league yes, but the Jets know that to put a game away you must have that ground and pound, or you'll be great like Peyton with just 1 ring.

The Jets had their core strategy given that they didnt have the talent at WR. They have that now. They also didnt have a QB that could stretch the field in Penny, They have that now. Im not saying that all of a sudden we're going to be pass happy. What I am saying though is to not be suprised that Sanchez has about 3 or 4 300+ yard games this year.

What would force them to is having the level of talent to be able to. This is a passing league yes, but the Jets know that to put a game away you must have that ground and pound, or you'll be great like Peyton with just 1 ring.

The Jets had their core strategy given that they didnt have the talent at WR. They have that now. They also didnt have a QB that could stretch the field in Penny, They have that now. Im not saying that all of a sudden we're going to be pass happy. What I am saying though is to not be suprised that Sanchez has about 3 or 4 300+ yard games this year.

I still think the strength of the Jets lies in thier defense and thier OL. Your best chance of winning games is to do what you did late last year, run and play defense. Your best chance of losing games is for Mark sanchez to turn the ball over. Just an opinion though.

Mostly it was because one of those guys happens to be the most dominant playmaking WR in league history (arguably).

Holmes is slightly overrated, but he does have a winning pedigree so maybe I underrate.

There's no one like Randy Moss, agreed.

And I'm not suggesting we are going to have the leagues most prolific offense either.

But, I am suggesting that we've put ourselves in a situation where we have more guys who can reliably catch the ball than most teams have guys that can cover.

Moss, Welker, Stallworth were great, but they don't look light years ahead of Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery by any means. Then you toss Keller, LT, and McKnight and you're really putting Sanchez in a position to be very successful.

Jets ran the ball more than anyone in the league last year with a 60/40 run/pass ratio. You definitely will not see that this year. It won't be overly dramatic but I figure they're planning a shift to 55/45, and sticking to that will depend on how well the running game's going.

Sanchez has a pretty deep ball, and with two legitimate downfield threats, you'll see them look to exploit that.

LT gives them a pass catching threat that they didn't have before out of the backfield, and they're already talking up McKnight as a guy they might be willing to use in the slot.

Sanchez averaged 24 att/game last year. You won't see anything like a regular diet of 30-40, but I think you'll see that average come up as many as 3 or 4 per game.

Cotchery is going to catch a lot of passes this year - if we throw it alot that is. The other two will draw coverage and cotch should be able to work similiar to how welker does..

I still think the strength of the Jets lies in thier defense and thier OL. Your best chance of winning games is to do what you did late last year, run and play defense. Your best chance of losing games is for Mark sanchez to turn the ball over. Just an opinion though.

We're still going to be a running team IMO.

The difference is, you're going to to rely even more heavily on your front 7 to stop us, and often times, need to be in nickel and dime packages.

We'll be more dangerous in obvious passing situations w/ the ability to spread the field, and I'd be shocked if we don't take more deep shots. Braylon will still drop balls, but he's going to get a lot of looks, because you can't double w/ cotch and santonio taking the intermediary routes.

This season should be fun to watch.

We're still going to be a running team IMO.

The difference is, you're going to to rely even more heavily on your front 7 to stop us, and often times, need to be in nickel and dime packages.

We'll be more dangerous in obvious passing situations w/ the ability to spread the field, and I'd be shocked if we don't take more deep shots. Braylon will still drop balls, but he's going to get a lot of looks, because you can't double w/ cotch and santonio taking the intermediary routes.

This season should be fun to watch.

I agree. Braylon will drop 6 passes this year, one will be an 84 yard TD pass yes lol, however, this is his first season at OTA's, mini camp etc. Outside of his drops, he'll know the offense MUCH better as well as be here for the entire season. We didnt have that luxury last year. he'll drop 6 or 7 but will catch about 70 incredible catches. Lets just hope that those 6 drops are not 6 TD passes.

Its funny, its not really the problem that Braylon drops passes, its just the passes that he does drop. He'll make the most incredible catch you've ever seen and then drop a wide open pass right in the bread basket. At first I thought it may be concentration, but then I thought that in order for that to be he would have to show lack of effort which he never does. I just think that his talent comes with a couple big drops here and there. I think that is cool for a #2. Santonio drops nothing and his YAC is just stupid. This year, especially come week 5 is going to be something of beauty.

Lets just hope we can make it to week 5 atleast 3-1.

That vikings game is going to be sweet. Favre vs Sanchez, Peterson vs Greene, Shiancoe vs Keller, Berrian, Rice, Harvin Vs Holmes, Edwards, Cotchery. 4-3 vs 3-4. I think i'll be at this game now that I just typed this lol.

Its funny, its not really the problem that Braylon drops passes, its just the passes that he does drop. He'll make the most incredible catch you've ever seen and then drop a wide open pass right in the bread basket. At first I thought it may be concentration, but then I thought that in order for that to be he would have to show lack of effort which he never does.

My solution: Have Sanchez wildly overthrow Braylon on every pass, forcing him to make a circus catch.

Im pretty sure we are talking about this year. Unlike the Phags who sold the farm to sign a twice surgical hip WR, we got Holmes, Edwards and Cro for basically a one year rental. Let's stick to this year and not troll into next year when their may not even be a season.

we do... if revis doesn't holdout

I expect us to be a balanced offense this year. I assume we'll stick with whatever is working in a game but when it comes down to it, I think we're going to be much less predictable.

he could pull a vjax and sit for 10 games and come back game 11 to get "credit' for the year.

Would he be willing to do that for 2 years afterwards as well?

3 more if there's a franchise tag?

Revis would have to take a Ted Williams-eske leave to be done from the Jets.

Would he be willing to do that for 2 years afterwards as well?

3 more if there's a franchise tag?

Revis would have to take a Ted Williams-eske leave to be done from the Jets.

i don't think he will but he could do the vjax maneuver, then demand a trade next year. if jets refuse, he can decide then what to do. really this is the year he has the problem with ($1 million) - we got him for $10 mill the next two, and while that may be slightly underpaid i'd doubt he sit for those.

i don't think he will but he could do the vjax maneuver, then demand a trade next year. if jets refuse, he can decide then what to do. really this is the year he has the problem with ($1 million) - we got him for $10 mill the next two, and while that may be slightly underpaid i'd doubt he sit for those.

He could. I just see that as going all in with a pretty weak hand.

i love the holmes deal... but keep in mind 1) he's missing 1/4 of the season 2) he's 1 screw up away from indefinite suspension.

Aaaaah who cares about a suspension. I say let him tea bag Goodell. That'll be worth atleast a week. C'mon. Goodell can let the Pats steal SB's and he did nothing but take away money that Belly has a TON of.

Imagine a middle finger......now imagine it being pointed a Goodell. :-)

I don't expect our offensive strategy to be all that different from last year's ground & pound. The reason this team is better as an offense for 2011 is not because they ARE changing their offensive approach but because they CAN. They have the tools now to stay competitive if the game gets away from them or if the defense is (as will rarely be the case) struggling.

Archived